How to eliminate/change avatar 'step' sounds?

How to eliminate/change avatar 'step' sounds?

Dr Ramesh Ramloll
Hello
I have been wondering if anyone has found a way to eliminate the stepping sounds
when an avatar walks. The sounds could have been better I think but right now, they are very distracting. I am not sure if it is a viewer thing as well. Any help is welcome.
Is there a way to change the current opensim sound for stepping ... to something more natural for foot steps.
Thanks
Ramesh

Rameshsharma Ramloll PhD, CEO CTO DeepSemaphore LLC, Affiliate Research Associate Professor, Idaho State University, Pocatello, ID 83209 Tel: 208-240-0040

Re: How to eliminate/change avatar 'step' sounds?

Luisillo Contepomi-2
Hello Dr. Ramloll,
I've never had sound in steps.
 I have collisions sounds but never "steps sounds".

Can be a script in the shoes .
I am using Firestorm and Singularity
What viewer are you using? and look in shoes if you have a script.

Best regards,
Luisillo

El 25/08/2014 a las #4, Dr Ramesh Ramloll escribió:
Hello
I have been wondering if anyone has found a way to eliminate the stepping
sounds
when an avatar walks. The sounds could have been better I think but right
now, they are very distracting. I am not sure if it is a viewer thing as
well. Any help is welcome.
Is there a way to change the current opensim sound for stepping ... to
something more natural for foot steps.
Thanks
Ramesh

Este mensaje no contiene virus ni malware porque la protección de avast! Antivirus está activa.

Re: How to eliminate/change avatar 'step' sounds?

Dr Ramesh Ramloll
Hello there,
I use the latest singularity viewer, have no attachments on, actually my avatar is totally naked.
I recorded the sound I hear when I walk
Is this normal?
If this is normal, then it's pretty sad.
Ramesh

On Mon, Aug 25, 2014 at 2:57 AM, Luisillo Contepomi <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

R.Gunther
I dont hear it in my singularity 5617. possible i have disabled that sound
ask it in the secondlife singularity group gives you the best change on answhere.
I have looked but cannot find the setting. Or i pulled it manual out of some xml file.

Re: How to eliminate/change avatar 'step' sounds?

Toni Alatalo-2
I don't think it is :) .. perhaps physics is somehow working so that you get those collisions sounds when walking?

~Toni

On Mon, Aug 25, 2014 at 4:31 PM, Dr Ramesh Ramloll <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Rameshsharma Ramloll PhD, CEO CTO DeepSemaphore LLC, Affiliate Research Associate Professor, Idaho State University, Pocatello, ID 83209 Tel: <a href="tel:208-240-0040" value="+12082400040" target="_blank">208-240-0040

Re: How to eliminate/change avatar 'step' sounds?

Dr Ramesh Ramloll
Hi Toni,
So these sounds are collision sounds? I get them when I walk on the ground.
Is there a way to change collision sounds? Right now the collision sounds look very inappropriate ...?
Ramesh

On Mon, Aug 25, 2014 at 10:33 AM, Toni Alatalo <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

riebling
I remember reading that the 'material' setting of prims affects only one thing:
the sound that material makes when walked-upon. So you could,
for example, make a more metallic clanking sound walking on
a 'metal' prim, vs plastic, rubber, wood, glass.

I believe these are controlled by the 'ambient sounds' setting in
viewers. So what you walk on might be a factor. Your recording
sounds like the sound I've heard for walking on metal prims.

Re: How to eliminate/change avatar 'step' sounds?

Luisillo Contepomi-2
El 25/08/2014 a las #4, Dr Ramesh Ramloll escribió:
> So these sounds are collision sounds? I get them when I walk on the ground.
> Is there a way to change collision sounds? Right now the collision sounds
> look very inappropriate ...?

In my Singularity this sound is not collision sound is Interface sound.
When I press some button is the "clic" sound as your mp3.
Singularity Viewer (64 bit) 1.8.5 (5617) Jan 29 2014 00:07:05 (Singularity)

May be you are walking with the movement control on your screen... with
clicks.
Movements with arrows have not sound.
Regards,
Luisillo

---
Este mensaje no contiene virus ni malware porque la protección de avast! Antivirus está activa.

Re: How to eliminate/change avatar 'step' sounds?

Dr Ramesh Ramloll
Got this from Handy Low
So this is a REAL problem
and seems it was 'resolved' in Firestorm,
Singularity does not allow the footstep sound to be changed as far as I can tell.
I will either have to live with this 'machine gun/drum snare' sound ...especially when a crowd of NPCs are walking ... lol or just shut off ambient sound all together.

:( , guess it's one more of those things to live with.

On Mon, Aug 25, 2014 at 11:04 AM, Luisillo Contepomi <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Chris M
In ./bin/assets/CollisionSoundsAssetSet there exists some .ogg files there with various collision sounds. This is just a theory as I've not tried it myself but you may be able to replace the sound(s) there with a sound that is more appealing to you. There are quite a few in that directory though so it may take a bit of trial and error in finding the correct one. Make backups of the original sounds just in case you need to restore them and keep the original filename and format with the one you're replacing; They're all .ogg format as far as I can tell. Restart OpenSim, clear your viewer cache, log in and test :) Assuming the viewer uses the collision sounds from the server and does not produce them internally this may work.

Hope this helps!

On 8/25/2014 10:31 AM, Dr Ramesh Ramloll wrote:
[...]

OpenSim: 10 Region Standalone on 0.7.6 Dev
Physics: Open Dynamics Engine
OS: Windows 7 (x64)
CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 840 3.2 GHz
Memory: 11 GB DDR3
Database: MySQL 5.1.63 (x64)

Re: How to eliminate/change avatar 'step' sounds?

James Hughes
On Sun, 2014-08-24 at 19:11 -0400, Dr Ramesh Ramloll wrote:

> Hello
> I have been wondering if anyone has found a way to eliminate the
> stepping sounds
> when an avatar walks. The sounds could have been better I think but
> right now, they are very distracting. I am not sure if it is a viewer
> thing as well. Any help is welcome.
> Is there a way to change the current opensim sound for stepping ... to
> something more natural for foot steps.
> Thanks
> Ramesh

I hear them too in Singularity and Firestorm. Could it be Bulletsim and
mesh terrain?

Thanks,
BlueWall

Re: How to eliminate/change avatar 'step' sounds?

Dr Ramesh Ramloll
Nope, it's there even if Bulletsim is not used.
Ramesh