HUD functionality missing?

123

Re: Strange effekt / Avatar totaly stretched

John Sheridan
"a 'l33tspeak' converter" - Now that sounds more like a feature then a
prank...

/l33t Will the person responsible for toilet papering /my office/ please
report to the Vice Principal's office?

Speaking of which, when or if ya find who's responsible send em to my
lab over on Pseudospace...  I'm working on a rather interesting little
punishment device that could use a nice, non-contorted but bad avatar as
a test subject.

Frisby, Adam wrote:

> No, the 2008 prank was a 'l33tspeak' converter. Automatically converted chat and console output into l33tspeak.
>
> Adam

Jonathan Greenlee

And when I set system date to April 3,
Everything seems back to normal.

Sent from my iPhone

Ursula MATOVA wrote:
[...]

But why April 3rd?  I set mine back to March 31 and it still did it...
Wait...  **looks**  Never mind I was wrong.  Sorry.  I'm running my grid
off of a single quad core xeon configured with Linux V-Server (similar
to Virtuozzo Paralelles) and set the date on the host.  That reset the
date on all of the partitioned servers but I just noticed that the
partition's timezones are set to UTC and not EST as the host is.  So
basically while the server itself had the correct time each of the
virtual servers that run mysql, web, ugaim, and the sims are off by
about four hours.

And on that note I quit.  I'm switching off the computer for the night,
doing the dishes, curling up with a nice non-technical book and going to
bed.

:P

Jonathan Greenlee wrote:

> And when I set system date to April 3,
> Everything seems back to normal.
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
> On Mar 31, 2009, at 10:35 PM, Jonathan Greenlee <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

> It must be a date triggered "bug" in the server.  I get the effect when I use opensim 8742 now, everything was fine before with 8742, and everything is fine in a very old Opensim I still have installed on the same mac mini.
> All using the same viewer.
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
> On Mar 31, 2009, at 10:06 PM, John Sheridan <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> YES, YES!  I'm having this too!  Everything was fine last night and this
> morning after upgrading to svn 8927, but this evening after logging in
> all avatars are distorted in the same way.  Has anyone put this in
> Mantis yet?
>
> Ursula MATOVA wrote:
> Same here  Stefan ...
> ... But remember it's April, 1st :D
> Regards
>
> Le 1 avr. 09 à 00:42, StefanL a écrit :
>

> Hello list ..
>
> Friends and I are all really some kind of stretched.
> We tried different sims and all that .. Anybody else
> experience this ?   Lbsa plaza seems normal ..
>

> Ist that the aprils fool joke from the developers ??
>

> Best regards
> Wordfromthe Wise
> Akira Sonoda
>
> Pictures are here :
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/28957438@N04/3402171863/sizes/o/in/set-72157613
> 060633763/
> and
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/28957438@N04/3402978628/sizes/o/in/set-72157613
> 060633763/

Re: Strange effekt / Avatar totaly stretched

Chris Hart
Wow, you're kidding me?

So, those of us trying to run a business promoting OpenSim to pioneering business folks and educators who are VW newbies have to cancel all appointments because of a prank? "I'm sorry, this doesn't normally happen, this is a prank"

Thanks guys - didn't need this first thing today. So what's the solution? Set all servers to April 2nd?

Anyone who knows me knows I'm easy going and enjoy having fun, but not when this affects my business, potential income, and hence my family.

Yeah, I think it's the april fools joke. Blame Teravus. ;)

Adam

Found a mantis that might help others in similar situation.

Now to waste an hour of my time patching all my servers.

So, those of us trying to run a business promoting OpenSim to pioneering business folks and educators who are VW newbies have to cancel all appointments because of a prank? "I'm sorry, this doesn't normally happen, this is a prank"

Thanks guys - didn't need this first thing today. So what's the solution? Set all servers to April 2nd?

Anyone who knows me knows I'm easy going and enjoy having fun, but not when this affects my business, potential income, and hence my family.

Yeah, I think it's the april fools joke. Blame Teravus. ;)

Adam

Chris Down
On 01/04/2009 09:12, Chris Hart wrote:
> Wow, you're kidding me?
>
> Thanks guys - didn't need this first thing today. So what's the solution? Set all servers to April 2nd?

Looks like the patch can be found here

Regards
Chris Down

Re: Strange effekt / Avatar totaly stretched

Alex Welch
Hi there Chris,

changing date on the server is working best (and fastest :-) Did this on my
sims also when users complained :-)
(Only I have to think about resetting tomorrow... )

Alex

Found a mantis that might help others in similar situation.

Now to waste an hour of my time patching all my servers.

Yeah, I think it's the april fools joke. Blame Teravus. ;)

Adam

17:56:00
13:05:00

Re: Strange effekt / Avatar totaly stretched

Skidz Tweak
This is just to funny :) I know its not for some.. but I find it
histerical!!

Re: Strange effekt / Avatar totaly stretched

mw-2
I understand that it has caused you problems and we are sorry for that but to be honest, its not a good idea to be running trunk in any production set up or for business use. Trunk is for development and can be broke at any time.

We do release "stable" tagged versions and we strongly suggest that anyone using opensim for business or production use sticks to those. They all have their problems but trunk just can't be depended on to be working/stable or anything.

The only people who should be using trunk are developers, testers and people who want to try the very lastest changes.

All the developers work very hard for nothing in return so its a small thing for some of us to put a small pank in TRUNK once a year.

Again I do understand it has caused you some problems but we offer all our work free and as I said we strongly advise people to use the tagged versions.

Yeah, I think it's the april fools joke. Blame Teravus. ;)

Adam

17:56:00

Re: Strange effekt / Avatar totaly stretched

Chris Hart

Given that 0.6.3 was not a good release (avatar appearance bugs), I was hoping to wait for 0.6.4 for ReactionGrid and for our clients. It was taking a while to tag, and I had identified a stable revision that I had put through a lot of testing and made the call based on running a significant test plan. Our database (MSSQL) was over 5Gb, the change from 0.6.2 to 0.6.4 included a major schema change that meant the longer we left updating, the longer (and harder) an update was gonna be. I made the call to update us just before Stefan tagged the release – I didn’t anticipate this particular outcome.

I will take full responsibility if there is a bug in opensim code that affects my clients that would have been prevented if I had used a stable branch, but I do actually trust you guys too – you do great work, I read every commit log (evidently not thoroughly enough) and I use my experience to make a call on whether a breaking change has been put in or not. In this situation, what would have been nice would have been a simple switch to return to normal. We saw the joke last night and yes, we fell about laughing, thinking it was a freaky occurrence on a highly-loaded sim, never for one moment realising this was going to strike all our servers today.

ReactionGrid is a young business, we’re pushing out there to find customers who are willing to go with us through the bumps, ride the fun little features, because we really do believe in the platform, even at this early stage. I didn’t start working with OpenSim til May last year, so I didn’t know this was likely to happen.

Yeah, I think it's the april fools joke. Blame Teravus. ;)

Adam

 Sheridan
<[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >>
> >> YES, YES!  I'm having this too!  Everything was fine last
night and
> this
> >> morning after upgrading to svn 8927, but this evening after
logging
> in
> >> all avatars are distorted in the same way.  Has anyone put this
in
> >> Mantis yet?
> >>
> >> Ursula MATOVA wrote:
> >> Same here  Stefan ...
> >> ... But remember it's April, 1st :D
> >> Regards
> >>
> >> Le 1 avr. 09 à 00:42, StefanL a écrit :
> >>

> >> Hello list ..
> >>
> >> Friends and I are all really some kind of stretched.
> >> We tried different sims and all that .. Anybody else
> >> experience this ?   Lbsa plaza seems normal ..
> >>

 >> Ist that the aprils fool joke from the developers ??
> >>

> >> Best regards
> >> Wordfromthe Wise
> >> Akira Sonoda
> >>
> >> Pictures are here :

http://www.flickr.com/photos/28957438@N04/3402171863/sizes/o/in/set-
> 72157613
> >> 060633763/
> >> and

http://www.flickr.com/photos/28957438@N04/3402978628/sizes/o/in/set-
> 72157613
> >> 060633763/

17:56:00

Re: Strange effekt / Avatar totaly stretched

mw-2
I can understand your point and as I said we are sorry for any problems this issue caused.

But its just that comments like "Now to waste an hour of my time patching all my servers." that just make me wonder why "I have wasted all those thousands of hours working on opensim and doing all that work for free". When what we get in return is people moaning about spending a hour on something.

I'm just talking from a personal point of view here (and in no way represent the thoughts of the other developers), but its just makes me more and more wonder why we do this.

BTW: Just so people know, I believe the 0.6.4RC that Stefan tagged also has this issue in it, but then thats most likely why its a RC and not a stable release.

Given that 0.6.3 was not a good release (avatar appearance bugs), I was hoping to wait for 0.6.4 for ReactionGrid and for our clients. It was taking a while to tag, and I had identified a stable revision that I had put through a lot of testing and made the call based on running a significant test plan. Our database (MSSQL) was over 5Gb, the change from 0.6.2 to 0.6.4 included a major schema change that meant the longer we left updating, the longer (and harder) an update was gonna be. I made the call to update us just before Stefan tagged the release – I didn’t anticipate this particular outcome.

I will take full responsibility if there is a bug in opensim code that affects my clients that would have been prevented if I had used a stable branch, but I do actually trust you guys too – you do great work, I read every commit log (evidently not thoroughly enough) and I use my experience to make a call on whether a breaking change has been put in or not. In this situation, what would have been nice would have been a simple switch to return to normal. We saw the joke last night and yes, we fell about laughing, thinking it was a freaky occurrence on a highly-loaded sim, never for one moment realising this was going to strike all our servers today.

ReactionGrid is a young business, we’re pushing out there to find customers who are willing to go with us through the bumps, ride the fun little features, because we really do believe in the platform, even at this early stage. I didn’t start working with OpenSim til May last year, so I didn’t know this was likely to happen.

Yeah, I think it's the april fools joke. Blame Teravus. ;)

Adam

 Sheridan

<[hidden email]>

> wrote:

> >> YES, YES!  I'm having this too!  Everything was fine last

night and

> this

> >> morning after upgrading to svn 8927, but this evening after

logging

> in

> >> all avatars are distorted in the same way.  Has anyone put this

in

> >> Mantis yet?

> >> Ursula MATOVA wrote:

> >> Same here  Stefan ...

> >> ... But remember it's April, 1st :D

> >> Regards

> >> Le 1 avr. 09 à 00:42, StefanL a écrit :

> >> Hello list ..

> >> Friends and I are all really some kind of stretched.

> >> We tried different sims and all that .. Anybody else

> >> experience this ?   Lbsa plaza seems normal ..

 >> Ist that the aprils fool joke from the developers ??

> >> Best regards

> >> Wordfromthe Wise

> >> Akira Sonoda

> >> Pictures are here :

http://www.flickr.com/photos/28957438@N04/3402171863/sizes/o/in/set-

> 72157613

> >> 060633763/

> >> and

http://www.flickr.com/photos/28957438@N04/3402978628/sizes/o/in/set-

> 72157613

> >> 060633763/

17:56:00

Re: Strange effekt / Avatar totaly stretched

Frank W Sweet
Not to put too fine a point on it, but this "prank" was so grossly
unprofessional that it has prompted a debate within Backintyme
Publishing as to whether we should simply abandon Opensim entirely and
go with a commercial product instead. If the prankster wanted to
demolish Opensim's credibility in the real world, I cannot think of a
more effective method of doing so. "Sorry" is inadequate. If Opensim
hopes to be taken seriously, such deliberate vandalism by a developer
must never be allowed to happen again.

FWS

  From: Chris Hart
  <[hidden email]>

  Subject: Re: [Opensim-users] Strange effekt / Avatar totaly
stretched

  To: [hidden email]

Yeah, I think it's the april fools joke. Blame Teravus. ;)

Adam

03/30/09

17:56:00

No virus
found in this incoming message.

03/31/09
13:05:00

Re: Strange effekt / Avatar totaly stretched

Sean Dague-2
Frisby, Adam wrote:
> No, the 2008 prank was a 'l33tspeak' converter. Automatically converted chat and console output into l33tspeak.

It was both.  I had to revert the l33tspeak converter early though,
because the regex used would crash mono (l33t is funny, crash isn't). :)

I think the "get off my lawn guy" stayed for most of the day.

        -Sean

--
Sean Dague / Neas Bade
[hidden email]

Given that 0.6.3 was not a good release (avatar appearance bugs), I was hoping to wait for 0.6.4 for ReactionGrid and for our clients. It was taking a while to tag, and I had identified a stable revision that I had put through a lot of testing and made the call based on running a significant test plan. Our database (MSSQL) was over 5Gb, the change from 0.6.2 to 0.6.4 included a major schema change that meant the longer we left updating, the longer (and harder) an update was gonna be. I made the call to update us just before Stefan tagged the release – I didn’t anticipate this particular outcome.

I will take full responsibility if there is a bug in opensim code that affects my clients that would have been prevented if I had used a stable branch, but I do actually trust you guys too – you do great work, I read every commit log (evidently not thoroughly enough) and I use my experience to make a call on whether a breaking change has been put in or not. In this situation, what would have been nice would have been a simple switch to return to normal. We saw the joke last night and yes, we fell about laughing, thinking it was a freaky occurrence on a highly-loaded sim, never for one moment realising this was going to strike all our servers today.

ReactionGrid is a young business, we’re pushing out there to find customers who are willing to go with us through the bumps, ride the fun little features, because we really do believe in the platform, even at this early stage. I didn’t start working with OpenSim til May last year, so I didn’t know this was likely to happen.

Yeah, I think it's the april fools joke. Blame Teravus. ;)

Adam

 Sheridan

<[hidden email]>

> wrote:

> >> YES, YES!  I'm having this too!  Everything was fine last

night and

> this

> >> morning after upgrading to svn 8927, but this evening after

logging

> in

> >> all avatars are distorted in the same way.  Has anyone put this

in

> >> Mantis yet?

> >> Ursula MATOVA wrote:

> >> Same here  Stefan ...

> >> ... But remember it's April, 1st :D

> >> Regards

> >> Le 1 avr. 09 à 00:42, StefanL a écrit :

> >> Hello list ..

> >> Friends and I are all really some kind of stretched.

> >> We tried different sims and all that .. Anybody else

> >> experience this ?   Lbsa plaza seems normal ..

 >> Ist that the aprils fool joke from the developers ??

> >> Best regards

> >> Wordfromthe Wise

> >> Akira Sonoda

> >> Pictures are here :

http://www.flickr.com/photos/28957438@N04/3402171863/sizes/o/in/set-

> 72157613

> >> 060633763/

> >> and

http://www.flickr.com/photos/28957438@N04/3402978628/sizes/o/in/set-

> 72157613

> >> 060633763/

17:56:00

http://K-grid.com
Just be cause it's Kool

Frank W Sweet wrote:
> Not to put too fine a point on it, but this "prank" was so grossly
> unprofessional that it has prompted a debate within Backintyme
> Publishing as to whether we should simply abandon Opensim entirely and
> go with a commercial product instead. If the prankster wanted to
> demolish Opensim's credibility in the real world, I cannot think of a
> more effective method of doing so. "Sorry" is inadequate. If Opensim
> hopes to be taken seriously, such deliberate vandalism by a developer
> must never be allowed to happen again.

Man, the self righteousness is pretty crazy high.  Stuff breaks all the
time in trunk, and acts weirdly.  This April 1 piece of code breaks
nothing, and is not permanent, and isn't in a "stable release".

The entire core team was aware of this change, and was fine with it.
Having fun is part of being part of an emerging community.  If one day
of being a stick bug because you were running on the unstable branch and
not looking through changesets makes you decide on a different platform,
so be it. :)

        -Sean

--
Sean Dague / Neas Bade
[hidden email]

Re: Strange effekt / Avatar totaly stretched

Kyle Hamilton
Let's see...

Qualcomm released a video stating that they're creating the
wolfpigeon, the sharkfalcon, and the crocodeagle.
Google's running a story that they've created a way for your computer
to automatically answer your emails based on bayesian filtering and
your standard response patterns.
Wired is running a story that Twitter's creating a device based on an
old 2-way pager design from Motorola, to make its business model
visible and viable.

Compared to these announcements, OpenSim is... distorting the avatar.
(Honestly, I would have expected OpenSim to actually start distorting
prims in the region, causing them to 'breathe'.)

No matter what you try to do, even the commercial products are going
to have this level of easter egg around April 1.  Commercial companies
are starting to take April 1 'seriously' -- as in 'serious pranks'.

To be honest, I've been told that playing golf with someone shows a
lot about how the people do business.  If someone is calm and relaxed
even when they make a bad shot, they're probably going to be calm and
relaxed if a hiccup happens (as they inevitably do) if you're doing
business with them.  If someone's so uptight and competitive that they
demand perfection from themselves, and throw a tantrum when they don't
meet their own expectations, then they're likely going to be
unpleasant to do business with.

So please, by all means, find a commercial product.  Your response
suggests that you're not someone that I'd want to do business with,
anyway.

-Kyle H

Dave Coyle
On 2009-04-01 07:27:23 -0400, [hidden email] wrote:
> Not to put too fine a point on it, but this "prank" was so grossly
> unprofessional that it has prompted a debate within Backintyme
> Publishing as to whether we should simply abandon Opensim entirely and
> go with a commercial product instead.

At the top of opensimulator.org it says "OpenSimulator is still
considered alpha software".  Don't run businesses from a development
repository for self-admitted alpha-quality software without being
prepared to ride a bumpy road.  This doesn't happen in 0.6.3.

-Coyle

FWIW, those using my .deb packages can just 'apt-get update; apt-get
upgrade' and restart to make the stick business go away.

Re: Strange effekt / Avatar totaly stretched

Ursula MATOVA
Totaly agree Michael,

It's ok, OpenSim is still in alpha stage ...
... So, people contributing to this marvelous software are working very
hard ...
... For me, that king of joke is ok ... it's funny :)
People that want to make business with opensim MUST wait a  bit for a
"Beta"/"Production" release ...
Specially because all people in the OpenSim community are working for free !

Regards.

PS: The only thing I'd like to know is "who" did that joke :) (( just to
take counter measure next year ... LOL ))

MW a écrit :

> I can understand your point and as I said we are sorry for any
> problems this issue caused.
>
> But its just that comments like "Now to waste an hour of my time
> patching all my servers." that just make me wonder why "I have wasted
> all those thousands of hours working on opensim and doing all that
> work for free". When what we get in return is people moaning about
> spending a hour on something.
>
> I'm just talking from a personal point of view here (and in no way
> represent the thoughts of the other developers), but its just makes me
> more and more wonder why we do this.
>
> BTW: Just so people know, I believe the 0.6.4RC that Stefan tagged
> also has this issue in it, but then thats most likely why its a RC and
> not a stable release.

Frisby, Adam
Diverting from the topic at hand - I would like to strongly point this out. Please, please, PLEASE use a release, or a postfixes branch if you are running OpenSim in a semi-production or production environment.

While this was a prank, sooner or later, we're going to have something like a full blown exploit, or DB crashing bug, or similar. You are a lot safer in a somewhat tested and confirmed stable branch than you are on trunk.

Trunk is very much an 'at risk' environment, and people putting OpenSim into production need to be aware of this fact. If nothing else, this prank has given the opportunity to highlight the importance of sticking to a tagged release for production work.

Adam

+1 to those comments.

We also can develope a lot faster and easier if we know that trunk is being used as it should be. As a place to do development, knowing that sometimes what we do will cause new problems rather than fix older problems in opensim.

Trunk isn't a daily release system for people wanting stable versions. Its great that lots of people run it to help test and debug opensim. But it shouldn't be used when people don't want to take all the risks that come with it.

wrote:

> > From: Chris Hart <[hidden email]>
> > Subject: Re: [Opensim-users] Strange effekt / Avatar totaly
> stretched
> > To: [hidden email], [hidden email]
> > Date: Wednesday, 1 April, 2009, 11:46 AM
> >
> > Given that 0.6.3 was not a good release (avatar appearance
bugs),

> > I was hoping to wait for 0.6.4 for ReactionGrid and for our
> > clients. It was taking a while to tag, and I had identified a
> > stable revision that I had put through a lot of testing and made
> > the call based on running a significant test plan. Our database
> > (MSSQL) was over 5Gb, the change from 0.6.2 to 0.6.4 included a
> > major schema change that meant the longer we left updating, the
> > longer (and harder) an update was gonna be. I made the call to
> > update us just before Stefan tagged the release – I didn’t
> > anticipate this particular outcome.
> >

> > I will take full responsibility if there is a bug in opensim
code
> > that affects my clients that would have been prevented if I had
> > used a stable branch, but I do actually trust you guys too –
you
> > do great work, I read every commit log (evidently not thoroughly
> > enough) and I use my experience to make a call on whether a
> > breaking change has been put in or not. In this situation, what
> > would have been nice would have been a simple switch to return
> > normal. We saw the joke last night and yes, we fell about
> > laughing, thinking it was a freaky occurrence on a highly-loaded
> > sim, never for one moment realising this was going to strike all
> > our servers today.
> >

> > ReactionGrid is a young business, we’re pushing out there to
find
> > customers who are willing to go with us through the bumps, ride
> > the fun little features, because we really do believe in the
> > platform, even at this early stage. I didn’t start working
with
> > OpenSim til May last year, so I didn’t know this was likely to
> > happen.

/<[hidden email]>/*

> wrote:
> >
> > From: Chris Hart <[hidden email]>
> > Subject: Re: [Opensim-users] Strange effekt / Avatar totaly
> stretched
> > To: [hidden email]
> > Date: Wednesday, 1 April, 2009, 9:12 AM
> >
> > Wow, you're kidding me?
> >

> > So, those of us trying to run a business promoting OpenSim to
> pioneering
> >
> > business folks and educators who are VW newbies have to cancel
> all appointments
> >
> > because of a prank? "I'm sorry, this doesn't
normally happen,
> this
> >
> > is a prank"
> >

> > Thanks guys - didn't need this first thing today. So
what's the

> > solution? Set all servers to April 2nd?
> >

> > Anyone who knows me knows I'm easy going and enjoy having
fun,

> but not when
> >
> > this affects my business, potential income, and hence my
> >
> > family.

[mailto:opensim-

> users-
> >
> > > [hidden email]] On Behalf Of John Sheridan
> >
> > > Sent: Tuesday, 31 March 2009 9:07 PM
> >
> > > To: [hidden email]
> >
> > > Subject: Re: [Opensim-users] Strange effekt / Avatar totaly
> stretched
> >

> > > Well, its not the clock not unless it triggered something
thats

> not
> >
> > > effected by rolling the clock back. As well its not Hippo
> since the
> >
> > > vanilla SL viewer is doing the same thing. Its also
> >
> > apparently not
> >
> > > fixed by updating to svn 8951. I'll go ahead and plug
this

> into
> >
> > Mantis
> >
> > > now. :P

> > my server to the 31st

svn.

> > Although I
> >
> > > wonder

yet tried

> with

server. I get

> > the effect
> >
> > > when I use opensim 8742 now, everything was fine before
with
> 8742, and
> >
> > > everything is fine in a very old Opensim I still have
installed

> on the
> >
> > > same mac mini.

> > Sheridan
> >
> > <[hidden email]>

> > YES! I'm having this too! Everything was fine last
> >
> > night and
> >
> > > this

evening after

> > logging