Hippo Viewer Grid List Location

Robert Klein
I need to pre-populate the grid list in Hippo 0.5.1 with my behind the firewall grid so people do not have to add it manually. What file contains the list of grids?

Thanks,

-Robert

Re: Hippo Viewer Grid List Location

Jacek Antonelli
The default grids list is stored in app_settings/default_grids.xml.
You can add your grid to that file to pre-populate the list.

HTH :)

- Jacek

On Fri, Apr 9, 2010 at 9:11 PM, Robert Klein <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I need to pre-populate the grid list in Hippo 0.5.1 with my behind the
> firewall grid so people do not have to add it manually. What file contains
> the list of grids?
>
> Thanks,
>
> -Robert

Re: Hippo Viewer Grid List Location

Robert Klein
Thanks for the quick reply Jacek. I looked at the file and it does not have any of the grids listed that are in my current grid list other than osgrid and second life. This file has only 3 listed and mine currently contains 15 that I have already setup. When you add a grid to the list where does it store that info?

-Robert

Re: Hippo Viewer Grid List Location

Jacek Antonelli
Your custom grid list is stored in a file called "grid_info.xml",
located in your "user_settings" directory. The exact location depends
on your operating system. We've got a list of the locations for
Imprudence's "user_settings" directory on our wiki, and I assume Hippo
stores them in a similar location (but more Hippo-ish, or perhaps
Second Life-ish):

  http://imprudenceviewer.org/wiki/Settings_File

You can copy the grid entries directly out of the "grid_info.xml"
file, and into the "default_grids.xml" file; the format of the two
files is the same.

- Jacek

On Fri, Apr 9, 2010 at 10:03 PM, Robert Klein <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thanks for the quick reply Jacek. I looked at the file and it does not have
> any of the grids listed that are in my current grid list other than osgrid
> and second life. This file has only 3 listed and mine currently contains 15
> that I have already setup. When you add a grid to the list where does it
> store that info?
>
> -Robert

Re: Hippo Viewer Grid List Location

Robert Klein
Ah it is stored under the user's Application Data folder but not in the Program Files folder. Any way to set a command line switch to point at the file if it resides in the Hippo program folder? I was hoping users could just drag and drop a single folder, double click on the Hippo_OpenSim_Viewer.exe file then login. I tried using the -loginuri option in the properties but Hippo does not seem to be responding to it. Thanks for pointing out there is another folder related to the Hippo user settings. Is the default_grids.xml file located in the app_settings folder deprecated and not used?

-Robert

Re: Hippo Viewer Grid List Location

Jacek Antonelli
default_grids.xml is the list of grids the viewer starts with. But,
usually it supplements its list from this web page when the viewer
launches:

  http://opensim-viewer.sourceforge.net/db/grids.php

So, if you put your grids in default_grids.xml, they will appear in
the viewer's list, along with the grids downloaded from that web page.

If you want to, it's also possible to tweak the viewer settings (no
recompile needed) so it doesn't download any more grids from the web,
so that *only* your grids will be on the list. We had someone ask how
to do that for Imprudence recently. The instructions should apply to
Hippo as well:

  http://imprudenceviewer.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=359

- Jacek

On Sat, Apr 10, 2010 at 12:14 PM, Robert Klein <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Ah it is stored under the user's Application Data folder but not in the
> Program Files folder. Any way to set a command line switch to point at the
> file if it resides in the Hippo program folder? I was hoping users could
> just drag and drop a single folder, double click on the
> Hippo_OpenSim_Viewer.exe file then login. I tried using the -loginuri option
> in the properties but Hippo does not seem to be responding to it. Thanks for
> pointing out there is another folder related to the Hippo user settings. Is
> the default_grids.xml file located in the app_settings folder deprecated and
> not used?
>
> -Robert

Re: Hippo Viewer Grid List Location

Shipton sands
This post was updated on .
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: Hippo Viewer Grid List Location

Robert Klein
Jacek thank you it worked perfectly! A clear and concise solution.

Shipton, I am trying to roll this out to about 2000 internal employees who have never even heard of a virtual world much less trying to understand how to add a grid using the grid manager. By giving them a simple process of double clicking on the Hippo icon, enter your user name and password, then click the login button will ensure successful entry and eliminate several chances to incorrectly enter grid info. I am also taking away the Grids button too.

-Robert