How to create a corded telephone with a movable cord?

How to create a corded telephone with a movable cord?

Han Xu
Hi,

I am wondering if it is possible to realize this effect in OpenSim:
1. A handset connects to the telephone via a cord.
2. The cord must always at one end connect to the headphone and at another end to the telephone.
3. The user can pick up the handset (NOT the entire telephone set) and when a handset is picked up, the cord remains connecting to the handset and the telephone.

Is it too ambitious?

Thanks!

Cheers,
Han

Re: How to create a corded telephone with a movable cord?

Michael Emory Cerquoni
use particles? its not a perfect solution, but if you know what your doing it can be pretty convincing.

On Thu, Mar 22, 2012 at 8:10 PM, Han Xu <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

I am wondering if it is possible to realize this effect in OpenSim:
1. A handset connects to the telephone via a cord.
2. The cord must always at one end connect to the headphone and at another end to the telephone.
3. The user can pick up the handset (NOT the entire telephone set) and when a handset is picked up, the cord remains connecting to the handset and the telephone.

Is it too ambitious?

Thanks!

Cheers,
Han

Michael Emory Cerquoni - Nebadon Izumi @ http://osgrid.org

Re: How to create a corded telephone with a movable cord?

InuYasha Meiji
I have to be cheaky on this one.  You just want to find out if we can do
a better job at creating dog collars in opensim.  (Chuckling).  But I
would like to see this effect better done too.  Mostly for properly
connected boat anchors and bouy cords and even decent looking kite strings.

You friend,
InuYasha.

On 3/22/2012 11:10 PM, Han Xu wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am wondering if it is possible to realize this effect in OpenSim:
> 1. A handset connects to the telephone via a cord.
> 2. The cord must always at one end connect to the headphone and at
> another end to the telephone.
> 3. The user can pick up the handset (NOT the entire telephone set) and
> when a handset is picked up, the cord remains connecting to the
> handset and the telephone.
>

> Is it too ambitious?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Cheers,
> Han

Opensim User: Standalone Grid on Version 0.7.2 with 56 Regions
on Windows 7, 64-bit. Phenom 9500 2.2 ghz Quad Core, Terabyte Hard
Drive, 8gig DDR2 RAM.  Used XAMPP to load PHP Version 5.3.0, Apache
and MySQL 5.1.41-community edition.  Groups, Profiles, Voice and
Offline Mesages all working.

Re: How to create a corded telephone with a movable cord?

Dr Ramesh Ramloll
Hi Han,
First thing that came to my mind is using flexi prims, but that won't
work. I tried connecting 3 prims, made the middle flexi and moved one
end ... the connection breaks at one of the flexi prim's end.
Second option, try particles ... connecting the headset to 'telephone'
... that is the most doable visible indication of connection according
to me.

On Thu, Mar 22, 2012 at 9:10 PM, Han Xu <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am wondering if it is possible to realize this effect in OpenSim:
> 1. A handset connects to the telephone via a cord.
> 2. The cord must always at one end connect to the headphone and at another
> end to the telephone.
> 3. The user can pick up the handset (NOT the entire telephone set) and when
> a handset is picked up, the cord remains connecting to the handset and the
> telephone.
>

> Is it too ambitious?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Cheers,
> Han

Rameshsharma Ramloll PhD, CEO CTO DeepSemaphore LLC, Affiliate
Research Associate Professor, Idaho State University, Pocatello, ID
83209 Tel: 208-240-0040
Blog, LinkedIn, DeepSemaphore LLC, Google+ profile

Re: How to create a corded telephone with a movable cord?

Wade Schuette
If there is physics support for a hanging rope (or chain or cord or elastic band) connected at both ends,  I have never seen it, and I've looked for it many times, for swings and ropes connecting my sailboat to the pier, etc.

If someone else has seen this work, let us know!  Maybe there's some way to do it with "mesh" objects these days.

Flexiprims only connect at one end, and you can't chain them together.  Chains of links don't work because, well, physics is pretty bad -- they tend to explode or do other strange things.

You could fake the appearance of a cord by having a photograph of a hanging cord on a flat prim, and very cleverly stretching and rotating the prim -- but that would only work if you knew where both ends of the cord should be, and,  as you either know or will find out soon,   the avatar and attachments are all managed on the CLIENT, and the SERVER only knows where the avatar center of mass is,  let alone where an arm is, or a hand, or a held object like a handset.

And, there is no way to have a held handset report its region coordinates, because it doesn't know itself where it is. If you ask for llGetPos() or something, you get the coordinates of the center of mass of the avatar.   Sigh.

So,  basically, no, there is no good way to have anything that looks like a realistic cord connecting two objects,  at all (unless mesh does it), let alone one object that is an attachment and another object that is not an attachment, that I know of.

Wade

On 3/22/12 8:10 PM, Han Xu wrote:
Hi,

I am wondering if it is possible to realize this effect in OpenSim:
1. A handset connects to the telephone via a cord.
2. The cord must always at one end connect to the headphone and at another end to the telephone.
3. The user can pick up the handset (NOT the entire telephone set) and when a handset is picked up, the cord remains connecting to the handset and the telephone.

Is it too ambitious?

Thanks!

Cheers,
Han

Re: How to create a corded telephone with a movable cord?

Han Xu
um, well, I think I should think about more realistic stuff to implement ;-)

Thank for your explanation!

Han

On 3/22/12 8:10 PM, Han Xu wrote:
Hi,

I am wondering if it is possible to realize this effect in OpenSim:
1. A handset connects to the telephone via a cord.
2. The cord must always at one end connect to the headphone and at another end to the telephone.
3. The user can pick up the handset (NOT the entire telephone set) and when a handset is picked up, the cord remains connecting to the handset and the telephone.

Is it too ambitious?

Thanks!

Cheers,
Han

Re: How to create a corded telephone with a movable cord?

Wade Schuette
Here's a reference to particle chains including someone saying they can get from an attachment to a rezzed prim.

http://community.secondlife.com/t5/Scripting/Link-two-prims-with-a-particle-chain/td-p/335119

another post said:
"the best way to go is to take a trip to The Particle Laboratory, not only will it walk you through all the settings,  but there is also a free easy to edit script provided .

But... I think this would produce a straight-line connection,  which would look more like a stretched rubber-band than a dangling, floppy chain or cord.

  Thanks Trinity !

On 3/22/12 8:10 PM, Han Xu wrote:
Hi,

I am wondering if it is possible to realize this effect in OpenSim:
1. A handset connects to the telephone via a cord.
2. The cord must always at one end connect to the headphone and at another end to the telephone.
3. The user can pick up the handset (NOT the entire telephone set) and when a handset is picked up, the cord remains connecting to the handset and the telephone.

Is it too ambitious?

Thanks!

Cheers,
Han

Re: How to create a corded telephone with a movable cord?

Miller, Peter

Possibly worth trying:

http://lslwiki.net/lslwiki/wakka.php?wakka=LibraryRopeConstraint

Best wishes

Peter

Re: How to create a corded telephone with a movable cord?

Karen Palen
HMMM _don't know how things are in China. but in most of the world "recreational" BDSM is very real!

Try http://www.arizonapowerexchange.org/ for a realistic view of this genre.

Karen
(MISTRESS of all she surveys!)

On 3/22/12 8:10 PM, Han Xu wrote:
Hi,

I am wondering if it is possible to realize this effect in OpenSim:
1. A handset connects to the telephone via a cord.
2. The cord must always at one end connect to the headphone and at another end to the telephone.
3. The user can pick up the handset (NOT the entire telephone set) and when a handset is picked up, the cord remains connecting to the handset and the telephone.

Is it too ambitious?

Thanks!

Cheers,
Han

Re: How to create a corded telephone with a movable cord?

nlin-2
>>     On 3/22/12 8:10 PM, Han Xu wrote:
>>>     I am wondering if it is possible to realize this effect in OpenSim:
>>>     1. A handset connects to the telephone via a cord.
>>>     2. The cord must always at one end connect to the headphone and
>>>     at another end to the telephone.
>>>     3. The user can pick up the handset (NOT the entire telephone
>>>     set) and when a handset is picked up, the cord remains connecting
>>>     to the handset and the telephone.

A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away, I started to add ODE
joints to OpenSim, in an option called NINJA Physics. This allowed
things like swing sets, simple ropes, or blocky ragdolls to be
animated. Sample videos can be seen here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nirTXPO-opE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QD4R1j1Ldok

The second video shows the physics playground contents I created that
includes some rope-like structures.

I'm not sure if the code still works or not (it's probably not been
used or maintained in a long time), but it may be a useful starting
point for experimentation.

-Norman (nlin)

Re: How to create a corded telephone with a movable cord?

Michael Emory Cerquoni
I was going to mention Ninja, but from my testing things can go very wrong and bad if the use is not very controlled, like if a ninja linkset goes off the edge of the sim, things can go horribly wrong to the point the simulator will not start up anymore without editing these lost prims out of the database.  Its certainly something you could experiment with, you just need to be very careful, in my sandbox i have put up big walls, and when i am playing with Ninja physics i even put up a secondary barrier to capture the ninja prims in case things go wonky.

On Sun, Mar 25, 2012 at 6:05 PM, nlin <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>     On 3/22/12 8:10 PM, Han Xu wrote:
>>>     I am wondering if it is possible to realize this effect in OpenSim:
>>>     1. A handset connects to the telephone via a cord.
>>>     2. The cord must always at one end connect to the headphone and
>>>     at another end to the telephone.
>>>     3. The user can pick up the handset (NOT the entire telephone
>>>     set) and when a handset is picked up, the cord remains connecting
>>>     to the handset and the telephone.

A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away, I started to add ODE
joints to OpenSim, in an option called NINJA Physics. This allowed
things like swing sets, simple ropes, or blocky ragdolls to be
animated. Sample videos can be seen here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nirTXPO-opE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QD4R1j1Ldok

The second video shows the physics playground contents I created that
includes some rope-like structures.

I'm not sure if the code still works or not (it's probably not been
used or maintained in a long time), but it may be a useful starting
point for experimentation.

-Norman (nlin)

Michael Emory Cerquoni - Nebadon Izumi @ http://osgrid.org

Re: How to create a corded telephone with a movable cord?

Wade Schuette
Assuming you could render a rigged mesh, it would work between two prims, which would be very useful, but I don't see how it would work between an attachment ( phone handset) and a rezzed prim ( the phone base.).  There's still the problem that the server has no idea where the avatar's hand or attachments are, as that's all done on the client, no?

On 3/25/12 3:08 AM, M.E. Verhagen wrote:
a rigged mesh would be the perfect solution, but i do nit know if there are already viewers wich render those.

--
Groningen en Hannover Opensims:   <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="secondlife://meverhagen.nl:8002:Hannover">secondlife://meverhagen.nl:8002:Hannover ZW/

Re: How to create a corded telephone with a movable cord?

James Hughes
Wiki Page here - http://opensimulator.org/wiki/NINJA_Physics

2012/3/27, Nebadon Izumi <[hidden email]>:
> I was going to mention Ninja, but from my testing things can go very wrong
> and bad if the use is not very controlled, like if a ninja linkset goes off
> the edge of the sim, things can go horribly wrong to the point the
> simulator will not start up anymore without editing these lost prims out of
> the database.

Thanks for that report. I hazily recall that there were unresolved
issues with to persisting of in-simulation jointed assemblies, which
is probably related to (if not the same thing as) what needs to be
done when linked assemblies cross sim boundaries. It's an interesting
problem to think about - how would you move one half of an
in-simulation rope into one region while leaving the other half, also
being simulated, in another region? It may be possible with some
fooling around with kinematic constaints on the prims that are at the
region boundary. But then what if the neighbor region goes down, or
even worse, is restored later with a conflicting physical state - one
region says the common segment of the rope is at the NE corner, while
the other region says it's at the SE corner... etc, etc.

>  Its certainly something you could experiment with, you just
> need to be very careful, in my sandbox i have put up big walls, and when i
> am playing with Ninja physics i even put up a secondary barrier to capture
> the ninja prims in case things go wonky.

Heh, sounds like a good plan - a containment vessel for exploding prims. :-)

Maybe it would be possible in the code to prevent assemblies from ever
crossing region boundaries unless and until a mechanism is designed to
allow proper crossing. Prims hitting the boundary would bounce back
against an invisible planar constraint. Intuitively, it seems like it
shouldn't be so hard to do, but I haven't looked at the code in a
while...

-Norman (nlin)

Re: How to create a corded telephone with a movable cord?

yanna
Hi nlin-2
I have a suggestion you might consider. For something similar I use the Lockguard system. It connects chains and ropes and has a gravity feature too. It can be used to connect prims.