How to get rid of the water in the sim period.

How to get rid of the water in the sim period.

Jane Foxclaw
Anyone know of a good way to get rid of the sim water ?  I want nothing but that outter sky showing all the way around. I do not like the ocean being there. has anyone any ideas ?

Sonya

Re: [Opensim-users] How to get rid of the water in the sim period.

Len W. Brown
Good question!  This was asked a number of months back and the best we could resolve was building way up high and surrounding yourself with a massive sphere with a starfield or just plain black or gray on the inside.  Not cool given what you are asking...

I know it must be possible, as the horizon water is hard-coded into the server, but I am not sure exactly where this is or how it can be altered or eliminated.

I'm curious to know the solution as well if anyone has a good guess on this.

- Len W. Brown
     [hidden email]

On Thu, Jan 21, 2010 at 12:59 AM, Jane Foxclaw <[hidden email]> wrote:
Anyone know of a good way to get rid of the sim water ?  I want nothing but that outter sky showing all the way around. I do not like the ocean being there. has anyone any ideas ?

Sonya

Re: [Opensim-users] How to get rid of the water in the sim period.

Trucker Anthony
A temp fix is to press ctrl + alt + shift +7 and that takes the water out of view unless you cam under 20M then you will still get the effects
Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

Re: [Opensim-users] How to get rid of the water in the sim period.

Karen_Palen
I suppose "grey goo" is preferable to water on the horizon LOL

You could also lower the "fog ratio" found under preferences->graphics->hardware options I found the result to be not very useful on OpenSim, although it does work in SecondLife

Outside of your enabled regions (i.e. in areas where no region exists) I think those is the only things you can do.

Inside an established region you can set the water height with an "estate manager" command. Setting it to 0 or -100 effectively removes water effects from the estate.

Karen

> shift +7 and that takes the water out of view unless you cam
> under 20M then you will still get the effects
> Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

Playing around after I sent that led me to a parameter of the "environment editor" (world->environment settings->environment editor) which allows you to redefine the water color!

This produces some VERY sci-fi type horizons on a small island!

There is also an "advanced environment editor" (at least on Meerkat!) which gives even weirder results!

Karen

> You could also lower the "fog ratio" found under
> preferences->graphics->hardware options I found the
> result to be not very useful on OpenSim, although it does
> work in SecondLife
>
> Outside of your enabled regions (i.e. in areas where no
> region exists) I think those is the only things you can do.
>
> Inside an established region you can set the water height
> with an "estate manager" command. Setting it to 0 or -100
> effectively removes water effects from the estate.
>
> Karen
>
> --- On Thu, 1/21/10, [hidden email]
> <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > From: [hidden email]
> <[hidden email]>
> > Subject: Re: [Opensim-users] How to get rid of the
> water in the sim period.
> > To: [hidden email]
> > Date: Thursday, January 21, 2010, 12:31 AM
> > A temp fix is to press ctrl + alt +
> > shift +7 and that takes the water out of view unless
> you cam
> > under 20M then you will still get the effects
> > Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

Frisby, Adam

It’s hard coded into the viewer, not the server. The viewer is hard coded to display the water field at 20m vertical in neighbouring regions, you can however adjust the value for the self region; the initial value is set in the Estate Manager.

Adam

Re: [Opensim-users] How to get rid of the water in the sim period.

Len W. Brown
Ah, that makes sense.  I forget how many things are actually the result of the viewer rather than the server.

Another thing I thought of was the setting in OpenSim.ini that is either true or false - being able to "see" into neighboring regions.  If set to false, it kinda renders the neighboring sim invisible, but does nothing regarding the effects of the water/ocean.  But if there is no neighboring sim then it is irrelevant it seems.

On Thu, Jan 21, 2010 at 2:30 AM, Frisby, Adam <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

     http://www.lenfocenter.com

Re: [Opensim-users] How to get rid of the water in the sim period.

Stefan Andersson-3

I just tried to do an

Terrain elevate 2500

And that seemed to remove the waterline pretty efficiently.

/Stefan

It’s hard coded into the viewer, not the server. The viewer is hard coded to display the water field at 20m vertical in neighbouring regions, you can however adjust the value for the self region; the initial value is set in the Estate Manager.

Adam

Re: [Opensim-users] How to get rid of the water in the sim period.

Dr Scofield
On 01/21/2010 10:07 AM, Stefan Andersson wrote:
> I just tried to do an
>

> Terrain elevate 2500

:-D /me wonders whether avatars suffer from altitude sickness...

--
dr dirk husemann ---- virtual worlds research ---- ibm zurich research lab
SL: dr scofield ---- [hidden email] ---- http://xyzzyxyzzy.net/

Re: [Opensim-users] How to get rid of the water in the sim period.

Jane Foxclaw
yea I thought of doing that.. but you get some noobie on your sim and they have no clue what your talking about and then they leave because they think we messed up their SL client..   AND you have to do it EVERYTIME you log in. It wont hold those settings.

So there has to be some way to hard code it or something that will be automatic from the server telling the client how to shut that off.

[...]

DZ-2
A technique we have found useful is a seriously large textured prim.  You can paint grass/hills/whatever  on a prim...  stretch it to the max size set in the ini  and  "bury it  in the terrain  somewhere above the  artificial water line....  it will extend off to the horizon very well, and  with proper texturing  , can look VERY natural.

Re: [Opensim-users] How to get rid of the water in the sim period.

Jane Foxclaw
hmm i'll give that a try.  i just hope that my texture I put in there is decent enough for it, since the max texture size you can have is 1024x1024..  lots of limitations i'm having to overcome here..  uhggg

Sonya

On Thu, Jan 21, 2010 at 12:44 PM, dz <[hidden email]> wrote:
A technique we have found useful is a seriously large textured prim.  You can paint grass/hills/whatever  on a prim...  stretch it to the max size set in the ini  and  "bury it  in the terrain  somewhere above the  artificial water line....  it will extend off to the horizon very well, and  with proper texturing  , can look VERY natural.

Re: [Opensim-users] How to get rid of the water in the sim period.

Dr Scofield
hmm... i must be missing something here: why not raise the terrain to just above
the water line? (along the lines stefan wrote?).

        cheers,
        dirk

On 01/22/2010 03:50 AM, Jane Foxclaw wrote:

> hmm i'll give that a try.  i just hope that my texture I put in there is
> decent enough for it, since the max texture size you can have is
> 1024x1024..  lots of limitations i'm having to overcome here..  uhggg
>
> Sonya
>
> On Thu, Jan 21, 2010 at 12:44 PM, dz <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>     A technique we have found useful is a seriously large textured
>     prim.  You can paint grass/hills/whatever  on a prim...  stretch it
>     to the max size set in the ini  and  "bury it  in the terrain
>     somewhere above the  artificial water line....  it will extend off
>     to the horizon very well, and  with proper texturing  , can look
>     VERY natural.

dr dirk husemann ---- virtual worlds research ---- ibm zurich research lab
SL: dr scofield ---- [hidden email] ---- http://xyzzyxyzzy.net/
RL: [hidden email] - +41 44 724 8573 - http://www.zurich.ibm.com/~hud/

Re: [Opensim-users] How to get rid of the water in the sim period.

Len W. Brown
The problem is all that water in the far distance - that you cannot control.  The area outside of the region itself.  As Justin said yesterday it's controlled by the viewer and not the server so it's a bit more tricky to figure out how (or if) it can be hidden.

- Len W. Brown
     [hidden email]

On 01/22/2010 08:33 AM, Len Brown wrote:
> The problem is all that water in the far distance - that you cannot
> control.  The area _outside_ of the region itself.  As Justin said
> yesterday it's controlled by the viewer and not the server so it's a bit
> more tricky to figure out how (or if) it can be hidden.

but a megaprim covering your region is not really going to help then, stefan's
2500m terrain seems more like the ticket, i guess.

        dirk