How can this patent be valid.....

BoneZ
This seems to include many aspects of what opensim already does....
https://www.google.com/patents/US8621368?dq=new+world+studio+patent&hl=en&sa=X&ei=WCGiU66BGcTvoAS7sYHQDw&ved=0CCoQ6AEwAg

Anyone know anything about this??

Re: How can this patent be valid.....

Wade Schuette
Yeah, reading the 2 primary claims, I can't believe this patent could possibly stand up to a challenge.   It attempts to claim any 2-or-more player video game or world, with players on different computers.     Supposedly the examiner compared it to a list of a hundred similar patents and found some difference.

Just looking at Minecraft should have been enough to toss it out,  let alone Second Life and Open Sim.

I'm not a patent attorney, but I do have one patent and read quite a bit when I applied for it and went through all that.   This one is fluff.  There's been a lot of fluff lately.

The first time they try to sue anyone for infringement they'll find out.  Or maybe they hope they'll get $10,000 per client to just "go away."

First impression though, is that the patent examiner should be fired.

On Wed, Jun 18, 2014 at 5:09 PM, BoneZ <[hidden email]> wrote:
This seems to include many aspects of what opensim already does....
https://www.google.com/patents/US8621368?dq=new+world+studio+patent&hl=en&sa=X&ei=WCGiU66BGcTvoAS7sYHQDw&ved=0CCoQ6AEwAg

Anyone know anything about this??

R. Wade Schuette, CDP, MBA, MPH
698 Monterey Ave
Morro Bay CA 93442
cell: 1 (734) 635-0508
fax:  1 (734) 864-0318

Re: How can this patent be valid.....

BoneZ
And more ....

How can someone obtain patents on such general work... much of this
seems to directly conflict with what opensim is doing...
https://www.google.com/search?tbo=p&tbm=pts&hl=en&q=inassignee:%22Brian+Shuster%22#hl=en&q=inassignee%3A%22Brian+Shuster%22&start=10&tbm=pts

I remember when the guy from spoton was filing patents... the entire
community was in an uproar.
Seems this guy and New World studios has gone under the radar?

On 6/18/2014 8:09 PM, BoneZ wrote:

> This seems to include many aspects of what opensim already does....
> https://www.google.com/patents/US8621368?dq=new+world+studio+patent&hl=en&sa=X&ei=WCGiU66BGcTvoAS7sYHQDw&ved=0CCoQ6AEwAg
>

> Anyone know anything about this??

Re: How can this patent be valid.....

Diva Canto
Please do not send links, or discuss, patents in any of the mailing
lists hosted at OpenSimulator.org. We (the developers of opensim) don't
want to know about any of that. Please find another forum to discuss
patents. Open source development and patents don't mix.

An old, but still relevant, personal plea for users of OpenSim who
consider filing patents:
http://metaverseink.com/blog/?p=30

It breaks my heart (in a very angry kind of heartbreak) to see OpenSim
users doing this kind of thing.

On 6/18/2014 5:09 PM, BoneZ wrote:

> This seems to include many aspects of what opensim already does....
> https://www.google.com/patents/US8621368?dq=new+world+studio+patent&hl=en&sa=X&ei=WCGiU66BGcTvoAS7sYHQDw&ved=0CCoQ6AEwAg
>

> Anyone know anything about this??

Re: How can this patent be valid.....

Wade Schuette
 Yeesh, it's expensive to challenge a stupid patent.
http://postgrant-counsel.com/challenging-bad-patents-2/

Nevertheless,  the claims of this patent should have been thrown out as well on the prior art called "weather radar" in which 2 or  more client radars indicate changes in virtual representations of data.

On Wed, Jun 18, 2014 at 5:21 PM, Wade Schuette <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

cell: <a href="tel:1%20%28734%29%20635-0508" value="+17346350508" target="_blank">1 (734) 635-0508
fax:  <a href="tel:1%20%28734%29%20864-0318" value="+17348640318" target="_blank">1 (734) 864-0318

R. Wade Schuette, CDP, MBA, MPH
698 Monterey Ave
Morro Bay CA 93442
cell: 1 (734) 635-0508
fax:  1 (734) 864-0318

Re: How can this patent be valid.....

BoneZ
My apologies.

On 6/18/2014 8:28 PM, Diva Canto wrote:

> Please do not send links, or discuss, patents in any of the mailing
> lists hosted at OpenSimulator.org. We (the developers of opensim)
> don't want to know about any of that. Please find another forum to
> discuss patents. Open source development and patents don't mix.
>
> An old, but still relevant, personal plea for users of OpenSim who
> consider filing patents:
> http://metaverseink.com/blog/?p=30
>
> It breaks my heart (in a very angry kind of heartbreak) to see OpenSim
> users doing this kind of thing.
>

> On 6/18/2014 5:09 PM, BoneZ wrote:
>> This seems to include many aspects of what opensim already does....
>> https://www.google.com/patents/US8621368?dq=new+world+studio+patent&hl=en&sa=X&ei=WCGiU66BGcTvoAS7sYHQDw&ved=0CCoQ6AEwAg
>>

>> Anyone know anything about this??

Re: How can this patent be valid.....

Melanie
Please note - everyone posting any kind of follow up to this topic
whatsoever will be moderated.

- Melanie