How is "Date/Time" Recorded in the Database?

How is "Date/Time" Recorded in the Database?

Len W. Brown
Hi Everyone!

     Do any of you know how OpenSim saves time in the database?

     Here's the situation - I started a brand new fully updated "bleeding edge" OpenSim server at home on November 1st.  The region shows it was created on Nov 1st but after creating a new skin, shape, etc for my new avatar - I noticed my avatar profile says it was created on November 2nd.

     In the database for my avatar is the following: 1257137090 to represent when the avatar was created.  I suppose I could make the number slightly smaller in the database and see what happens, but if there is some "basic and simple" means that the current date is encoded, what is it?  I want my avatar to also show a birthday of November 1, like the region it's building...

Any hints?

Thanks!

- Len W. Brown

Re: How is "Date/Time" Recorded in the Database?

Chris Hart

Sounds like a timezone conflict between where your server thinks it is and where your client thinks you are when it converts to human-readable time.

The number in the database is Epoch time which means the time is nice and universal and timezone-independant:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unix_time

http://www.epochconverter.com/

Hope that helps,

Chris

Re: How is "Date/Time" Recorded in the Database?

Len W. Brown
WARNING:

     Thankfully I am religious about making backups.  I made a backup of my database just before asking about the time/date question.

     I just tried this twice to make sure it is not a quirk...

     I shut down OpenSim.  Then went into the database and changed the "birthday" of my avatare to 1257076800 which is November 1, 2009 12:00:00 (noon).  I then saved the change in the database then restarted OpenSim.

Two things:

     My avatar is the default Ruth (with a birthday of Nov 1)

     My entire inventory is gone.

Again, thankfully I had a backup (whew!).  I shut everything down and restored from backup twice - both times logging in and  my custom avatar was intact.  Each time I changed the birthday in the database it turned my avatar to Ruth and killed my entire inventory.

     I'm guessing "maybe" the issue is that the time stamp I gave the avatar is prior to the time stamp when I actually set everything up - it was in the late evening of Nov 1st.

     So at least I have a backup - so everything is running perfectly again.

     Any suggestions on why the date change for teh AV killed everything else?

     Of note also - everything in-world was still there, and the textual stuff I'd added to my avatar's profile was also intact.

- Len W. Brown
     [hidden email]
On Mon, Nov 2, 2009 at 1:32 PM, Len Brown <[hidden email]> wrote:
Very cool and thank you very much.  Wow, I didn't expect such a quick reply.

Much appreciated!

On Mon, Nov 2, 2009 at 1:31 PM, Chris Hart <[hidden email]> wrote:

Sounds like a timezone conflict between where your server thinks it is and where your client thinks you are when it converts to human-readable time.

The number in the database is Epoch time which means the time is nice and universal and timezone-independant:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unix_time

http://www.epochconverter.com/

Hope that helps,

Chris

Re: How is "Date/Time" Recorded in the Database?

Len W. Brown
I changed the avatar birthdate by only 10 seconds and it still killed my inventory and made my avatar Ruth.

I'm going to check some other things in the database and see what I can come up with.  There must be something linked to the avatar birthdate for it to break everything like this.
- Len
On Mon, Nov 2, 2009 at 1:53 PM, Len Brown <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

drwhiet@spacefriends.de
sounds interesting .. by changing outside surrounding .. you mean to completely
change/replace the OSGRID provided textures for sky and ocean ? hmm there we
could need some infos from the people with deeper knowledge of the sim source.

the "create a box and live in it" (i do not say this is a bad idea as i have also an
island with 6 of those 256x256 boxes each on top of each other for differnt worlds)
is for a start a very good idea. so you can test if you like the new surrounding ..

but i dont think the sorrounding (blue to black sky) is replaceable because of sun/moon phases .. ?

best regards
Wordfromthe Wise