Having trouble with people logging in to OS from outside my network.

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
12 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Having trouble with people logging in to OS from outside my network.

Chris Kennedy-2
Hi, I am having a little bit of trouble with people trying to log into
my OS server from outside my network. I can log into it fine from any
computer on my LAN but when someone tries to access it from WAN they get
as far as the region handshake and it dies on them.

Here is the Regions.ini setup

[Monte Cristo]
RegionUUID = bf4a1f26-f6f2-4871-bbf5-3620e8a39872
Location = 1000,1000
InternalAddress = 0.0.0.0
InternalPort = 9000
AllowAlternatePorts = False
ExternalHostName = 70.XXX.XXX.200 (actual full address is in the ini
file, just middle two octets hidden here for privacy)
MasterAvatarFirstName = Chris
MasterAvatarLastName = Kennedy
MasterAvatarSandboxPassword = lolpassword


This works perfectly fine when I run OpenSim from my Linux box (I can
log in and others can login outside my LAN just fine), but using this
same setup on my Windows computer it hangs at region handshake for
people outside my LAN (I can log in fine and all works fine as long as
it is a computer within my LAN). There is no apparent difference in
OpenSim setup except for the fact that it is on Windows instead of
Linux, and a different LAN IP address.

I have made sure to forward the OpenSim ports to the appropriate LAN IPs
on my router for both my Linux and Windows system. My database
connectors in OpenSim.ini are correct, MySQL has the database and
database user with privileges set to the opensim database. My firewall
is set to allow OpenSim on all ports (even tried disabling my firewall
completely). I've checked my hosts file and it is redirecting localhost
to 127.0.0.1 if that is useful info...

I am really at a loss on this... Any insight on this would be much
appreciated!
_______________________________________________
Opensim-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.berlios.de/mailman/listinfo/opensim-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Having trouble with people logging in to OS from outside my network.

Master_Mirage
<quote author="Chris Kennedy-2">
Hi, I am having a little bit of trouble with people trying to log into
my OS server from outside my network. I can log into it fine from any
computer on my LAN but when someone tries to access it from WAN they get
as far as the region handshake and it dies on them.

Here is the Regions.ini setup

[Monte Cristo]
RegionUUID = bf4a1f26-f6f2-4871-bbf5-3620e8a39872
Location = 1000,1000
InternalAddress = 0.0.0.0
InternalPort = 9000
AllowAlternatePorts = False
ExternalHostName = 70.XXX.XXX.200 (actual full address is in the ini
file, just middle two octets hidden here for privacy)
MasterAvatarFirstName = Chris
MasterAvatarLastName = Kennedy
MasterAvatarSandboxPassword = lolpassword

You may want to try a lan ip # like ExternalHostName = 10.0.0.5  or 192.168.1.5  depending on the lan ip of the box.

Its hard to tell what mode your running opensim in though.
The rest of your ini looks ok.
If you use a LAN ip it req you use port fwd in your router so external clients will  be sent to the proper box and port. In that case the router deals with your actual web ip# and your LAN region server dosent have to.
If you dont have a router then it would be ether the fixed ip as you have it or you can use a fqdn in its place. Sometimes isp's keep changing your web ip on you. If thats the case then you want to use a fqdn and an ip tracking client like bynDNS or others.
With out knowing more of what you have set up its hard to say. It can get a bit complex in knowing what to tell you.


Our New Web Page
Http://www.TritonGrid.com
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Having trouble with people logging in to OS from outside my network.

Master_Mirage
[Monte Cristo]
RegionUUID = bf4a1f26-f6f2-4871-bbf5-3620e8a39872
Location = 1000,1000
InternalAddress = 0.0.0.0
InternalPort = 9000
AllowAlternatePorts = False
ExternalHostName = 70.XXX.XXX.200 (actual full address is in the ini
file, just middle two octets hidden here for privacy)
MasterAvatarFirstName = Chris
MasterAvatarLastName = Kennedy
MasterAvatarSandboxPassword = lolpassword

You may want to try a lan ip # like ExternalHostName = 10.0.0.5  or 192.168.1.5  depending on the lan ip of the box.

Its hard to tell what mode your running opensim in though.
The rest of your ini looks ok.
If you use a LAN ip it req you use port fwd in your router so external clients will  be sent to the proper box and port. In that case the router deals with your actual web ip# and your LAN region server dosent have to.
If you dont have a router then it would be ether the fixed ip as you have it or you can use a fqdn in its place. Sometimes isp's keep changing your web ip on you. If thats the case then you want to use a fqdn and an ip tracking client like bynDNS or others.
With out knowing more of what you have set up its hard to say. It can get a bit complex in knowing what to tell you.
-----------------
Adding a note: If your not using a router you also want to change InternalAddress = 0.0.0.0  to your lan IP so it knows what to listen on. That asumes you have a FIX web ip# and no router.



Our New Web Page
Http://www.TritonGrid.com
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Having trouble with people logging in to OS from outside my network.

Chris Kennedy-2
Ah alright, I will give that a try.

I am using a router (Linksys WRT54G using DD-WRT custom firmware if it
helps). My OpenSim setup is in standalone mode, hypergrid is off , not
using mega regions , and not connected to a larger grid such as OSGrid.

When you say try a LAN IP such as 192.168.1.5; are you referring to the
gateway address (i.e. the router's ip) or the LAN IP address of the
computer I have OpenSim running on?

Thank you for your help :)


On 5/29/2010 11:17 AM, Master_Mirage wrote:

> [Monte Cristo]
> RegionUUID = bf4a1f26-f6f2-4871-bbf5-3620e8a39872
> Location = 1000,1000
> InternalAddress = 0.0.0.0
> InternalPort = 9000
> AllowAlternatePorts = False
> ExternalHostName = 70.XXX.XXX.200 (actual full address is in the ini
> file, just middle two octets hidden here for privacy)
> MasterAvatarFirstName = Chris
> MasterAvatarLastName = Kennedy
> MasterAvatarSandboxPassword = lolpassword
>
> You may want to try a lan ip # like ExternalHostName = 10.0.0.5  or
> 192.168.1.5  depending on the lan ip of the box.
>
> Its hard to tell what mode your running opensim in though.
> The rest of your ini looks ok.
> If you use a LAN ip it req you use port fwd in your router so external
> clients will  be sent to the proper box and port. In that case the router
> deals with your actual web ip# and your LAN region server dosent have to.
> If you dont have a router then it would be ether the fixed ip as you have it
> or you can use a fqdn in its place. Sometimes isp's keep changing your web
> ip on you. If thats the case then you want to use a fqdn and an ip tracking
> client like bynDNS or others.
> With out knowing more of what you have set up its hard to say. It can get a
> bit complex in knowing what to tell you.
> -----------------
> Adding a note: If your not using a router you also want to change
> InternalAddress = 0.0.0.0  to your lan IP so it knows what to listen on.
> That asumes you have a FIX web ip# and no router.
>
>
>
>
>
> -----
> Our New Web Page
> Http://www.TritonGrid.com
>    

_______________________________________________
Opensim-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.berlios.de/mailman/listinfo/opensim-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Having trouble with people logging in to OS from outside my network.

Chris Kennedy-2
On 5/29/2010 1:58 PM, Chris Kennedy wrote:

> Ah alright, I will give that a try.
>
> I am using a router (Linksys WRT54G using DD-WRT custom firmware if it
> helps). My OpenSim setup is in standalone mode, hypergrid is off , not
> using mega regions , and not connected to a larger grid such as OSGrid.
>
> When you say try a LAN IP such as 192.168.1.5; are you referring to
> the gateway address (i.e. the router's ip) or the LAN IP address of
> the computer I have OpenSim running on?
>
> Thank you for your help :)

Added Note: I do have port fowarding setup on my router for OpenSim.
Port Range Forwarding 9000 - 9100 on both TCP and UDP for 192.168.1.100
(which would be the LAN IP for my Windows computer) and I have an
additional Port Range Forwarding set up for 9000 - 9100 on both TCP and
UDP for 192.168.1.122 (Linux computer)

( http://img708.imageshack.us/img708/5051/prf.jpg screen capture of my
port setups)

I've also tried it with uPnP and/or DMZ enabled with no luck.


>
>
> On 5/29/2010 11:17 AM, Master_Mirage wrote:
>> [Monte Cristo]
>> RegionUUID = bf4a1f26-f6f2-4871-bbf5-3620e8a39872
>> Location = 1000,1000
>> InternalAddress = 0.0.0.0
>> InternalPort = 9000
>> AllowAlternatePorts = False
>> ExternalHostName = 70.XXX.XXX.200 (actual full address is in the ini
>> file, just middle two octets hidden here for privacy)
>> MasterAvatarFirstName = Chris
>> MasterAvatarLastName = Kennedy
>> MasterAvatarSandboxPassword = lolpassword
>>
>> You may want to try a lan ip # like ExternalHostName = 10.0.0.5  or
>> 192.168.1.5  depending on the lan ip of the box.
>>
>> Its hard to tell what mode your running opensim in though.
>> The rest of your ini looks ok.
>> If you use a LAN ip it req you use port fwd in your router so external
>> clients will  be sent to the proper box and port. In that case the
>> router
>> deals with your actual web ip# and your LAN region server dosent have
>> to.
>> If you dont have a router then it would be ether the fixed ip as you
>> have it
>> or you can use a fqdn in its place. Sometimes isp's keep changing
>> your web
>> ip on you. If thats the case then you want to use a fqdn and an ip
>> tracking
>> client like bynDNS or others.
>> With out knowing more of what you have set up its hard to say. It can
>> get a
>> bit complex in knowing what to tell you.
>> -----------------
>> Adding a note: If your not using a router you also want to change
>> InternalAddress = 0.0.0.0  to your lan IP so it knows what to listen on.
>> That asumes you have a FIX web ip# and no router.
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>> -----
>> Our New Web Page
>> Http://www.TritonGrid.com
>
> _______________________________________________
> Opensim-users mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://lists.berlios.de/mailman/listinfo/opensim-users
>

_______________________________________________
Opensim-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.berlios.de/mailman/listinfo/opensim-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Having trouble with people logging in to OS from outside my network.

Master_Mirage
<quote author="Chris Kennedy-2">
On 5/29/2010 1:58 PM, Chris Kennedy wrote:
> Ah alright, I will give that a try.
>
> I am using a router (Linksys WRT54G using DD-WRT custom firmware if it
> helps). My OpenSim setup is in standalone mode, hypergrid is off , not
> using mega regions , and not connected to a larger grid such as OSGrid.
>
> When you say try a LAN IP such as 192.168.1.5; are you referring to
> the gateway address (i.e. the router's ip) or the LAN IP address of
> the computer I have OpenSim running on?
>
> Thank you for your help :)

Would be the lan ip of the computer your running opensim on.
Gateway ip.. Opensimulator dosent care about , because you allready defind that in your normal network settings.


You also should set your network settings the computer uses to a FIXED lan ip # rather than a DHCP issued one. You want that a constant computer lan ip # for Opensimulator in this case.

Your router is doing the work mostly so you dont want your computer to also be too smart at the same time.
Our New Web Page
Http://www.TritonGrid.com
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Having trouble with people logging in to OS from outside my network.

Master_Mirage
In reply to this post by Chris Kennedy-2
From your pic of your router settings, im supprised its letting you route like that.. You have the same port range going to 2 different places, normaly you wouldent do that. should be 9000-9099 then the bext range to the other computer 9100-9199 and so on. You also have to adj Opensimulator settings for the differnt ranges to match them.





Our New Web Page
Http://www.TritonGrid.com
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Having trouble with people logging in to OS from outside my network.

Chris Kennedy-2
Yes, I do have both my Windows and Linux box set to static IP
(192.168.1.100 and 192.168.1.122 respectively).

As far as the port range forwarding settings go, I don't run OpenSim on
both computers at the same time (it's either one or the other) and I
disable whichever one that I am not currently using in my Port Range
Forwarding settings in the router setup via the enable checkbox.

I have tried going as far as deleting all my port forward and port range
forward settings, leaving just the one for OpenSim for my Windows
computer with no luck there either.

I am not sure why it works perfectly fine on my Linux computer and not
Windows (disabled my firewall and made sure the windows firewall is off.
Also disabled antivirus as it has network sheilds) . This is a real head
scratcher for me. I can run other network services on the same Windows
box such as an HTTP server and Unreal Tournament server just fine and
other people can connect to them, just OpenSim is not liking it lol...


On 5/29/2010 2:54 PM, Master_Mirage wrote:

> > From your pic of your router settings, im supprised its letting you route
> like that.. You have the same port range going to 2 different places,
> normaly you wouldent do that. should be 9000-9099 then the bext range to the
> other computer 9100-9199 and so on. You also have to adj Opensimulator
> settings for the differnt ranges to match them.
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
> -----
> Our New Web Page
> Http://www.TritonGrid.com
>    

_______________________________________________
Opensim-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.berlios.de/mailman/listinfo/opensim-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Having trouble with people logging in to OS from outside my network.

Master_Mirage
Ok well, i still think that dual port range use looks odd to me, will assume that its not that.
If you allready have a working linux opensim and not a working win, the only real diff is the lan ip # as far as settings go, there arnt realy any other diffs if your doing what i think.
Its possable and i know this happens that the router dosent allways reset when it thinks it has. You may want to un-plug your router's power then back in, making shure only the portrange you have enabled is point to the right box and re-try.
DMZ should be off btw.
Next would be loop back may be differnt on win than on *nix but i doubt it.

If that dosent set it right, you want to make shure that the port is reacable, sometimes win can fool yah.

Our New Web Page
Http://www.TritonGrid.com
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Having trouble with people logging in to OS from outside my network.

Chris Kennedy-2
Hmm alright. I will try the router reset and see if it helps it. As far
as I know loop back is the same

127.0.0.1       localhost

is the entry in my windows hosts file and DMZ is currently off.

I will get back with you and let you know how it went.

Many thanks for your help =)


On 5/29/2010 4:02 PM, Master_Mirage wrote:

> Ok well, i still think that dual port range use looks odd to me, will assume
> that its not that.
> If you allready have a working linux opensim and not a working win, the only
> real diff is the lan ip # as far as settings go, there arnt realy any other
> diffs if your doing what i think.
> Its possable and i know this happens that the router dosent allways reset
> when it thinks it has. You may want to un-plug your router's power then back
> in, making shure only the portrange you have enabled is point to the right
> box and re-try.
> DMZ should be off btw.
> Next would be loop back may be differnt on win than on *nix but i doubt it.
>
> If that dosent set it right, you want to make shure that the port is
> reacable, sometimes win can fool yah.
>
>
>
> -----
> Our New Web Page
> Http://www.TritonGrid.com
>    

_______________________________________________
Opensim-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.berlios.de/mailman/listinfo/opensim-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Having trouble with people logging in to OS from outside my network.

Chris Kennedy-2
On an added note, I have checked with http://canyouseeme.org while
OpenSim is running on my Windows box and the website does seem to be
able to see my "service" on port 9000. People outside my LAN can
actually log in to OpenSim while on Windows, it just times out on Region
Handshake and returns an error.

On 5/29/2010 4:34 PM, Chris Kennedy wrote:

> Hmm alright. I will try the router reset and see if it helps it. As
> far as I know loop back is the same
>
> 127.0.0.1       localhost
>
> is the entry in my windows hosts file and DMZ is currently off.
>
> I will get back with you and let you know how it went.
>
> Many thanks for your help =)
>
>
> On 5/29/2010 4:02 PM, Master_Mirage wrote:
>> Ok well, i still think that dual port range use looks odd to me, will
>> assume
>> that its not that.
>> If you allready have a working linux opensim and not a working win,
>> the only
>> real diff is the lan ip # as far as settings go, there arnt realy any
>> other
>> diffs if your doing what i think.
>> Its possable and i know this happens that the router dosent allways
>> reset
>> when it thinks it has. You may want to un-plug your router's power
>> then back
>> in, making shure only the portrange you have enabled is point to the
>> right
>> box and re-try.
>> DMZ should be off btw.
>> Next would be loop back may be differnt on win than on *nix but i
>> doubt it.
>>
>> If that dosent set it right, you want to make shure that the port is
>> reacable, sometimes win can fool yah.
>>
>>
>>
>> -----
>> Our New Web Page
>> Http://www.TritonGrid.com
>
> _______________________________________________
> Opensim-users mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://lists.berlios.de/mailman/listinfo/opensim-users
>

_______________________________________________
Opensim-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.berlios.de/mailman/listinfo/opensim-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Having trouble with people logging in to OS from outside my network.

Chris Kennedy-2
Okay. I tried a few things earlier with a friend of mine who's outside
of my LAN.

I set ExternalHostName to 192.168.1.100 (Windows Computer IP) with no luck
         Tried 192.168.1.1 (I can't even log in from LAN when it is set
to this)
         Tried my WAN IP (70.xxx.xxx.200 number)

Tried changing my computer's LAN IP to some other address and updating
my router's port range forwarding and Regions.ini accordingly
Deleted all the port forward and port range forward settings leaving
just the one for OpenSim available and active
Tried DMZ again, didn't work, turned it back off.
Rebooted router and modem

I also thought maybe the fact that I had more than one NIC (VirtualBox
adapters due to having VBox virtual machine installed) might have had
something to do with it, so I uninstalled it, rebooted my computer and
made sure that the only NIC left in the list was my computer's hardware
NIC; but this didn't seem to help either.

Also uninstalled some other programs that affect my computer network
wise to no avail.

Checked again with http://canyouseeme.org while OpenSim is running (on
port 9000) and it indeed sees the service still.

While it will connect, it just doesn't want to get past region handshake
for some reason (for users outside my LAN). It hangs at region handshake
then eventually gives a can't connect error.

Here is what I see when someone tries to login outside my LAN:

2010-05-30 00:21:16,203 INFO  -
OpenSim.Framework.Communications.Services.LoginService [LOGIN BEGIN]:
XMLRPC Received login request message from user 'XXX' 'Radikal'
2010-05-30 00:21:16,203 DEBUG -
OpenSim.Framework.Communications.Services.LoginService [LOGIN]: XMLRPC
Client is Second Life Release 1.23.5.136262, start location is last
2010-05-30 00:21:16,218 INFO  -
OpenSim.Client.Linden.LLStandaloneLoginService [LOGIN]: Authenticating
XXX Radikal
2010-05-30 00:21:16,265 INFO  - OpenSim.Region.Framework.Scenes.Scene
[USERLOGOFF]: Got a logoff request for
1329fa67-0a2a-4fa4-80df-b5e6e999e3cc but the user isn't here.  The user
might already have been logged out
2010-05-30 00:21:16,265 INFO  -
OpenSim.Framework.Communications.Services.LoginService [LOGIN]: XMLRPC
User XXX Radikal is already logged in, not notifying user, kicking old
presence and starting new login.
2010-05-30 00:21:16,312 DEBUG -
OpenSim.Services.InventoryService.InventoryService [INVENTORY SERVICE]:
Getting inventory skeleton for 1329fa67-0a2a-4fa4-80df-b5e6e999e3cc
2010-05-30 00:21:16,328 INFO  -
OpenSim.Client.Linden.LLStandaloneLoginService [LOGIN]: Telling Monte
Cristo @ 1000,1000 (http://70.191.178.200:9000) to prepare for client
connection
2010-05-30 00:21:16,328 INFO  - OpenSim.Region.Framework.Scenes.Scene
[CONNECTION BEGIN]: Region Monte Cristo told of incoming root agent XXX
Radikal 1329fa67-0a2a-4fa4-80df-b5e6e999e3cc (circuit code 84931925,
teleportflags 128)
2010-05-30 00:21:16,328 DEBUG -
OpenSim.Framework.Communications.UserManagerBase [USER AUTH]: Verifying
session 4a498a08-0b29-215c-fb46-d96d01596371 for
1329fa67-0a2a-4fa4-80df-b5e6e999e3cc; current  session
4a498a08-0b29-215c-fb46-d96d01596371
2010-05-30 00:21:16,328 DEBUG - OpenSim.Region.Framework.Scenes.Scene
[CONNECTION BEGIN]: User authentication returned True
2010-05-30 00:21:16,343 INFO  - OpenSim.Region.Framework.Scenes.Scene
[CONNECTION BEGIN]: Region Monte Cristo authenticated and authorized
incoming root agent XXX Radikal 1329fa67-0a2a-4fa4-80df-b5e6e999e3cc
(circuit code 84931925)

It hangs there (presumably while on region handshake) then eventually
gives the user an error that it can not connect.

----Original Message----

Hi, I am having a little bit of trouble with people trying to log into
my OS server from outside my network. I can log into it fine from any
computer on my LAN but when someone tries to access it from WAN they get
as far as the region handshake and it dies on them.

Here is the Regions.ini setup

[Monte Cristo]
RegionUUID = bf4a1f26-f6f2-4871-bbf5-3620e8a39872
Location = 1000,1000
InternalAddress = 0.0.0.0
InternalPort = 9000
AllowAlternatePorts = False
ExternalHostName = 70.XXX.XXX.200 (actual full address is in the ini
file, just middle two octets hidden here for privacy)
MasterAvatarFirstName = Chris
MasterAvatarLastName = Kennedy
MasterAvatarSandboxPassword = lolpassword


This works perfectly fine when I run OpenSim from my Linux box (I can
log in and others can login outside my LAN just fine), but using this
same setup on my Windows computer it hangs at region handshake for
people outside my LAN (I can log in fine and all works fine as long as
it is a computer within my LAN). There is no apparent difference in
OpenSim setup except for the fact that it is on Windows instead of
Linux, and a different LAN IP address.

I have made sure to forward the OpenSim ports to the appropriate LAN IPs
on my router for both my Linux and Windows system. My database
connectors in OpenSim.ini are correct, MySQL has the database and
database user with privileges set to the opensim database. My firewall
is set to allow OpenSim on all ports (even tried disabling my firewall
completely). I've checked my hosts file and it is redirecting localhost
to 127.0.0.1 if that is useful info...

I am really at a loss on this... Any insight on this would be much
appreciated!
_______________________________________________
Opensim-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.berlios.de/mailman/listinfo/opensim-users