Grey avatars & no hair or eyes!

Kevin Buckley

I’m having a few problems with rel 0.6.7.  I am running standalone and have 2 users (each are ‘Master Avatar’ of their own regions).

When we are both logged-in we see ourselves OK but see the other AV as grey (apart from hair and eyes – see below).

We see our own hair and eyes as blank (white) but other AV hair and eyes as OK.

If I edit appearance, hair and eyes become normal – but a few seconds after exiting ‘edit appearance’ they revert to blank.

Anyone experiencing this (and knows how to fix)?  I’m using MySQL by the way.

Also, I have Physics set to ODE and this is causing a lot of ‘flailing’.  How to fix?

Any suggestions appreciated!

Re: Grey avatars & no hair or eyes!

William Magee
This problem can be fixed by creating new shape, skin, hair, clothes,
etc and changing their default settings (including their names, I
think).

The mantis says this:

This issue is kind of expected behavior. If you create new clothes and
don't change it's parameter, the viewer understands it to be the
default wearables (aka Ruth). Since the viewers no longer has (SL)
Ruth, you become clouds of gas or all greyed out. Not sure how to fix
this yet.

and:

It's been decided that grids are supposed to implement first clothes
for users to avoid Ruthness issues. Still trying to come up with a
default real clothing, but this issue is not really bug, so closing it
down.

See the report:

Cheers,
Bill

On Mon, Oct 19, 2009 at 8:57 AM, Kevin Buckley
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> I’m having a few problems with rel 0.6.7.  I am running standalone and have
> 2 users (each are ‘Master Avatar’ of their own regions).
>

> When we are both logged-in we see ourselves OK but see the other AV as grey
> (apart from hair and eyes – see below).
>

> We see our own hair and eyes as blank (white) but other AV hair and eyes as
> OK.
>

> If I edit appearance, hair and eyes become normal – but a few seconds after
> exiting ‘edit appearance’ they revert to blank.
>

> Anyone experiencing this (and knows how to fix)?  I’m using MySQL by the
> way.
>

> Also, I have Physics set to ODE and this is causing a lot of ‘flailing’.
> How to fix?
>

> Any suggestions appreciated!

Re: Grey avatars & no hair or eyes!

Kevin Buckley
I did that already - and that solved my initial 'cloud' problem.  I even
imported some clothes and skins from 2L that I created there.  Still same
issue - I can see myself and my clothes/skins/hair, but other AV is grey,
and my hair and eyes are white (blank?).  And vice-versa.

<[hidden email]> wrote:
> I’m having a few problems with rel 0.6.7.  I am running standalone and
have
> 2 users (each are ‘Master Avatar’ of their own regions).
>

> When we are both logged-in we see ourselves OK but see the other AV as
grey
> (apart from hair and eyes – see below).
>

> We see our own hair and eyes as blank (white) but other AV hair and eyes
as
> OK.
>

> If I edit appearance, hair and eyes become normal – but a few seconds
after

> exiting ‘edit appearance’ they revert to blank.
>

> Anyone experiencing this (and knows how to fix)?  I’m using MySQL by the
> way.
>

> Also, I have Physics set to ODE and this is causing a lot of ‘flailing’.
> How to fix?
>

> Any suggestions appreciated!

Re: Grey avatars & no hair or eyes!

William Magee
Hi Kevin,

Well, I sweated this gray clothes blank hair and eyes thing for 2
days. I redid the body parts and eyes again and again. Finally, I
logged in one time and it was all good.

But that is too much work for a production machine, so I moved the
school back onto the Diva distro, which does not have this problem.

Here is some old info from the SL blog that I was getting ready to try
when my avatar finally decided not to be a ghoul:

At https://lists.berlios.de/pipermail/opensim-dev/2008-September/003133.html

I find this:

and for what its worth... just for kicks I added a 5 second sleep into
the inventory retrieval in the mysql inventory module, it fixes the
gray avatar problem. which seems to indicate that the client is
expecting a particular order... and speeding up inventory retrieval
broke that ordering.

And these might help:

http://blog.secondlife.com/2006/09/18/getting-technical-baked-avatar-textures/

http://blog.secondlife.com/2006/10/11/gray-and-missing-image-avatars/

Good luck,
Bill

On Mon, Oct 19, 2009 at 3:37 PM, Kevin Buckley
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> I did that already - and that solved my initial 'cloud' problem.  I even
> imported some clothes and skins from 2L that I created there.  Still same
> issue - I can see myself and my clothes/skins/hair, but other AV is grey,
> and my hair and eyes are white (blank?).  And vice-versa.

William Magee, Ph.D.
Tibetan Section
Dharma Drum Buddhist College
Jinshan, Taiwan
http://magee.ddbc.edu.tw

Re: Grey avatars & no hair or eyes!

Kevin Buckley
Thanks Bill.  I tried logging into OSGrid - no problem, no grey avatars.  So
I downloaded the latest OSGrid release from there (rather than r0.6.7),
changed it to Standalone (Opensim.ini, Standalonecommon.ini) and ran on my
server (I even used a shiny new MySQL database).

Same problem.  Other avatars are grey and my eyes (not my hair now) are
white.  If I edit appearance they change colour for a few seconds then
revert to white.

So seemingly it must either be related to operating Standalone, or there's
something about my PC/software (Windows XP SP2, Pentium processor) which is
causing it.

It's very frustrating when you do the same as everyone else (allegedly!) but
YOUR build behaves differently!

<[hidden email]> wrote:

> I did that already - and that solved my initial 'cloud' problem.  I even
> imported some clothes and skins from 2L that I created there.  Still same
> issue - I can see myself and my clothes/skins/hair, but other AV is grey,
> and my hair and eyes are white (blank?).  And vice-versa.

OK - some progress.  I am running standalone - but I have created a number
of different 'Regions' (defined in Regions.ini).  I have one AV 'homed' in
one region (set during 'create user' - at 1000,1000 for example) and another
in a different region (at 500,500 for example).

Each AV sees itself OK (except for the white eyes!).  If I TP one AV so they
are now both standing next to each other, then each one sees the other grey.

HOWEVER - if I give the visitor AV a copy of some body parts (skin, hair
etc.) and he wears them, hey presto!! He becomes visible!

However, if we TP to another region, then it's back to grey.

So a few questions:

1) Are you allowed to have regions in standalone mode?
2) Do I need to enable or config something to enable assets to follow the AV
from region to region?

Thanks, Kevin

<[hidden email]> wrote:

> I did that already - and that solved my initial 'cloud' problem.  I even
> imported some clothes and skins from 2L that I created there.  Still same
> issue - I can see myself and my clothes/skins/hair, but other AV is grey,
> and my hair and eyes are white (blank?).  And vice-versa.

In the SL blog I mentioned
(https://blogs.secondlife.com/community/features/blog/2006/10/12/gray-and-missing-image-avatars),
James Linden says:

"Try not to teleport immediately after changing outfits, especially if
your avatar is still changing shape or images on your screen. One of
the bugs we found that isn’t fixed in this release can cause “missing
image” when quickly changing outfits before teleports. It usually
affects the face or eyes."

It seems we are dealing with the same or similar issue here, 3 years
later. The assets need time to upload -- apparently a lot of time.

Regions are standard in standalone mode - usually assets follow the
avatar from region to region.

What you say about standalone mode seems true. I have a 0.6.7 on an
Ubuntu laptop running in grid mode - no problem with the eyes. Same
release on an Ubuntu machine running in standalone shows this white
eye problem.

Switch over to grid mode. That might help.

Good luck!

Bill

> So a few questions:
>
> 1) Are you allowed to have regions in standalone mode?
> 2) Do I need to enable or config something to enable assets to follow the AV
> from region to region?
>
> Thanks, Kevin

Paul Fishwick
The white eyes/white hair issue is still open:

I just downloaded a new version of opensim about 5 minutes OK to re-check,
and the problem is still there regardless of renaming of "hair", "eyes",
parameter
changes, etc.

Older, more stable, versions may not exhibit the issue..

-p

Kevin Buckley wrote:

> I did that already - and that solved my initial 'cloud' problem.  I even
> imported some clothes and skins from 2L that I created there.  Still same
> issue - I can see myself and my clothes/skins/hair, but other AV is grey,
> and my hair and eyes are white (blank?).  And vice-versa.

Dr. Paul A. Fishwick           E-Mail: [hidden email]
Dept. of Computer & Info       Phone & FAX: (352) 392-1414
 Science and Engineering       WWW: http://www.cise.ufl.edu/~fishwick
University of Florida          (PGP Key available at above WWW address)
P. O. Box 116120
332 Bldg. CSE, Gainesville, FL 32611-6120

Re: Grey avatars & no hair or eyes!

Kevin Buckley
In case this is useful for anyone my log file has 2 types of interesting
warnings:

"2009-10-19 20:12:21,649 WARN  -
OpenSim.Region.Framework.Scenes.ScenePresence [APPEARANCE]: Missing baked
texture fd8af378-426b-b378-ace1-7b6ffa3e3469 (HeadBaked) for avatar Zaqk
Palmer
2009-10-19 20:12:21,659 WARN  -
OpenSim.Region.Framework.Scenes.ScenePresence [APPEARANCE]: Missing baked
texture d98cc6c5-7fe0-2467-fc31-a897ae21624f (UpperBaked) for avatar Zaqk
Palmer
2009-10-19 20:12:21,669 WARN  -
OpenSim.Region.Framework.Scenes.ScenePresence [APPEARANCE]: Missing baked
texture 195853a9-c1ed-a9a4-a781-dcf6b16ed0a0 (LowerBaked) for avatar Zaqk
Palmer
2009-10-19 20:12:21,719 WARN  -
OpenSim.Region.Framework.Scenes.ScenePresence [APPEARANCE]: Missing baked
texture 4b7c8f31-4a69-6a8c-0c6b-b2862d382140 (EyesBaked) for avatar Zaqk
Palmer"

I get these for both AV's I am currently using for testing.

I can make the 'grey' go away (from the perspective of the 2nd AV) by simply
swapping skins (even though the 2 skins are identical).

When I TP the AV's to another region the greyness comes back.

Also, the log file shows lots of warnings like this:

"2009-10-19 20:14:50,823 WARN  -
OpenSim.Region.ClientStack.LindenUDP.LLUDPServer [LLUDPSERVER]: Received a
StartPingCheck packet from an unrecognized source: 192.168.10.1:3569 in a5,
currently tracking 0 clients
2009-10-19 20:14:50,914 WARN  -
OpenSim.Region.ClientStack.LindenUDP.LLUDPServer [LLUDPSERVER]: Received a
StartPingCheck packet from an unrecognized source: 192.168.10.1:3551 in a2,
currently tracking 0 clients
2009-10-19 20:14:51,064 WARN  -
OpenSim.Region.ClientStack.LindenUDP.LLUDPServer [LLUDPSERVER]: Received a
StartPingCheck packet from an unrecognized source: 192.168.10.1:3569 in a2,
currently tracking 0 clients"

a2 and a5 are regions.

I am running standalone behind a NETGEAR DGN2000 router (which has loopback
enabled).  All my IP addresses in the ini files are EXPLICIT and EXTERNAL
(because I am working with someone who is external).  Nowhere in the ini
files do I refer to an internal 192.168.x.x address (192.168.10.1 is
actually the internal address of the router).

Could this be the source of my problem?

Regards, Kevin

Kevin Buckley wrote:

> I did that already - and that solved my initial 'cloud' problem.  I even
> imported some clothes and skins from 2L that I created there.  Still same
> issue - I can see myself and my clothes/skins/hair, but other AV is grey,
> and my hair and eyes are white (blank?).  And vice-versa.

Maybe you already know this - but the grey avatar, white hair/eyes issue is
different depending on which viewer you use.  For example, on Hippo I get
white eyes but OK hair.  However, on 2L or Emerald I get white eyes AND
white hair. - Kevin

Want to find out when you can get an iPhone with Orange? Register at http://www.orange.co.uk/iphone and we'll let you know.

Re: Grey avatars & no hair or eyes!

William Magee
Yep, I am having the same experience. Hippo working best, as you relate.

On Tue, Oct 20, 2009 at 8:48 PM, Kevin Buckley
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Maybe you already know this - but the grey avatar, white hair/eyes issue is
> different depending on which viewer you use.  For example, on Hippo I get
> white eyes but OK hair.  However, on 2L or Emerald I get white eyes AND
> white hair. - Kevin

This issue is still occurring for me - despite having deployed the latest
v067-post release fixes version yesterday.

It seems to behave differently depending on viewer - but basically hair is
white (2L viewer), eyes are white (all viewers), AV is grey until manually
rebake (Hippo viewer) and visiting AV's are grey (and they see me as grey)
until they go into and exit from 'edit appearance'.

I guess, as not all users of Opensim are seeing this (and I am running a
very vanilla standalone setup). it may be related to the environment in
which Opensim is running?

I DO know that some other users are experiencing it and it has been reported
(see below) - however it doesn't seem to be listed as a 'known bug'.  Does
that mean no-one is working on it?

Regards, Kevin