File Open dialog box

scotto

Hi all,

I want to show the end user a File Open dialog box so that an avatar controlled by a user can pass a file to my bot software.  Does anyone know how to do this either via LSL or C#?  Does this capability exist?

Best regards,

scotto…

--

Scott Overmyer, PhD

Professor, Computer Science

Nazarbayev University

53 Kabanbay batyr Ave.,

Astana, 010000

Kazakhstan

Tel: +7 (7212) 70-65-68

Email: [hidden email]

Re: File Open dialog box

Dahlia Trimble
I'm not really a web person and I don't know if this would actually work, but LSL scripts have an ability to act as a simple http server [1], and I know that web pages can initiate a file dialog as I've seen them on sites which have a file upload capability. Whether the LSL server is capable enough to accomplish something like this. especially with the built-in browser in most viewers is beyond my understanding and is left as an exercise for the curious ;)

Otherwise I suspect you would need to modify a viewer with special code that could be triggered by a message sent from an script and display the dialog. Or, if the bot program were running on the same computer as the viewer, you could probably have it display the dialog and somehow modify the focus rules so it would have top-level focus.

I'd probably consider a scripted capability to open a file dialog to be somewhat of a security hole and I suspect that is one reason why such a capability is not normally available.

On Sun, Jul 28, 2013 at 10:09 PM, Scott Overmyer <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi all,

I want to show the end user a File Open dialog box so that an avatar controlled by a user can pass a file to my bot software.  Does anyone know how to do this either via LSL or C#?  Does this capability exist?

Best regards,

scotto…

--

Scott Overmyer, PhD

Professor, Computer Science

Nazarbayev University

53 Kabanbay batyr Ave.,

Astana, 010000

Kazakhstan

Tel: <a href="tel:%2B7%20%287212%29%2070-65-68" value="+77212706568" target="_blank">+7 (7212) 70-65-68

Email: [hidden email]

Re: File Open dialog box

R.Gunther
The ony option i can think about is webbased.
user click the bot, bot open webpage where user can upload or do soemthing.
You cannot open a file dialog from the server at the client side.