HELP: OpenSim Crashing

cliveg
Hi

We are using OpenSim 0.7.2 with Mono 2.6.7 and MySQL 5.5.12

The simulator has been running fine for some time.

It has now started crashing on shutdown. The errors are shown in the
attached screen shot

I am wondering if could be problem with the mono version, but why
should it suddenly go wrong after running fine for ages?

Can anyone suggest a fix please as this is part of a European project?

Thanks very much

Clive

segmentation.png (38K) Download Attachment

Re: HELP: OpenSim Crashing

Opensimfan
windows or linux? try to upgrade to mono 2.10.5 or 2.10.8.  the latest opensim 0.7.3 works VERY well...

OpenSimFan

OpenSimFan

My Opensim/Second Life Blog
http://verwijs.wordpress.com

(Dutch, basic hardware/software help windows, Mac, Linux)
http://verwijs-pc.nl

My Twitter Page:
http://twitter.com/OpenSimFan

My Facebook page (be my friend, please )
http://www.facebook.com/andre.verwijs

My Google+ page (follow me please )
André Verwijs - Google+

Re: HELP: OpenSim Crashing

Fleep Tuque
Hi Clive,

I saw on the Mantis that there's a similar report from a while back and in the comments it looks like the issue was identified as a bug with Mono itself.  Why it would start appearing now is beyond my ability to guess (someone suggested in the thread it might have something to do with scripts), but the recommendation in the thread was to upgrade Mono.

Not sure if that helps!

- Chris/Fleep

Chris M. Collins (SL/OS: Fleep Tuque)
Center for Simulations & Virtual Environments Research (UCSIM)
UCIT Instructional & Research Computing
University of Cincinnati
406A Zimmer Hall
315 College Drive
PO BOX 210088
Cincinnati, OH 45221-0088
(513) 556-3018

http://ucsim.uc.edu

On Sat, Feb 25, 2012 at 2:56 AM, Clive Gould <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi

We are using OpenSim 0.7.2 with Mono 2.6.7 and MySQL 5.5.12

The simulator has been running fine for some time.

It has now started crashing on shutdown. The errors are shown in the
attached screen shot

I am wondering if could be problem with the mono version, but why
should it suddenly go wrong after running fine for ages?

Can anyone suggest a fix please as this is part of a European project?

Thanks very much

Clive

Re: HELP: OpenSim Crashing

Wade Schuette
I don't know the fix to your problem.  "Segmentation error" has to be a key phrase there.

But a common reason for systems that work fine to "suddenly break" is that some process that has been quietly filling up some space in the background finally ran out of space. A popular thing to run out of is auto-backup space, or a backup log.

"Out of space" errors can be messy and often present as some entirely different problem.

We had a problem on one system running out of space that still showed 20% empty that had us scratching our heads for a while.   Turns out that our use was fragmenting the empty space into ever smaller pieces, and while we still had space, it was all fragmented into such small pieces that no piece was large enough to fit the new extent size some program needed.    Solution to that:  defragment the disk. (Not a bad idea in general.)

Not a bad idea to defragment tables too, in general, if they have a lot of changes.  I've read that MySQL doesn't need to do that.  I remain skeptical. :)

One system we had was working fine and suddenly hung. I checked and there were 32,767 people in the database.    Some variable had been set to 8 bit and it had run out of room in the FIELD to add one more.

Clean, groom, throw out the trash, defragment ... all good housekeeping ideas in general.

Wade

On 2/24/12 11:56 PM, Clive Gould wrote:
Hi

We are using OpenSim 0.7.2 with Mono 2.6.7 and MySQL 5.5.12

The simulator has been running fine for some time.

It has now started crashing on shutdown. The errors are shown in the
attached screen shot

I am wondering if could be problem with the mono version, but why
should it suddenly go wrong after running fine for ages?

Can anyone suggest a fix please as this is part of a European project?

Thanks very much

Clive

Re: HELP: OpenSim Crashing

Wade Schuette
As I was pondering in my last post (I should have read ahead), "things get full" is an issue.
It sounds like Mono may have a "memory leak",  which can cause available memory to be filled and run out of space after days or weeks.   Or, if it's a Microsoft operating system,  after about an hour or so. (Reboot!)

I had a long heated argument with a headstrong (dense) administrator once when one of my systems hung up that way.  She was convinced I had "done something" because she was sure that software was not like hardware, and if it worked yesterday, it would still work today unless I had messed with it.

Read all about memory leaks here:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Memory_leak

Wade

On 2/25/12 5:36 AM, Fleep Tuque wrote:
[...]

Yes, there is a known problem with OpenSimulator 0.7.2 shutting down on Mono 2.6.x when the number of scripts pass a
certain threshold.  It's an issue with unloading them from the AppDomain.

I don't believe you actually need to worry about this problem - by the time OpenSimulator reaches this point in shutdown
everything that needs to be saved has already been saved correctly.

Upgrading to Mono 2.10.x and/or the forthcoming OpenSimulator 0.7.3 will make this crash go away.  In the former case
this is because Mono fixed the bug with unloading AppDomains and in the latter because OpenSimulator no longer bothers
to unnecessarily unload scripts if the simulator is completely shutting down anyway.

On 25/02/12 13:36, Fleep Tuque wrote:

> Hi Clive,
>
> I saw on the Mantis that there's a similar report from a while back and in the comments it looks like the issue was
> identified as a bug with Mono itself.  Why it would start appearing now is beyond my ability to guess (someone suggested
> in the thread it might have something to do with scripts), but the recommendation in the thread was to upgrade Mono.
>
> See the details at: http://opensimulator.org/mantis/view.php?id=4650
>
> Not sure if that helps!
>
> - Chris/Fleep
>
> Chris M. Collins (SL/OS: Fleep Tuque)
> Center for Simulations & Virtual Environments Research (UCSIM)
> UCIT Instructional & Research Computing
> University of Cincinnati
> 406A Zimmer Hall
> 315 College Drive
> PO BOX 210088
> Cincinnati, OH 45221-0088
> [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>
> (513) 556-3018
>
> http://ucsim.uc.edu
>
> On Sat, Feb 25, 2012 at 2:56 AM, Clive Gould <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>     Hi
>
>     We are using OpenSim 0.7.2 with Mono 2.6.7 and MySQL 5.5.12
>
>     The simulator has been running fine for some time.
>
>     It has now started crashing on shutdown. The errors are shown in the
>     attached screen shot
>
>     I am wondering if could be problem with the mono version, but why
>     should it suddenly go wrong after running fine for ages?
>
>     Can anyone suggest a fix please as this is part of a European project?
>
>     Thanks very much
>
>     Clive

http://justincc.org/blog

Re: HELP: OpenSim Crashing

cliveg
Hi everyone

Thanks for all the help and advice :)

Yes it was mono. I've just upgraded to the latest version of mono
(2.10.2) and the segmentation errors on shutdown have gone away :)

Thanks again

Clive