How to export to OpenSim

Diogo Luiz
Hello,
 I'm student of computer science and I need to know how to export from Google Skecthup to OpenSim. I already tried to use 3ds max, blender and AC3D, but this not was possible to do.
 Please, Im trying to do it by 3 days.
Thanks,
 Diogo Luiz.

Note: I have a .skp file, that was done by a other student and I need to export to OpenSim.

Re: How to export to OpenSim

Karen Palen
This may be a much deeper problems than you realize.

3ds max and blender at least normally use a "mesh" of points to represent a surface and hence an object, Second Life and OpenSimulator use somehting called "prims" to do the same thing.

From the wiki:

http://opensimulator.org/wiki/Artist_Home

Models are 3 dimensional objects which are formed from faces and textures. Models come in many flavors but currently OpenSimulator supports parametrized primitives and sculpted primitives. Parametrized primitives can be created in world with build functionality. Sculpted primitives are defined by a special bitmap image which can be created with 3d modeling programs which support sculptures.

Yet unsupported in core OpenSimulator are 3d models which can be created with 3d modeling softwares like Blender and be saved in various formats. RealXtend module to OpenSimulator already supports 3d models.

On Fri, Aug 27, 2010 at 9:39 AM, Diogo Luiz <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello,
 I'm student of computer science and I need to know how to export from Google Skecthup to OpenSim. I already tried to use 3ds max, blender and AC3D, but this not was possible to do.
 Please, Im trying to do it by 3 days.
Thanks,
 Diogo Luiz.

Note: I have a .skp file, that was done by a other student and I need to export to OpenSim.

Re: How to export to OpenSim

peter host-2
Hi Diogo

As Karen pointed, there's no easy way to take a polygonal/nurbs/subdiv
mesh to Opensim

Sketchlife for sketchup, some scripts for Maya that i've tested, all
simulate the built-in SL/Opensim " building" methods :
- textured primitives
- textured primitives with a displacement map (sculpt map, or
sculpties) which enable non standard shapes, with limitations. You
have to slice your model in several parts and try and make a sculpty
from each part (like a sphere with a displacement map, no more than
64x64) and try and align the displaced shapes and textures on the
compound object. Sketchup or other tools can help you there (one
texture spread other multiple objects).

All in all, it's a pain in the A.., and good support for Meshes are
one of the most users-awaited features in OS/SL

On Friday, August 27, 2010, Diogo Luiz <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello,
>  I'm student of computer science and I need to know how to export from Google Skecthup to OpenSim. I already tried to use 3ds max, blender and AC3D, but this not was possible to do.
>  Please, Im trying to do it by 3 days.
> Thanks,
>  Diogo Luiz.
>

> Note: I have a .skp file, that was done by a other student and I need to export to OpenSim.

Re: How to export to OpenSim

Toni Alatalo
On Aug 27, 2010, at 11:01 PM, Karen Palen <[hidden email]> wrote:

Yet unsupported in core OpenSimulator are 3d models which can be created with 3d modeling softwares like Blender and be saved in various formats. RealXtend module to OpenSimulator already supports 3d models.

A tutorial for bringing meshes from Sketchup to Opensim+modrex is at http://peterquirk.wordpress.com/2008/12/22/tutorial-using-the-streamlined-tool-chain-for-importing-sketchup-models-into-realxtend-04/

It doesn't matter too much that mesh support is still not in opensim core, 'cause like explained here earlier Opensim is not so much an end user product but a base for making distributions, like Diva's. And modrex is an add-on that works with standard opensim.

The opensim distro where modrex comes preinstalled is called Taiga. That and compatible viewers are available from http://www.realxtend.org/ . As of yesterday we finally provide also Linux binaries of the new Naali viewer, now at 0.3.0 - mac installer hopefully coming soon now as well.

Cheers,
-Toni

On Fri, Aug 27, 2010 at 9:39 AM, Diogo Luiz <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello,
 I'm student of computer science and I need to know how to export from Google Skecthup to OpenSim. I already tried to use 3ds max, blender and AC3D, but this not was possible to do.
 Please, Im trying to do it by 3 days.
Thanks,
 Diogo Luiz.

Note: I have a .skp file, that was done by a other student and I need to export to OpenSim.

Re: How to export to OpenSim

Opensimfan
I use "prim composer" for 3ds max this also supports sculpt...
http://liferain.com/downloads/primcomposer/

here some images
house_stand-alone_6016x3483_2_001

primcomposer-export_3dMax

primcomposer-normal-export-textured
OpenSimFan

My Opensim/Second Life Blog
http://verwijs.wordpress.com

(Dutch, basic hardware/software help windows, Mac, Linux)
http://verwijs-pc.nl

My Twitter Page:
http://twitter.com/OpenSimFan

My Facebook page (be my friend, please )
http://www.facebook.com/andre.verwijs

My Google+ page (follow me please )
André Verwijs - Google+

Re: How to export to OpenSim

Karen Palen
As a long time Poser enthusiast with 14Gb of Poser based models, I count myself as one of those eagerly awaiting mesh support!

Many of the "hooks" have been added to OS V0.7.xx, but there is still work to be done.

A great opportunity to contribute code and participate in the development process!

Karen

On la, 2010-08-28 at 02:23 -0700, Karen Palen wrote:
> As a long time Poser enthusiast with 14Gb of Poser based models, I
> count myself as one of those eagerly awaiting mesh support!

This begs the question - why not give the existing opensource tech for
opensim & meshes a try then?

You don't have to even install the rex module to your server if wan't to
try, 'cause the default realXtend test world at world.realxtend.org:9000
is configured with auth off and allows building, so works as a sandbox.
We also had a rex-enabled region on osgrid at a point, perhaps should
put it back on so you can just teleport.

I've experienced that testing out and doing things, like putting some of
your favourite meshes to a scene so that can walk around them, perhaps
attach some fun LSL to them etc., gives you more ideas of what can do
etc., so can be useful even if you don't up ending that tech for
production. BTW in rex you can also use skeletal animations in normal
meshes in the scene (not just avatars).

> Many of the "hooks" have been added to OS V0.7.xx, but there is still
> work to be done.

What do you mean? I haven't noticed, apart from Adam's SOG/SOP refactor
in that branch which is partly about changing the internals so that
things like prims and meshes can be implemented in modules (ModMesh,
ModPrim etc. that add those components and can be configured on/off
etc).

Sure it'll probably be great when Linden finally comes out of the closet
with their LLMesh support. I've personally been quite surprised that
it's been taking so long, after they started on it 1,5 years ago and
showing screenshots a year ago and people saying in early Feb this year
that it'd be out of the private testing in late Feb etc. But I guess
things are not so easy when you have a world to run with lots of people
using it etc.

So am curious if there's something stopping you now, and we can help if
there are questions or quirks along the road.

> Karen

~Toni

BTW: after we introduced the mesh support 2,5 years ago, we haven't been
just sitting on our hands but done some other things .. like full scene
export from blender & max & maya and friends, a new modular viewer with
a customizable UI, support for adding your own client side features in
plugins, and now finally support for arbitary data in scene entities
that is synched between the server & all clients so custom functionality
can use it all over .. we'll now improve the APIs and make new demos
during the rest of the year so can show something fun :)

It is all developed in the open, no behind closed doors dev or private
betas, and is open for suggestions and contributions etc .. so please
feel free to try and welcome to participate!

> On Fri, Aug 27, 2010 at 6:53 PM, peter host <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>         All in all, it's a pain in the A.., and good support for
>         Meshes are
>         one of the most users-awaited features in OS/SL

Re: How to export to OpenSim

Karen Palen
Well there are a couple of reasons why not, most of all is that I am involved with a bunch of RL things that take most of my time. The time I do get to spend here I have been using to bring up my own sim under V0.7.x

Last time I looked the  realXtend stuff (including the viewers) was Windows only and I use Linux almost exclusively for my software development now. One of the very few exceptions is a Win 7 partition devoted to Poser Pro.

It was Adam's stuff that I was referring to with the OS "hooks" - I have no idea about the specifics though.

From what I have been seeing with the current Linden Lab/Second Life drama(s) I sure wouldn't count on Second Life to do much of anything for a long time!

I monitor a web site that specializes in "restrcited" stocks like Linden Lab and I notice that they haven't even posted a bid on that stock since March. Even for a pre-IPO stock that is a very long time without any buyers - there is almost always someone willing to buy at a steep enough discount. This leads me to believe that the Linden Lab situation of far worse than anyone is admitting.

All of that being said, I do hope to get involved with your efforts (and maybe do some Linux/Ubuntu related support :-)  ) once other things settle down a little.

Karen

On Sat, Aug 28, 2010 at 4:52 AM, Toni Alatalo <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

export from blender & max & maya and friends, a new modular viewer with
a customizable UI, support for adding your own client side features in
plugins, and now finally support for arbitary data in scene entities
that is synched between the server & all clients so custom functionality
can use it all over .. we'll now improve the APIs and make new demos
during the rest of the year so can show something fun :)

It is all developed in the open, no behind closed doors dev or private
betas, and is open for suggestions and contributions etc .. so please
feel free to try and welcome to participate!

> On Fri, Aug 27, 2010 at 6:53 PM, peter host <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>         All in all, it's a pain in the A.., and good support for
>         Meshes are
>         one of the most users-awaited features in OS/SL

After sending this I decided to check the RealXtend web site - it still claims to be Windows only, but I see from your Wiki that you now have a Ubuntu .deb file!

Call this a need to update the main web site :-)

Karen

On Sat, Aug 28, 2010 at 6:13 AM, Karen Palen <[hidden email]> wrote:
Well there are a couple of reasons why not, most of all is that I am involved with a bunch of RL things that take most of my time. The time I do get to spend here I have been using to bring up my own sim under V0.7.x

Last time I looked the  realXtend stuff (including the viewers) was Windows only and I use Linux almost exclusively for my software development now. One of the very few exceptions is a Win 7 partition devoted to Poser Pro.

It was Adam's stuff that I was referring to with the OS "hooks" - I have no idea about the specifics though.

From what I have been seeing with the current Linden Lab/Second Life drama(s) I sure wouldn't count on Second Life to do much of anything for a long time!

On la, 2010-08-28 at 06:21 -0700, Karen Palen wrote:
> After sending this I decided to check the RealXtend web site - its
> still claims to be Windows only, but I see from your Wiki that you now
> have a Ubuntu .deb file!
> Call this a need to update the main web site :-)

Yep, we uploaded the .debs yesterday evening so not all info is
up-to-date yet elsewhere :) Some of the devs, like me, have done viewer
dev mostly on Linux since last February or so, so it's quite mature, and
we have a buildbot that verifies linux compile after every commit .. but
didn't get around to do release packages untill Jonne managed this week.

Glad you noticed, and please do report if you'll try - this is all still
pretty early stuff.

> Karen

~Toni

> [...]
>                 scene entities
>                 that is synched between the server & all clients so
>                 custom functionality
>                 can use it all over .. we'll now improve the APIs and
>                 make new demos
>                 during the rest of the year so can show something
>                 fun :)
>
>                 It is all developed in the open, no behind closed
>                 doors dev or private
>                 betas, and is open for suggestions and contributions
>                 etc .. so please
>                 feel free to try and welcome to participate!
>
>                 > On Fri, Aug 27, 2010 at 6:53 PM, peter host
>                 <[hidden email]>
>                 > wrote:
>                 >
>                 >         All in all, it's a pain in the A.., and good
>                 support for
>                 >         Meshes are
>                 >         one of the most users-awaited features in

Re: How to export to OpenSim

Dickson, Mike (ISS Software)
On a seperate note, the source page refers to a Subversion repo which
isnt live.  I did find the sources under git.  Taiga also.  I hope thats
the right place to get them?

Mike

On la, 2010-08-28 at 10:16 -0400, Mike Dickson wrote:
> On a seperate note, the source page refers to a Subversion repo which
> isnt live.  I did find the sources under git.  Taiga also.  I hope thats
> the right place to get them?

Yep they both live on github. I did add a link to the google code page
which used to host the svn to github to avoid confusion, but didn't know
that some direct link was elsewhere. Thanks for telling!

ModRex was untill recently in Opensim Forge SVN, but Mikko moved it to
github now too so that is easier to sync with opensim itself which also
uses git. It is configured as a git submodule in the taiga repo which
gets it automagically.

> Mike

~Toni

> [...]
> > >                 scene entities
> > >                 that is synched between the server & all clients so
> > >                 custom functionality
> > >                 can use it all over .. we'll now improve the APIs and
> > >                 make new demos
> > >                 during the rest of the year so can show something
> > >                 fun :)
> > >
> > >                 It is all developed in the open, no behind closed
> > >                 doors dev or private
> > >                 betas, and is open for suggestions and contributions
> > >                 etc .. so please
> > >                 feel free to try and welcome to participate!
> > >
> > >                 > On Fri, Aug 27, 2010 at 6:53 PM, peter host
> > >                 <[hidden email]>
> > >                 > wrote:
> > >                 >
> > >                 >         All in all, it's a pain in the A.., and good
> > >                 support for
> > >                 >         Meshes are
> > >                 >         one of the most users-awaited features in

When I was paid to do software development I had to use things like IE 6 and C#.

Now that I am retired (read busier than ever!) I do all my software under Linux - mostly Python of C++ - unless I am "hacking" some pre existing code.

I am inspired to wonder how had this would be to add the deb to a repository and make it really easy to install?

It might get a lot more attention from the Ubuntu community that way, I usually check the Ubuntu Software Center for a package before I look anywhere else!

I will definitely try your new release out once I have finished with my virtual world demo at for a sci-fi convention next weekend (Coppercon in Mesa AZ). I'm sure i will pick up a few obscure bugs too - I seem to have a talent for that. :-)

The link to my demo is: http://mars-simulator.hobby-site.org:9000/wifi

Karen

On Sat, Aug 28, 2010 at 7:14 AM, Toni Alatalo <[hidden email]> wrote:
On la, 2010-08-28 at 06:21 -0700, Karen Palen wrote:
> After sending this I decided to check the RealXtend web site - its
> still claims to be Windows only, but I see from your Wiki that you now
> have a Ubuntu .deb file!
> Call this a need to update the main web site :-)

Yep, we uploaded the .debs yesterday evening so not all info is
up-to-date yet elsewhere :) Some of the devs, like me, have done viewer
dev mostly on Linux since last February or so, so it's quite mature, and
we have a buildbot that verifies linux compile after every commit .. but
didn't get around to do release packages untill Jonne managed this week.

Glad you noticed, and please do report if you'll try - this is all still
pretty early stuff.

> Karen

~Toni

> [...]
>                 scene entities
>                 that is synched between the server & all clients so
>                 custom functionality
>                 can use it all over .. we'll now improve the APIs and
>                 make new demos
>                 during the rest of the year so can show something
>                 fun :)
>
>                 It is all developed in the open, no behind closed
>                 doors dev or private
>                 betas, and is open for suggestions and contributions
>                 etc .. so please
>                 feel free to try and welcome to participate!
>
>                 > On Fri, Aug 27, 2010 at 6:53 PM, peter host
>                 <[hidden email]>
>                 > wrote:
>                 >
>                 >         All in all, it's a pain in the A.., and good
>                 support for
>                 >         Meshes are
>                 >         one of the most users-awaited features in

Ideia Boa
Karen, try to change Imprudence-1.3.0-RC1 in your wifi screen by Imprudence-1.3.0-RC2, it is available now
I'm sure i will pick up a few obscure bugs too - I seem to have a talent for that too. ;-)

On 28-08-2010 6:35, Karen Palen wrote:
When I was paid to do software development I had to use things like IE 6 and C#.

Now that I am retired (read busier than ever!) I do all my software under Linux - mostly Python of C++ - unless I am "hacking" some pre existing code.

I am inspired to wonder how had this would be to add the deb to a repository and make it really easy to install?

It might get a lot more attention from the Ubuntu community that way, I usually check the Ubuntu Software Center for a package before I look anywhere else!

I will definitely try your new release out once I have finished with my virtual world demo at for a sci-fi convention next weekend (Coppercon in Mesa AZ). I'm sure i will pick up a few obscure bugs too - I seem to have a talent for that. :-)

The link to my demo is: http://mars-simulator.hobby-site.org:9000/wifi

Karen

ideiaboa.vcf (284 bytes) Download Attachment
Best regards
Ideia Boa
www.WorldSimTerra.com

Re: How to export to OpenSim

Toni Alatalo
On la, 2010-08-28 at 09:35 -0700, Karen Palen wrote:
> Now that I am retired (read busier than ever!) I do all my software
> under Linux - mostly Python of C++ - unless I am "hacking" some pre

BTW besides c++ written modules, you can also write new functionality to
Naali in Python as well. In fact some of the default features, like the
3d manipulators to move objects in-world, are written in py. That is for
trusted code that can do anything with the scene and the operating
system, like c++. We then use Javascript for untrusted code from the net
so can soon load e.g. custom camera contol code from the world you login
to etc. like it works on the web.

> I am inspired to wonder how had this would be to add the deb to a1
> repository and make it really easy to install?

I hope easy, and I hope it eventually makes it to the distributions
etc :)

> The link to my demo is: http://mars-simulator.hobby-site.org:9000/wifi

Thanks for info, will check out!

> Karen

~Toni

> [...]
>         >                 fun :)
>         >
>         >                 It is all developed in the open, no behind
>         closed
>         >                 doors dev or private
>         >                 betas, and is open for suggestions and
>         contributions
>         >                 etc .. so please
>         >                 feel free to try and welcome to participate!
>         >
>         >                 > On Fri, Aug 27, 2010 at 6:53 PM, peter
>         host
>         >                 <[hidden email]>
>         >                 > wrote:
>         >                 >
>         >                 >         All in all, it's a pain in the
>         A.., and good
>         >                 support for
>         >                 >         Meshes are
>         >                 >         one of the most users-awaited

According to Canonical, all you have to do is add a copy to their "launchpad" repository - I am sure there is more to it than that, and I will look into it ASAP (like after Sept 6 :-) )

If it is BSD/GPL licensed (i.e. unrestricted distribution) then you can add it to the "Community Maintained (universe) list and 99% of Ubuntu users will get it as an optional distribution. AFIK Imprudence satisfies this criteria, but it is always good to double check.

"Community" stuff simply appears in the Synaptic handler and the user's "Ubuntu Software Center" together with the 30K+ packages there.

Karen

On Sat, Aug 28, 2010 at 11:18 AM, Toni Alatalo <[hidden email]> wrote:
On la, 2010-08-28 at 09:35 -0700, Karen Palen wrote:
> Now that I am retired (read busier than ever!) I do all my software
> under Linux - mostly Python of C++ - unless I am "hacking" some pre

BTW besides c++ written modules, you can also write new functionality to
Naali in Python as well. In fact some of the default features, like the
3d manipulators to move objects in-world, are written in py. That is for
trusted code that can do anything with the scene and the operating
system, like c++. We then use Javascript for untrusted code from the net
so can soon load e.g. custom camera contol code from the world you login
to etc. like it works on the web.

> I am inspired to wonder how had this would be to add the deb to a1
> repository and make it really easy to install?

I hope easy, and I hope it eventually makes it to the distributions
etc :)
Thanks for info, will check out!

> Karen

~Toni

> [...]
>         >                 fun :)
>         >
>         >                 It is all developed in the open, no behind
>         closed
>         >                 doors dev or private
>         >                 betas, and is open for suggestions and
>         contributions
>         >                 etc .. so please
>         >                 feel free to try and welcome to participate!
>         >
>         >                 > On Fri, Aug 27, 2010 at 6:53 PM, peter
>         host
>         >                 <[hidden email]>
>         >                 > wrote:
>         >                 >
>         >                 >         All in all, it's a pain in the
>         A.., and good
>         >                 support for
>         >                 >         Meshes are
>         >                 >         one of the most users-awaited

Jonne Nauha
Did the linux installers work for you, just curious as you might be the first ones to test them after I put them up :) I haven heard anything negative in our mailing lists so maybe they are ok. I have done python code .debs in maemo but this was my first c++ binary packaging.

I think we will need to test these a bit more before I'm comfortable pushing the package into lucid repos or something that would be enabled by default on Ubuntu. Do they really just accept stuff thats sent to them? I thought you'd have to be some kind of admin there. And possibly we would need to provide sources too for them to verify that it builds and runs, then the packaging becomes more complex.

Best regards,
Jonne Nauha
realXtend developer