Editing OpenSim.ini in the console

Ken Grunke
Someone asked on #osgrid if a config value could be changed in the
console, so I decided to look into it. In the console, I made a simple
noncritical change to OpenSim.ini and saved it using config set and
config save <file> commands.

All comments were stripped from the file, reducing the file to a neat
334 lines as opposed to 1406 in the original. But that also stripped
quotes from values that had them, resulting in startup failure.

I realize this isn't the appropriate channel to report bugs, just
asking if people feel this a useful feature. I think it can be, if the
config file can be "rehashed" (for lack of a better term) without
restarting the whole simulator. No idea if this is possible myself. I
would file my first mantis with a little encouragement.

-
Ken aka Key Gruin

Re: Editing OpenSim.ini in the console

Marcus Llewellyn
I remember once looking into the way OpenSimulator handles it's INI files. This was quite a while ago so I'm sorta fuzzy on it. But the assembly it uses, Nini, has both low-level functions for manipulating an INI, and higher-level wrappers that perform a lot of important tasks very easily and with a minimum of code. IIRC, OpenSim uses the latter almost exclusively, and those wrappers aren't very good at retaining human readable files with comments. There's also a few bugs in Nini, and I think that the quotes getting stripped might be one of those.

Long story short, fixing this would be best handled with upstream patches to Nini, which itself hasn't seen a new release in 4 years now. This could conceivably also be fixed by using the lower-level functions that Nini offers, but this would be a non-trivial piece of work for a developer, and result in significantly more code with a few ugly bits.

Could also replace Nini too, I 'spose, but I'm not immediately aware of an adequate cross platform solution that would suffice.

Anyhoo, I'd definitely regard the console config commands as currently unsupported and b0rked. A mantis couldn't hurt, if one doesn't already exist.

-Marcus