Firestorm Viewer 4.7.7 overloads region capability to process RequestMapBlocks

Firestorm Viewer 4.7.7 overloads region capability to process RequestMapBlocks

aiaustin
Ubit... I saw the recent OpenSim commit related to map block handling
due to over demand by Firestorm on the map tile service with a block
for 300 seconds if that occurs.

I think this is the glitch in Firestorm 4.7.7 where at certain zoom
levels with the map tool open there was a constant never ending
stream of map tile requests.

http://jira.phoenixviewer.com/browse/FIRE-18295

It was a glitch that was patched and is in the forthcoming Firestorm
4.7.9 release which is expected in the next week or so.

Re: Firestorm Viewer 4.7.7 overloads region capability to process RequestMapBlocks

AJLDuarte
Sorry FS team response was that it is a good FS feature and that opensim is
broken
Funny that is was the same person.

See http://jira.phoenixviewer.com/browse/FIRE-19778

If they did fix it, then no problem the blocking should not happen,
otherwise FS map may silently fail.

Re: Firestorm Viewer 4.7.7 overloads region capability to process RequestMapBlocks

AJLDuarte
        Final Firestorm response on this issue:
http://jira.phoenixviewer.com/browse/FIRE-19778
"
Re: at some zoom levels FS does not stop sending MapBlockRequest

I really do not care anymore whether OpenSim works or not. As long as stuff
works in SL, everything is fine for me. Fix OpenSim if you want your 5 users
to be happy!
"

Regards

Re: Firestorm Viewer 4.7.7 overloads region capability to process RequestMapBlocks

drwhiet@spacefriends.de
Boom!

At 13:00 08/08/2016, From: "AJLDuarte" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>Final Firestorm response on this issue:
>http://jira.phoenixviewer.com/browse/FIRE-19778

>From: drWhiet <[hidden email]>
>Boom!

Now now  :-)  ...  it was hardy a final comment or a definitive
"Firestorm response". This was one frustrated comment by one (very
active and helpful actually) developer who thought you were mixing up
two issues... one (fixed in 4.7.9) bug in Firestorm 4.7.7 where a
constant and never ending stream of map block request were made (very
many per second potentially) when at a certain zoom level on the map
tool, and a change made to refresh the map blocks every 60 seconds to
make the map tool be "live".

Others on the Firestorm JIRA have clearly stated they themselves are
OpenSim users and definitely want to see OpenSim well supported by Firestorm.

Re: Firestorm Viewer 4.7.7 overloads region capability to process RequestMapBlocks

AJLDuarte
Oh but there was another talk going on with someone else outside that Jira.
A lot more pleasant and friendly talk, but pretty much same thing.
So like the other devs that tried talking with them before me, I no longer
care if FS works on not with opensim.
(And at SL, why use the dam thing with their c&p errors and not the original
thing?)

Our mantis, irc channels etc are there if they do want do discuss any
problem.
(yeah not going to happen we know...)

Looking to the irc channels as I type, this thing does seem pretty much dead
anyway...
Regards.

At 13:00 08/08/2016, From: "AJLDuarte" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>Final Firestorm response on this issue:
>http://jira.phoenixviewer.com/browse/FIRE-19778

>From: drWhiet <[hidden email]> Boom!

Now now  :-)  ...  it was hardy a final comment or a definitive
"Firestorm response". This was one frustrated comment by one (very
active and helpful actually) developer who thought you were mixing up
two issues... one (fixed in 4.7.9) bug in Firestorm 4.7.7 where a
constant and never ending stream of map block request were made (very
many per second potentially) when at a certain zoom level on the map
tool, and a change made to refresh the map blocks every 60 seconds to
make the map tool be "live".

Others on the Firestorm JIRA have clearly stated they themselves are
OpenSim users and definitely want to see OpenSim well supported by
Firestorm.

Re: Firestorm Viewer 4.7.7 overloads region capability to process RequestMapBlocks

Tom Frost
And this, sadly, is the best illustration of why opensim is doomed. If opensim declares 'we do not support firestorm', i'm not going to bother anymore.

Goodbye opensim, hello high fidelity?

If only opensim had some devs that actually cared about more than their direct economical interests, if only opensim had a strong sense of direction, there might be a future.

I tried to join development, but the hostile environment to new devs who are not part of the clique cured me of that.

As it stands, the opensim codebase is a steaming pile of unmaintainable crap with no hope of improvement.

On 8 August 2016 23:16:09 CEST, AJLDuarte <[hidden email]> wrote:
Oh but there was another talk going on with someone else outside that Jira.
A lot more pleasant and friendly talk, but pretty much same thing.
So like the other devs that tried talking with them before me, I no longer
care if FS works on not with opensim.
(And at SL, why use the dam thing with their c&p errors and not the original
thing?)

Our mantis, irc channels etc are there if they do want do discuss any
problem.
(yeah not going to happen we know...)

Looking to the irc channels as I type, this thing does seem pretty much dead
anyway...
Regards.

Re: Firestorm Viewer 4.7.7 overloads region capability to process RequestMapBlocks

Nick Zwart
oh, that is disturbing.

If Opensim is doomed (Tom) we have a big problem, because we use Opensim a lot in educational projects here in Europe. And to be honest, if we do not stay optimistic in this crazy world, what else can be done?

I know the dev spends a lot of personal time into this and I think Tom is not really helping and demotivates them.

If you really do not like Opensim, do not throw it in our faces, just go and do something else with your life. Here in Holland we call people that act like this a 'Hork'.

Best wishes,

Nick

From: drWhiet <[hidden email]> Boom!

Now now :-) ... it was hardy a final comment or a definitive
"Firestorm response". This was one frustrated comment by one (very
active and helpful actually) developer who thought you were mixing up
two issues... one (fixed in 4.7.9) bug in Firestorm 4.7.7 where a
constant and never ending stream of map block request were made (very
many per sec! ond potentially) when at a certain zoom level on the map
tool, and a change made to refresh the map blocks every 60 seconds to
make the map tool be "live".

Others on the Firestorm JIRA have clearly stated they themselves are
OpenSim users and definitely want to see OpenSim well supported by
Firestorm.

Rameshsharma Ramloll PhD, CEO CTO DeepSemaphore LLC, Affiliate Research Associate Professor, Idaho State University, Pocatello, ID 83209 Tel: 208-240-0040

Re: Firestorm Viewer 4.7.7 overloads region capability to process RequestMapBlocks

AJLDuarte

Hi Tom,

                You seem to have issues reading…

It  where Firestorm team members ( some on their jira some on other chats)  who told that there would be no more support to opensim.

To that I said:

Our mantis, irc channels etc are there if they do want do discuss any problem.”

That means any viewer related issue is welcome and will be looked at, if reported on the proper channel..

I can add that OpenSim users reporting problems only to Viewer Teams only made things worse, not better.

Some viewers may even had changed their code to work with  outdated versions of opensim or even running own modified code

That just makes even harder to do a proper fix.

I have no direct or indirect economical interests in opensim

Regards.

At 13:00 08/08/2016, From: "AJLDuarte" <[hidden email]> wrote:
Final Firestorm response on this issue:
http://jira.phoenixviewer.com/browse/FIRE-19778

Re: Firestorm Viewer 4.7.7 overloads region capability to process RequestMapBlocks

David Lloyd

My stepfather would say – God rest his soul – “Let’s all fight, I hate peace.”

Why don’t we all setup a virtual boxing ring and just duke it out there? :P

PS. To all the opensim developers on the list, I think you do a great job!