Help with Hypergrid TP's please.

allex
Hi All.
I seriously need some advice about HG TP's, I have looked around but cant seem to pin point my issue.

I have done the following :-

Registered a domain name and pointed its NS to no-ip NS which in tern point to my Dynamic IP.
Setup OSG dev.0.8.0 - running and can access the HG and TP out to other enabled grids.

Problem is getting home... before leaving my region I set home, and when trying to return to it
I get an error that the viewer could not communicate with the server. OK. so I have tried various other
viewers with the same result.

I thought maybe a port issue, so I tried to access my region using the domain name from another PC
totally independant of my system and was able to log onto my region.

If i enter my domain name into the map search the system returns "region not found"

Any ideas anyone? I really dont know what i am missing here....

oh I have checked and re-checked the .ini files and i have only my domain name entered everywhere.

Thanks.
Allex

Re: Help with Hypergrid TP's please.

Fleep Tuque
Likely answers to your question (but not guaranteed!) at:

- Chris

Chris M. Collins (Avatar: Fleep Tuque)
Center for Simulations & Virtual Environments Research (UCSIM)
UCIT Research & Development
UC Office of Information Technologies
University of Cincinnati
400 University Hall
PO Box 210658
Cincinnati, OH 45221-0658
(513) 556-3018

On Wed, Nov 20, 2013 at 2:12 AM, allex <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Gary Beck
Allex,
  I have a similar situation.  Perhaps I can add some clues.
  I read somewhere (& can no longer find) an explanation of the approach used to validate incoming hypergrid viewer connections.  The main idea was that the incoming viewer IP address should match the home grids stored IP address for that viewer.  For users external to the home grid LAN this would be the external IP address.  Users residing on the home grid LAN typically have some local LAN IP address stored rather than the external IP address.  The design is to handle this as an acceptable exception as long as the stored viewer IP at the home grid matches the home grid IP address.
  I'm running OpenSim 0.7.6 as a stand alone hypergrid.  I have two PCs in my local LAN.  If I run a viewer on the server PC I am able to jump out to other grids.  However I can't teleport home.  If I run a viewer on the non-server PC I can again jump out to other grids.  In this case I can teleport home.
  There are message in my OpenSim log which I think show the values being compared.  If you can find these if might make clear what is happening.  I'll paste what I see for the two cases I've described.

When logged on local to the server PC:

Outgoing:
[USER AGENT SERVICE]: Comparing 71.89.173.18 with login IP 127.0.0.1 and MyIP 127.0.0.1; result is true
Returning:
[USER AGENT SERVICE]: Comparing 192.168.1.1 with login IP 127.0.0.1 and MyIP 127.0.0.1; result is false

When logged on local to a non-server PC:

Outgoing:
[USER AGENT SERVICE]: Comparing 71.89.173.18 with login IP 192.168.1.1 and MyIP 192.168.1.1; result is true
Returning:
[USER AGENT SERVICE]: Comparing 192.168.1.1 with login IP 192.168.1.1 and MyIP 192.168.1.1; result is true

I hope that's of some help.

- Gary Beck

On 11/20/2013 8:26 AM, Fleep Tuque wrote:
[...]

Hi Chris

Thank you for your reply. I read the post's and also checked that my domain name is
inserted in all the .ini files. I will test some more this week end and see if i can narrow it down
some more.

Regards
Allex

Re: Help with Hypergrid TP's please.

allex
Hi Gary
What you describe is almost exactly what is happening to me at times.
I must admit i have a rather "odd" setup in that i am not behind a router nor firewall . Reason for it is I am connected using WCDMA direct to my ISP with a always on connection and dynamic IP. This caused a lot of hassle trying to connect because of ports. In win 8 even opening the TCP/UDP ports in the firewall somehow checking them through canyouseeme.org return a "port closed" result. My ISP told me that I have an unrestricted APN with no ports blocked from their side. Most folks I asked all said my port forwarding or NAT is a problem could not understand that I have a direct connection without a router ,so, Eventually i registered a domain name and pointed the NS to no-ip using their software to keep my IP updated, I tried again. I was then able to connect to OSGrid using the HG. After not being able to get back home, I connected using my laptop with my regions login uri, the laptop has its own ISP connection, and is not part of any LAN. I could connect using the HG and I could TP back home everytime without issues. So I am thinking the problem must be somewhere on my setup and the clue you have provided does look so familiar, perhaps could it be an error in my forwarding of the domain.?

Allex

Re: Help with Hypergrid TP's please.

Fleep Tuque
Oops, reading back through those links I posted, I realize the second link wasn't the one I intended.  See this thread where Diva gives a pretty detailed explanation of how the hypergrid networking stuff works, that might also help you diagnose the issue:

For FleepGrid, I've never found a resolution for hypergridding from machines on my LAN.  If I log into the server machine where FleepGrid is hosted, I can jump out to an HG destination and back home no problem, but the jump fails if I use any other machine on my home network.  I'm pretty sure this is because the server machine has a static IP address, but the other machines on my network have an internal address assigned by DHCP, and when that doesn't match with the external IP address detected by the destination, the jump fails.  If there's some way to trick the destination grid into seeing only the external IP of my local machines, I haven't figured it out.

Not sure that helps but definitely read Diva's explanation.  :)

On Fri, Nov 22, 2013 at 7:25 AM, allex <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Thanks Chris,

That article does shed some more light on this subject, I will setup a ROBUS server and recheck my
domain and NS hopefully I will get a better result.  Will post my results here.

Allex