Firestorm on OpenSim and mesh physics

aiaustin
I noted this posting form the OSGrid twitter account by nebadon...
https://twitter.com/osgrid/status/275782829890232320/photo/1

I wonder if someone can explain what the story is with mesh objects
uploaded in Firestorm 4.3.1.31155OS now to OpenSim grids... is it
that there is mesh physics but its a previous physics setup and not
the new havok version.. or is physics completely missing from now on
if Firestorm is used to upload a mesh? Will the object be a phantom
if that is done?

Re: Firestorm on OpenSim and mesh physics

Marcus Llewellyn
Hiya. :)

I had the same concerns, as the way the wiki download page for
Firestorm-OpenSim phrases things, it makes it appear that mesh physics
won't work. They *do* work just fine, though. It's just that Havok isn't
used. Mesh uploads with physics has been tested both on OSgrid and
Avination with no issues.

The procedure for uploading a mesh with physics in an OpenSim
environment has never been the same as in SL... most of the options on
the Physics tab up the mesh upload floater are unused. One only needs to
choose a LOD (High for best results) at the top of the Physics settings.

Marcus

On 12/5/2012 4:14 AM, Ai Austin wrote:

> I noted this posting form the OSGrid twitter account by nebadon...
> https://twitter.com/osgrid/status/275782829890232320/photo/1
>

> I wonder if someone can explain what the story is with mesh objects
> uploaded in Firestorm 4.3.1.31155OS now to OpenSim grids... is it that
> there is mesh physics but its a previous physics setup and not the new
> havok version.. or is physics completely missing from now on if
> Firestorm is used to upload a mesh? Will the object be a phantom if
> that is done?

Re: Firestorm on OpenSim and mesh physics

Melanie

that is not entirely true. Avination supports physics meshes and
convex collision meshes.

Melanie

On 05/12/2012 20:10, Marcus Llewellyn wrote:

> Hiya. :)
>
> I had the same concerns, as the way the wiki download page for
> Firestorm-OpenSim phrases things, it makes it appear that mesh physics
> won't work. They *do* work just fine, though. It's just that Havok isn't
> used. Mesh uploads with physics has been tested both on OSgrid and
> Avination with no issues.
>
> The procedure for uploading a mesh with physics in an OpenSim
> environment has never been the same as in SL... most of the options on
> the Physics tab up the mesh upload floater are unused. One only needs to
> choose a LOD (High for best results) at the top of the Physics settings.
>
> Marcus
>
> On 12/5/2012 4:14 AM, Ai Austin wrote:
>> I noted this posting form the OSGrid twitter account by nebadon...
>> https://twitter.com/osgrid/status/275782829890232320/photo/1
>>

>> I wonder if someone can explain what the story is with mesh objects
>> uploaded in Firestorm 4.3.1.31155OS now to OpenSim grids... is it that
>> there is mesh physics but its a previous physics setup and not the new
>> havok version.. or is physics completely missing from now on if
>> Firestorm is used to upload a mesh? Will the object be a phantom if
>> that is done?

Re: Firestorm on OpenSim and mesh physics

Melanie
Rigged mesh cnoforms to the skeleton it's rigged to. Therefore it
won't act different from a basic avatar using that same set of VPs.

Melanie

On 05/12/2012 20:51, Robert Martin wrote:

> semi related question if i create a Rigged Wolf character and a set of
> animations would these works correctly even if the Wolf was an unusual size
> (either a Cub or a Dire)
>

> On Wed, Dec 5, 2012 at 2:10 PM, Marcus Llewellyn <[hidden email]
>> wrote:
>
>> Hiya. :)
>>
>> I had the same concerns, as the way the wiki download page for
>> Firestorm-OpenSim phrases things, it makes it appear that mesh physics
>> won't work. They *do* work just fine, though. It's just that Havok isn't
>> used. Mesh uploads with physics has been tested both on OSgrid and
>> Avination with no issues.
>>
>> The procedure for uploading a mesh with physics in an OpenSim environment
>> has never been the same as in SL... most of the options on the Physics tab
>> up the mesh upload floater are unused. One only needs to choose a LOD (High
>> for best results) at the top of the Physics settings.
>>
>> Marcus
>>

>> On 12/5/2012 4:14 AM, Ai Austin wrote:
>>
>>> I noted this posting form the OSGrid twitter account by nebadon...
>>> https://twitter.com/osgrid/**status/275782829890232320/**photo/1<https://twitter.com/osgrid/status/275782829890232320/photo/1>
>>>

>>> I wonder if someone can explain what the story is with mesh objects
>>> uploaded in Firestorm 4.3.1.31155OS now to OpenSim grids... is it that
>>> there is mesh physics but its a previous physics setup and not the new
>>> havok version.. or is physics completely missing from now on if Firestorm
>>> is used to upload a mesh? Will the object be a phantom if that is done?

Re: Firestorm on OpenSim and mesh physics

InuYasha Meiji
Oh I wish I knew how to do that.  I have a great model of a Asian Water
buffalo, I would love to convert to a mesh with a working skeleton.  I
would then use it as a NPC on my grid and have a roaming Waterbuffalo,
or cart pulling buffalo for my grid.  There is just so much I don't know
about converting from a 3dsmax high vector 3ds and or obj file to a
uploadable mesh, and no clue about making a skeleton for it.  I have
poser but never even used Blender.  Where should I start?

InuYasha

On 12/5/2012 3:28 PM, Melanie wrote:

> Rigged mesh cnoforms to the skeleton it's rigged to. Therefore it
> won't act different from a basic avatar using that same set of VPs.
>
> Melanie
>
> On 05/12/2012 20:51, Robert Martin wrote:
>> semi related question if i create a Rigged Wolf character and a set of
>> animations would these works correctly even if the Wolf was an unusual size
>> (either a Cub or a Dire)
>>

>> On Wed, Dec 5, 2012 at 2:10 PM, Marcus Llewellyn <[hidden email]
>>> wrote:
>>> Hiya. :)
>>>
>>> I had the same concerns, as the way the wiki download page for
>>> Firestorm-OpenSim phrases things, it makes it appear that mesh physics
>>> won't work. They *do* work just fine, though. It's just that Havok isn't
>>> used. Mesh uploads with physics has been tested both on OSgrid and
>>> Avination with no issues.
>>>
>>> The procedure for uploading a mesh with physics in an OpenSim environment
>>> has never been the same as in SL... most of the options on the Physics tab
>>> up the mesh upload floater are unused. One only needs to choose a LOD (High
>>> for best results) at the top of the Physics settings.
>>>
>>> Marcus

Opensim User: In Gridmode  on Version 0.7.4. Nine Instances with 56 Regions. on Windows 7, 64-bit. Phenom 9500 2.2 GHz Quad Core, Terabyte Hard Drive, 8gig DDR2 RAM.  Used XAMPP to load PHP Version 5.3.0, Apache
and MySQL 5.1.41-community edition.  Groups, Profiles, Vivox Voice and
Offline Messages all working. (Not yet Public, 6 users allowed Now).

Re: Firestorm on OpenSim and mesh physics

Marcus Llewellyn
Rigging with Blender is a bit on the advanced side. It really requires a
fairly solid foundation based on Blender's more fundamental uses and
controls. Weight painting a mesh is much easier if you already know how
to use Blender's texturing or sculpting tools, for example. That said, I
don't regret one minute investing the time to learn it... once you get
the hang of things it's a really awesome tool.

When getting started with Blender, I can't recommend Blender Cookie's
tutorials enough. They're anywhere from a few minutes to maybe ninety
minutes long, many of them absolutely free and high quality, and can
teach you everything from the basics to advanced topics and techniques
applicable to OpenSim. You'll want to go through their beginner
tutorials at a minimum before even trying to get into rigging. Try
starting at this URL: http://cgcookie.com/blender/get-started-with-blender/

When it comes to rigged meshes, you can go two ways. Both paths start at
Gaia Clary's Machinimatrix website. The simplest thing to do is to
purchase and use their Avastar product (US$22) which does a lot of
things for you, and supports things like LL's internal animation format.
I've never used this product, so I really don't know anything about it
in depth.

The other way has a steeper learning curve, because you have to do
everything yourself, and starts with a Blender project file called
avatar-workbench. This file contains the default LL skeletal rig, a
weighted avatar mesh, and a MakeHuman mesh weighted to the LL rig. This
is definitely the more challenging path, as you need to learn how to
setup and configure many things yourself. I find this more satisfying
myself, as I'm forced to learn exactly what's going on and generally why
things occasionally go awry, but most people just wanna get stuff done.
Avastar also has the only Blender exporter for LL's internal animation
format that I've ever heard of. It's shame there's no open sourced one
around yet.

You find both the Avastar product and the free avatar-workbench project
file at the following URL: http://blog.machinimatrix.org/

Marcus

On 12/5/2012 2:58 PM, InuYasha Meiji wrote:
> Oh I wish I knew how to do that.  I have a great model of a Asian
> Water buffalo, I would love to convert to a mesh with a working
> skeleton.  I would then use it as a NPC on my grid and have a roaming
> Waterbuffalo, or cart pulling buffalo for my grid.  There is just so
> much I don't know about converting from a 3dsmax high vector 3ds and
> or obj file to a uploadable mesh, and no clue about making a skeleton
> for it.  I have poser but never even used Blender.  Where should I start?
>
> InuYasha

Re: Firestorm on OpenSim and mesh physics

InuYasha Meiji
Wow, OMG, I have my own personal grid, with ten friends testing it,  as
users.   I have bnen working on, and building every thing on it mostly
myself.  It is starting to feel it will take the rest of my life to
gleam anything I will be proud to let others come enjoy.  I have used
3dsmax since back in version 2, with so much more to go, I don't know if
I can take that much time away from building, scripting, sound creating,
and so on to learn to do all this.  I guess I will have to use the old
way of making walking roaming animals on Opensim.  Trying to animate
sculpted extremities and get it to look right somehow.  It seems it
might take months away from getting any further on my dreams of a nice
Early 17th Century Ryukyu Kingdom grid.

Thanks very much for the information, it explained a lot.
InuYasha

At 23:01 05/12/2012, Marcus Llewellyn wrote:

>I had the same concerns, as the way the wiki download page for
>Firestorm-OpenSim phrases things, it makes it appear that mesh physics
>won't work. They *do* work just fine, though. It's just that Havok isn't
>used. Mesh uploads with physics has been tested both on OSgrid and
>Avination with no issues.
>
>The procedure for uploading a mesh with physics in an OpenSim
>environment has never been the same as in SL... most of the options on
>the Physics tab up the mesh upload floater are unused. One only needs to
>choose a LOD (High for best results) at the top of the Physics settings.

Thanks everyone... I think the problem then is a misleading Firestorm
for OpenSimulator pop up message when you open the mesh upload
tool.  I reported this at the Firestorm JIRA...  so people might want
to check the details there.. or add clarifications.. and perhaps vote it up.

http://jira.phoenixviewer.com/browse/FIRE-8479