Having problems with uploads when running OpenSim under Windows

Having problems with uploads when running OpenSim under Windows

Chris Kennedy-2
I am having trouble with uploading animations, textures, sounds, etc to OpenSim when running it under Windows.
About a third to half of the time I upload anything to OpenSim, it takes a few seconds longer than usual to upload
the data (especially noticable when performing a bulk upload of said data). That in itself isn't too worrisome to me,
but, if I log off OpenSim, shut the server down using the 'quit' command and restart it, and log back into OpenSim,
the data that I uploaded appears to be gone. The inventory objects referring to the data appears to still be in inventory,
but the data that it refers to on the asset server seems to be null and void.

For instance, if I uploaded a few (say 10 to 20) textures with the bulk import command, log off, shut down and restart the server, and log back in;
I can still see that the textures I uploaded are still apparently in my inventory, but if I try to open them to view the textures, all
it gives me is a blank white texture that is 256x256 in size. Same goes for animations and sounds that don't appear to upload
correctly; except the animations won't play and the sounds won't play if it was a "bad" upload. I've tried clearing my viewer cache and relogging,
but the data is still gone.

I can tell it will be a bad upload when using bulk because it takes quite a few seconds longer per file to upload than usual.
The server output seems to be normal in that it is acknowledging that it is receiving the uploaded data... But the persistance of
it seems to be gone about a third to half of the time I upload data. I can access the data that was uploaded perfectly fine... as long as I
do not log off and/or restart the server. Other times the data will persist fine between logging and/or restarting the server (this is characterized
by the data uploading at a quick and steady pace rather than hesitating between each upload).

I've double checked my MySQL, OpenSim.ini, and also my Cenome Cache settings, every thing seems to be in working order.
I am using the same settings in the server I run on Linux32 with Mono and uploads do not exhibit this strange behaviour with Linux.
Have not changed any settings in MySQL except for the Max Packet Size which I changed from 1 MB to 16 MB to allow database
backup and restore.

Specs for my Windows OS installation:
OpenSim git revision r12198 (have tried others as well) on .NET Framework
Windows 7 32-Bit
2.5 GB Ram
AMD Athlon Dual Core @ 1.6 Ghz
MySQL 5.1 for database

Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated!

Re: Having problems with uploads when running OpenSim under Windows

Karen_Palen
Try using "shutdown" rather than "quit"

On some versions "quit" did not update the database before shutting
down!

There also seem to be some SQL level problems as well although I have not yet been able to isolate them. I find that items sometimes simply "lose" their textures and appear as white. I am unable to reproduce that effect consitently, once I do I will add a JIRA report.

Karen

> [...]
> textures I uploaded are
> still apparently in my inventory, but if I try to open them
> to view the
> textures, all
> it gives me is a blank
> white texture that is
> 256x256 in size. Same goes for animations and sounds that
> don't appear to
> upload
> correctly; except the
> animations won't play and the
> sounds won't play if it was a "bad"
> upload. I've tried clearing my viewer
> cache and relogging,
> but the data is still
> gone.
>
> I can tell it will be a
> bad upload when using bulk
> because it takes quite a few seconds longer per file to
> upload than
> usual.
> The server output seems to
> be normal in that it is
> acknowledging that it is receiving the uploaded data... But
> the persistance
> of
> it seems to be gone about
> a third to half of the
> time I upload data. I can access the data that was
> uploaded perfectly
> fine... as long as I
> do not log off and/or
> restart the server. Other
> times the data will persist fine between logging and/or
> restarting the server
> (this is characterized
> by the data uploading at a
> quick and steady pace
> rather than hesitating between each upload).
>
> I've double checked my
> MySQL, OpenSim.ini, and also
> my Cenome Cache settings, every thing seems to be in
> working
> order.
> I am using the same
> settings in the server I run on
> Linux32 with Mono and uploads do not exhibit this
> strange behaviour with
> Linux.
> Have not changed any
> settings in MySQL except for
> the Max Packet Size which I changed from 1 MB to
> 16 MB to allow
> database
> backup and
> restore.
>
> Specs for my Windows OS
> installation:
> OpenSim git revision
> r12198 (have tried others
> as well) on .NET Framework
> Windows 7
> 32-Bit
> 2.5 GB Ram
> AMD Athlon Dual
> Core @ 1.6
> Ghz
> MySQL 5.1 for
> database
>
> Any help or insight would
> be greatly
> appreciated!
>
> -----Inline Attachment Follows-----

Re: Having problems with uploads when runningOpenSim under Windows

Aha, makes sense :) Thank you very much, I will try that.

> [...]

> 16 MB to allow
> database
> backup and
> restore.
>
> Specs for my Windows OS
> installation:
> OpenSim git revision
> r12198 (have tried others
> as well) on .NET Framework
> Windows 7
> 32-Bit
> 2.5 GB Ram
> AMD Athlon Dual
> Core @ 1.6
> Ghz
> MySQL 5.1 for
> database
>
> Any help or insight would
> be greatly
> appreciated!
>
> -----Inline Attachment Follows-----

Re: Having problems with uploads when running OpenSim under Windows

LaeMing
That sounds rather like what has been reported in mantis 0004331
The avatar textures are there momentarily on rebake, but then white out,
possibly because the baked textures are not uploading??

Lae

On Wednesday February 10 2010 18:31:02 Karen Palen wrote:

> Try using "shutdown" rather than "quit"
>
> On some versions "quit" did not update the database before shutting
> down!
>
> There also seem to be some SQL level problems as well although I have not
>  yet been able to isolate them. I find that items sometimes simply "lose"
>  their textures and appear as white. I am unable to reproduce that effect
>  consitently, once I do I will add a JIRA report.
>
> Karen

I'm not sure to be honest. This happens when trying to view recently
uploaded textures from the inventory. The data also appears to be
nonexistant for other recently uploaded items as well, such as animations
and sounds... That is they appear to work fine until the server is shut down
and restarted, then the data is gone o.O I've only noticed this on the
windows version of OpenSim.

> That sounds rather like what has been reported in mantis 0004331
> The avatar textures are there momentarily on rebake, but then white out,
> possibly because the baked textures are not uploading??
>
> Lae
>
> On Wednesday February 10 2010 18:31:02 Karen Palen wrote:
>> Try using "shutdown" rather than "quit"
>>
>> On some versions "quit" did not update the database before shutting
>> down!
>>
>> There also seem to be some SQL level problems as well although I have not
>>  yet been able to isolate them. I find that items sometimes simply "lose"
>>  their textures and appear as white. I am unable to reproduce that effect
>>  consitently, once I do I will add a JIRA report.
>>
>> Karen

That is rather odd... And I only see this happen on the Windows version of OpenSim. I wonder if it's a difference between running it with the .NET Framework in Windows as opposed to Mono in Linux? That is the only apparent difference I can see between the two set ups. I wanted to switch my OpenSim use over to Windows because .NET seems to be capable of compiling scripts a lot faster than Mono; but with the random missing data that seems to be happening here, it's too much of a risk for me right now.

Chris Kennedy wrote:
> Aha, makes sense :) Thank you very much, I will try that.

"shutdown" and "quit" are hardwired to exactly the same routine at an extremely low level in OpenSim, so executing one or the other won't actually make any difference.

Unfortunately, I don't have an answer to what's going wrong here.  The fact that it works sometimes would seem to suggest some kind of race condition in the OpenSim code.

LaeMing wrote:
> That sounds rather like what has been reported in mantis 0004331
> The avatar textures are there momentarily on rebake, but then white out,
> possibly because the baked textures are not uploading??

No, that is very probably a different problem.

I actually get the same effect on my local machines so I hope to investigate it soon.  Unfortunately these appearance bugs are more difficult than usual since they involve a chain of interactions between OpenSim and the black-box viewer (black-box from my pov, anyway).

> Lae
>
> On Wednesday February 10 2010 18:31:02 Karen Palen wrote:
>> Try using "shutdown" rather than "quit"
>>
>> On some versions "quit" did not update the database before shutting
>> down!
>>
>> There also seem to be some SQL level problems as well although I have not
>>  yet been able to isolate them. I find that items sometimes simply "lose"
>>  their textures and appear as white. I am unable to reproduce that effect
>>  consitently, once I do I will add a JIRA report.
>>
>> Karen

Dan Schneppenheim
just wondering how things are coming along?

On Feb 10, 2010, at 6:46 PM, Justin Clark-Casey wrote:

> LaeMing wrote:
>> That sounds rather like what has been reported in mantis 0004331
>> The avatar textures are there momentarily on rebake, but then white out,
>> possibly because the baked textures are not uploading??
>
> No, that is very probably a different problem.
>
> I actually get the same effect on my local machines so I hope to investigate it soon.  Unfortunately these appearance bugs are more difficult than usual since they involve a chain of interactions between OpenSim and the black-box viewer (black-box from my pov, anyway).
>

>> Lae
>>
>> On Wednesday February 10 2010 18:31:02 Karen Palen wrote:
>>> Try using "shutdown" rather than "quit"
>>>
>>> On some versions "quit" did not update the database before shutting
>>> down!
>>>
>>> There also seem to be some SQL level problems as well although I have not
>>> yet been able to isolate them. I find that items sometimes simply "lose"
>>> their textures and appear as white. I am unable to reproduce that effect
>>> consitently, once I do I will add a JIRA report.
>>>
>>> Karen

I am likely out of date on that one.

BTW despite the thread title "... under Windows" I am seeing this problem on Ubuntu Karmic.

Karen

> > Aha, makes sense :) Thank you very much, I will try
> that.
> >

> "shutdown" and "quit" are hardwired to exactly the same
> routine at an extremely low level in OpenSim, so executing
> one or the other won't actually make any difference.
>
> Unfortunately, I don't have an answer to what's going wrong
> here.  The fact that it works sometimes would seem to
> suggest some kind of race condition in the OpenSim code.

I am also running OpenSim on Ubuntu Karmic... but I've not noticed this
problem occuring with that particular setup. I did notice for a while that
avatar textures were not baking properly, resulting in white hair, white
eyes, and grey skin (apparent to other users), but I was able to get around
that by enabling hypergrid in OpenSim.ini, which seemed to fix it. However,
the white textures I'm referring to come straight out of inventory when you
double click on them to view them. It isn't just textures that come up
missing; it's also sounds and animations as well.

BTW despite the thread title "... under Windows" I am seeing this problem on
Ubuntu Karmic.

Karen

> > Aha, makes sense :) Thank you very much, I will try
> that.
> >

> "shutdown" and "quit" are hardwired to exactly the same
> routine at an extremely low level in OpenSim, so executing
> one or the other won't actually make any difference.
>
> Unfortunately, I don't have an answer to what's going wrong
> here. The fact that it works sometimes would seem to
> suggest some kind of race condition in the OpenSim code.

Olli Aro
Administrator
Regarding having to rebake the hair and eyes all the time and other avatars
appearing as grey skin.

I experience this problem very often as well.

When you say you fixed this by enabling the hypergrid can you give me some
more details? Did you just set the hypergrid to true in config or something
more?

Regards,

Olli

Ahh, basically all I did was navigate down in the OpenSim.ini to the
[Architecture] section and uncommented the Include-HGStandalone line and
commented out the Include-Standalone line, like below:

[Architecture]
; Choose exactly one and only one of the architectures below.

;Include-Standalone = "config-include/Standalone.ini"
Include-HGStandalone = "config-include/StandaloneHypergrid.ini"
;Include-Grid = "config-include/Grid.ini"
;Include-HGGrid = "config-include/GridHypergrid.ini"

I didn't set hypergrid to true or anything else, just uncommented that
particular line... I wonder, should I have made any other settings for
Hypergrid?

> Regarding having to rebake the hair and eyes all the time and other
> avatars
> appearing as grey skin.
>
> I experience this problem very often as well.
>
> When you say you fixed this by enabling the hypergrid can you give me some
> more details? Did you just set the hypergrid to true in config or
> something
> more?
>
> Regards,
>
> Olli

Excellent. That seems to fix the problem for my environment as well. Been
testing with this for ages, since it seems that the problem does not appear
if you access you OpenSim locally (so thought maybe something to do with
network layers).

Thank you so much for this info!!

Olli

You're very welcome =). The problem I was having was that Other people saw
me as grey, but I could see myself just fine (aside from the white hair and
eyes...) no matter if it was local or over WAN. Hypergrid seemed to have
resolved that for me.

Chris Kennedy wrote:

> Ahh, basically all I did was navigate down in the OpenSim.ini to the
> [Architecture] section and uncommented the Include-HGStandalone line and
> commented out the Include-Standalone line, like below:
>
> [Architecture]
> ; Choose exactly one and only one of the architectures below.
>
> ;Include-Standalone = "config-include/Standalone.ini"
> Include-HGStandalone = "config-include/StandaloneHypergrid.ini"
> ;Include-Grid = "config-include/Grid.ini"
> ;Include-HGGrid = "config-include/GridHypergrid.ini"
>
> I didn't set hypergrid to true or anything else, just uncommented that
> particular line... I wonder, should I have made any other settings for
> Hypergrid?

Just for all your information, I just fixed this bug in OpenSim Master at revision 802a969267da.  It turns out that the local asset service connector was not checking the cache properly for 'local' assets.  This bug would not affect grid and that might be the reason that hypergrid also worked.

Works for me. GLORIOUS.

Thanx Justin.

On Saturday February 13 2010 08:42:35 Justin Clark-Casey wrote:
> Just for all your information, I just fixed this bug in OpenSim Master at
>  revision 802a969267da.  It turns out that the local asset service
>  connector was not checking the cache properly for 'local' assets.  This
>  bug would not affect grid and that might be the reason that hypergrid also
>  worked.

Re: Having problems with uploads

Paul Fishwick
Yes, very nice fix - now, i don't have to go around virtually with
white hair and eyes!
-p

LaeMing wrote:

> Works for me. GLORIOUS.
>
> Thanx Justin.
>
> On Saturday February 13 2010 08:42:35 Justin Clark-Casey wrote:
>
>> Just for all your information, I just fixed this bug in OpenSim Master at
>>  revision 802a969267da.  It turns out that the local asset service
>>  connector was not checking the cache properly for 'local' assets.  This
>>  bug would not affect grid and that might be the reason that hypergrid also
>>  worked.

Dr. Paul A. Fishwick           E-Mail: [hidden email]
Dept. of Computer & Info       Phone & FAX: (352) 392-1414
 Science and Engineering       WWW: http://www.cise.ufl.edu/~fishwick
University of Florida          (PGP Key available at above WWW address)
P. O. Box 116120
332 Bldg. CSE, Gainesville, FL 32611-6120

Re: Having problems with uploads whenrunningOpenSimunder Windows

Chris Kennedy-2
Awesome! Thank you very much Justin :)