HUD functionality missing?

123

Re: Strange effekt / Avatar totaly stretched

Frank W Sweet
Dave Coyle wrote: At the top of opensimulator.org it says
"OpenSimulator is still considered alpha software".  Don't run
businesses from a development repository for self-admitted
alpha-quality software without being prepared to ride a bumpy road.
This doesn't happen in 0.6.3.

Adam Frisby wrote: While this was a prank, sooner or later, we're
going to have something like a full blown exploit, or DB crashing bug,
or similar. You are a lot safer in a somewhat tested and confirmed
stable branch than you are on trunk.Trunk is very much an 'at risk'
environment, and people putting OpenSim into production need to be
aware of this fact. If nothing else, this prank has given the
opportunity to highlight the importance of sticking to a tagged
release for production work.

MW wrote: We also can develope a lot faster and easier if we know that
trunk is being used as it should be. As a place to do development,
knowing that sometimes what we do will cause new problems rather than
fix older problems in opensim. Trunk isn't a daily release system for
people wanting stable versions. Its great that lots of people run it
to help test and debug opensim. But it shouldn't be used when people
don't want to take all the risks that come with it.

Gentlemen, you are utterly missing the point. When we decided to try
out Opensim (trunk, bleeding edge) it was in the hope that our usage
might help uncover problems. We made this decision with the full and
concious knowledge that trunk could break due to: (1) unanticipated
interaction among modules, (2) simultaneous incompatible changes to
different modules (3) well-intentioned changes that break something,
or (4) programmer carelessness, fatigue, sleeplessness, whatever. For
each of these contingencies we have procedures in place. We can (and
often do) fall back to prior releases within minutes.

But we did not and cannot anticipate deliberate vandalism by a trusted
developer. Reverting to prior releases cannot work in such cases
because the time-bomb might have been planted weeks, months, even
years ago.

I understand that some of you kind and dedicated folks simply cannot
grasp the difference between accidental (and revertable) breakage on
the one hand, and a deliberately planted (and unrevertable) time-bomb
on the other. If most of Opensim's developers also cannot grasp this
difference, then I assure you that the project is doomed in the real
world.

FWS

Re: Strange effekt / Avatar totaly stretched

Sacha Magne
You Missed one point too:

Did you paid any developpers ?
Did you ever thanks them for all the hours spending coding ?

Think about that first before having any attitudes.

SM

On Wed, Apr 1, 2009 at 3:45 PM, Frank W Sweet <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

http://K-grid.com
Just be cause it's Kool

Frank W Sweet wrote:

> Dave Coyle wrote: At the top of opensimulator.org it says
> "OpenSimulator is still considered alpha software".  Don't run
> businesses from a development repository for self-admitted
> alpha-quality software without being prepared to ride a bumpy road.
> This doesn't happen in 0.6.3.
>
> Adam Frisby wrote: While this was a prank, sooner or later, we're
> going to have something like a full blown exploit, or DB crashing bug,
> or similar. You are a lot safer in a somewhat tested and confirmed
> stable branch than you are on trunk.Trunk is very much an 'at risk'
> environment, and people putting OpenSim into production need to be
> aware of this fact. If nothing else, this prank has given the
> opportunity to highlight the importance of sticking to a tagged
> release for production work.
>
> MW wrote: We also can develope a lot faster and easier if we know that
> trunk is being used as it should be. As a place to do development,
> knowing that sometimes what we do will cause new problems rather than
> fix older problems in opensim. Trunk isn't a daily release system for
> people wanting stable versions. Its great that lots of people run it
> to help test and debug opensim. But it shouldn't be used when people
> don't want to take all the risks that come with it.
>
> Gentlemen, you are utterly missing the point. When we decided to try
> out Opensim (trunk, bleeding edge) it was in the hope that our usage
> might help uncover problems. We made this decision with the full and
> concious knowledge that trunk could break due to: (1) unanticipated
> interaction among modules, (2) simultaneous incompatible changes to
> different modules (3) well-intentioned changes that break something,
> or (4) programmer carelessness, fatigue, sleeplessness, whatever. For
> each of these contingencies we have procedures in place. We can (and
> often do) fall back to prior releases within minutes.
>
> But we did not and cannot anticipate deliberate vandalism by a trusted
> developer. Reverting to prior releases cannot work in such cases
> because the time-bomb might have been planted weeks, months, even
> years ago.

Frank, this really isn't 'deliberate vandalism', it's a fun April Fool's joke.  If one is following closely trunk then
one has to be prepared for this kind of thing, which will only last one day and has a patch in

http://www.linkedin.com/e/avn/30232980/744527/EML_anet_nws_title-cThOon0JumNFomgJt7dBpSBA/

by which it can be readily reverted.

The 'time-bomb' itself was planted only two and a half weeks ago and I have no doubt that it would not have been done
any earlier (let alone months or years earlier) due to the risk that it might slip into a release or release candidate.
  The fact that it may have got into a 0.6.4 RC is unfortunate so maybe the time period before 'detonation' should be a
bit shorter.

> I understand that some of you kind and dedicated folks simply cannot
> grasp the difference between accidental (and revertable) breakage on
> the one hand, and a deliberately planted (and unrevertable) time-bomb
> on the other. If most of Opensim's developers also cannot grasp this
> difference, then I assure you that the project is doomed in the real
> world.

With all due respect, the project is much more likely to be doomed in the real world if we can't find developers to work
on it.  And many of those who contribute the most are doing it out of sheer altruism.  We all need to have some fun and
a nice joke now and again.

Justin Clark-Casey
http://justincc.wordpress.com

Re: Strange effekt / Avatar totaly stretched

This is a very funny joke - I love the long tentacled avatars.

However, I can appreciate your frustration, Chris.  I think that it's unfortunate that 0.6.3 suffers from an avatar
appearance regression that hasn't been addressed.  That's not to disrespect the efforts of Charles, Stefan and other
folk who manage the releases.  They do a fine job, though I think the would also agree that our releases are still more
or less finger in the air, does this seem stable? affairs (though perhaps Stefan is trying to change this by doing
release candidates).

To some extent I think it's a manpower problem.  Until there is a really great desire for stable releases as opposed to
trunk snapshots, then the effort won't go in to assuring this.

Having said that, I think that it's unfortunate if some fun code crept into a 0.6.4 release candidate - perhaps it
should be put in a little nearer April 1.

MW wrote:

> I can understand your point and as I said we are sorry for any problems
> this issue caused.
>
> But its just that comments like "Now to waste an hour of my time
> patching all my servers." that just make me wonder why "I have wasted
> all those thousands of hours working on opensim and doing all that work
> for free". When what we get in return is people moaning about spending a
> hour on something.
>
> I'm just talking from a personal point of view here (and in no way
> represent the thoughts of the other developers), but its just makes me
> more and more wonder why we do this.
>
> BTW: Just so people know, I believe the 0.6.4RC that Stefan tagged also
> has this issue in it, but then thats most likely why its a RC and not a
> stable release.

Ursula MATOVA
Anyway, was funny ...

I'm anxious to see what will happen next year in the same period ...
This joke was inventive and well prepared. So "bravo" to the person who
has implemented it for over a month without being seen.

And at least, thanks again to the whole developers spending their time
for OpenSim.

Dave Coyle
On 2009-04-01 09:45:13 -0400, [hidden email] wrote:
> But we did not and cannot anticipate deliberate vandalism by a trusted
> developer.

Setting aside that I disagree with your characterization of this as
"vandalism", I'm not a developer on this project and I knew some April
1st funny business was coming for months, as did others.  There was
chatter about it on #opensim as far back as January, if not earlier,
plus there were similar pranks last year.  Your web site says you're
based in FL, so I'm assuming your servers are in the U.S.... last
night (your time) there were a number of people in #osgrid and
#opensim seeing the prank, having a laugh, then showing others how to
patch to make it go away and move on.  If this caught you off-guard
and you couldn't patch and move on, then you shouldn't be running
trunk and should instead stick with tagged releases.

-Coyle

On 2009-04-01 10:26:25 -0400, [hidden email] wrote:
> And at least, thanks again to the whole developers spending their time
> for OpenSim.

Yes, thanks.

-Coyle

Ursula MATOVA wrote:

> Anyway, was funny ...
>
> I'm anxious to see what will happen next year in the same period ...
> This joke was inventive and well prepared. So "bravo" to the person who
> has implemented it for over a month without being seen.
>
> And at least, thanks again to the whole developers spending their time
> for OpenSim.
>
> Justin Clark-Casey a écrit :
>> Frank W Sweet wrote:
>>
>>> Dave Coyle wrote: At the top of opensimulator.org it says
>>> "OpenSimulator is still considered alpha software".  Don't run
>>> businesses from a development repository for self-admitted
>>> alpha-quality software without being prepared to ride a bumpy road.
>>> This doesn't happen in 0.6.3.
>>>
>>> Adam Frisby wrote: While this was a prank, sooner or later, we're
>>> going to have something like a full blown exploit, or DB crashing bug,
>>> or similar. You are a lot safer in a somewhat tested and confirmed
>>> stable branch than you are on trunk.Trunk is very much an 'at risk'
>>> environment, and people putting OpenSim into production need to be
>>> aware of this fact. If nothing else, this prank has given the
>>> opportunity to highlight the importance of sticking to a tagged
>>> release for production work.
>>>
>>> MW wrote: We also can develope a lot faster and easier if we know that
>>> trunk is being used as it should be. As a place to do development,
>>> knowing that sometimes what we do will cause new problems rather than
>>> fix older problems in opensim. Trunk isn't a daily release system for
>>> people wanting stable versions. Its great that lots of people run it
>>> to help test and debug opensim. But it shouldn't be used when people
>>> don't want to take all the risks that come with it.
>>>
>>> Gentlemen, you are utterly missing the point. When we decided to try
>>> out Opensim (trunk, bleeding edge) it was in the hope that our usage
>>> might help uncover problems. We made this decision with the full and
>>> concious knowledge that trunk could break due to: (1) unanticipated
>>> interaction among modules, (2) simultaneous incompatible changes to
>>> different modules (3) well-intentioned changes that break something,
>>> or (4) programmer carelessness, fatigue, sleeplessness, whatever. For
>>> each of these contingencies we have procedures in place. We can (and
>>> often do) fall back to prior releases within minutes.
>>>
>>> But we did not and cannot anticipate deliberate vandalism by a trusted
>>> developer. Reverting to prior releases cannot work in such cases
>>> because the time-bomb might have been planted weeks, months, even
>>> years ago.
>>>
>> Frank, this really isn't 'deliberate vandalism', it's a fun April Fool's joke.  If one is following closely trunk then
>> one has to be prepared for this kind of thing, which will only last one day and has a patch in
>>
>> http://www.linkedin.com/e/avn/30232980/744527/EML_anet_nws_title-cThOon0JumNFomgJt7dBpSBA/

Hmm, my copy and paste skills need brushing up, I meant

(though I'm sure that link is fairly well known by now).

>> by which it can be readily reverted.
>>
>> The 'time-bomb' itself was planted only two and a half weeks ago and I have no doubt that it would not have been done
>> any earlier (let alone months or years earlier) due to the risk that it might slip into a release or release candidate.
>>   The fact that it may have got into a 0.6.4 RC is unfortunate so maybe the time period before 'detonation' should be a
>> bit shorter.
>>

>>> I understand that some of you kind and dedicated folks simply cannot
>>> grasp the difference between accidental (and revertable) breakage on
>>> the one hand, and a deliberately planted (and unrevertable) time-bomb
>>> on the other. If most of Opensim's developers also cannot grasp this
>>> difference, then I assure you that the project is doomed in the real
>>> world.
>>>
>> With all due respect, the project is much more likely to be doomed in the real world if we can't find developers to work
>> on it.  And many of those who contribute the most are doing it out of sheer altruism.  We all need to have some fun and
>> a nice joke now and again.

Justin Clark-Casey
http://justincc.wordpress.com

Re: Strange effekt / Avatar totaly stretched

mw-2
It is unfortunate that this might have got into the 0.6.4RC but then again even RC's are not meant for production use. They are meant for people who want to test things and take all the risks that involves. Now it it had of got into a stable or post fixes tag then that would have been bad.

If this was something unreversable or did lasting damage/changes then it would be different matter completely, but its simple a small change to the look of people's avatars (it doesn't even actually change anything about your avatar, its just a animation that they are playing). And its only active for one day  and there is a patch to turn it off straight away.

Maybe if some of these people who are moaning so much, helped with the release system rather than crying out that their hour or whatever wasted is more valuable than all the thousands of hours the developers have put in. Then we would have more regular releases.

And maybe the next time one of these people, reports a problem/bug that is effecting their business/clients experience, then rather than fix it we should all just say "but that would be a waste of our time as it doesn't effect what we are doing".

As Justin said, most of the developers do this because they enjoy it, they don't get anything out of providing their work freely to everyone.

wrote:

> From: Chris Hart <[hidden email]>
> Subject: Re: [Opensim-users] Strange effekt / Avatar totaly stretched
> To: [hidden email]
> Date: Wednesday, 1 April, 2009, 9:12 AM
>
> Wow, you're kidding me?
>

> So, those of us trying to run a business promoting OpenSim to
pioneering

> business folks and educators who are VW newbies have to cancel all
appointments

> because of a prank? "I'm sorry, this doesn't normally
happen, this

> is a prank"
>

> Thanks guys - didn't need this first thing today. So what's
the

> solution? Set all servers to April 2nd?
>

> Anyone who knows me knows I'm easy going and enjoy having fun, but
not when

> this affects my business, potential income, and hence my
>
> family.

Charles Krinke-3
I think it is important to remember that having a sense of humor is a necessary condition to working in opensource development. I see nothing wrong and a lot of good from an April Fool's joke once a year.

As has been said by others, any folks that need more stability are encouraged to work with the tagged revisions.

As we move forward, it will always be a delicate dance to keep trunk working and development continuing. Many software projects bog down at this point to the point of paralysis as new development cannot continue without the fear of breaking trunk.

In OpenSim, we strive to keep trunk operational and we all benefit from the collaboration between developers and testers.

So, lets move forward in good spirits and keep enjoying this wonderful creation called "OpenSim".

Charles

Re: Strange effekt / Avatar totaly stretched

mw-2
Okay I've been informed that the 0.6.4RC doesn't have this "feature" in it.

Sent: Tuesday, 31 March 2009 9:07 PM

> > To: [hidden email]
>
> > Subject: Re: [Opensim-users] Strange effekt / Avatar totaly
stretched

> > Well, its not the clock not unless it triggered something thats
not

> > effected by rolling the clock back. As well its not Hippo since
the

> > vanilla SL viewer is doing the same thing. Its also
>
> apparently not
>
> > fixed by updating to svn 8951. I'll go ahead and plug this
into

> Mantis
>
> > now. :P
>

> > John Sheridan wrote:
>
> > > Just to test I tried rolling back the clock on
> my server to the 31st
>
> > > with no effect. I'm re-updating now to today's
svn.

> Although I
>
> > wonder
>
> > > if perhaps this could be a viewer issue? I've not yet
tried with

> > > something other then Hippo.

server. I get

> the effect
>
> > when I use opensim 8742 now, everything was fine before with
8742, and

> > everything is fine in a very old Opensim I still have installed
on the

> > same mac mini.

>> On Mar 31, 2009, at 10:06 PM, John

> Sheridan
>
> <[hidden email]>

> YES! I'm having this too! Everything was fine last
>
> night and
>
> > this

> logging
>
> > in

put this

> in

> >> Ist that the aprils fool joke from the developers ??

> http://www.flickr.com/photos/28957438@N04/3402171863/sizes/o/in/set-
>
> > 72157613

> http://www.flickr.com/photos/28957438@N04/3402978628/sizes/o/in/set-
>
> > 72157613

> 03/30/09
>
> 17:56:00

> No virus found in this incoming
message.

> 03/31/09 13:05:00

Justin Clark-Casey
http://justincc.wordpress.com

Re: Strange effekt / Avatar totaly stretched

Chris Hart
It's a marvellous effect, and we did have a laugh about it last night while doing a tour with a potential client (discovered the server we were on at the time was set to the wrong timezone, hence the early appearance). But it wasn't just stick avatars, several folks Hippos crashed out.

There's a bit of an issue that I don't believe many core testers use MSSQL, hence I can't trust that what one person tags as stable will be stable for me. 0.6.1 required an additional patch for MSSQL because there were fundamental core changes that had happened between 0.6.0 and 0.6.1. Since having experienced that problem (before we formally launched our grid) I’ve run with my own tests and procedures. I've got a big test plan and did two weeks of testing before upgrading. I like using MSSQL, it's what I'm familiar with, I'm not switching, I believe it's a great platform for OpenSim (as proved by ReactionGrid now over 100 regions), and I want to help improve it.

This is the first Open Source project I've ever worked with, and I didn't start looking at it til May last year - I had no clue that this was coming and was caught very much off-guard this morning. Seriously, I'd woken up thinking how glad I was that I didn't have to reboot all the servers every morning since the upgrade, relaxed that I could reclaim an extra 20-30 mins a day from that improvement alone, and that's all thanks to the great stuff you guys have been doing. I'm very sorry if I have offended anyone with my response. It didn't take a massive amount of time to fix, a couple of hours before most Gridizens woke up, and I am very grateful for Teravus's help over IRC in getting a patch together that worked on rev 8831. Yes, I should have stuck to the RC, but I saw some great bug fixes going into trunk in the week after that initial tag was made that made the whole idea of upgrading a teeny bit further quite appealing. And again I speak in my own defence - I did test, test, and test again and I can say that apart from this "feature", 8831 is working out really well for us! I would rather not be so far off trunk that our grid can be of little help to the main OpenSim development process. One example is the Sloodle to OpenSim port that has been worked on in both OSGrid and ReactionGrid. We at ReactionGrid want to be part of those sorts of projects that directly lead to core code improvements if possible, and are willing to shoulder some risk in order to help with that.

MW wrote:

> I can understand your point and as I said we are sorry for any problems
> this issue caused.
>
> But its just that comments like "Now to waste an hour of my time
> patching all my servers." that just make me wonder why "I have wasted
> all those thousands of hours working on opensim and doing all that work
> for free". When what we get in return is people moaning about spending a
> hour on something.
>
> I'm just talking from a personal point of view here (and in no way
> represent the thoughts of the other developers), but its just makes me
> more and more wonder why we do this.
>
> BTW: Just so people know, I believe the 0.6.4RC that Stefan tagged also
> has this issue in it, but then thats most likely why its a RC and not a
> stable release.

Not trying to keep this whole thing dragging on. But if this did crash hippo viewers than something good has came out of it as we have discovered a bug, either in hippo viewer or in opensim's animation generating code. Because all this does is plays a animation on the avatars.

MW wrote:
> I can understand your point and as I said we are sorry for any problems
> this issue caused.
>
> But its just that comments like "Now to waste an hour of my time
> patching all my servers." that just make me wonder why "I have
wasted
> all those thousands of hours working on opensim and doing all that work
> for free". When what we get in return is people moaning about
spending a

> hour on something.
>
> I'm just talking from a personal point of view here (and in no way
> represent the thoughts of the other developers), but its just makes me
> more and more wonder why we do this.
>
> BTW: Just so people know, I believe the 0.6.4RC that Stefan tagged also
> has this issue in it, but then thats most likely why its a RC and not a
> stable release.

Kyle Hamilton
So... shall we call this an ACID test, akin to the ACID and ACID2 CSS
rendering tests? ;)

-Kyle H

On Wed, Apr 1, 2009 at 9:03 AM, MW <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Not trying to keep this whole thing dragging on. But if this did crash hippo
> viewers than something good has came out of it as we have discovered a bug,
> either in hippo viewer or in opensim's animation generating code. Because
> all this does is plays a animation on the avatars.

Mic Bowman
I admit that the april fools joke has inspired me... I DESPERATELY
want a stick bug avatar with six animated legs and three separately
controlled body segments and multiple independently controlled eyes.
That would be such a hit at the next big corporate meeting we have in
world. It brings new meaning to being a "fly on the wall" in a
meeting.

:-)

--mic

Re: Strange effekt / Avatar totaly stretched

Sean Hennessee
MW wrote:
Not trying to keep this whole thing dragging on. But if this did crash hippo viewers than something good has came out of it as we have discovered a bug, either in hippo viewer or in opensim's animation generating code. Because all this does is plays a animation on the avatars.
This may be a bug. I had the hippo viewer crash several times for no apparent reason while ensuring some newly created avatars were setup correctly on UCIGrid. They were brand new 'ruth' avatars on one of our hypergrid islands. I'll try to test this more fully tonight after work, (GMT-8).
Peace,
Sean
PS. Going into appearance mode and focusing on your face or hair was interesting!
--

Sean Hennessee
Central Computing Support

... . .- -. /  .... . -. -. . ... ... . .

Re: Strange effekt / Avatar totaly stretched

drwhiet@spacefriends.de
As i (think) was the first one to discover that "prank"
and thought its an bug, I was really surprised and pleased
with that nice thread we had today on the developer list.

again it was really funny i first though yesterday i know
this looks like the deformer prank prim from SL. But as i had
it after starting up a newly build for my sims at home (after
Reinstalling my EEEPC that handles those sims) and the
WORLD / STOP ALL ANIMATIONS function in the viewer did not
worked i reported it here.

Nice one, my dear developers, so as this prank should only
Haunt me for 2 more hours (as i am from germany)
there is only one question left :

c@n We H4ve +He L33+ 5PE@k OptI0N 1n tH3 0P3N$IM.1NI PLE453.
A$ 1 h@VE t3rR4in t3x+Ur35 THAt l00K LIK3 5KULL$ ?

Best regards