Free objects (dmu1 and dmu2 .IAR files)

Americo Damasceno-3
We are beginning to put available many .IAR files having free objects . Look at:

The   files have objects copied from many places;   authorized to be copied. If you know any copyrighted problem about anyone, let us know.

Please let me know if all is working OK.

Re: Free objects (dmu1 and dmu2 .IAR files)

Robert Klein
Very cool. I think we either need to figure out a much better way to display this content on the wiki (at least move the links and info to its own page) or abandon the wiki for this use all together and try to figure out a better file sharing solution. I mean we really are talking about sharing files here and wiki technology was not designed to share files. If someone had 3000 various OAR, IAR, Textures, Animations, Sounds, Scripts, and XML files they would need some logical and simple way to offer that content. I really see this as being a huge part of the positive OpenSim experience.

-Robert

Americo Damasceno-3 wrote

http://opensimulator.org/wiki/Inventory_Archives

The   files have objects copied from many places;   authorized to be copied.
If you know any copyrighted problem about anyone, let us know.

Please let me know if all is working OK.

Re: Free objects (dmu1 and dmu2 .IAR files)

Frisby, Adam

I realise this is going to be painful for some folks; but please do not share content you are not /directly authorized/ to do on the opensim website. Directly authorized means either:

·         You created it.

·         It’s under a specifically open license (CC, GPL, BSD) – and you can confirm the person who put it under that license was the creator (or authorized copyright owner)

·         You know who created it explicitly, and obtained their authorization first.

Please do not share random freebies via this method – as I can tell you a number of them are simply pirated content that I do not want to have distributed in any official capacity.

Adam

We are beginning to put available many .IAR files having free objects . Look at:

The   files have objects copied from many places;   authorized to be copied. If you know any copyrighted problem about anyone, let us know.

Please let me know if all is working OK.

Re: Free objects (dmu1 and dmu2 .IAR files)

Jeroen van Veen
Maybe it's an idea to create seperate projects for oar/iar repositories, so
added content is reviewed first? Better to solve this problem now, than to have
license issues later.

Jeroen

Op donderdag 10 december 2009 06:51:55 schreef Frisby, Adam:

> I realise this is going to be painful for some folks; but please do not
>  share content you are not /directly authorized/ to do on the opensim
>  website. Directly authorized means either:
>

> *         You created it.
>
> *         It's under a specifically open license (CC, GPL, BSD) - and you
>  can confirm the person who put it under that license was the creator (or
>  authorized copyright owner)
>
> *         You know who created it explicitly, and obtained their
>  authorization first.
>
> Please do not share random freebies via this method - as I can tell you a
>  number of them are simply pirated content that I do not want to have
>  distributed in any official capacity.
>
> Adam
>
> From: [hidden email]
>  [mailto:[hidden email]] On Behalf Of Americo
>  Damasceno Sent: Wednesday, 9 December 2009 5:10 AM
> To: [hidden email]
> Subject: [Opensim-users] Free objects (dmu1 and dmu2 .IAR files)
>
> We are beginning to put available many .IAR files having free objects .
>  Look at:
>
> http://opensimulator.org/wiki/Inventory_Archives
>
> The   files have objects copied from many places;   authorized to be
>  copied. If you know any copyrighted problem about anyone, let us know.
>
> Please let me know if all is working OK.

Re: Free objects (dmu1 and dmu2 .IAR files)

Karen_Palen
I am not sure that separate repositories really solves this problem though.

At least a central repository can delete/not post any content that is known to be pirated.

As a retired IP attorney I too am very sensitive to the piracy issue, but it is not an easy one to solve and I highly doubt that OpenSim will be the place to even try to solve it!

Probably the best we can do is to follow the lead of the ethical sites which distribute content openly. The various Linux distro sites are a good example of this, they do quite a good job in policing pirated content.

In our context, the legitimate backup tools that are appearing (including iar) take some pains to preserve or at least check that the user is either the content originator or has the appropriate permissions. SecondInvetory and Meerkat both perform these checks presently.

Certainly any mechanism can be defeated, but I doubt if we can do any better than removing anything identified as pirated and warning/banning persistent offenders. This is the mechanism used elsewhere.

The problem comes with stuff that is not a copy, but is similar.

For example I am sure the chairs that I created almost a year ago when I started with OpenSim are very similar to those created within SL by others. There really are only a very few ways to build a chair, even with texturing variants!

For the moment an "honor system" as proposed by Adam should be adequate while the OpenSim user group is relatively small, but inevitably we will have to add somehting more formal as the group grows. Sooner or later the "bad apples" are going to appear!

For now though, lets just get something going as Adam suggests!

Karen

> added content is reviewed first? Better to solve this
> problem now, than to have
> license issues later.
>
> Jeroen
>

> Op donderdag 10 december 2009 06:51:55 schreef Frisby,
> Adam:
> > I realise this is going to be painful for some folks;
> but please do not
> >  share content you are not /directly authorized/
> to do on the opensim
> >  website. Directly authorized means either:
> >

> > *         You created
> it.
> >
> > *         It's under a
> specifically open license (CC, GPL, BSD) - and you
> >  can confirm the person who put it under that
> license was the creator (or
> >  authorized copyright owner)
> >
> > *         You know who
> created it explicitly, and obtained their
> >  authorization first.
> >
> > Please do not share random freebies via this method -
> as I can tell you a
> >  number of them are simply pirated content that I
> do not want to have
> >  distributed in any official capacity.
> >
> > Adam
> >
> > From: [hidden email]
> >  [mailto:[hidden email]]
> On Behalf Of Americo
> >  Damasceno Sent: Wednesday, 9 December 2009 5:10
> AM
> > To: [hidden email]
> > Subject: [Opensim-users] Free objects (dmu1 and dmu2
> .IAR files)
> >
> > We are beginning to put available many .IAR files
> having free objects .
> >  Look at:
> >
> > http://opensimulator.org/wiki/Inventory_Archives
> >
> > The   files have objects copied from
> many places;   authorized to be
> >  copied. If you know any copyrighted problem
> about anyone, let us know.
> >
> > Please let me know if all is working OK.

Re: Free objects (dmu1 and dmu2 .IAR files)

Karen_Palen
Both files loaded and rezzed with no problems!

Great work! Thank you!

Karen