Export Permissions...

BoneZ
Hello,

I'm wondering if someone can give me an idea on how to get the prim
"Export" function to work?
I want to be able to check the export box to allow a prim to be exported
from my grid, but I cannot seem to find the correct combination of
settings and viewers to make this work.

I think based on what I've read.. only certain viewers support it?

Which viewer is known to work with the current release of opensim?
How to I enable it?
Is it to be done in the Robust settings?  Or in the region settings?

Thank you.

Re: Export Permissions...

Shaun T. Erickson
Regardless of whether any viewers support having the check box, the
server doesn't support it, as it's not fully implemented. Someone
started it and then never finished it.

-ste

On 1/10/15 12:57 PM, BoneZ wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm wondering if someone can give me an idea on how to get the prim
> "Export" function to work?
> I want to be able to check the export box to allow a prim to be
> exported from my grid, but I cannot seem to find the correct
> combination of settings and viewers to make this work.
>
> I think based on what I've read.. only certain viewers support it?
>
> Which viewer is known to work with the current release of opensim?
> How to I enable it?
> Is it to be done in the Robust settings?  Or in the region settings?

RE: Export Permissions...

Randy Pierce

So from what I understand you to say here Shaun is that the [HGAssetService] in the Robust.HG.ini is not functional?

I should not have come in on the tail-end of the discussion, but @ BoneZ are you running grid or hyperGrid?

On 1/10/15 12:57 PM, BoneZ wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm wondering if someone can give me an idea on how to get the prim
> "Export" function to work?
> I want to be able to check the export box to allow a prim to be
> exported from my grid, but I cannot seem to find the correct
> combination of settings and viewers to make this work.
>
> I think based on what I've read.. only certain viewers support it?
>
> Which viewer is known to work with the current release of opensim?
> How to I enable it?
> Is it to be done in the Robust settings?  Or in the region settings?

http://opensim-users.2152040.n2.nabble.com/Export-Permissions-tp7582089p7582090.html

To start a new topic under opensim-users, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from opensim-users, click here.
NAML

Changing the world - one prim at a time! The Insight Concepts Grid http://gcse.dyndns.org:8002

Re: Export Permissions...

BoneZ
After looking back through the logs of git.. it appears this project was
started by Melanie?
Does anyone know of the current status of the project?
Has it been abandoned? or simply put off for another time?

My opinion is that core should not contain started, or half finished
projects/features.
I don't feel anything should be added to core that doesn't function.

I think Core should contain only working/working with bugs type of
features, this way one doesn't waste alot of time trying to get
something to work which appears to be implemented when it has not been
completed.
I've wasted many hours searching for how to implement this because my
findings seem to indicate it was a working feature of opensim.

I think a better place for unfinished, non working features should be on
a separate branch and only merged when it works or works with bugs and
documented as such.

Re: Export Permissions...

Melanie
Not quite true. Being that someone, I can say that with authority. :)

Server support exists for export permissions for all simple items
and all prims rezzed in world.

This means, you can set the export permission on things like
clothing in your inventory, but you can not set the export
permission for prims there. Prims have to be rezzed, the permission
set and then taken back.

Also, export permission on simple objects can not be changed in prim
inventory, only in user inventory.

Within these restrictions, it works. Only recent Singularity has the
code for this. In OpenSim, support needs to be announced to the
viewer by using sim features.

under [SimulatorFeatures], set ExportSupported=true

Sorry there is no real documentation on the feature yet but these
steps should make it work for you.

- Melanie

On 10/01/2015 19:12, Shaun T. Erickson wrote:

> Regardless of whether any viewers support having the check box, the
> server doesn't support it, as it's not fully implemented. Someone
> started it and then never finished it.
>
> -ste
>
> On 1/10/15 12:57 PM, BoneZ wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I'm wondering if someone can give me an idea on how to get the prim
>> "Export" function to work?
>> I want to be able to check the export box to allow a prim to be
>> exported from my grid, but I cannot seem to find the correct
>> combination of settings and viewers to make this work.
>>
>> I think based on what I've read.. only certain viewers support it?
>>
>> Which viewer is known to work with the current release of opensim?
>> How to I enable it?
>> Is it to be done in the Robust settings?  Or in the region settings?

Re: Export Permissions...

Shaun T. Erickson
Thanks for the clarification. That's still a lot of hoops to jump
through, though. Any idea on when might it be fully integrated and
useable just like any of the other permissions, and what effort is
needed for that? I know I saw someone mentioning, in the dev irc
channel, recently, that it would be nice to have this finished.

-ste

On 1/10/15 5:02 PM, Melanie wrote:

> Not quite true. Being that someone, I can say that with authority. :)
>
> Server support exists for export permissions for all simple items
> and all prims rezzed in world.
>
> This means, you can set the export permission on things like
> clothing in your inventory, but you can not set the export
> permission for prims there. Prims have to be rezzed, the permission
> set and then taken back.
>
> Also, export permission on simple objects can not be changed in prim
> inventory, only in user inventory.
>
> Within these restrictions, it works. Only recent Singularity has the
> code for this. In OpenSim, support needs to be announced to the
> viewer by using sim features.
>
> under [SimulatorFeatures], set ExportSupported=true
>
> Sorry there is no real documentation on the feature yet but these
> steps should make it work for you.
>
> - Melanie
>
> On 10/01/2015 19:12, Shaun T. Erickson wrote:
>> Regardless of whether any viewers support having the check box, the
>> server doesn't support it, as it's not fully implemented. Someone
>> started it and then never finished it.
>>
>> -ste
>>
>> On 1/10/15 12:57 PM, BoneZ wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I'm wondering if someone can give me an idea on how to get the prim
>>> "Export" function to work?
>>> I want to be able to check the export box to allow a prim to be
>>> exported from my grid, but I cannot seem to find the correct
>>> combination of settings and viewers to make this work.
>>>
>>> I think based on what I've read.. only certain viewers support it?
>>>
>>> Which viewer is known to work with the current release of opensim?
>>> How to I enable it?
>>> Is it to be done in the Robust settings?  Or in the region settings?

Re: Export Permissions...

Melanie
It requires both server and client side work. LiruCookies (on IRC)
is often quite willing to undertake such client work, he did the
existing parts of it. On the server end, I would do it when I get to
have my head over water for a bit (usually i'm just swamped) and
Diva may have an interest as well.

- Melanie

On 10/01/2015 23:49, Shaun T. Erickson wrote:

> Thanks for the clarification. That's still a lot of hoops to jump
> through, though. Any idea on when might it be fully integrated and
> useable just like any of the other permissions, and what effort is
> needed for that? I know I saw someone mentioning, in the dev irc
> channel, recently, that it would be nice to have this finished.
>
> -ste
>
> On 1/10/15 5:02 PM, Melanie wrote:
>> Not quite true. Being that someone, I can say that with authority. :)
>>
>> Server support exists for export permissions for all simple items
>> and all prims rezzed in world.
>>
>> This means, you can set the export permission on things like
>> clothing in your inventory, but you can not set the export
>> permission for prims there. Prims have to be rezzed, the permission
>> set and then taken back.
>>
>> Also, export permission on simple objects can not be changed in prim
>> inventory, only in user inventory.
>>
>> Within these restrictions, it works. Only recent Singularity has the
>> code for this. In OpenSim, support needs to be announced to the
>> viewer by using sim features.
>>
>> under [SimulatorFeatures], set ExportSupported=true
>>
>> Sorry there is no real documentation on the feature yet but these
>> steps should make it work for you.
>>
>> - Melanie
>>
>> On 10/01/2015 19:12, Shaun T. Erickson wrote:
>>> Regardless of whether any viewers support having the check box, the
>>> server doesn't support it, as it's not fully implemented. Someone
>>> started it and then never finished it.
>>>
>>> -ste

Re: Export Permissions...

Shaun T. Erickson
I checked the IRC logs - it was AliciaRaven who said she might work on
it when she wasn't so busy. Perhaps she or Diva or someone will, as
making only two commits to Core in the past 8+ months corroborates what
you said about being busy, which doesn't bode well for you getting to
complete this feature, yourself, anytime soon.

-ste

  On 1/10/15 8:07 PM, Melanie wrote:

> It requires both server and client side work. LiruCookies (on IRC)
> is often quite willing to undertake such client work, he did the
> existing parts of it. On the server end, I would do it when I get to
> have my head over water for a bit (usually i'm just swamped) and
> Diva may have an interest as well.
>
> - Melanie
>
> On 10/01/2015 23:49, Shaun T. Erickson wrote:
>> Thanks for the clarification. That's still a lot of hoops to jump
>> through, though. Any idea on when might it be fully integrated and
>> useable just like any of the other permissions, and what effort is
>> needed for that? I know I saw someone mentioning, in the dev irc
>> channel, recently, that it would be nice to have this finished.
>>
>> -ste
>>
>> On 1/10/15 5:02 PM, Melanie wrote:
>>> Not quite true. Being that someone, I can say that with authority. :)
>>>
>>> Server support exists for export permissions for all simple items
>>> and all prims rezzed in world.
>>>
>>> This means, you can set the export permission on things like
>>> clothing in your inventory, but you can not set the export
>>> permission for prims there. Prims have to be rezzed, the permission
>>> set and then taken back.
>>>
>>> Also, export permission on simple objects can not be changed in prim
>>> inventory, only in user inventory.
>>>
>>> Within these restrictions, it works. Only recent Singularity has the
>>> code for this. In OpenSim, support needs to be announced to the
>>> viewer by using sim features.
>>>
>>> under [SimulatorFeatures], set ExportSupported=true
>>>
>>> Sorry there is no real documentation on the feature yet but these
>>> steps should make it work for you.
>>>
>>> - Melanie

Re: Export Permissions...

Butch Arnold
Hello Melanie,

Thank you for the info on this feature.
Based on what I had read and heard from others, I incorrectly reported
in an interview today that this feature was not fully implemented and
did not work as expected.
My apologies for that errant report - I have since contacted the person
(Maria at Hypergrid Business) and pasted them what you have put to the
mailing list.

I have tried to test this feature based on the information you've
provided and have not been able to make this work as you've indicated.
I am using opensim code based on r/25628 -
bda8f2a2c1d702adc9e61869195a4dbcd3c6751f dated 12/30/2014 and the
Singularity viewer version 1.8.6 (6313) Jan  7 2015 06:04:40
(Singularity Alpha).

Using the settings you have provided I have added the following to my
opensim.ini file:
[SimulatorFeatures]
     ExportSupported=true

And I am unable to make this work.
Steps...
- I created a simple box and renamed it
- I took this box back to inventory
- Out of curiosity, I looked to see what was shown when trying to set
export perms from inventory (I know you said it wouldn't work, but I was
curious anyway)
- While box was still in inventory it showed the export box as "Not
available" or greyed out as expected since you said it wouldn't work.
- I pulled the box from my inventory and rezzed it on the ground.
- I went into edit mode and it was still showing the export box as
unavailable (see attached screenshot).

Next Test...
  - I went back into inventory and found a shirt I had made
previously... right clicked... chose properties
  - I can now see the export box as empty, but able to be checked.. I've
checked the box and it has stayed checked.
  - I have not yet tried to see if it would actually allow export as I
was simply wanting to test the export checkbox function.

Maybe it is now broken in core?
Maybe it is not correctly implemented in my viewer?

I think this would be a very useful feature to be completed for opensim
and think it could help make the content creators of our community feel
more comfortable about hyper grid mode.
If the content creator can choose "NOT" to allow export and can expect
this choice to be honored by the simulator it could go a long way at
improving the sense of security our community has with OpenSim at the
moment.
One of the hardest things I've personally had to deal with as a grid
operator/manager is the users not feeling confident their objects cannot
be exported if they choose not to allow it.
We have many content creators on 3rd Rock Grid which do not want to
allow their creations to be taken out of our grid and they were very
much against our grid converting to hyper grid mode because of their fears.
If we could provide them with this feature it would take away these fears.

Thanks,
~Butch Arnold

On 1/10/2015 5:02 PM, Melanie wrote:

> Not quite true. Being that someone, I can say that with authority. :)
>
> Server support exists for export permissions for all simple items
> and all prims rezzed in world.
>
> This means, you can set the export permission on things like
> clothing in your inventory, but you can not set the export
> permission for prims there. Prims have to be rezzed, the permission
> set and then taken back.
>
> Also, export permission on simple objects can not be changed in prim
> inventory, only in user inventory.
>
> Within these restrictions, it works. Only recent Singularity has the
> code for this. In OpenSim, support needs to be announced to the
> viewer by using sim features.
>
> under [SimulatorFeatures], set ExportSupported=true
>
> Sorry there is no real documentation on the feature yet but these
> steps should make it work for you.
>
> - Melanie
>
> On 10/01/2015 19:12, Shaun T. Erickson wrote:
>> Regardless of whether any viewers support having the check box, the
>> server doesn't support it, as it's not fully implemented. Someone
>> started it and then never finished it.
>>
>> -ste
>>
>> On 1/10/15 12:57 PM, BoneZ wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I'm wondering if someone can give me an idea on how to get the prim
>>> "Export" function to work?
>>> I want to be able to check the export box to allow a prim to be
>>> exported from my grid, but I cannot seem to find the correct
>>> combination of settings and viewers to make this work.
>>>
>>> I think based on what I've read.. only certain viewers support it?
>>>
>>> Which viewer is known to work with the current release of opensim?
>>> How to I enable it?
>>> Is it to be done in the Robust settings?  Or in the region settings?

ExportTestFail.JPG (76K) Download Attachment

Re: Export Permissions...

Butch Arnold
Hello Melanie,

I believe the default "Plywood" texture used on a default box does not
have the correct permissions.

I was able to take a texture which I created and added an "Export"
permission to and apply it to this box on all sides.. once I did this, I
was able to then set the "Export" checkbox on the box.

It seems that I can set the export permission on the following from
inventory but I first must "Set" both copy/mod perms:
  - Body parts - eyes, hair, skin, shapes
  - calling cards
  - clothing
  - I was unable to check gestures as I only have one in my inventory
and it is not full perm so I cannot set to copy thus the export box
remains shaded.
  - Landmarks appear to be "Export" enabled by default.
  - Notecards
  - Objects as long as they have "Export" enabled textures (Note:
Opensim default textures appear not to have export permissions on by
default and these cannot be changed using the viewer)
  - Textures
  - Photos
  - Scripts
  - I was unable to check sounds as I have only 1 in my inventory and it
is not full perm, hence the export box stays shaded
  - Textures

I used blender and created a basic mesh with no texture and uploaded but
I was not able to set the export box as it remained shaded.

textures then the export box becomes enabled and you can check it or not.
  - I was unable to test sounds or gestures
  - It appears we cannot set the export perm on a basic .dae model
without texture
  - It appears that "ALL" default OpenSim items cannot be set to allow
export and if anything is using any of the default textures it cannot be
set to export.

  - I have not yet tested if these "Export" permissions actually work,
but I was able to use the "Export" check box in each of these cases
indicated above.

Thanks,
Butch

On 1/10/2015 11:06 PM, Butch Arnold wrote:

> [...]
> opensim and think it could help make the content creators of our
> community feel more comfortable about hyper grid mode.
> If the content creator can choose "NOT" to allow export and can expect
> this choice to be honored by the simulator it could go a long way at
> improving the sense of security our community has with OpenSim at the
> moment.
> One of the hardest things I've personally had to deal with as a grid
> operator/manager is the users not feeling confident their objects
> cannot be exported if they choose not to allow it.
> We have many content creators on 3rd Rock Grid which do not want to
> allow their creations to be taken out of our grid and they were very
> much against our grid converting to hyper grid mode because of their
> fears.
> If we could provide them with this feature it would take away these

Re: Export Permissions...

>From: Melanie <[hidden email]>
>In OpenSim, support needs to be announced to the
>viewer by using sim features.
>under [SimulatorFeatures], set ExportSupported=true

To stop export permission being applied which way do we set this?  I
have not added this [SimulatorFeature] to Openvue and AILand grids on
the assumption that no restrictions on export would be applied if I
did not mention this feature.  But am now wondering if I explicitly
must say false to this feature to ensure its not applied? I.e.,

ExportSupported=false

Export permissions partially implemented has been a constant and
serious issue since it was introduced I am afraid and there are
Mantis entries from people having issues.  maybe post specific issues
or suggestions as to how to fix this there?

Even items I create myself with my own textures and scripts I find
have some elements where the export box is UNTICKED and greyed out. I
often cannot simply move my own items between avatars or between my
grids and not find that some embedded elements are incorrectly set.

If the defaults are all changed so by DEFAULT export is not enforced
and and the export tick is on for everything created, including
internally added contents, embedded scripts, textures and assets,
etc.  This would be more in the spirit of open source community
developed software, but still allow for commercial uses and content
protection where that was explicitly intended.

Then any grid wanting to impose restrictions and provide that feature
could turn it on and any content creator/vendor could untick the
export box usign a supported views if that was their intention.

Re: Export Permissions...

BoneZ

Thank you for the information.
I will try this.