Freeswitch Experiments

aiaustin
We have been experimenting with the use of Freeswitch for voice
support on a Grid with Opensim.exe regions running on the same host
as Robust.exe and on several hosts, and on a simple standalone setup.

The Freeswitch server has been run on the same or different hosts to
the machine  on which the Opensim region that acts as the link to
Freeswitch is hosted.  All these combinations work fine if the
correct settings are made to the Freeswitch server I{P address and
the (confusingly named) freeswitch_service_server in Opensim.ini
which is the machine running Opensim.exe and hosting the single
region used by the Freeswitch setup to link between Freeswitch and
Opensim.  You can then use this setup to serve ALL regions on one or
multiple Opensim.exe setups across several machines in a grid
environment if you wish, and if the relevant OpenSim.ini section is
set appropriately in each.

Given this experience, we have reworded the examples in the Wiki to
make them more generic and clear difference between the hosts
involved, as the previous example used a local network example (using
a server on 198.168.0.1) that would not work beyond a typical firewall.

http://opensimulator.org/wiki/Freeswitch_Module

It would be helpful I think if a dev who has access to
OpenSim.ini.example could change one commented lines in the
[FreeSwitchVoice] section of that which can cause a bit of confusion...

; freeswitch_port = 9000

     (rather than the rather confusing example given of port of 80
which makes it sound less like an Opensim.exe supported region port)

Re: Freeswitch Experiments

Christopher Holden

I've been trying to get freeswitch working for months and have built it
successfully many times on both Windows & Linux platforms.

Currently using Ubuntu. I *am* enabling the correct modules before
building and running etc. I am using my EXTERNAL address in all config
files where server addresses are required. I have opened up all the
freeswitch ports on my router to point at my freeswitch server.

Without fail when I log into my sim I get an error in the freeswitch
console:

freeswitch@sim-server> 2010-07-28 09:17:46.476983 [WARNING]
sofia_reg.c:1890 Can't find user [x5o2NhrW9QPKmz4QHmNJBNw==@192.168.1.111]
You must define a domain called '192.168.1.111' in your directory and
add a user with the id="x5o2NhrW9QPKmz4QHmNJBNw==" attribute
and you must configure your device to use the proper domain in it's
authentication credentials. (etc etc etc...)

Is this really down to an error in my basic configuration (server ip
addresses for example) or do I have to 'add a user' as it states and if
so how?!

Googling opensim/freeswitch problems shows this is the most common error
encountered by folks trying to get it working but I have yet to read of
or have anyone explain to me how to fix it!

I'd be so grateful if anyone could give me some pointers,

Thanks,

Chris.

Ai Austin wrote:

> We have been experimenting with the use of Freeswitch for voice
> support on a Grid with Opensim.exe regions running on the same host as
> Robust.exe and on several hosts, and on a simple standalone setup.
>
> The Freeswitch server has been run on the same or different hosts to
> the machine  on which the Opensim region that acts as the link to
> Freeswitch is hosted.  All these combinations work fine if the correct
> settings are made to the Freeswitch server I{P address and the
> (confusingly named) freeswitch_service_server in Opensim.ini which is
> the machine running Opensim.exe and hosting the single region used by
> the Freeswitch setup to link between Freeswitch and Opensim.  You can
> then use this setup to serve ALL regions on one or multiple
> Opensim.exe setups across several machines in a grid environment if
> you wish, and if the relevant OpenSim.ini section is set appropriately
> in each.
>
> Given this experience, we have reworded the examples in the Wiki to
> make them more generic and clear difference between the hosts
> involved, as the previous example used a local network example (using
> a server on 198.168.0.1) that would not work beyond a typical firewall.
>
> http://opensimulator.org/wiki/Freeswitch_Module
>

> It would be helpful I think if a dev who has access to
> OpenSim.ini.example could change one commented lines in the
> [FreeSwitchVoice] section of that which can cause a bit of confusion...
>

> ; freeswitch_port = 9000
>
>     (rather than the rather confusing example given of port of 80
> which makes it sound less like an Opensim.exe supported region port)

Re: Freeswitch Experiments

Olli Aro
Administrator
Hi Chris,

Couple of additional resources here if you have not seen these yet:

http://opensim-users.2152040.n2.nabble.com/Weird-freeswitch-problem-td416522
2.html#a4165222
http://opensim-users.2152040.n2.nabble.com/Voice-Installation-Class-td378257
0.html#a3787135

Regards,

Olli

Thanks to everyone who replied, unfortunately I've had no success.

I'm pretty sure my problems are coming from running behind a NAT router.
My grid is working & publicly accessible but Freeswitch doesn't seem to
play well with NAT. If anyone is in exactly the same boat as me: 0.7 in
GRID mode, accessible from both outside and inside the LAN, with a NAT
router, I'd love to hear from you. In the meantime I'll wait til I can
move it to a hosted environment.

Chris.

Olli Aro wrote:

> Hi Chris,
>
> Couple of additional resources here if you have not seen these yet:
>
> http://opensim-users.2152040.n2.nabble.com/Weird-freeswitch-problem-td416522
> 2.html#a4165222
> http://opensim-users.2152040.n2.nabble.com/Voice-Installation-Class-td378257
> 0.html#a3787135
>
> Regards,
>
> Olli

Re: Freeswitch Experiments

I wonder if anyone knows the purpose of the use of ort 50505 with the
Freeswsitch module.  It is somethign configured in the
[FreeSwitchVoice] section of Opensim.ini but is not a port mentioned
on the Freeswitch firewall setup page... and Freeswitch seems to be
working without it being a port open on our own firewall.

We had to open ports
    1720 for H.323 call control
    5060 for the main default profile calls

We also opened other standard ports 5070 and 5080 for other profile
SIP traffic but I don't think that Opensim uses those... unless
someone knows they are needed?

But it would be nice to establish if port 50505 is used and what
these two lines in Opensim.ini actually do?
      freeswitch_echo_server = same host as freeswitch server (from
opensim setup wiki)
      freeswitch_echo_port = 50505