How to create a full backup

Olli Aro
Administrator

Hi all,

I am currently working on a backup process for my standalone opensim installation. I know that I need to create a database dump for the database, but does anyone have the list of files in the file system I should also include in my backup (such as /regions/ and opensim.ini)?

Regards,

Olli

Re: How to create a full backup

FrankNichols
You probably want to backup *_Config.xml from the bin directory also -
saves having to manually enter all that on restore...

Frank

> Message: 1
> Date: Tue, 23 Jun 2009 09:36:46 -0500
> From: James Stallings II <[hidden email]>
> Subject: Re: [Opensim-users] How to create a full backup
> To: [hidden email]
>
> If you are  unconcerned with backing up the binaries, and are backing up
> your db directly, then it's  config-include/*  Regions/*  and  OpenSim.ini
>
> On Tue, Jun 23, 2009 at 3:22 AM, Olli Aro <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>>  Hi all,
>>

>> I am currently working on a backup process for my standalone opensim
>> installation. I know that I need to create a database dump for the database,
>> but does anyone have the list of files in the file system I should also
>> include in my backup (such as /regions/ and opensim.ini)?
>>

>> Regards,
>>

>> Olli

Re: How to create a full backup

Olli Aro
Administrator
My version does not have bin directory or _Config.xml files. I assume they
have been removed in later versions?

Also, I noticed that some of the data such as inventory is stored in XML.

So, if I backup all XML files, opensim.ini and the database, would that be
enough to restore?

Regards,

Olli

You probably want to backup *_Config.xml from the bin directory also -
saves having to manually enter all that on restore...

Frank

> Message: 1
> Date: Tue, 23 Jun 2009 09:36:46 -0500
> From: James Stallings II <[hidden email]>
> Subject: Re: [Opensim-users] How to create a full backup
> To: [hidden email]
>
> If you are  unconcerned with backing up the binaries, and are backing up
> your db directly, then it's  config-include/*  Regions/*  and  OpenSim.ini
>
> On Tue, Jun 23, 2009 at 3:22 AM, Olli Aro <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>>  Hi all,
>>

>> I am currently working on a backup process for my standalone opensim
>> installation. I know that I need to create a database dump for the
database,

>> but does anyone have the list of files in the file system I should also
>> include in my backup (such as /regions/ and opensim.ini)?
>>

>> Regards,
>>

>> Olli

Re: How to create a full backup

Torrid Luna
Hi Olli, hi @all,

Also sprach Olli Aro ([hidden email]):

> My version does not have bin directory or _Config.xml files. I assume they
> have been removed in later versions?

You don't have (or need) the *_Config.xml if you don't run your own
UGAIM-Server. Also, if your Opensim runs from a precompiled / downloaded
snapshot, the bin-Directory usually is your opensim-Directory (where you
find the Opensim.exe).

Here's a snippet from my current update script:

BCKPFILES="config-include/ *Server_Config.xml estate_settings.xml
AssetInventoryServer.ini Hypergrid/ Regions/ *\.db OpenSim.ini
startup_commands.txt mysql_connection.ini"

> Also, I noticed that some of the data such as inventory is stored in XML.

There are currently 4 useful ways to backup Sim content: XML, OAR,
dumping the database content into SQL, or saving the DB binaries
directly. (Note, this is only the data, not the configuration files, see
above.)

For the virtyou MetaGrid we run nightly snapshots via OAR and PNG, and
weekly sql dumps of the MySQL databases. All config files are backupped
before each version update of the Opensim binaries.

> So, if I backup all XML files, opensim.ini and the database, would that be
> enough to restore?

No. ;-) At least you need to add the config-include/ directory, for
current installations. Also I decided to refrain from doing binary DB
copies, since this is virtyoually unparsable in case of an error.
Instead we mirror all databases to another server and do plain (and
slow) SQL dumps there.

Cheers,
Torrid
--
Excerpts of "10000 Shell Scripts" -- today: monkeytypewriter
$ cat /dev/random | strings | fmt | less