Having some problems with XEngine under Linux

Having some problems with XEngine under Linux

Chris Kennedy-2
I've compiled the latest git revision as of today on Windows 7 32bit
and also on Linux (Ubuntu Jaunty) 32bit. I have about 85 scripts to load
in 1 region in standalone using MySQL as the database and XEngine for scripts.

In Windows, OpenSim will load up all the scripts in less than a minute, 2 minutes tops, and
also unload XEngine plus scripts on 'quit' command in a few seconds.

However, when running OpenSim under Linux (on the same computer, different boot disk) it takes over
5 minutes to load all of the scripts and it takes a couple minutes (at least)
to unload XEngine and the scripts from memory to shut the server down.

I've tried tweaking my settings for mono and also MySQL to no avail. Have also
tried tweaking the settings in the XEngine setting in OpenSim.ini such as the Min
and Max Threads and Priority = "Normal" (rather than BelowNormal as default).

Have also tried the same setup on 2 other computers of mine with the same issues.
The latest stable release with post fixes also exhibits this issue (0.6.8 as of this writing).

Can't seem to find any info on the opensimulator wiki, mantis,
or on Google/Other search engines.

Only other info I can think of to give is machine specs:
Linux Mint 7 a.k.a. Ubuntu Jaunty (9.04)
Mono 2.4.2.3
MySQL 5.1.31
AMD Phenom Tri Core @ 2.3 ghz
3 GB RAM

I would like to use Linux for OpenSim rather than Windows.
Does anyone know what might be causing this and how I can fix it; or a point in
the right direction please? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Re: Having some problems with XEngine under Linux

Chris Kennedy-2
Also tried reducing the number of scripts to load, while this does obviously make for shorter load time, the amount of time taken per script to load in Linux is still significantly longer than it takes the Windows version to load (i.e. Windows OpenSim can load 6 or 7 scripts by the time Linux OpenSim has loaded 1 and barely starting to work on another one.)

Re: Having some problems with XEngine under Linux

justincc
Chris, your experience does sound excessive but I don't think that there is any specific setting
that you can tweak here.  It may simply be the case that Mono is currently slower to compile these
things than is Windows.

Chris Kennedy wrote:

> Also tried reducing the number of scripts to load, while this does
> obviously make for shorter load time, the amount of time taken per
> script to load in Linux is still significantly longer than it takes the
> Windows version to load (i.e. Windows OpenSim can load 6 or 7 scripts by
> the time Linux OpenSim has loaded 1 and barely starting to work on
> another one.)

Hmm... That makes sense; I'm just glad it isnt a misconfiguration on my
part.
Thank you for your response =)