Friends in trouble

Stefan Andersson-3

Esteemed fellow metanauts,

Today I read this disturbing post;

http://blogs.sun.com/wonderland/entry/good_news_and_bad_news

Basically, the SUN Wonderland seems to be losing SUN (now Oracle) support. They now need to transition into a community-driven effort.

This prompted me to add the following comment to the blog post:

“Sad Tidings in deed. I don't know if any of you have been following the OpenSim project, or been in touch with it, but maybe this is an golden opportunity to seek inter-project collaboration. The OpenSim community has worked without a central organization backing it up since the beginning, so I guess we have some experience working the way I guess you need to do. Since we have no central organization, nobody can speak for it, but most of us are nice people, always eager to help a fellow metanaut. (on an unrelated note, I for one would love++ to see a wonderland stack for OpenSim.)”

While nobody can tell nobody what to do I personally think the OpenSim community should do our outmost to help and support this sibling project. Contrary to the beliefs of many, the field of virtual worlds are nowhere near the maturity where we can stand the consolidation-by-biting-dust that we have seen recently. There will be no thousand worlds blooming.

Incidentally, I have for some time been thinking that it might be timely to start thinking about how OpenSim would be able to support the architectures of client-oriented environments (like Wonderland and Unity) better.

Best regards,

/Stefan

Re: Friends in trouble

James Stallings II