Freeswitch Ports?

12

Freeswitch Ports?

Robert Klein
I am using Ubuntu for my simulator and a Windows computer for my Freeswitch server all running nicely on my home network. The voice feature works perfectly for avatars using computers sitting in my house, but external (to my network) computers can not use voice. What ports do I need to open on my router so external users can see the Windows Freeswitch server? I have experimented with several obvious ones but nothing works. Is there a port range?

-Robert

Re: Freeswitch Ports?

Dirk Krause
you need to open
UDP
5060
5080
16384 - 32768

TCP and UDP
64738,64739

-- Dirk

winmail.dat (4K) Download Attachment

Re: Freeswitch Ports?

Jor3l Boa
Anyone got Freeswitch working with Ubuntu? I'm trying to build a guide but so far everything is installed and running but nothing works lol.. any help please mail me :)

2010/6/10 Dirk Krause <[hidden email]>
you need to open
UDP
5060
5080
16384 - 32768

TCP and UDP
64738,64739

-- Dirk

Re: Freeswitch Ports?

Dirk Krause
yes, we have ... we have it running on Ubuntu in the Amazon cloud. I'll post what we did - would be cool if you could verify that this works for you.

have to dig it up, though.

brb.

Anyone got Freeswitch working with Ubuntu? I'm trying to build a guide but
so far everything is installed and running but nothing works lol.. any help
please mail me :)

2010/6/10 Dirk Krause <[hidden email]>

> you need to open
> UDP
> 5060
> 5080
> 16384 - 32768
>
> TCP and UDP
> 64738,64739
>
> -- Dirk

That would be cool Dirk, ur using Amazon only for voice?. Would like to try that too if it does work :-)

And now, disabled the firewall and seems like there is always a problem with mod_sofia and the user not allowed/registered.. will try to get arround this again since the last time I got it working but the call never worked..

2010/6/10 Dirk Krause <[hidden email]>
yes, we have ... we have it running on Ubuntu in the Amazon cloud. I'll post what we did - would be cool if you could verify that this works for you.

have to dig it up, though.

brb.

Anyone got Freeswitch working with Ubuntu? I'm trying to build a guide but
so far everything is installed and running but nothing works lol.. any help
please mail me :)

2010/6/10 Dirk Krause <[hidden email]>

> you need to open
> UDP
> 5060
> 5080
> 16384 - 32768
>
> TCP and UDP
> 64738,64739
>
> -- Dirk

Re: Freeswitch Ports?

Dirk Krause
no, we are running both in the cloud.

this is from a project called OpenSim-In-A-Box:
http://web3dblog.wordpress.com/2010/03/26/quick-summary-of-the-opensim-in-a-box/

(or http://bit.ly/aTTQwJ if the link above breaks)

but it shouldn't be a problem to run any combination IIHO.

Anyone got Freeswitch working with Ubuntu? I'm trying to build a guide but
so far everything is installed and running but nothing works lol.. any help
please mail me :)

2010/6/10 Dirk Krause <[hidden email]>

> you need to open
> UDP
> 5060
> 5080
> 16384 - 32768
>
> TCP and UDP
> 64738,64739
>
> -- Dirk

Re: Freeswitch Ports?

Robert Klein
Here is a nice article that might help http://maxping.org/resources/how-to/install/freeswitch-on-ubunutu.aspx

Personally I have never been able to get Freeswitch to work on Ubuntu and have sacrificed several weeks of my life trying. It would be nice to have though.

-Robert

Re: Freeswitch Ports?

Jor3l Boa
Hi robert, thanks for sharing, my guide is actually like that lol.. the problem here is everytime an user connects I'm getting a 'sofia' error with user not registered.. not sure if you got this problem too and know how to solve it.

Since the instructions on web don´t say anything about this, I'm not sure if is a config problem or what.

Jorel
2010/6/10 Robert Klein <[hidden email]>

Here is a nice article that might help
http://maxping.org/resources/how-to/install/freeswitch-on-ubunutu.aspx

Personally I have never been able to get Freeswitch to work on Ubuntu and
have sacrificed several weeks of my life trying. It would be nice to have
though.

-Robert

Freeswitch and OpenSim/Diva Distro

Dirk Krause
Hi,

I put up the installation instructions of freeswitch here:
http://bit.ly/bKX4X0

These were ok for Ubuntu 8 and OpenSim 0.68 IIRC, so it would be interesting if they still work with newer Ubuntus and OpenSims.

What I know for sure is that I can take the OpenSim-In-A-Box (which sports a freeswitch installation) and update to the latest Diva Distro - and Freeswitch works.  I didnt install it with the newest Ubuntu yet, but my guess is that it works.

If this works this should make it's way into the Wiki.

Kudos go to my esteemed colleague Markus who wrote it up.

-- Dirk

winmail.dat (3K) Download Attachment

Re: Freeswitch Ports?

Robert Klein
Hey Dirk thanks for the info. I opened those ports on my router and made sure they were pointing to my Windows Freeswitch box but just doesn't work. I am at a loss to explain why.

1) Put the router's external IP address in all lines in the Freeswitch section of the OpenSim.ini file.

2) Open the ports on the router pointing to the Freeswitch box.

3) Run the OpenSim.exe file.

Am I missing something? Is anyone else using a separate Freeswitch server for their OpenSim?

-Robert

Re: Freeswitch Ports?

Robert Klein
Everything works just fine if I use local IP addressing like the video in your link shows. Since I am not running Freeswitch on the same server as OpenSim that is where the problem starts. If someone out there actually is running Freeswitch on a different server than their OpenSim I would like to know how they did it. Maybe my LinksysWRT54G router is simply not routing correctly? I am currently running OpenSim, MySQL, and Freeswitch all on different servers. Due to performance issues I am thinking about putting the MySQL on the same server as OpenSim.

-Robert

Re: Freeswitch Ports?

peter host-2
Just for the record. I had loads of problems making freeswitch work on
the latest 0.6.9-postfixes ; I reverted to the official 0.6.9 and it
works 'out of the box' (sorta). Freeswitch 0.1.6 built from the repo
still throws "[ERR] mod_xml_curl.c:304 Received HTTP error 404 trying
to fetch http://..." errors, which disappear when switching back to
freeswitch 1.0.4 or previous.

I'm also running freeswitch on a different low-lattency server, with
5060 & 5080 ports open (tcp+udp) to the world, but i'm afraid i won't
be able to help you much as it's hosted and i don't know which
hardware they use (switches/routers)

As for remote mysql, i also did that earlier, and for the same reasons
as you (perf issues, lattency), i abandonned it for local mysql
databases. It's really not worth the effort. All the more so as dumps
being smaller, backups progress more smoothly.

(all this on debian linux)

NB : the BEST freeswitch installation method i found sofar on debian
is to just download the tgz, modify modules.conf, then issue a
"dpkg-buildpackage -rfakeroot -us -uc -b" ; as freeswitch is
debian-friendly, it then automatically builds (10 or so) .deb
packages, which make installation/debugging/portability easier. As
you're on Ubuntu, the same method should apply.

On Sat, Jun 12, 2010 at 11:45 PM, Robert Klein <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Everything works just fine if I use local IP addressing like the video in
> your link shows. Since I am not running Freeswitch on the same server as
> OpenSim that is where the problem starts. If someone out there actually is
> running Freeswitch on a different server than their OpenSim I would like to
> know how they did it. Maybe my LinksysWRT54G router is simply not routing
> correctly? I am currently running OpenSim, MySQL, and Freeswitch all on
> different servers. Due to performance issues I am thinking about putting the
> MySQL on the same server as OpenSim.
>
> -Robert

Re: Freeswitch Ports?

Robert Klein
Freeswitch continues to eat my remaining life away. After testing all sorts of configurations I have determined Freeswitch only wants to deal with a single server and would rather die than accept anything else. The EASIEST way to have voice available to anyone trying to externally hit your OpenSim is to have Freeswitch running on the same server as the OpenSim instance. So to make life easier all the way around get a fairly powerful server and put OpenSim, MySQL, and Freeswitch on it. ;)

-Robert

btw - this assumes you are wanting to run OpenSim at home and have people externally connect to it.

Re: Freeswitch Ports?

Jor3l Boa
Well it dont wants to run with me.. dont know why it close the call all the time and I've tested on ubuntu server and ubuntu desktop 10.04 :/

one question, should voice be enabled even if there is only one avatar connected to ?

2010/6/12 Robert Klein <[hidden email]>

Freeswitch continues to eat my remaining life away. After testing all sorts
of configurations I have determined Freeswitch only wants to deal with a
single server and would rather die than accept anything else. The EASIEST
way to have voice available to anyone trying to externally hit your OpenSim
is to have Freeswitch running on the same server as the OpenSim instance. So
to make life easier all the way around get a fairly powerful server and put
OpenSim, MySQL, and Freeswitch on it. ;)

-Robert

btw - this assumes you are wanting to run OpenSim at home and have people
externally connect to it.

Re: Freeswitch Ports?

Robert Klein
I am not able to get Freeswitch to work on Ubuntu either which is why I was using the Windows machine as the Freeswitch server. Installing Freeswitch on Windows is pretty easy.

Yes voice should still work even if there is only one avatar present.

-Robert

Re: Freeswitch Ports?

Robert Klein
I feel your pain... once you get it running on the Windows box then it will all function nicely as long as you don't try to come in to your OpenSim from the cloud. Let me know if you figure out how to make that happen.

-Robert

[PHYSICS]: Unable to collide test an object

Mespelt, Don
Greetings,
I am getting this error constantly...
[PHYSICS]: Unable to collide test an object:  Attempted to read or write to protected memory.  This is often an indication that other memory is corrupt.

I did find a mantis on it (http://opensimulator.org/mantis/view.php?id=4485) but uh... how do I apply the patch on a Windows machine?  I don't even see the file to edit on my box
     OpenSim/Region/Framework/Scenes/SceneObjectPart.cs

 - Don
12