How to find out which openSim your avatar is in

How to find out which openSim your avatar is in

Marian Heddesheimer
Hi there,

I'm developing a grid independent messaging tool and I need to find out in which grid the avatar is currently logged in. I can use a scripted attachment and call my webserver, but I wonder what's the best method would be to find out in which grid (secondlife, osgrid, openlife-grid, reaction grid, legend city, etc) the script is currently running. I think the REMOTE_ADDRESS may help here, but I found that in secondlife for example, several sims are running on different IP address.

Does anybody have a clue for me how to solve this problem?

Thanks

Marian

Re: How to find out which openSim your avatar is in

Chris Hart

Hi Marian,

ReactionGrid is spread over several servers, so you will get different IP address returned for different sims – and a grid like OSGrid would have many different IP addresses since anyone can connect a sim to the main grid. I would suggest the Shard header from the http request, if set by the grid operator as detailed in opensim.ini.example, is probably the best way to go. Note that current revision deployed on ReactionGrid doesn’t seem to pick up this value from the ini, but tested against a newer release it does seem to set correctly, so will hopefully be available on our grid in the next week or two.

Thanks,

Chris

--

Chris Hart / Strawberry Fride