Has Anyone Tried this Virtualized Server?

Has Anyone Tried this Virtualized Server?

Robert Klein
I stumbled on this company (http://www.tektonic.net) and was wondering if anyone has tried the $15 account with OpenSim? What do you think of the specs and would it be enough server to run four regions?

-Robert

Re: Has Anyone Tried this Virtualized Server?

Frisby, Adam
One of my employees used them and said they worked out really well. YMMV.

Adam

Dave Coyle
On 2009-02-17 20:41:49 -0500, [hidden email] wrote:
> I stumbled on this company (http://www.tektonic.net) and was wondering if
> anyone has tried the $15 account with OpenSim? What do you think of the
> specs and would it be enough server to run four regions?

Depends on what the four regions are used for.  A couple of avs, not a
huge number of scripts or prims, absolutely.  But you're not going to
be able to run Wright Plaza on something that tiny.

I've used Tektonic before, but not for OpenSim (but I've heard others
have).  I liked the service, but prefer Linode [ http://linode.com ]
which offers something similar.  I've used both their "Linode 360" and
"Linode 540" plans with OpenSim, and it's worked great, though I used
it for something low on prims/scripts.  Currently the OSGrid region
Knifejaw Atoll and the voids W, E, SW, and S of it are hosted on a
single Linode 540 plan (similar in spec to Tektonic's "Level-2"
plan)... feel free to fly in a few alts and see how it performs.  You
can also watch the server performance stats while you're doing so at:

    http://twofish.knifejaw.com/stats/?c=knifejaw.com&h=twofish.knifejaw.com

I also know someone else who's happily running OpenSim on a low-cost
VPS from http://www.fsckvps.com/hosting/

-Coyle

Re: Has Anyone Tried this Virtualized Server?

Charles Krinke-3
We are doing really well with cari.net with OpenSim regions on OSGrid. Their support is great, prices are great and I would recommend them. All the plazas on OSGrid run on two Cari.net servers currently.

Charles

On 2009-02-17 20:41:49 -0500, [hidden email] wrote:
> I stumbled on this company (http://www.tektonic.net) and was wondering if
> anyone has tried the $15 account with OpenSim? What do you think of the
> specs and would it be enough server to run four regions?

Depends on what the four regions are used for.  A couple of avs, not a
huge number of scripts or prims, absolutely.  But you're not going to
be able to run Wright Plaza on something that tiny.

I've used Tektonic before, but not for OpenSim (but I've heard others
have).  I liked the service, but prefer Linode [ http://linode.com ]
which offers something similar.  I've used both their "Linode 360" and
"Linode 540" plans with OpenSim, and it's worked great, though I used
it for something low on prims/scripts.  Currently the OSGrid region
Knifejaw Atoll and the voids W, E, SW, and S of it are hosted on a
single Linode 540 plan (similar in spec to Tektonic's "Level-2"
plan)... feel free to fly in a few alts and see how it performs.  You
can also watch the server performance stats while you're doing so at:

    http://twofish.knifejaw.com/stats/?c=knifejaw.com&h=twofish.knifejaw.com

I also know someone else who's happily running OpenSim on a low-cost
VPS from http://www.fsckvps.com/hosting/

-Coyle

Re: Has Anyone Tried this Virtualized Server?

John Sheridan
I tried these guys at one point, but only stayed for about a day.  The
first problem I had was that they only offered 64 bit kernels for linux
Ubuntu.  After a bit of puttering and ripping some hair out I was able
to get OpenSim going on 64 bit, but it wasn't exactly stable enough to
use.  The second biggest problem which was a total show-stopper was they
don't allow custom partitioning, hence you cant set any amount of swap
space.  If your opensim goes over the alloted memory amount, without the
ability to swap it will simply seg-fault and die.  Bandwidth wise, they
were awesome - I'll give them that much. But in the end I wound up going
with Linode.  So far with them we're able to run our whole grid with
little to no problems and plenty of room for swap just in case we wind
up with a super heavy load of users.  As well, they also offer the
ability to create a private internal network which is a super bandwidth
saver if you're running a private grid or want to run everything off of
once MySQL server.  For reference, our config is as follows:

mysql (handles databases for ugaim, sim servers, web cms, wiredux, and
project management) -
    Linode 540 - average 1% cpu, ~450 megs / ram used
grid (handles UGAIM, outgoing mail from web, web interfaces (Wiredux,
Joomla, and Overlord)) -
    Linode 360 - averages 1% cpu, ~300 megs / ram used
ellis (handles 3 Ellis Island sims, 1 light use hypergrid gateway, 2
scrap / in development sims - 5810 prims total, roughly 150 scripts) -
    Linode 540 - average 10 to 15% cpu, ~500 megs / ram used
tenchi (handles 3 Ravenport sims - 9768 prims, 2 Tokyo (empty),
Dreadbane - 7781 prims, and Felonhall (empty) - ~19536 prims total, 300
scripts) -
    Linode 1080 - average 20 to 25% cpu, ~500 megs / ram used

Meanwhile price wise they're not bad at all and bandwidth wise I'm able
to average 4 megabits (Servers located in Newark, NJ - I'm in West Palm
Beach, FL).  A Linode 540 for $30 / month was able to run just our three
Ellis sims quite well with a full build and mysql running locally before
we loaded them up with scripts and a few gigs worth of boxed inventory /
texture items then had to offload mysql to its own server and upgrade.  :)

Thanks, :)

 - John Sheridan / Orion Pseudo
http://www.pseudospace.net
secondlife://ellis.pseudospace.net:9000/

Robert Klein wrote:
> I stumbled on this company (http://www.tektonic.net) and was wondering if
> anyone has tried the $15 account with OpenSim? What do you think of the
> specs and would it be enough server to run four regions?
>
> -Robert

Share the oar love and User Servers hate me!

lordofpleasure
OK I didn't see anything new dropped off on the Oar sharing island, just the
couple pirate type buildings I put up and a beach sound rock but here it is
anyways.

http://www.4shared.com/file/89096175/115e9c1/store1tar.html

I have decided that user servers hate me. Trying to update this morning to
.8573 and the User server crashes. Clean install into an empty folder.
Placed all the new info into the opensim.ini, Started up the user server so
it will generate a fresh .xml.

I get through entering all the info, it gets to "Up to date, no migrations
to apply." Then goes boom.

Nothing in the log after the "No Migrations to apply" line.

So I decided to try version 8534. Same exact story. grrrrrr

I tried copy/pasting the old .xml config files over. Crash bang boom. grrr
again.

Anyone have any tips here on what may be the issue? Grid mode running on
Win2003.

Phoenix