HUD functionality missing?

123

HUD functionality missing?

Bill Carter-2
I have a complex HUD script I'd like to bring over from SL and I am trying
to figure out what does and doesn't work. At the outset it appears that
the 'attach'
event is not  being generated when the avatar equips a HUD. Is this the
case?

See this site for a minimal example;
http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Attach

Create any object and put the script in it. Better yet, add a print
statement at the
very beginning of the attach() state to make sure you would see
something. Then
take the object into your inventory and 'wear' it . No messages are emitted.

Re: HUD functionality missing?

Charles Krinke-3
There are 24 LSL functions left in the "NotImplemented" state of the more then 330 we started with a little over a year ago.

The 24 are:

llRotTarget(), llRotTargetRemove()
llLoopSoundMaster(), llLoopSoundSlave(), llPlaySoundSlave()
llStopLookAt(), llCollisionFilter(),

 llAttachToAvatar(), llDetachFromAvatar(),

llRotLookAt(), llPointAt(), llStopPointAt(), llGodLikeRezObject(),
llPassTouches(), llSetDamage(), llTextBox(), llCollisionSprite(),
llPassCollisions(), llGetCenterOfMass(), llEdgeOfWorld(),
llSetSoundQueueing(), llTriggerSoundLimited(), llGroundRepel(),
llSetVehicleFlags(), llRemoveVehicleFlags(),
llRemoteDataSetRegion(), llSetInventoryPermMask()

It would be a great thing to see patches for some of these so we can get to the finished point on at least the first level of implementation of all the LSL functions.

Charles

Re: HUD functionality missing?

Ralf Haifisch
Yeah,

i guess with the next wave of SL refugee´s in June, the 2 best steps would
be a fully implemented LSL (even if some bugs need to be fixed) and groups
(for security/collaboration).

Cheers,
Ralf

Securing OpenSim with Sandboxie

Skidz Tweak
I just finished up an article on how to secure OpenSim server with
Sandboxie:
http://blog.skidzpartz.com/post/2009/03/28/OpenSim-Security-Part-1-Sandboxie
.aspx

I hope you all don't think that's spam, I just wanted to share something I
wrote I honestly thought you all might be interested in.

Any feedback on this subject would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Securing OpenSim with Sandboxie

James Stallings II
Skidz awesome work dude - any chance there is a 'sandboxie' for us linux phreaks?

If not, something similar could probably be done with a chroot jail. I should look into that.

Cheers
James/daTwitch/Hiro Protagonist

On Sat, Mar 28, 2009 at 7:35 PM, Skidz Tweak <[hidden email]> wrote:
I just finished up an article on how to secure OpenSim server with
Sandboxie:
http://blog.skidzpartz.com/post/2009/03/28/OpenSim-Security-Part-1-Sandboxie
.aspx

I hope you all don't think that's spam, I just wanted to share something I
wrote I honestly thought you all might be interested in.

Any feedback on this subject would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Securing OpenSim with Sandboxie

Skidz Tweak

A linux guru I am not (he says in his yoda voice)…  So not really sure… if you do figure out something like that please let me know and I will include that in part 2.

Re: Securing OpenSim with Sandboxie

Ralf Haifisch
Hey Skidz,

It´s a quite good idea to have isolated environment - at least if you
want/need to run opensim or other software in an "unclear security state" on
a non dedicated system.

I had a look into sandboxie and would maybe suggest to use a "full
virtualization".  Since Hypervisor are not suitable for many people (need to
run the virtualization on top of a operating system) and may have own
security riscs, regular emulation type virtualization works nice.

A nice opensource project is vbox from sun.  http://www.virtualbox.org/  It
comes with binaries for most linux boxes, as well as for windows.

In benchmarks compared to vmware server (not 3i), it did perform amazing
fast.  You can even swap premade system or virtual disks for diagnosis.

In any virtualization, remember to use a dedicated network interface card,
if you want to protect against denial of service etc.

So:
- great idea to make a save environment
- if you want a fast way and are not to paranoid about security or multi
platform sandboxie seems a choice
- if you look into multiplatform, or swapable virtual machines - or are more
paranoid about security I would advice vbox

I really love to see, that more and more people think about security and
production environments.

Cheers,
Ralf

Re: Securing OpenSim with Sandboxie

Skidz Tweak
Hey Ralf...

Thanks for the information, I had never heard of virtualbox before and will
defentrly check it out.

But how does virtualization provide security? Besides the fact that you can
roll back any changes made?
I currently run my sims on a esxi 3.5 server, and really I don't believe it
helps with security at all.

If a exploit was discoved in Opensim, and someone took advantage of it, with
sandboxie it would stop them from accessing anything on the computer..
but with virtualization, it would not do anything at all.

Date: Sat, 28 Mar 2009 19:35:58 -0500
From: Skidz Tweak <[hidden email]>
To: <[hidden email]>

I just finished up an article on how to secure OpenSim server with
Sandboxie:
http://blog.skidzpartz.com/post/2009/03/28/OpenSim-Security-Part-1-Sandboxie
.aspx

I hope you all don't think that's spam, I just wanted to share something I
wrote I honestly thought you all might be interested in.

Any feedback on this subject would be greatly appreciated.

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Re: Securing OpenSim with Sandboxie

Ralf Haifisch
Skidz,

You will enjoy VBOX.  I have had some years of experience with this and that
virtualization due tu prior work.

I am not too technical any more, but was quite impressed.

The problem with sandbox of the type like sandboxie is, that they have no
baseline etc. So, what they do is a best guess what is right and what is
wrong.

You could add Appamor or something like that on top, to make it a little bit
more secure.

Don´t get that wrong - those systems do actually help.

How does virtualization do the job:  it is the acceptance of calculated
risc, spoken in ISMS/risc management terms.

I have an (virtualized) operating system

I do patch it and secure it as usual.

I do NOT have data inside that is not needed for the testing inside (e.g.
opensim)

I have a maybe unsecure application on top.

So, if this system is compromised, it´s no big deal.  It´s very easy to set
up backup and recovery.
Even a denial of service would maybe crash the virtual guest, but not the
host.

If it is crashed/taken over - it is easy to get an copy for further
inspection.

If it is crashed for technical reasons, as easy for a debug copy.

If you even use a separate network interface - it is very secure.

I know a few system, that got PCI approval due to high security in a
virtualized scenario.

But - besides that:  I am very happy to see you here at the open source
front   ;-)

Cheers,
Ralf

On Sun, Mar 29, 2009 at 4:54 PM, Skidz Tweak <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hey Ralf...
>
> Thanks for the information, I had never heard of virtualbox before and
will
> defentrly check it out.
>
> But how does virtualization provide security? Besides the fact that you
can
> roll back any changes made?
> I currently run my sims on a esxi 3.5 server, and really I don't believe
it

> helps with security at all.
>
> If a exploit was discoved in Opensim, and someone took advantage of it,
> with
> sandboxie it would stop them from accessing anything on the computer..
> but with virtualization, it would not do anything at all.

Strange effekt / Avatar totaly stretched

drwhiet@spacefriends.de
Hello list ..

Friends and I are all really some kind of stretched.
We tried different sims and all that .. Anybody else
experience this ?   Lbsa plaza seems normal ..

Ist that the aprils fool joke from the developers ??

Best regards
Wordfromthe Wise
Akira Sonoda

Pictures are here :
http://www.flickr.com/photos/28957438@N04/3402171863/sizes/o/in/set-72157613
060633763/
and
http://www.flickr.com/photos/28957438@N04/3402978628/sizes/o/in/set-72157613
060633763/

Re: Strange effekt / Avatar totaly stretched

Ursula MATOVA
Same here  Stefan ...
... But remember it's April, 1st :D
Regards

Le 1 avr. 09 à 00:42, StefanL a écrit :

> Hello list ..
>
> Friends and I are all really some kind of stretched.
> We tried different sims and all that .. Anybody else
> experience this ?   Lbsa plaza seems normal ..
>

> Ist that the aprils fool joke from the developers ??
>

> Best regards
> Wordfromthe Wise
> Akira Sonoda
>
> Pictures are here :
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/28957438@N04/3402171863/sizes/o/in/set-72157613
> 060633763/
> and
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/28957438@N04/3402978628/sizes/o/in/set-72157613
> 060633763/

Re: Strange effekt / Avatar totaly stretched

John Sheridan
YES, YES!  I'm having this too!  Everything was fine last night and this
morning after upgrading to svn 8927, but this evening after logging in
all avatars are distorted in the same way.  Has anyone put this in
Mantis yet?

Ursula MATOVA wrote:

> Same here  Stefan ...
> ... But remember it's April, 1st :D
> Regards
>
> Le 1 avr. 09 à 00:42, StefanL a écrit :
>

>> Hello list ..
>>
>> Friends and I are all really some kind of stretched.
>> We tried different sims and all that .. Anybody else
>> experience this ?   Lbsa plaza seems normal ..
>>

>> Ist that the aprils fool joke from the developers ??
>>

>> Best regards
>> Wordfromthe Wise
>> Akira Sonoda
>>
>> Pictures are here :
>> http://www.flickr.com/photos/28957438@N04/3402171863/sizes/o/in/set-72157613
>> 060633763/
>> and
>> http://www.flickr.com/photos/28957438@N04/3402978628/sizes/o/in/set-72157613
>> 060633763/

Re: Strange effekt / Avatar totaly stretched

Jonathan Greenlee

It must be a date triggered "bug" in the server.  I get the effect when I use opensim 8742 now, everything was fine before with 8742, and everything is fine in a very old Opensim I still have installed on the same mac mini.
All using the same viewer.

Sent from my iPhone

Ursula MATOVA wrote:
[...]

Just to test I tried rolling back the clock on my server to the 31st
with no effect.  I'm re-updating now to today's svn.  Although I wonder
if perhaps this could be a viewer issue?  I've not yet tried with
something other then Hippo.

Jonathan Greenlee wrote:

> It must be a date triggered "bug" in the server.  I get the effect when I use opensim 8742 now, everything was fine before with 8742, and everything is fine in a very old Opensim I still have installed on the same mac mini.
> All using the same viewer.
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
> On Mar 31, 2009, at 10:06 PM, John Sheridan <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> YES, YES!  I'm having this too!  Everything was fine last night and this
> morning after upgrading to svn 8927, but this evening after logging in
> all avatars are distorted in the same way.  Has anyone put this in
> Mantis yet?
>
> Ursula MATOVA wrote:
> Same here  Stefan ...
> ... But remember it's April, 1st :D
> Regards
>
> Le 1 avr. 09 à 00:42, StefanL a écrit :
>

> Hello list ..
>
> Friends and I are all really some kind of stretched.
> We tried different sims and all that .. Anybody else
> experience this ?   Lbsa plaza seems normal ..
>

> Ist that the aprils fool joke from the developers ??
>

> Best regards
> Wordfromthe Wise
> Akira Sonoda
>
> Pictures are here :
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/28957438@N04/3402171863/sizes/o/in/set-72157613
> 060633763/
> and
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/28957438@N04/3402978628/sizes/o/in/set-72157613
> 060633763/

Re: Strange effekt / Avatar totaly stretched

John Sheridan
Well, its not the clock not unless it triggered something thats not
effected by rolling the clock back.  As well its not Hippo since the
vanilla SL viewer is doing the same thing.   Its also apparently not
fixed by updating to svn 8951.  I'll go ahead and plug this into Mantis
now. :P

John Sheridan wrote:

> Just to test I tried rolling back the clock on my server to the 31st
> with no effect.  I'm re-updating now to today's svn.  Although I wonder
> if perhaps this could be a viewer issue?  I've not yet tried with
> something other then Hippo.
>

> Jonathan Greenlee wrote:
>
>> It must be a date triggered "bug" in the server.  I get the effect when I use opensim 8742 now, everything was fine before with 8742, and everything is fine in a very old Opensim I still have installed on the same mac mini.
>> All using the same viewer.
>>
>> Sent from my iPhone
>>
>> On Mar 31, 2009, at 10:06 PM, John Sheridan <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> YES, YES!  I'm having this too!  Everything was fine last night and this
>> morning after upgrading to svn 8927, but this evening after logging in
>> all avatars are distorted in the same way.  Has anyone put this in
>> Mantis yet?
>>
>> Ursula MATOVA wrote:
>> Same here  Stefan ...
>> ... But remember it's April, 1st :D
>> Regards
>>
>> Le 1 avr. 09 à 00:42, StefanL a écrit :
>>

>> Hello list ..
>>
>> Friends and I are all really some kind of stretched.
>> We tried different sims and all that .. Anybody else
>> experience this ?   Lbsa plaza seems normal ..
>>

>> Ist that the aprils fool joke from the developers ??
>>

>> Best regards
>> Wordfromthe Wise
>> Akira Sonoda
>>
>> Pictures are here :
>> http://www.flickr.com/photos/28957438@N04/3402171863/sizes/o/in/set-72157613
>> 060633763/
>> and
>> http://www.flickr.com/photos/28957438@N04/3402978628/sizes/o/in/set-72157613
>> 060633763/

Re: Strange effekt / Avatar totaly stretched

Frisby, Adam
Yeah, I think it's the april fools joke. Blame Teravus. ;)

Adam

Sure

If I can remember, we got such things last year, with some bots
talking all around your grid/regions ...
Should be the same :)
==> Reverting to SVN.8396 ( middle February ) is ok
:)

Ursula
( I'm innocent ! )

Le 1 avr. 09 à 07:21, Frisby, Adam a écrit :

> Yeah, I think it's the april fools joke. Blame Teravus. ;)
>
> Adam

Definitively this is a joke :P

I found in the mailing-list archives the same on April 1st, 2008 :

"Boucing Avatars" ... :

The logs ( 2008/04/01 ) :

2008-04-01 22:10:44,405 INFO  -
OpenSim.Region.Environment.Modules.GroupsModule [GROUP]: Adding Only
Today936 to OpenSimulator Tester group
2008-04-01 22:10:49,529 INFO  -
OpenSim.Region.Environment.Modules.GroupsModule [GROUP]: Adding Only
Today802 to OpenSimulator Tester group
2008-04-01 22:10:54,643 INFO  -
OpenSim.Region.Environment.Modules.GroupsModule [GROUP]: Adding Only
Today618 to OpenSimulator Tester group
2008-04-01 22:10:59,674 INFO  -
OpenSim.Region.Environment.Modules.GroupsModule [GROUP]: Adding Only
Today593 to OpenSimulator Tester group
2008-04-01 22:11:04,712 INFO  -
OpenSim.Region.Environment.Modules.GroupsModule [GROUP]: Adding Only
Today364 to OpenSimulator Tester group
2008-04-01 22:11:09,754 INFO  -
OpenSim.Region.Environment.Modules.GroupsModule [GROUP]: Adding Only
Today814 to OpenSimulator Tester group
2008-04-01 22:11:14,784 INFO  -
OpenSim.Region.Environment.Modules.GroupsModule [GROUP]: Adding Only
Today938 to OpenSimulator Tester group

Michael Wright answers ( 2008/04/01 ) :

 >> yup, delete  OpenSim.Region.Examples.SimpleModule.dll from the bin
folder.
 >> Prebuild has been changed back again in revision 4062 so that dll
gets put back in its own folder, but you might still have to delete
the dll from the standard
 >> bin folder.

their cave.  <<<<<<<<<<

No time today to investigate more ( for fun ) ...

Wish you all a good day, time to go to work :)

Regards.

Le 1 avr. 09 à 07:44, Ursula MATOVA a écrit :

> Sure
>
> If I can remember, we got such things last year, with some bots
> talking all around your grid/regions ...
> Should be the same :)
> ==> Reverting to SVN.8396 ( middle February ) is ok
> :)
>
> Ursula
> ( I'm innocent ! )
>
> Le 1 avr. 09 à 07:21, Frisby, Adam a écrit :
>
>> Yeah, I think it's the april fools joke. Blame Teravus. ;)
>>
>> Adam

No, the 2008 prank was a 'l33tspeak' converter. Automatically converted chat and console output into l33tspeak.

Adam

123