Fw: Re: [SLED] Linden Lab Sells Second Life!

12

Fw: Re: [SLED] Linden Lab Sells Second Life!

Jonathan Greenlee

This was funny.
Vandalising everyone's avatar was not.

> On Wed, Apr 1, 2009 at 3:59 PM, S Collingwood <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> This is really BIG.  A takeover!  We can expect
> panzer tanks rolling into shopping malls --  uniformed guards at sim crossings
> --  dogs and cats living together -- it's the END!!
>
> Linden Lab Sells Second Life!
> >
> > http://www.secondlifeupdate.com/news-and-stuff/linden-lab-sells-second-life/

Re: Fw: Re: [SLED] Linden Lab Sells Second Life!

mw-2
don't you think you have said that enough by now. If you don't think it was funny then don't use opensim. No one is forcing you to. We gain nothing from you doing so.

We give  and don't take but thats not enough for some people. No avatars were vandalised, they had a animation playing.

If everyone wants development on opensim to slow down you are going to right way about it. why should any developer spend their time improving things for everyone when this is what we all get.

We'll I certainly don't think I want to waste my time any more.

> On Wed, Apr 1, 2009 at 3:59 PM, S Collingwood
<[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> This is really BIG.  A takeover!  We can expect
> panzer tanks rolling into shopping malls --  uniformed guards at sim
crossings
> --  dogs and cats living together -- it's the END!!
>
> Linden Lab Sells Second Life!

http://www.secondlifeupdate.com/news-and-stuff/linden-lab-sells-second-life/

Re: Fw: Re: [SLED] Linden Lab Sells Second Life!

Teravus Ovares
FYI, the avatar stick bug April 1 joke was my idea.

Also, I think it's really important to note that all of the developers
of OpenSimulator have, since day one told people to avoid SVN for
something that is production.   That includes anything that you want
to work.

April 1st is a tradition in OpenSimulator and on April 1st a sense of
humor is required when using SVN.   We made sure that all releases and
tags did *not* have the April fool's joke in it for this very reason.
   We make releases and tag revisions not for our benefit, but for
yours.

I know some people on this list don't spend time on IRC, however, it's
been hinted upon since February that there would likely be an April
fool's joke there.  For those that argue that most people don't sit in
IRC, see two paragraphs up.

Now, if despite our warnings and hints, you continued to use SVN, then
likely your avatar were stick-bugged.

I reiterate what has been said all along.   Direct SVN revisions are
risky.  They've always been, and it's always bad practice to use them
unless you've thoroughly looked them over.   A lot of people thought
it was funny.  The people who did not were in the far minority.

Sincerely

Teravus

On 4/1/09, Jonathan Greenlee <[hidden email]> wrote:

> This was funny.
> Vandalising everyone's avatar was not.
>
> > On Wed, Apr 1, 2009 at 3:59 PM, S Collingwood <[hidden email]>
> > wrote:
> > This is really BIG.  A takeover!  We can expect
> > panzer tanks rolling into shopping malls --  uniformed guards at sim crossings
> > --  dogs and cats living together -- it's the END!!
> >
> > Linden Lab Sells Second Life!
> > >
> > > http://www.secondlifeupdate.com/news-and-stuff/linden-lab-sells-second-life/

Re: Fw: Re: [SLED] Linden Lab Sells Second Life!

mw-2
While Teravus did the april 1st joke, all of core (or certainly most of it) knew about it. And we fully supported him applying it. As he said it was never in a tagged version.

FYI, the avatar stick bug April 1 joke was my idea.

Also, I think it's really important to note that all of the developers
of OpenSimulator have, since day one told people to avoid SVN for
something that is production. That includes anything that you want
to work.

April 1st is a tradition in OpenSimulator and on April 1st a sense of
humor is required when using SVN. We made sure that all releases and
tags did *not* have the April fool's joke in it for this very reason.
We make releases and tag revisions not for our benefit, but for
yours.

I know some people on this list don't spend time on IRC, however, it's
been hinted upon since February that there would likely be an April
fool's joke there. For those that argue that most people don't sit in
IRC, see two paragraphs up.

Now, if despite our warnings and hints, you continued to use SVN, then
likely your avatar were stick-bugged.

I reiterate what has been said all along. Direct SVN revisions are
risky. They've always been, and it's always bad practice to use them
unless you've thoroughly looked them over. A lot of people thought
it was funny. The people who did not were in the far minority.

Sincerely

Teravus

On 4/1/09, Jonathan Greenlee <[hidden email]> wrote:

> This was funny.
> Vandalising everyone's avatar was not.
>
> > On Wed, Apr 1, 2009 at 3:59 PM, S Collingwood
<[hidden email]>
> > wrote:
> > This is really BIG. A takeover! We can expect
> > panzer tanks rolling into shopping malls -- uniformed guards at sim
crossings
> > -- dogs and cats living together -- it's the END!!
> >
> > Linden Lab Sells Second Life!

http://www.secondlifeupdate.com/news-and-stuff/linden-lab-sells-second-life/

Re: [SLED] Linden Lab Sells Second Life!

LaeMi Wang
-snip-
more bitterness about the stretchy AVs prank
-/snip-

Okay. We get it already!

Yes, the core devs probably should be more aware of how precious people's AVs
are to them (there is a TON of research on this).

But if someone's business and family are so reliant on the functionality of
the server why the hell are they running off CVS head!?!? real bugs far worse
than this hit head almost weekly. That is what head is for.

I only play in OS at present and even I keep a last-working-compile around
until I have verified the new one is OK. Me thinks the user doth protest (far)
too much.

Re: Fw: Re: [SLED] Linden Lab Sells Second Life!

Jonathan Greenlee

I want to make sure you understand why my company is now withdrawing our good will and support toward OpenSim,
And why we are withdrawing our financial support from several OpenSim Grids we were supporting with our business.

> Teravus did the april 1st joke, all of core (or certainly
> most of it) knew about it. And we fully supported him
> applying it. As he said it was never in a tagged version.
>
> --- On Wed, 1/4/09, Teravus Ovares
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
> From: Teravus Ovares
> <[hidden email]>
> Subject: Re: [Opensim-users] Fw: Re: [SLED] Linden Lab
> Sells Second Life!
> To: [hidden email],
> [hidden email]
> Date: Wednesday, 1 April, 2009, 9:59 PM
>
> FYI, the avatar stick bug April 1 joke was my idea.
>
> Also, I think it's really important to note that all of
> the developers
> of OpenSimulator have, since day one told people to avoid
> SVN for
> something that is production.   That includes anything that
>  you want
> to work.
>
> April 1st is a tradition in OpenSimulator and on April 1st
> a sense of
> humor is required when using SVN.   We made sure that all
> releases and
> tags did *not* have the April fool's joke in it for
> this very reason.
>    We make releases and tag revisions not for our benefit,
> but for
> yours.
>
> I know some people on this list don't spend time on
> IRC, however, it's
> been hinted upon since February that there would likely be
> an April
> fool's joke there.  For those that argue that most
> people don't sit in
> IRC, see two paragraphs up.
>
> Now, if despite our warnings and hints, you continued to
> use SVN, then
> likely your avatar were stick-bugged.
>
> I reiterate what has been said all along.   Direct SVN
> revisions are
> risky.  They've always been, and it's always bad
> practice to use them
> unless you've thoroughly looked them over.   A lot of
> people thought
> it was funny.  The people who did not were in
>  the far minority.
>

> Sincerely
>
> Teravus
>

> On 4/1/09, Jonathan Greenlee
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >

> > This was funny.
> > Vandalising everyone's avatar was not.
> >
> > > On Wed, Apr 1, 2009 at 3:59 PM, S Collingwood
> <[hidden email]>
> > > wrote:
> > > This is really BIG.  A takeover!  We can expect
> > > panzer tanks rolling into shopping malls --
> uniformed guards at sim
> crossings
> > > --  dogs and cats living together -- it's the
> END!!
> > >
> > > Linden Lab Sells Second Life!
> > > >

> http://www.secondlifeupdate.com/news-and-stuff/linden-lab-sells-second-life/
> > > --

> -----Inline Attachment Follows-----

Re: Fw: Re: [SLED] Linden Lab Sells Second Life!

VladQui
Well done Teravus...!

I enjoyed my new funny look a lot.....    :-)
Besides, I could continue working with no problem (no time lost);
fortunately I was not in the middle of a fashion modeling session.

A Little humor now and then can't hurt anyone, even if they have forgotten
how to laugh.
Can you imagine if the big crash of some weeks ago had coincided with April
1st?
Would any one of those bitter users believe it was just a coincidence and
not some obscure and tortuous conspiracy to make them lose their valuable
time?

Let's move on and make OpenSim the friendly and efficient environment we all
want it to become.

Sade Andel

FYI, the avatar stick bug April 1 joke was my idea.

Also, I think it's really important to note that all of the developers
of OpenSimulator have, since day one told people to avoid SVN for
something that is production.   That includes anything that you want
to work.

April 1st is a tradition in OpenSimulator and on April 1st a sense of
humor is required when using SVN.   We made sure that all releases and
tags did *not* have the April fool's joke in it for this very reason.
   We make releases and tag revisions not for our benefit, but for
yours.

I know some people on this list don't spend time on IRC, however, it's
been hinted upon since February that there would likely be an April
fool's joke there.  For those that argue that most people don't sit in
IRC, see two paragraphs up.

Now, if despite our warnings and hints, you continued to use SVN, then
likely your avatar were stick-bugged.

I reiterate what has been said all along.   Direct SVN revisions are
risky.  They've always been, and it's always bad practice to use them
unless you've thoroughly looked them over.   A lot of people thought
it was funny.  The people who did not were in the far minority.

Sincerely

Teravus

On 4/1/09, Jonathan Greenlee <[hidden email]> wrote:

> This was funny.
> Vandalising everyone's avatar was not.
>
> > On Wed, Apr 1, 2009 at 3:59 PM, S Collingwood <[hidden email]>
> > wrote:
> > This is really BIG.  A takeover!  We can expect
> > panzer tanks rolling into shopping malls --  uniformed guards at sim
crossings
> > --  dogs and cats living together -- it's the END!!
> >
> > Linden Lab Sells Second Life!

http://www.secondlifeupdate.com/news-and-stuff/linden-lab-sells-second-life/

Re: Fw: Re: [SLED] Linden Lab Sells Second Life!

Teravus Ovares
You can do this, you can also urge your grid manager people to not use
direct SVN revisions.   It's bad practice anyway.     You can knee
jerk react, or you can learn something here.   SVN, is not for general
public consumption.

One thing that I've learned..      is while, the people who had issue
with this were in the minority, they were certainly louder about it
then the people who had a laugh.

Relax, use a release version and it goes away.

Sincrerely

Teravus

On 4/1/09, Jonathan Greenlee <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I want to make sure you understand why my company is now withdrawing our good will and support toward OpenSim,
> And why we are withdrawing our financial support from several OpenSim Grids we were supporting with our business.

Chris Hart
" But if someone's business and family are so reliant on the
functionality of the server why the hell are they running off CVS
head!?!? real bugs far worse than this hit head almost weekly. That is
what head is for."

Not head, specific revision decided upon after weeks of testing (I am
serious - I have a full dev environment, a staging environment and the
live grid). Please don't assume I take any decision regarding upgrading
lightly. I agonise over every update to tagged branches or otherwise.
From what I could tell, the stable tagging process was more a case of
ask around in IRC and at office hours and see what people think, more
than an official process (0.6.3 a good example of a release that sank
for me because of appearance bugs that would have upset quite a few
users on our grid). I had believed it was more a case of warning the
unassuming folks who just got latest code and hoped for the best. I was
wrong.

I made a bad call, I regret the inconvenience to anyone on ReactionGrid,
I regret the fact that I lost two hours to someone else's prank. What
hurts more is that I've been attacked by many whom I respect over the
course of the day for my own stupidity. I made the decision to stop with
regular contract work and work on an OpenSim project because it was a
platform I believed in with a core of good people who knew what they
were doing. I care about what I do, I care about my grid, and I don't
want to let people down. Fine, I'm in the minority, I'll stay there
happily.

Re: [SLED] Linden Lab Sells Second Life!

mw-2
But don't you think us developers are hurt by being attacked by people because of this? Everyone acts like they are entitled to so much and we don't count and we should just do as we are told and provide everyone with what they demand.

Re: Fw: Re: [SLED] Linden Lab Sells Second Life!

Skidz Tweak
Don't let the door hit you in the butt!
Everyone bitching about this only has theirselves to blame!
If you can't live with that fact, keep making up crap in your head saying it
was someone else fault. That's it... the sweet feel of denial.

> [...]

>  the far minority.
>

> Sincerely
>
> Teravus
>

> On 4/1/09, Jonathan Greenlee
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >

> > This was funny.
> > Vandalising everyone's avatar was not.
> >
> > > On Wed, Apr 1, 2009 at 3:59 PM, S Collingwood
> <[hidden email]>
> > > wrote:
> > > This is really BIG.  A takeover!  We can expect
> > > panzer tanks rolling into shopping malls --
> uniformed guards at sim
> crossings
> > > --  dogs and cats living together -- it's the
> END!!
> > >
> > > Linden Lab Sells Second Life!

http://www.secondlifeupdate.com/news-and-stuff/linden-lab-sells-second-life/

> > > --

> -----Inline Attachment Follows-----

Re: Fw: Re: [SLED] Linden Lab Sells Second Life!

Now now, lets be reasonable.     It's one thing to get April fooled..
 it's another to gloat about it.  Generally, I don't think it's a good
idea to gloat.   It is what it is ..    and we learn and continue on.

Sincerely

Teravus

On 4/1/09, Skidz Tweak <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Don't let the door hit you in the butt!
> Everyone bitching about this only has theirselves to blame!
> If you can't live with that fact, keep making up crap in your head saying it
> was someone else fault. That's it... the sweet feel of denial.

Mic Bowman
Can I just point out that the reason for the strong reactions on both
sides of this discussion is that we all have a deep "attachment" to
opensim. Whether the attachment is because we see business
opportunities, opportunities to explore new uses for a really cool
technology, or because we've spent a considerable amount of time &
energy creating a piece of software that is truly revolutionary...
regardless of where it comes from it is a credit to the OpenSim
community (the developers, those hosting grids, and the users) that it
has created such a passionate following.

--mic

On Wed, Apr 1, 2009 at 2:35 PM, MW <[hidden email]> wrote:

> But don't you think us developers are hurt by being attacked by people
> because of this? Everyone acts like they are entitled to so much and we
> don't count and we should just do as we are told and provide everyone with
> what they demand.

Charles Krinke-3
In OpenSim, one needs to deploy tagged releases for best "user experience".

SVN trunk is the latest checkin and as the core developers, we warrant that it will compile.

We do not warrant that it will even run, nor anything else. Just compile.

The current tagged release is 0.6.3 and we hope there is a 0.6.4 soon.

It is important that the developers continue to have the freedom of expression to do *whatever* they feel. And, I will support that position without fail. The only reason this project has moved as fast and as well as it has is *because* of this freedom and it is essential to success.

Charles

> [...]

>  the far minority.
>

> Sincerely
>
> Teravus
>

> On 4/1/09, Jonathan Greenlee
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >

> > This was funny.
> > Vandalising everyone's avatar was not.
> >
> > > On Wed, Apr 1, 2009 at 3:59 PM, S Collingwood
> <[hidden email]>
> > > wrote:
> > > This is really BIG.  A takeover!  We can expect
> > > panzer tanks rolling into shopping malls --
> uniformed guards at sim
> crossings
> > > --  dogs and cats living together -- it's the
> END!!
> > >
> > > Linden Lab Sells Second Life!
> > > >

> http://www.secondlifeupdate.com/news-and-stuff/linden-lab-sells-second-life/
> > > --

> -----Inline Attachment Follows-----

Re: Fw: Re: [SLED] Linden Lab Sells Second Life!

Sean Hennessee
Jonathan Greenlee wrote:
> I want to make sure you understand why my company is now withdrawing our good will and support toward OpenSim,
> And why we are withdrawing our financial support from several OpenSim Grids we were supporting with our business.

This sounds like a good idea to me. I would rather not have your
restrictive viewpoints further affecting the dedicated OpenSim
development team and their very creative ideas. Last years April Fools
joke turned out to be a very good coding example of how to do a server
controlled avatar that served as a great starting point for many people
who created server controlled 'greeter' bots, (including a startup
business I am involved with).

Create on Dev Team! I appreciate all that you do including the April
Fools Day 'examples'!

Peace,
Sean

--

Sean Hennessee
Central Computing Support

... . .- -. /  .... . -. -. . ... ... . .

Re: Fw: Re: [SLED] Linden Lab Sells Second Life!

Teravus Ovares
One more reply to this.   Have a look at some positive responses.

http://osgrid.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1051&start=10

Sincrerely

Teravus

On 4/1/09, Teravus Ovares <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Now now, lets be reasonable.     It's one thing to get April fooled..
>  it's another to gloat about it.  Generally, I don't think it's a good
> idea to gloat.   It is what it is ..    and we learn and continue on.
>
> Sincerely
>
> Teravus
>

> On 4/1/09, Skidz Tweak <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Don't let the door hit you in the butt!
> > Everyone bitching about this only has theirselves to blame!
> > If you can't live with that fact, keep making up crap in your head saying it
> > was someone else fault. That's it... the sweet feel of denial.

I agree with Teravus, we shouldn't gloat.

Personally I'm very saddened by anyone who decides to stop using opensim. We have all put so much into this and of course we want as many people as possible to use it. Just don't attack us and treat us like we owe you everything.

We want people to use it because we have such feelings for what we are doing, but we don't gain anything else from people using it. So just show some understanding for our side.

Now now, lets be reasonable.     It's one thing to get April fooled..
it's another to gloat about it. Generally, I don't think it's a
good
idea to gloat. It is what it is .. and we learn and continue on.

Sincerely

Teravus

On 4/1/09, Skidz Tweak <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Don't let the door hit you in the butt!
> Everyone bitching about this only has theirselves to blame!
> If you can't live with that fact, keep making up crap in your head
saying it

> was someone else fault. That's it... the sweet feel of denial.

Your right... sorry all...

To Dev Team: Don't let this get you down, you all do an outstanding job!!!

Now now, lets be reasonable.     It's one thing to get April fooled..
 it's another to gloat about it.  Generally, I don't think it's a good
idea to gloat.   It is what it is ..    and we learn and continue on.

Sincerely

Teravus

On 4/1/09, Skidz Tweak <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Don't let the door hit you in the butt!
> Everyone bitching about this only has theirselves to blame!
> If you can't live with that fact, keep making up crap in your head saying
it

> was someone else fault. That's it... the sweet feel of denial.

Re: Strange effekt / Avatar totaly stretched

drwhiet@spacefriends.de
Too bad its 2nd April in Germany now and it is gone ;-)
I wonder if
void osStopOtherAnimations(list animation_exceptions);
had helped ?

Word

One more reply to this.   Have a look at some positive responses.

http://osgrid.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1051&start=10

Sincrerely

Teravus

On 4/1/09, Teravus Ovares <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Now now, lets be reasonable.     It's one thing to get April fooled..
>  it's another to gloat about it.  Generally, I don't think it's a good
> idea to gloat.   It is what it is ..    and we learn and continue on.
>
> Sincerely
>
> Teravus
>

> On 4/1/09, Skidz Tweak <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Don't let the door hit you in the butt!
> > Everyone bitching about this only has theirselves to blame!
> > If you can't live with that fact, keep making up crap in your head
> > saying it was someone else fault. That's it... the sweet feel of denial.

12