[Fwd: Re: Speaking of Content Theft, How About Our Own Backyard?]

[Fwd: Re: Speaking of Content Theft, How About Our Own Backyard?]

justincc
Oops, sorry - I meant the first comment on the second page.

http://secondthoughts.typepad.com/second_thoughts/2010/01/why-i-never-go-over-to-opensim/comments/page/2/#comments

Re: [Fwd: Re: Speaking of Content Theft, How About Our Own Backyard?]

Len W. Brown
ustin, thanks for the link, but that is not the original Lilith of "Heart to Heart" but an imposter.

I've dealt with her before trying to sell me Liliths plants in Second Life.  I learned this when going directly to Lilith in "Heart to Heart" and purchasing her plants in-world from her many different regions.  Also, the idea that Lilith (the real one, of course) is willing to pay a phenomenal amount of real world cash for regions in Second Life, kinda trumps, for me, the argument the imposter Lilith Strangelove poses.

As an example, I was able to register "Lilith Heart" on OSGrid!  I will be turning over the account and password to "the real ilith" in Second Life to make sure after this post no one else can do it.

That point alone renders Lilith Strangelove's argument invalid and void.  If Lilith Heart is known to literally millions in Second Life, then why register a different name on OSGrid and leave "Lilith Heart" open for just anyone - like me - to register and use.  You see, right now I could create anything on OSGrid as "Lilith Heart" - doesn't make much sense.

Thanks for the link Justin.  It made me more aware of Lilith Strangelove's tactics.

- Len

On Tue, Feb 23, 2010 at 5:21 PM, Justin Clark-Casey <[hidden email]> wrote:
Oops, sorry - I meant the first comment on the second page.

http://secondthoughts.typepad.com/second_thoughts/2010/01/why-i-never-go-over-to-opensim/comments/page/2/#comments

>      I wonder if Lilith Heart, who has made her fortune selling an
> endless variety of absolutely beautiful plants in Second Life knows that
> her years of devoted and hard work have been cleanly ripped and
> presented all over OSGrid?  And in what probably amounted to a couple
> hours of image ripping and XML exporting...

In this case, it appears that Lilith imported the content herself.  See the first comment at

http://secondthoughts.typepad.com/second_thoughts/2010/01/why-i-never-go-over-to-opensim.html

>      Sadly, there's not a single thing she can do.  Which is why, though
> I happily imported my entire furniture and building collection into
> OpenSim, not a single piece of it is (yet) available to the general
> public on OSGrid.  I eventually plan to make it all available, but the
> simple fact is, when I do, it will immediately be ripped to shreds and
> will be found spread out all over the grid.  Not such a bad thing to one
> degree since the furniture is all very highly detailed, but it will
> surely put a very resoundingly obvious period at the end of my virtual
> business endeavors.  In other words, I don't see a penny from it.
>
> --
> - Len W. Brown
>   [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>

Re: [Fwd: Re: Speaking of Content Theft, How About Our Own Backyard?]

Karen_Palen
Justin,

Thank you for that reference on several levels.

I see Prokofy has not changed much and I for one am in the crowd that thinks OpenSim is worth the effort just to avoid his rantings LOL

By background I am a Software Engineer and also a Patent Agent so I have some knowledge of these issues and the underlying dynamics of the law and society! As you can see these issues passionately interest me!

The discussion does outline many of the very real issues facing every IP creator today and it is certainly a huge problem.

I doubt if Second Life or OpenSim will be the forum to provide solutions to the problems raised though.

Sadly many of the issues go far beyond MetaWorlds and there are quite a few nuances that are not yet important but eventually will be.

As many of the more thoughtful commenters have observed, there are no simple solutions. Some "bounds" to the problem do appear to present themselves.

One of these "bounds" is that creators of content clearly deserve some "reasonable" compensation (at some level) for their efforts.

"Reasonable" being one of those words  which lawyers spend their entire careers debating!

In the current context though I think it is important to establish some sort of test which would establish the actual creator.

At the moment all we have is the unsupported word of the supposed "creator" and some very suspicious looking images.

The other thing that is lacking is some sort of standard to evaluate the evidence and someone to perform that function.

Mob rule and vigilante justice will only make the problem worse.

Anyway thanks for the thoughtful reference, it is good to know that others are thinking seriously about solutions rather than reacting in a blind panic!

Karen

> > endless variety of absolutely beautiful plants in
> Second Life knows that
> > her years of devoted and hard work have been cleanly
> ripped and
> > presented all over OSGrid?  And in what probably
> amounted to a couple
> > hours of image ripping and XML exporting...
>
> In this case, it appears that Lilith imported the content
> herself.  See the first comment at
>
> http://secondthoughts.typepad.com/second_thoughts/2010/01/why-i-never-go-over-to-opensim.html
>

> >      Sadly, there's not a single thing
> she can do.  Which is why, though
> > I happily imported my entire furniture and building
> collection into
> > OpenSim, not a single piece of it is (yet) available
> to the general
> > public on OSGrid.  I eventually plan to make it
> all available, but the
> > simple fact is, when I do, it will immediately be
> ripped to shreds and
> > will be found spread out all over the grid.  Not
> such a bad thing to one
> > degree since the furniture is all very highly
> detailed, but it will
> > surely put a very resoundingly obvious period at the
> end of my virtual
> > business endeavors.  In other words, I don't see
> a penny from it.
> >
> > --
> > - Len W. Brown
> >   [hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>

> Justin Clark-Casey (justincc)
> http://justincc.org
> http://twitter.com/justincc
>

> --
> Justin Clark-Casey (justincc)
> http://justincc.org
> http://twitter.com/justincc

Re: [Fwd: Re: Speaking of Content Theft, How About Our Own Backyard?]

Len W. Brown
Twitter uses verification which is why we know who the real Bill Gates and Brent Spiner are!

http://twitter.com/BrentSpiner

http://twitter.com/BillGates

Twitters "Verified Account" badge says it all.  then again, we trust Twitter to do all the necessary checks and balances for us.

OpenID sounds legit for this purpose to me.  Though Gucci and Versace endured a lifetime of knock-off replicas so it won't stop the liars.  but it WILL certify that the one you buy it rom is the real deal - if you want to support the original creator anyway.

- Len