Fresh standalone install wants table.GridUser

Fresh standalone install wants table.GridUser

Peter Petroff
Hi Opensim-users,

    Wanting to get my feet and whole body wet back into OpenSim, it's
been some time. But something with the databasing is broken and I've
failed to work out what.

    OpenSim, a Standalone installation, is claiming there ought to be a
table in the MySQL database called "GridUser" that is not there.

    Devuan ASCII 2.0 like Debian Stretch 9, amd64; fresh install of
0.9.0.1 re-downloaded today. Trying to use MySQL (actually MariaDB),
also freshly remove --purged. Yes indeed I have mono-complete and not
mono-runtime.

    On attempting to log in (with latest Singularity alpha build 6994 "9
months ago"), OpenSim's console reports to me:

19:35:17 - [LLOGIN SERVICE]: Login request for Peter Petroff at last
using viewer 1.8.7.6994, channel Singularity Test 64, IP
aaa.bbb.ccc.ddd, Mac ________________________________, Id0
________________________________, Possible LibOMVGridProxy: False

19:35:17 - [AUTH SERVICE]: Authenticating for
64d77e28-7e5b-48a0-ae63-46a232787657, user account service present: True

19:35:17 - [LLOGIN SERVICE]: Exception processing login for Peter
Petroff: MySql.Data.MySqlClient.MySqlException (0x80004005): Table
'opensimdb.GridUser' doesn't exist
  at MySql.Data.MySqlClient.MySqlStream.ReadPacket () [0x00096] in
<0004ab8b375b422f9000ac25a68089d9>:0
  at MySql.Data.MySqlClient.NativeDriver.GetResult (System.Int32&
affectedRow, System.Int64& insertedId) [0x00000] in
<0004ab8b375b422f9000ac25a68089d9>:0    at
MySql.Data.MySqlClient.MySqlStream.ReadPacket () [0x00096] in
<0004ab8b375b422f9000ac25a68089d9>:0
  at MySql.Data.MySqlClient.NativeDriver.GetResult (System.Int32&
affectedRow, System.Int64& insertedId) [0x00000] in
<0004ab8b375b422f9000ac25a68089d9>:0

19:35:17 - [PRESENCE SERVICE]: LogoutAgent: session
77a33b5d-0fac-4556-b881-e3ec7fee8042, user , region

    So, the account/user exists. The database exists and OpenSim is
communicating with it, but unlike the advice given in the
Troubleshooting page, this is NOT a migration (and the relevant table in
the database has null values anyway):

# mysql
Welcome to the MariaDB monitor.  Commands end with ; or \g.
Your MariaDB connection id is 58
Server version: 10.1.37-MariaDB-0+deb9u1 Debian 9.6

Copyright (c) 2000, 2018, Oracle, MariaDB Corporation Ab and others.

Type 'help;' or '\h' for help. Type '\c' to clear the current input
statement.

MariaDB [(none)]> use opensimdb;

Database changed
MariaDB [opensimdb]> show tables;
+---------------------+
| Tables_in_opensimdb |
+---------------------+
| AgentPrefs          |
| Avatars             |
| Friends             |
| UserAccounts        |
| assets              |
| auth                |
| bakedterrain        |
| estate_groups       |
| estate_managers     |
| estate_map          |
| estate_settings     |
| estate_users        |
| estateban           |
| inventoryfolders    |
| inventoryitems      |
| land                |
| landaccesslist      |
| migrations          |
| primitems           |
| prims               |
| primshapes          |
| regionban           |
| regionenvironment   |
| regionextra         |
| regionsettings      |
| regionwindlight     |
| spawn_points        |
| terrain             |
| tokens              |
+---------------------+
29 rows in set (0.00 sec)

MariaDB [opensimdb]> describe migrations;
+---------+--------------+------+-----+---------+-------+
| Field   | Type         | Null | Key | Default | Extra |
+---------+--------------+------+-----+---------+-------+
| name    | varchar(100) | YES  |     | NULL    |       |
| version | int(11)      | YES  |     | NULL    |       |
+---------+--------------+------+-----+---------+-------+
2 rows in set (0.00 sec)

And there is very definitely no table in the database called "GridUser".
I thought I'd configured this for standalone.

I've had a look at the GridUser table structure at /wiki/GridUser. I can
see it's nothing obviously related to a Grid versus Standalone table (do
I have to manually SQL-build such a table?).

I haven't seen any references to other people having this issue, at
least not in the last four months of the OpenSim-users' mailing list.

And I can see others have been using MySQL or MariaDB with no problems.

Even though it's not a migration issue, I HAVE quit OpenSim, dropped the
migrations table and re-run, to no effect.

... not to mention (a separate problem?) I can make changes to MariaDB's
my.cnf and /etc/init.d/mysql reload them, but if I try to mysql stop and
mysql start them, MySQL/Maria fails and refuses to restart.

Have I misconfigured something? Or do I have to (for whatever
incomprehensible reason) revert to the "'out of the box' in standalone
mode - no code compilation or other installation required" of the SQLite
database?

Would greatly appreciate any advice and pointing to what I've missed please,

P.

Re: Fresh standalone install wants table.GridUser

Jeff Kelley
At 6:56 PM +1000 1/23/19, Peter Petroff wrote:

>    OpenSim, a Standalone installation, is claiming there ought to be a
>table in the MySQL database called "GridUser" that is not there.

https://forum.metrogrid.de/discussion/4848/mysql-issue-when-running-simulator-on-debian

Does this help?

-- Jeff

Re: Fresh standalone install wants table.GridUser

Peter Petroff
I'm afraid it doesn't seem to help; that seems to be about a plugin
failing to load and its failure crashing other things.

As far as I can tell, the database engine seems working fine; it's a
table missing from the database.

Going back to SQLite avoids that error but seems to have other issues
I'm working on now. Shortly, I'll try hosting both SQLite-based server
and client on the same machine to be sure there are no firewall issues
either. Or I'll go back to an older OpenSim instance like 0.9.0.0 or
earlier...?

Peter.

At 1:10 PM +1000 1/24/19, Peter Petroff wrote:

>I'm afraid it doesn't seem to help; that seems to be about a plugin
>failing to load and its failure crashing other things.

https://forum.metrogrid.de/discussion/4848/mysql-issue-when-running-simulator-on-debian

Quote.

One issue I'm aware of with Diva and MariaDB (default mysql on Debian
9) is a missing GridUser table.

The problem is, that MariaDB uses the utf8mb4 character set per
default when you create the table, but the table has been designed
for the utf8 character set which uses less bytes. while utf8 needs
one to three bytes per character, utf8mb4 needs 4 bytes per character.

Given the defined length of 255 characters for the UserID, which is
the primary key, this results in more than the maximum length of 767
bytes for the primary key when used with the utf8mb4 character set.

The solution is simple: create the database with utf8 as the default
character set.

MariaDB [(none)]> create database opensim character set = 'utf8'
collate = 'utf8_general_ci';

End quote.