External Access to standalone

Tom Willans
I am trying to gain external access to my OS standalone server "Diva".  On the internal network all is fine even using my external url (via dynamic dns). The  External login gets as far as [SCENE]: Region Central authenticated and authorized incoming root agent XXXXX (circuit code 230241706) (using the rest console).  Firestorm then fails giving the message "Waiting for region handshake" after a number of attempts.

The IP address is redirected using dynamic dns, the host machine has a reserved IP address.  Port forwarding for both TCP and UDP are set to 9000..9004 to this machine is set up. I have the same problem with an without the firewall on (but forwarding set).

I am able to access the diva Wifi, webpage and use the rest console for this machine. ssh works fine.

Any ideas?

Thanks

p.s. apologies for having sent request on another posting

Re: External Access to standalone

Fleep Tuque
Hi Tom,

This is a fairly common question that can have a number of different root causes.

It might be helpful to go over the details of exactly what happens when you try to log in.  Based on my understanding and previous posts from Justin, Diva and others, this is my understanding of how it works:  When you start up the client and enter your name/password, it sends those details to the OpenSim login service. If your password is correct, it tells the region simulator that you're coming.  The login service then sends back to your client the IP address and port to use to enter that region based on the information in the regions.ini configuration file.  Your client then connects to the region using those details.

If you are stuck at "Connecting to Region.." or "Waiting for region handshake..." then your client successfully connected to the Opensim login service, but the information it is using to try to connect to the region (IP address and port number) is not allowing the connection.  This can be any number of issues related to your networking setup.

1)  Check to make sure you have the correct ports open on your router and firewall by reviewing the Opensim Network Settings page and Firewall settings page.  You can verify this by using 3rd party port checker software, I've used this successfully:  http://portforward.com/help/portcheck.htm

2)  If you are on a home network, make sure your router supports NAT Loopback, per the instructions on the Opensim wiki:  http://opensimulator.org/wiki/NAT_Loopback_Routers

3)  If you do not have a router that supports NAT Loopback, or are on a corporate or campus network with 1-to-1 NATing, you will need to have an external static IP address assigned to your server for users outside your network to connect.  See this thread for more information:  http://opensim-users.2152040.n2.nabble.com/NAT-amp-Corporate-Firewall-td6223654.html

I run FleepGrid from home and since my router didn't support NAT Loopback, I got a static IP address from my ISP and that resolved all my issues with people not being able to connect from outside my home network.

Hope this info is helpful.  Good luck and let us know how it goes!

- Chris/Fleep

Chris M. Collins (SL/OS: Fleep Tuque)
Center for Simulations & Virtual Environments Research (UCSIM)
UCIT Instructional & Research Computing
University of Cincinnati
406A Zimmer Hall
315 College Drive
PO BOX 210088
Cincinnati, OH 45221-0088
(513) 556-3018

On Wed, Apr 17, 2013 at 12:44 AM, Tom <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Hi Fleep, thank you for your advice. There does seem to be an issue with my router. I cannot get a static IP address from my ISP hence I used the dynamic IP. I will let you know how I get on. Thanks. Tom

Tom Willans  BSc(Hons)  MBCS  CITP
PhD Student
Serious Games Institute, Coventry University
United Kingdom

Managing Director Bessacarr Publications Ltd
Senior Research Representative:Engineering and Computing
+44 (0)121 288 0281
email: [hidden email]
skype: tom.willans
Second Life and OSGrid: Tom Tiros

Sent from my mobile

On 17 Apr 2013, at 12:59, Fleep Tuque <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Gary Beck
Tom,
    To understand your issue it would help to know, at least generically, what you have specified in your region parameters.  Sometimes this problem occurs when region parameters produce network addresses that are usable for locally connected viewers and not usable by remote viewers.
- Gary Beck

Re: External Access to standalone

InuYasha Meiji
Just tossing in my two cents.  I personally use DynDNS and the Dyn
Updater to turn my dynamic IP into a more stable named ip.  As long as
you don't go offline for an entire month it is free.  If you pay a fee
it won't expire monthly.  It works for me, but I have a D-Link DGL-4500
GamerLounge Xtreme N Gaming Router which includes loopback and 1
gigabyte LAN.

With this setup my wife on the same network can log on, I can log on and
any of my ten test users can as well including my friend from Australia,
who has no problem getting on from half way around the world.

I had to make a few changes to get it to work.  On the home network I
had to preassign each computer its own local IP to make my local IPs
static.  I then have my computer running my grid on a local of
192.168.0.198.  Then in each ini file I changed the 127.0.0.1 to that ip
of 192.168.0.198.  I will continue to region ips if you say you're
interested...

Trying to be helpfull,

InuYasha.

On 4/17/2013 11:27 AM, Tom Bess wrote:

> [...]
>>     "Diva".  On the internal network all is fine even using my
>>     external url (via dynamic dns). The  External login gets as far
>>     as [SCENE]: Region Central authenticated and authorized incoming
>>     root agent XXXXX (circuit code 230241706) (using the rest
>>     console).  Firestorm then fails giving the message "Waiting for
>>     region handshake" after a number of attempts.
>>
>>     The IP address is redirected using dynamic dns, the host machine
>>     has a reserved IP address.  Port forwarding for both TCP and UDP
>>     are set to 9000..9004 to this machine is set up. I have the same
>>     problem with an without the firewall on (but forwarding set).
>>
>>     I am able to access the diva Wifi, webpage and use the rest
>>     console for this machine. ssh works fine.
>>
>>     Any ideas?
>>
>>     Thanks
>>
>>     p.s. apologies for having sent request on another posting

Opensim User: In Gridmode  on Version 0.7.4. Nine Instances with 56 Regions. on Windows 7, 64-bit. Phenom 9500 2.2 GHz Quad Core, Terabyte Hard Drive, 8gig DDR2 RAM.  Used XAMPP to load PHP Version 5.3.0, Apache
and MySQL 5.1.41-community edition.  Groups, Profiles, Vivox Voice and
Offline Messages all working. (Not yet Public, 10 user accounts so far).

Re: External Access to standalone

Storm Singer
I used Hamachi successfully to have my friend connect to my grid when I was in college dorms. I think I used this version, but if it starts bugging you to pay them, uninstall it and try an older version. Or subscribe. But I'd try all the free ones first. http://hamachi.en.softonic.com/ Most vpns will do the same thing.

When this happened to me, I had to go through ALL TEH FILES with a fine tooth comb (or Notepad++) to make sure I changed all the IPs to the correct vpn ip. That was annoying. This was my issue though - I had updated the main file's IP, but the regions themselves thought they were on a different server.
Since then the workflow has removed specific IPs in the regionconfig file, but maybe there's something similar.

~~~
Go around! Go around!
Go around the Windmill!
Sing us a song, of storms.

On Wed, Apr 17, 2013 at 12:44 AM, Tom <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:

[...]

Thank you to everyone who helped all is now working - simple when it works!  I have a standalone diva distribution (0.75 opensim) with 5 regions working (ports 9000-9004)  and 3 simultaneous avatars working with insignificant lag, even with my ancient Pentium 4 Processors.  Curiously http://www.canyouseeme.org/  reports ports 9001-9004 as connection refused which proved to be a red herring.

The primary issues related to the dynamic address not updating as expected and configuring the BT Home Hub 3 router (there is a lot of confusion on the web regarding versions A or B and firmware updates e.g. NAT loop back or not.) .

-    A dynamic dns service linked a url to my address to my routers external address (dynamic)
-    The ExternalHostName was set to this external URL in both the MyWorld.ini and Region.ini files e.g. Region Config.ini
-    Port forwarding was set up for TCP and UDP on ports 9000-9004.

BT Home Hub 3 despite many BT community forum blogs comments must now be supporting NAT loop back (the router recognises that the external url refers to its own address). I am now able to access the server over the internal LAN as well. I need to add the BT Home Hub 3 to the open simulator site as working.

Next step is making is to make this robust/backups etc. Oh and recruit participants :)

Thanks again.

Tom Willans  BSc(Hons)  MBCS  CITP
PhD Student
Serious Games Institute, Coventry University
United Kingdom

Managing Director Bessacarr Publications Ltd
Senior Research Representative:Engineering and Computing
+44 (0)121 288 0281
skype: tom.willans
Second Life and OSGrid: Tom Tiros

Sent from my iPad

[...]

GarminKawaguichi
CanYouSeeMe.org waits for an answer like a page hosted at ip:port; that is available only for the server port (when the server runs :))
The region ports do not respond as web pages.
You can see that with your browser, http://IP:9000 returns something as "404-Page not found - Ooops! The page you requested has been obsconded with by knomes. Find hippos quick!...."

http://IP:9001 generates a timeout.

MML

Le 21/04/2013 21:36, Tom Willans a écrit :
 Curiously http://www.canyouseeme.org/  reports ports 9001-9004 as connection refused which proved to be a red herring.

Re: External Access to standalone

Gary Beck
Tom,
    Regarding the connection refused on ports 9001-9004.  It's likely the remote port testing site only detects listening TCP ports.  I assume your login URL (TCP) points to port 9000.  That would account for success on port 9000.  The other ports are open but the server is only listening on UDP there so TCP communication would be 'refused.'
- Gary Beck