How many user I know to connect?

Oliver Guerino
Hi,
I'm working with OpenSim. I need to know how many connections OpenSim supports.
My server is a Quad Core Xeon 2.2 Ghz with 12GB of RAM.
The operational system installed is OpenSuse 64bits and the OpenSim is 0.6.9rc2.

I'm doing many test for to know the OpenSim limits, but I have a problem. When I try connect with my users(bot client) I  connected only about 10 users walking.

The error log is "(OpenSim.exe:16347): WARNING **: exception inside UnhandledException handler: Out of memory".

Someone could me say how many users I will know to connect with this hardware?

Thanks a lot.
Oliver

Re: How many user I know to connect?

drwhiet@spacefriends.de
I have the same machinepower (slightly better) only half the RAM with Windows 2003 Server. i had connected about
20 Users with no Memory Exeption .. 12 GB RAM is just Wow !  Do you host it at home or in a Datacenter ?
MY experience and that of others is that WINDOWS/.NET handles RAM much better than UNIX/MONO.
mayby it is a MONO issue (btw. which MONO do you run) or i suspect its a isue with the bots.

best regards
Wordfromthe Wise

Re: How many user I know to connect?

Master_Mirage
Another possable resion is mono isant allowing enough threads. I had a situation like that b4. As far as how many, i think OSGrid has the current record of 88 connected in one region at the same time It may be higher now though. Anyway you may want to have a look at threads and also stackheap limmits in mono. Your system sounds more than able to handle about whatever is thrown at it.
Our record is at 58 users but thats all we could scrape up at the time but that was on win32 at an older rev..
Our New Web Page
Http://www.TritonGrid.com

Re: How many user I know to connect?

Oliver Guerino
Ok.

I configured the cache with Cenome in my OpenSim. Apparently some things are best that before.
I dont use the conventionals clients how Hippo or SL. My client is a bot(pcambot).
Is a dream try to connect around 50 or 60 users with this hardware?

How many users I get to connect about?

best regards
Oliver

2010/5/10 Master_Mirage <[hidden email]>

Another possable resion is mono isant allowing enough threads. I had a
situation like that b4. As far as how many, i think OSGrid has the current
record of 88 connected in one region at the same time It may be higher now
though. Anyway you may want to have a look at threads and also stackheap
limmits in mono. Your system sounds more than able to handle about whatever
is thrown at it.
Our record is at 58 users but thats all we could scrape up at the time but
that was on win32 at an older rev..

-----
Our New Web Page
Http://www.TritonGrid.com

Re: How many user I know to connect?

Master_Mirage
<quote author="Oliver Guerino">
Ok.

I configured the cache with Cenome in my OpenSim. Apparently some things are
best that before.
I dont use the conventionals clients how Hippo or SL. My client is a
bot(pcambot).
Is a dream try to connect around 50 or 60 users with this hardware?

How many users I get to connect about?

best regards
Oliver

You may want to use flotsum as it will not use RAM and is probably a better choice with that many users.
If your launching the bots or clients on the same box as your running opensimulator on then that may be where all your ram went 1t also can lead to sad but amusing problems. Normaly you shouldent run clients on the same computer as the sim host is on.
In the flotsom config you will also NOT want RAM option and just use the HD caching only.
Your system seem's quite able to handle that many users, we have had many on with a less powerfull server and had no big problems.

Our New Web Page
Http://www.TritonGrid.com

Re: How many user I know to connect?

Oliver Guerino
Hi,
Thanks for help me.
I configured the FlotsamCache. Really the performance is very best.
Really I get  connected 45 users. My users comes on PlanetLab's Network.
What is the ideal configuration for my situation?
Is it possible one few more than 45 users, around 60?

[...]

Mic Bowman
Oliver,

How are you using PlanetLab to get the users on? Are you hosting regions on PlanetLab nodes?

--mic

On Tue, May 11, 2010 at 7:50 AM, Oliver Guerino <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Mic,

My region is in my university and it's a physical server. Only my clients are on PlanetLab. I'm using o client pcampbot.

I get to connected 50 users .. :)

Oliver