Exception

scotto

I have installed (apparently) too many scripts, and I'm getting an "out of memory" error (with 48 Gbytes of memory, this is unlikely).  None of my accounts can currently log in.  Any help would be appreciated.  The precise message for just about everything now is Exception of type 'System.OutOfMemoryException' was thrown.

Is there a memory parameter that restricts memory usage within OpenSIM?

Cheers,

scotto…

--

Scott Overmyer, PhD

Professor, Computational Sciences

Nazarbayev University

53 Kabanbay batyr Ave.,

Astana, 010000

Kazakhstan

Tel: +7 (7212) 70-65-68

Email: [hidden email]

Re: Exception

James Stallings II
Greetings Scott,

mono/.net binaries cannot utilize in excess of 2GB of memory without certain special one-off operations being conducted upon them, and then they can only access up 4GB. Having a box with 48 GB of Ram is not proof against processes running out of memory.

Cheers
James

On Thu, Jun 28, 2012 at 10:52 PM, Scott Overmyer <[hidden email]> wrote:

I have installed (apparently) too many scripts, and I'm getting an "out of memory" error (with 48 Gbytes of memory, this is unlikely).  None of my accounts can currently log in.  Any help would be appreciated.  The precise message for just about everything now is Exception of type 'System.OutOfMemoryException' was thrown.

Is there a memory parameter that restricts memory usage within OpenSIM?

Cheers,

scotto…

--

Scott Overmyer, PhD

Professor, Computational Sciences

Nazarbayev University

53 Kabanbay batyr Ave.,

Astana, 010000

Kazakhstan

Tel: <a href="tel:%2B7%20%287212%29%2070-65-68" value="+77212706568" target="_blank">+7 (7212) 70-65-68

Email: [hidden email]

Re: Exception

Fleep Tuque
Hi Scott,

You may want to review this thread from when I was experiencing similar error messages, it includes a couple of posts from Justin and others that were very helpful in understanding memory limitations of Opensim:

For me the solution was to split the simulators across multiple opensim processes (I'm running in grid mode) and eventually upgrading to 0.7.3 which supports 64 bit OS.  I have some notes that may be of use if you plan to do this at:

Best of luck and let us know how it works out!

- Chris

Chris M. Collins (SL/OS: Fleep Tuque)
Center for Simulations & Virtual Environments Research (UCSIM)
UCIT Instructional & Research Computing
University of Cincinnati
406A Zimmer Hall
315 College Drive
PO BOX 210088
Cincinnati, OH 45221-0088
(513) 556-3018

http://ucsim.uc.edu

On Thu, Jun 28, 2012 at 11:52 PM, Scott Overmyer <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Hi James,

Thanks for your reply.

So I'm finding out.  I've made the OpenSIM grid run again by setting a switch that fixes the amount of memory that scripts are taking up, but there should be some permanent solution out there somewhere.

Cheers,
scotto...

On Fri, Jun 29, 2012 at 6:30 PM, James Stallings II <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

InuYasha Meiji
I still watch as my memory runs out on my 56 region standalone grid
using 8 GB running on my Windows 7 64bit machine on opensim.exe using
version 7.3.1. Seeing that I installed the win7 64bit shouldn't it be
using the .net with the 4gb limit? Oh and I think I need to know a litle
more about taking a standalone grid not on the hypergrid and making it
so I can run it under several instances. Do I have to switch to useing
grid mode and the Robust system or will it all work using what I am
doing now only different directories and each running a small set of
regions?

I was planning a huge upgrade with lots of memory on a server, from what
I read on the link I would have to do this to benifit from the upgrade
anyways, so I should try it now.

Thanks for the help and time,
InuYasha

On 6/29/2012 8:47 AM, Fleep Tuque wrote:

> Hi Scott,
>
> You may want to review this thread from when I was experiencing
> similar error messages, it includes a couple of posts from Justin and
> others that were very helpful in understanding memory limitations of
> Opensim:
>
> http://opensim-users.2152040.n2.nabble.com/Intermittent-crashing-System-OutofMemoryException-td7281298.html
>

> For me the solution was to split the simulators across multiple
> opensim processes (I'm running in grid mode) and eventually upgrading
> to 0.7.3 which supports 64 bit OS. I have some notes that may be of
> use if you plan to do this at:
>
> http://ucopensim.wikispaces.com/Server+Change+Log
>
> Best of luck and let us know how it works out!
>
> - Chris
>

> Chris M. Collins (SL/OS: Fleep Tuque)
> Center for Simulations & Virtual Environments Research (UCSIM)
> UCIT Instructional & Research Computing
> University of Cincinnati
> 406A Zimmer Hall
> 315 College Drive
> PO BOX 210088
> Cincinnati, OH 45221-0088
> [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>
> (513) 556-3018
>
> http://ucsim.uc.edu
>
> On Thu, Jun 28, 2012 at 11:52 PM, Scott Overmyer <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>     I have installed (apparently) too many scripts, and I'm getting an
>     "out of memory" error (with 48 Gbytes of memory, this is
>     unlikely). None of my accounts can currently log in. Any help
>     would be appreciated. The precise message for just about
>     everything now is Exception of type 'System.OutOfMemoryException'
>     was thrown.
>
>     Is there a memory parameter that restricts memory usage within
>     OpenSIM?
>
>     Cheers,
>
>     scotto…
>
>     --
>
>     Scott Overmyer, PhD
>
>     Professor, Computational Sciences
>
>     Nazarbayev University
>
>     53 Kabanbay batyr Ave.,
>
>     Astana, 010000
>
>     Kazakhstan
>
>     Tel: +7 (7212) 70-65-68 <tel:%2B7%20%287212%29%2070-65-68>
>
>     Email: [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>

Opensim User: Standalone Grid on Version 0.7.3.1 with 56 Regions
on Windows 7, 64-bit. Phenom 9500 2.2 ghz Quad Core, Terabyte Hard
Drive, 8gig DDR2 RAM.  Used XAMPP to load PHP Version 5.3.0, Apache
and MySQL 5.1.41-community edition.  Groups, Profiles, Voice and
Offline Mesages all working. (Not yet Public, 6 users allowed Now).

Re: Exception

I'm rather surprised - on 64 bit you should be able to access more than 4GB on mono and .net (assuming you are running
OpenSim.exe and not OpenSim.32BitLaunch.exe).

On unix, you will also want to check that ulimit isn't limiting the amount of memory or other resources that a process
can take up.

On 29/06/12 14:23, Scott Overmyer wrote:

> Hi James,
>
> Thanks for your reply.
>
> So I'm finding out.  I've made the OpenSIM grid run again by setting a switch that fixes the amount of memory that
> scripts are taking up, but there should be some permanent solution out there somewhere.
>
> Cheers,
> scotto...
>
> On Fri, Jun 29, 2012 at 6:30 PM, James Stallings II <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>     Greetings Scott,
>
>     mono/.net binaries cannot utilize in excess of 2GB of memory without certain special one-off operations being
>     conducted upon them, and then they can only access up 4GB. Having a box with 48 GB of Ram is not proof against
>     processes running out of memory.
>
>     Cheers
>     James
>

>     On Thu, Jun 28, 2012 at 10:52 PM, Scott Overmyer <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>         I have installed (apparently) too many scripts, and I'm getting an "out of memory" error (with 48 Gbytes of
>         memory, this is unlikely).  None of my accounts can currently log in.  Any help would be appreciated.  The
>         precise message for just about everything now is Exception of type 'System.OutOfMemoryException' was thrown.
>
>         Is there a memory parameter that restricts memory usage within OpenSIM?
>
>         Cheers,
>
>         scotto…
>
>         --
>
>         Scott Overmyer, PhD
>
>         Professor, Computational Sciences
>
>         Nazarbayev University
>
>         53 Kabanbay batyr Ave.,
>
>         Astana, 010000
>
>         Kazakhstan
>
>         Tel: +7 (7212) 70-65-68 <tel:%2B7%20%287212%29%2070-65-68>
>
>         Email: [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>

>     --

http://justincc.org/blog

Re: Exception

Gwyneth Llewelyn
I wrote an article about running multiple instances in grid mode, with automatic monitoring:

http://gwynethllewelyn.net/2012/06/01/opensimulator-multiple-instances-and-monitoring/

This is for Linux; SignpostMarv Martin wrote something similar for Windows Server 2008:

I hope it might be useful for you, Inu :)

    - Gwyn

On Thu, Jun 28, 2012 at 11:52 PM, Scott Overmyer <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:

   I have installed (apparently) too many scripts, and I'm getting an
   "out of memory" error (with 48 Gbytes of memory, this is
   unlikely). None of my accounts can currently log in. Any help
   would be appreciated. The precise message for just about
   everything now is Exception of type 'System.OutOfMemoryException'
   was thrown.

   Is there a memory parameter that restricts memory usage within
   OpenSIM?

   Cheers,

   scotto…

   --

   Scott Overmyer, PhD

   Professor, Computational Sciences

   Nazarbayev University

   53 Kabanbay batyr Ave.,

   Astana, 010000

   Kazakhstan

   Tel: <a href="tel:%2B7%20%287212%29%2070-65-68" value="+77212706568" target="_blank">+7 (7212) 70-65-68 <tel:%2B7%20%287212%29%2070-65-68>

   Email: [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>

Opensim User: Standalone Grid on Version 0.7.3.1 with 56 Regions
on Windows 7, 64-bit. Phenom 9500 2.2 ghz Quad Core, Terabyte Hard
Drive, 8gig DDR2 RAM.  Used XAMPP to load PHP Version 5.3.0, Apache
and MySQL 5.1.41-community edition.  Groups, Profiles, Voice and
Offline Mesages all working. (Not yet Public, 6 users allowed Now).

"I'm not building a game. I'm building a new country."
  -- Philip "Linden" Rosedale, interview to Wired, 2004-05-08

"I'm not building a game. I'm building a new country."
  -- Philip "Linden" Rosedale, interview to Wired, 2004-05-08

Re: Exception

InuYasha Meiji
Well I am not sure about .net on windows 7 64bit, it was only something
I read on those links, but they where a bit old talking about 7.2 and
all.  I was asking because I don't know.  Like I said, I am saving for a
monster of a machine, hoping for a multi CPU each with multi core and a
huge amount of memory. I wanted to know how to get opensim to properly
use what I will have.  I know of course I will need the windows 64bit
server addition to access two cps with muticore and high amounts of
memory. But will opensim work with it?  I haven't a clue.

InuYasha

On 6/29/2012 7:07 PM, Justin Clark-Casey wrote:

> I'm rather surprised - on 64 bit you should be able to access more
> than 4GB on mono and .net (assuming you are running OpenSim.exe and
> not OpenSim.32BitLaunch.exe).
>
> On unix, you will also want to check that ulimit isn't limiting the
> amount of memory or other resources that a process can take up.
>
> On 29/06/12 14:23, Scott Overmyer wrote:
>> Hi James,
>>
>> Thanks for your reply.
>>
>> So I'm finding out.  I've made the OpenSIM grid run again by setting
>> a switch that fixes the amount of memory that
>> scripts are taking up, but there should be some permanent solution
>> out there somewhere.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> scotto...
>>
>> On Fri, Jun 29, 2012 at 6:30 PM, James Stallings II
>>
>>     Greetings Scott,
>>
>>     mono/.net binaries cannot utilize in excess of 2GB of memory
>> without certain special one-off operations being
>>     conducted upon them, and then they can only access up 4GB. Having
>> a box with 48 GB of Ram is not proof against
>>     processes running out of memory.
>>
>>     Cheers
>>     James
>>

>>     On Thu, Jun 28, 2012 at 10:52 PM, Scott Overmyer
>>
>>         I have installed (apparently) too many scripts, and I'm
>> getting an "out of memory" error (with 48 Gbytes of
>>         memory, this is unlikely).  None of my accounts can currently
>> log in.  Any help would be appreciated.  The
>>         precise message for just about everything now is Exception of
>> type 'System.OutOfMemoryException' was thrown.
>>
>>         Is there a memory parameter that restricts memory usage
>> within OpenSIM?
>>
>>         Cheers,
>>
>>         scotto…
>>
>>         --
>>
>>         Scott Overmyer, PhD
>>
>>         Professor, Computational Sciences
>>
>>         Nazarbayev University
>>
>>         53 Kabanbay batyr Ave.,
>>
>>         Astana, 010000
>>
>>         Kazakhstan
>>
>>         Tel: +7 (7212) 70-65-68 <tel:%2B7%20%287212%29%2070-65-68>
>>
>>         Email: [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>

>>     --

Opensim User: Standalone Grid on Version 0.7.3.1 with 56 Regions
on Windows 7, 64-bit. Phenom 9500 2.2 ghz Quad Core, Terabyte Hard
Drive, 8gig DDR2 RAM.  Used XAMPP to load PHP Version 5.3.0, Apache
and MySQL 5.1.41-community edition.  Groups, Profiles, Voice and
Offline Mesages all working. (Not yet Public, 6 users allowed Now).

Re: Exception

InuYasha Meiji
Well that was part of my question. So do I need to be in grid mode to
run instances, or can it be done as a standalone as well?

Thanks for the info, it will come in useful either way you answer this.

InuYasha.

On 6/29/2012 9:43 PM, Gwyneth Llewelyn wrote:

> [...]
>     ________________________________________________________________
>     Opensim User: Standalone Grid on Version 0.7.3.1 with 56 Regions
>     on Windows 7, 64-bit. Phenom 9500 2.2 ghz Quad Core, Terabyte Hard
>     Drive, 8gig DDR2 RAM. Used XAMPP to load PHP Version 5.3.0, Apache
>     and MySQL 5.1.41-community edition. Groups, Profiles, Voice and
>     Offline Mesages all working. (Not yet Public, 6 users allowed Now).

> "I'm not building a game. I'm building a new country."
> -- Philip "Linden" Rosedale, interview to Wired, 2004-05-08

Opensim User: Standalone Grid on Version 0.7.3.1 with 56 Regions
on Windows 7, 64-bit. Phenom 9500 2.2 ghz Quad Core, Terabyte Hard
Drive, 8gig DDR2 RAM.  Used XAMPP to load PHP Version 5.3.0, Apache
and MySQL 5.1.41-community edition.  Groups, Profiles, Voice and
Offline Mesages all working. (Not yet Public, 6 users allowed Now).

Aw good question, Inu... I have no experience in running multiple sims on a standalone configuration. In my limited knowledge, "standalone" meant "single sim on my computer".

I think that there is no way to run multiple instances in standalone mode, since to the best of my knowledge, all communication between instances happens through grid services, but I might be wrong.

        - Gwyn

On 2012/06/30, at 08:22, InuYasha Meiji wrote:

> [...]
>>    on Windows 7, 64-bit. Phenom 9500 2.2 ghz Quad Core, Terabyte Hard
>>    Drive, 8gig DDR2 RAM. Used XAMPP to load PHP Version 5.3.0, Apache
>>    and MySQL 5.1.41-community edition. Groups, Profiles, Voice and
>>    Offline Mesages all working. (Not yet Public, 6 users allowed Now).
>>

>> --
>> "I'm not building a game. I'm building a new country."
>> -- Philip "Linden" Rosedale, interview to Wired, 2004-05-08

> Opensim User: Standalone Grid on Version 0.7.3.1 with 56 Regions
> on Windows 7, 64-bit. Phenom 9500 2.2 ghz Quad Core, Terabyte Hard
> Drive, 8gig DDR2 RAM.  Used XAMPP to load PHP Version 5.3.0, Apache
> and MySQL 5.1.41-community edition.  Groups, Profiles, Voice and
> Offline Mesages all working. (Not yet Public, 6 users allowed Now).
"I'm not building a game. I'm building a new country."
  -- Philip "Linden" Rosedale, interview to Wired, 2004-05-08

Gudule Lapointe
Yes: the "Standalone" name speaks by itself. It's about one single instance. The only way to run multiple instances (in the same or multiple computers, using or not the same software folder) is the grid mode.

BTW, thanks Gwyneth for publishing your experience on this setup. I've been working on this approach too, and I think it's good to share that methodology.

--
Speculoos, the belgian cookie-flavored metaverse

On 29 June 2012 22:19, InuYasha Meiji <[hidden email] <[hidden email]>> wrote:

[...]

      [hidden email] <[hidden email]>
      <[hidden email] <[hidden email]>>
      (513) 556-3018 <tel:%28513%29%20556-3018>

      http://ucsim.uc.edu

      On Thu, Jun 28, 2012 at 11:52 PM, Scott Overmyer
      <[hidden email] <[hidden email]>

On 30 June 2012 13:13, Gudule Lapointe <[hidden email]> wrote:
Yes: the "Standalone" name speaks by itself. It's about one single instance. The only way to run multiple instances (in the same or multiple computers, using or not the same software folder) is the grid mode.

It makes sense :-)

BTW, thanks Gwyneth for publishing your experience on this setup. I've been working on this approach too, and I think it's good to share that methodology.

Oh, there is nothing to thank me about; I tend to write notes for myself when doing complex configurations (just like Fleep Tuque does on her fantastic Metaverse wiki - http://fleep.wikispaces.com/) and I thought that this time it might be useful for somebody else trying to tackle the same problems... these kinds of things ought to be on the OpenSimulator wiki anyway, but I'm very, very renitent to contribute to public wikis these days — there has not been a single one where either all my work has been deleted or my account suspended at some point :(

   - Gwyn

"I'm not building a game. I'm building a new country."
  -- Philip "Linden" Rosedale, interview to Wired, 2004-05-08

Re: Exception

InuYasha Meiji
Yeah it does, and Gwyn, I just read over your page. Very informative. I
will give it a try soon. Right now it is Hot over 80f and to humid to
sit at my desk today. I do have a question. Most of your page is geared
to Lynix and MAC, I can convert most of it and know what I am doing. I
do want to be more positive on this line:

cd <path to your opensim install>/bin
screen -S instanceXX-d -m -l mono OpenSim.exe -hypergrid=true -inidirectory="./grid/instanceXX"

What would that be for Windows?  I have no idea what the screen -s command dose...

The rest is very clear to me.  Hoping there is a monit for Windows 7 64bit also.

As it is everything I run including my apache and MySQL are 64 bit.  I hope so is Robust.

All my best to you and thanks again
InuYasha

On 6/30/2012 11:45 AM, Gwyneth Llewelyn wrote:

> On 30 June 2012 13:13, Gudule Lapointe <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>     Yes: the "Standalone" name speaks by itself. It's about one single
>     instance. The only way to run multiple instances (in the same or
>     multiple computers, using or not the same software folder) is the
>     grid mode.
>

> It makes sense :-)
>
>     BTW, thanks Gwyneth for publishing your experience on this setup.
>     I've been working on this approach too, and I think it's good to
>     share that methodology.
>

> Oh, there is nothing to thank me about; I tend to write notes for
> myself when doing complex configurations (just like Fleep Tuque does
> on her fantastic Metaverse wiki - http://fleep.wikispaces.com/) and I
> thought that this time it might be useful for somebody else trying to
> tackle the same problems... these kinds of things ought to be on the
> OpenSimulator wiki anyway, but I'm very, very renitent to contribute
> to public wikis these days — there has not been a single one where
> either all my work has been deleted or my account suspended at some
> point :(
>
> - Gwyn

Opensim User: Standalone Grid on Version 0.7.3.1 with 56 Regions
on Windows 7, 64-bit. Phenom 9500 2.2 ghz Quad Core, Terabyte Hard
Drive, 8gig DDR2 RAM.  Used XAMPP to load PHP Version 5.3.0, Apache
and MySQL 5.1.41-community edition.  Groups, Profiles, Voice and
Offline Mesages all working. (Not yet Public, 6 users allowed Now).

Re: Exception

Gwyneth Llewelyn
I'm afraid I really have no clue; I haven't used Windows in over a dozen years :)

You might be better off following SignpostMarv's instructions for Windows Server 2008: http://signpostmarv.name/2011/02/10/deploying-opensim-on-windows-server-2008/

Also check Fleep Tuque's notes: http://fleep.wikispaces.com/ — she's running Windows, too.

"screen" is a quiet, nice little Unix application that allows a virtual console to remain attached to a running application in the background. I'm pretty sure it's not available under Windows except if you use CygWin, and would probably not be much useful anyway (you can keep all the OpenSim instances simply running, each one on its cmd.exe shell, all open). On the other hand, and this is just an opinion, going through the pains of installing CygWin on top of a Windows server is a bit overkill these days.

So you can just launch your instances with

        mono OpenSim.exe -hypergrid=true -inidirectory="./grid/instanceXX"

or even leave -hypergrid=true if you don't want to provide HyperGird teleporting functionality to visiting users.

It looks like "monit" is really a Unix-only application (http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/monit-general/2006-06/msg00048.html) but which can apparently also run under CygWin. I've tried to look for a Windows replacement to "monit" but couldn't find anything which is as lightweight as "monit" and provides similar functionality, but I'm sure there are other tools allowing you to check for running processes in Windows 7 somehow (there are tons of them for Unix; monit is just very simple and convenient, and easy to configure) and restart them when they reach certain thresholds.

If you have OpenSim.exe running as a 64-bit process under Windows 7, I'm sure Robust will do so, too :)

Good luck,

        - Gwyn

--
"I'm not building a game. I'm building a new country."
  -- Philip "Linden" Rosedale, interview to Wired, 2004-05-08

"I'm not building a game. I'm building a new country."
  -- Philip "Linden" Rosedale, interview to Wired, 2004-05-08

Re: Exception

InuYasha Meiji
Wow, sorry so long in replying.  It took a while to read all this info,
then a long few days of personal doctor's visits.  I am better now, but
WOW!  This is going to be a huge undertaking.  I am a little worried
about doing all this.  Right now it runs at least.  I can log onto my
grid, a few friends can also, one all the way from Australia.  I have
everything except search working.  I didn't bother going to all the
trouble only because hardly any new viewers seem to suport the old way
search used to work, and none so far lets you change the viewer from
defaulting to SL's search web sight.  I might have to try to work out
something with PHP and my own search web page. But for now, to conserve
memory and run smoother I want to figure this out.

MY problem is, I don't want to loose any of my current data, builds,
clothing ect.  I don't wish to be on hypergrid.  I wanted a way to run
my 56 regions, cut up as 8 regions by 7 north to south.  I guess that
could be 14 sets of 4 regions?

Reading the
http://signpostmarv.name/2011/02/10/deploying-opensim-on-windows-server-2008/
information I am guessiong the clusters she speaks of is sort of like
nameing each set of four??  So that ever 4 regions get their own
directories??  She mentioned setting all these things to blank or
comment out, and I say whoa, I have it all working, that will kill all
my hard work getting all those to work properly.

I also already have many of the things she mentions installed and why it
confuses me a bit.  Does Robust run opensim for you? Because if I want
multiple instances won't I need more opened ports.  I already have them
opens for all my regions.  Those that only means I need to open the
ports I wasn't using before like 8002,8003?  The rest I had to get my
stand alone going.

You can see why since I have my standalone working reading her blog,
starting me at scratch would get confusing.

Hate to be a past, I hope you understand why.
Thanks for your time and effort.
InuYasha.