Help: Opensim behind an ISA Firewall

cliveg
Hi

I've just installed OpenSim 0.66 on a CentOS 5.3 linux box on a class
A subnet behind and insitutional ISA firewall.

Opensim is running fine in standalone mode but I cannot connect to it
remotely using a Hippo client running under Windows Vista.

The server has a valid class C address on the Internet side of the ISA
firewall/NATbox of 195.194.82.16

The hippo client successfully connects to the server via TCP and will
authenticate a user.

However connection fails when the client user login gets to the region
handshake, which I presume uses UDP.

The problem comes down to the fact that Opensim is listening for UDP
connections on port 9000 on the servers internal IP of 10.100.0.22

I've looked that the packets on the client machine and it appears that
they're not getting delivered to the server as the client is using a
destination IP of 10.100.0.22 for the UDP connection, which of course
is not routable over the Internet.

Is there any way of getting the client to send the UDP packets to
195.194.82.16 instead of 10.100.0.22?

Thanks in advance

Clive

Re: Help: Opensim behind an ISA Firewall

Paul Fishwick
Clive:
 Have you tried setting the Internal IP to 0.0.0.0  ?
-p

clive gould wrote:

> Hi
>
> I've just installed OpenSim 0.66 on a CentOS 5.3 linux box on a class
> A subnet behind and insitutional ISA firewall.
>
> Opensim is running fine in standalone mode but I cannot connect to it
> remotely using a Hippo client running under Windows Vista.
>
> The server has a valid class C address on the Internet side of the ISA
> firewall/NATbox of 195.194.82.16
>
> The hippo client successfully connects to the server via TCP and will
> authenticate a user.
>
> However connection fails when the client user login gets to the region
> handshake, which I presume uses UDP.
>
> The problem comes down to the fact that Opensim is listening for UDP
> connections on port 9000 on the servers internal IP of 10.100.0.22
>
> I've looked that the packets on the client machine and it appears that
> they're not getting delivered to the server as the client is using a
> destination IP of 10.100.0.22 for the UDP connection, which of course
> is not routable over the Internet.
>
> Is there any way of getting the client to send the UDP packets to
> 195.194.82.16 instead of 10.100.0.22?
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> Clive

Dr. Paul A. Fishwick           E-Mail: [hidden email]
Dept. of Computer & Info       Phone & FAX: (352) 392-1414
 Science and Engineering       WWW: http://www.cise.ufl.edu/~fishwick
University of Florida          (PGP Key available at above WWW address)
P. O. Box 116120
332 Bldg. CSE, Gainesville, FL 32611-6120

Re: Help: Opensim behind an ISA Firewall

Teravus Ovares
I would suggest setting the internal IP to 0.0.0.0 or the main IP
address of the respective network interface to listen on and suggest
setting the external hostname to a hostname that refers to the IP
address that you expect people to connect on.  (0.0.0.0 means listen
on all interfaces, but it doesn't always work with multi-interface
systems)

You are also going to need a routing rule to forward requests from
within your private IP space to the public if your router doesn't
support NAT loopback directly.

Regards

Teravus