How to set up autobackup

tringate
I can’t figure out what it is I am doing wrong.  I want to set up autobackup but it is not working for me.

I placed the following into my StandaloneCommon.ini file.

[AutoBackupModule]
    AutoBackupModuleEnabled = true
    AutoBackupInterval = 30
    AutoBackupDir = /var/opensim/backup/OAR/test/
    AutoBackupNaming = Time

My expectations were this would set this for all of my regions as their default and if I wanted something different in a specific region I could set new values in that region.

I let the simulator run for a few hours and no OAR’s were created at all.

I then added the following to one of my regions.

AutoBackupModuleEnabled = true
AutoBackupInterval = 15
AutoBackupDir = /var/opensim/backup/test/
AutoBackupNaming = Time

Left my simulator run for a few more hours and still nothing was saved.

Looking in my log file I only see the following.

2015-02-22 14:57:20,124 INFO  - OpenSim.Region.OptionalModules.World.AutoBackup.AutoBackupModule [AUTO BACKUP]: AutoBackupModule enabled
2015-02-22 14:57:20,128 DEBUG - OpenSim.Region.OptionalModules.World.AutoBackup.AutoBackupModule [AUTO BACKUP]: Here is the default config:
2015-02-22 14:57:20,130 DEBUG - OpenSim.Region.OptionalModules.World.AutoBackup.AutoBackupModule [AUTO BACKUP]: AutoBackup: DISABLED
[AUTO BACKUP]: Interval: 720 minutes
[AUTO BACKUP]: Do Busy Check: Yes
[AUTO BACKUP]: Naming Type: Time
[AUTO BACKUP]: Backup Dir: .
[AUTO BACKUP]: Script:

Searching my bin directory I do not see any file named IRegionAutoBackupModule or anything even close.
I used the last zip file on OSGrid to build my simulator.  I am running on Linux Fedora 21.
The simulator has been dormant for the entire testing.  Only logged in once to make sure it was working.
I never say anything appear in the console window either.

Tom

Re: How to set up autobackup

Unadecal Arado
I'm not sure if your configuration is not being read correctly, which is strange because you reference AutoBackup config parameters in your StandaloneCommon.ini (I assume you include this file in your Opensim.ini) and also in your regions file.

Have you tried adding these parameters directly into your Opensim.ini?

You might also want to set AutoBackupBusyCheck=False, since it could also be that the module is procrastinating for some unknown reason.

Hope this helps,

Unadecal

On 22 February 2015 at 21:36, Thomas Ringate <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

I have now put all the parameters directly into the OpenSimDefaults.ini to make sure there was no mistake.  Yet nothing appears to have changed.

The are also in my region.ini file and my StandaloneCommon.ini  file.  Everything else in these files is correctly adjusting those parameters, so I know the files are being properly read.  This is not a new installation, it has been running ever since OSgrid went down.  So I guess that is about 7 months or so.

I do wonder why I do not have the IRegionAutoBackupModule in my bin directory that this feature is suppose to call.  Is it possible the people who package the OSGrid zip release remove this module?

Here is a segment of the file showing exactly what I put in the OpenSimDefaults.ini.
[AssetService]
    DefaultAssetLoader = "OpenSim.Framework.AssetLoader.Filesystem.dll"
    AssetLoaderArgs = "assets/AssetSets.xml"

    ; Disable this to prevent the default asset set from being inserted into the
    ; asset store each time the region starts
    AssetLoaderEnabled = true

[GridService]
    ;; default standalone, overridable in StandaloneCommon.ini
    StorageProvider = "OpenSim.Data.Null.dll:NullRegionData"

[AutoBackupModule]
    ;; default is module is disabled at the top level
    AutoBackupModuleEnabled = true
    AutoBackupModuleEnabled = true
    AutoBackupInterval = 30
    AutoBackupDir = /var/opensim/backup/OAR/test/
    AutoBackupNaming = Time

[Sounds]
    ;; {Module} {} {Implementation of ISoundModule to use.} {OpenSim.Region.CoreModules.dll:SoundModule}
    Module = OpenSim.Region.CoreModules.dll:SoundModule

    ;; {MaxDistance} {} {Cut-off distance at which sounds will not be sent to users} {100.0}
    MaxDistance = 100.0

Here is the log file after restarting the simulator with the edited defaults file.

2015-02-22 21:12:02,307 INFO  - OpenSim.Region.OptionalModules.World.AutoBackup.AutoBackupModule [AUTO BACKUP]: AutoBackupModule enabled
2015-02-22 21:12:02,310 DEBUG - OpenSim.Region.OptionalModules.World.AutoBackup.AutoBackupModule [AUTO BACKUP]: Here is the default config:
2015-02-22 21:12:02,312 DEBUG - OpenSim.Region.OptionalModules.World.AutoBackup.AutoBackupModule [AUTO BACKUP]: AutoBackup: DISABLED
[AUTO BACKUP]: Interval: 720 minutes
[AUTO BACKUP]: Do Busy Check: Yes
[AUTO BACKUP]: Naming Type: Time
[AUTO BACKUP]: Backup Dir: .
[AUTO BACKUP]: Script:

2015-02-22 21:12:02,343 INFO  - OpenSim.Region.CoreModules.Asset.FlotsamAssetCache [FLOTSAM ASSET CACHE]: FlotsamAssetCache enabled

They appear to be totally ignored and no backup is taking place.

Tom

Re: How to set up autobackup

Unadecal Arado
[Update]

I got curious, so I read the relevant Wiki pge (http://opensimulator.org/wiki/Feature_Proposals/AutoBackup), selected a currently unused simulator running Metropolis 0803, which is the current version, inserted  this section in the Opensim.ini file:

[AutoBackupModule]
    AutoBackupModuleEnabled = true
    AutoBackupInterval = 10
    AutoBackupDir = /Googledrive/Opensim-005/Embassy/OAR/
    AutoBackupNaming = Time
AutoBackupBusyCheck=False

I then restarted the simulator and verified that the AutoBackup configuration had taken effect by way of the "config show" console command. It all seemed set, but there are no backups taking place. I have no clues to follow at this point since the log does not provide any details at all.

On 22 February 2015 at 22:22, Unadecal Arado <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Hello again Thomas, I managed to work this out. I rummaged through some txt files I have been collecting with various configuration hacks collected through chatting to other sim owners in OSGrid  and I found this:

 [AutoBackupModule]

 ;; default is module is disabled at the top level

 AutoBackupModuleEnabled = true
 AutoBackup = true
 AutoBackupInterval = 1440
 AutoBackupBusyCheck = true
 AutoBackupNaming = time
 AutoBackupDir = "D:\OARBackups\"
 AutoBackupThreshold = 1

I'm not sure what AutoBackupThreshold does, it might be an error in invoking AutoBackupdilationThreshold since it seems to be undocumented.

At any rate, the key ingredient there seems to be AutoBackup = true to enable the feature. It started working after I added this.

As a matter of interest, I run the base OS distro and the Metropolis distro, both at the 0.8.0.3 version level on Windows and there isn't a separate Autobackup module, but the feature works. Also, the Windows build seems to be happy with both UNIX and DOS style file paths.

As an aside, I don't think that having autoBackup as an interval from uptime is the best way to go about this. It works if the sim is undergoing constant change and you set the intervals short enough, such as 30, 60 or 120 minutes. In any given day, then, you are bound to have several OARs, which is great.

On the other hand, if the sim is fairly static or you are keen to minimize overheads and set the intervals to 12 or 24 hours because you don't need more than 1 or two OARs per day, using Autobackup might not work, particularly if the simulator restarts for whatever reason (most of my simulators are set to restart daily). In that case, Autobackup might chase a time interval which will never come.

It would be great if we had a key called AutoBackupTime = hh:mm, which schedules a backup for hh:mm no matter what if set, and then at AutoBackupInterval after that. Yhis way, OAR generation might be more predictable at longer intervals.

Unadecal

On 23 February 2015 at 06:22, Unadecal Arado <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Dahlia Trimble
The AutoBackupModule is in OpenSim.Region.OptionalModules.dll. I'm not sure of the origins of the code, if it works properly, or if it is fully implemented or maintained.

I added the following to the bottom of *OpenSim.ini* and it appears to work:

[AutoBackupModule]
AutoBackupModuleEnabled = true
AutoBackup = true
AutoBackupInterval = 720
AutoBackupSkipAssets = true
AutoBackupKeepFilesForDays = 5
AutoBackupDir = ../backups/

After an hour I found a oar file in the specified directory. There were also console messages showing output from the save oar task.

On Mon, Feb 23, 2015 at 1:28 AM, Unadecal Arado <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

I had a typo in the last message; I had changed the time to 12 hours after the test but before copy/pasting. The time is specified in minutes and for 1 hour it would be:

AutoBackupInterval = 60

On Mon, Feb 23, 2015 at 2:56 AM, Dahlia Trimble <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Success at last.  Thanks for the help and guidance to find the correct solution.

I noticed a few new parameters have crept into the auto backup function and there is no location where all of these things are brought together for a user to find.

I agree with Unadecal Arado  the feature to select a specific time would be a good addition.  I restart my regions daily at 4 am, and sometimes more often than that.

“It would be great if we had a key called AutoBackupTime = hh:mm, which schedules a backup for hh:mm no matter what is set, and then at AutoBackupInterval after that. This way, OAR generation might be more predictable at longer intervals.”

If I know how to update the wiki or better yet the opensim page found by Googling “opensim autobackup” with this information, I believe this function of opensim would be a much simpler function to implement.

I have added this to my .ini file so in the future I can easily make changes without going through dozens of trial and error operations.

;    Configuration Settings
; Global (in OpenSim.ini under [AutoBackupModule] section)  AutoBackupModuleEnabled: True/False. Default: False. If False, every function in the module is as no-op as possible: just return as soon as realizing that we're not enabled. Otherwise it will try to get as far as it can with auto backup for each region.
; Global (in OpenSim.ini) or Per-Region (in Regions/Regions.ini under the region's name's section)
; IMPORTANT: Settings declared per-region in Regions/Regions.ini override settings in OpenSim.ini. Settings in OpenSim.ini, in turn, override hard-coded defaults.  AutoBackup: True/False. Default: False. If True, activate auto backup functionality. This is the only required option for enabling auto-backup; the other options have sane defaults. If False, the auto-backup module becomes a no-op for the region, and all other AutoBackup* settings are ignored.
; AutoBackupModuleEnabled: True/False. Default: False. If False, every function in the module is as no-op as possible: just return as soon as realizing that we're not enabled. Otherwise it will try to get as far as it can with auto backup for each region.
; AutoBackupInterval: Integer, non-negative value. Default: 720 (12 hours). The number of minutes between each backup attempt. If a negative or zero value is given, it is equivalent to setting AutoBackup = False.
; AutoBackupBusyCheck: True/False. Default: True. If True, we will only take an auto-backup if a set of conditions are met. These conditions are heuristics to try and avoid taking a backup when the sim is busy.
; AutoBackupScript: String. Default: not specified (disabled). File path to an executable script or binary to run when an automatic backup is taken. argv[1] of the executed file/script will be the file name of the generated OAR. If the process can't be spawned for some reason (file not found, no execute permission, etc), write a warning to the console.
; AutoBackupNaming: string. Default: Time.  One of three strings (case insensitive):
;  "Time": Current timestamp is appended to file name. An existing file will never be overwritten.
;  "Sequential": A number is appended to the file name. So if RegionName_x.oar exists, we'll save to RegionName_{x+1}.oar next. An existing file will never be overwritten.
;  "Overwrite": Always save to file named "RegionName.oar", even if we have to overwrite an existing file.
; AutoBackupDir: String. Default: "." (the current directory). A directory (absolute or relative) where backups should be saved. If the path is not a directory, or insufficient permissions are available, a warning will be printed to the console and no backups will be taken.
; AutoBackupDilationThreshold: float. Default: 0.5. Lower bound on time dilation required for BusyCheck heuristics to pass.  If the time dilation is below this value, don't take a backup right now.
; AutoBackupAgentThreshold: int. Default: 10. Upper bound on # of agents in region required for BusyCheck heuristics to pass.  If the number of agents is greater than this value, don't take a backup right now.
; AutoBackupKeepFilesForDays: int. Default: 0.
;   1) number of days to keep backups (0 the default value will disable this option).
;   2) After each backup, remove all oars in the backup directory that are older than the specified number of days.
;    note: if the user set the bin directory as the backup location, only oar files are removed. There is no way to know if an oar was created by auto-backup, or manually created or uploaded. It is not recommended to use the bin directory for your auto backups for this reason.

; Example:
;[AutoBackupModule]
;    AutoBackupModuleEnabled = true
;    AutoBackup = true
;    AutoBackupInterval = 30
;    AutoBackupBusyCheck = false
;    AutoBackupThreshold = 1
;    AutoBackupSkipAssets = false
;    AutoBackupKeepFilesForDays = 30
;    AutoBackupNaming = Time
;    AutoBackupDir = /var/opensim/backup/test/

Tom

Re: How to set up autobackup

Opensimfan

I have this in OpenSim.ini:

[AutoBackupModule]
    ;; default is module is disabled at the top level
    AutoBackupModuleEnabled = true
    AutoBackup = true
    AutoBackupInterval = 10
    AutoBackupBusyCheck = true
    AutoBackupScript = "AutoBackup.txt"
    AutoBackupNaming = "Overwrite"
    AutoBackupDir = "C:\Users\Verwijs\Documents\Opensim-MySQL\Backups"
    AutoBackupDilationThreshold = 0.5
    AutoBackupAgentThreshold = 10

"AutoBackup.txt" has this line:

save oar --perm=MCT -all
"C:\Users\Verwijs\Documents\Opensim-MySQL\Backups\OPENSUSE-REGION-PC.oar"

but on startup & run i'll get this:

on startup:

00:44:46 - [AUTO BACKUP]: Region Standalone OpenSUSE Test Region is
AutoBackup ENABLED.
00:44:46 - [AUTO BACKUP]: Reusing timer for 600000 msec for region
Standalone OpenSUSE Test Region
00:44:46 - [AUTO BACKUP]: Config for Standalone OpenSUSE Test Region
00:44:46 - [AUTO BACKUP]: AutoBackup: ENABLED
[AUTO BACKUP]: Interval: 10 minutes
[AUTO BACKUP]: Do Busy Check: Yes
[AUTO BACKUP]: Naming Type: Overwrite
[AUTO BACKUP]: Backup Dir: C:\Users\Verwijs\Documents\Opensim-MySQL\Backups
[AUTO BACKUP]: Script: AutoBackup.txt

running AutoBackup:

01:55:19 - [AUTO BACKUP]: Backing up region Standalone OpenSUSE Test Region
01:55:19 - [ARCHIVER]: Writing archive for region Standalone OpenSUSE
Test Region to
C:\Users\Verwijs\Documents\Opensim-MySQL\Backups\Standalone OpenSUSE
Test Region.oar
01:55:19 - [ARCHIVER]: Creating version 0.8 OAR
01:55:19 - [ARCHIVER]: Added control file to archive.
01:55:19 - [ARCHIVER]: Writing region Standalone OpenSUSE Test Region
01:55:19 - [ARCHIVER]: 96 scene objects to serialize requiring save of
125 assets
01:55:19 - [ARCHIVER]: Adding region settings to archive.
01:55:19 - [ARCHIVER]: Adding parcel settings to archive.
01:55:19 - [ARCHIVER]: Adding terrain information to archive.
01:55:19 - [ARCHIVER]: Adding scene objects to archive.
01:55:20 - [ARCHIVER]: Saving 125 assets
01:55:20 - [ARCHIVER]: AssetsRequest executed looking for 125 possible
assets
01:55:20 - [FLOTSAM ASSET CACHE]: Cache Get ::
df208c8d-1893-4d76-8736-4df2996a40d8 :: Hit
01:55:20 - [FLOTSAM ASSET CACHE]: File Hit Rate: 14.67% for 900 requests
01:55:20 - [FLOTSAM ASSET CACHE]: Memory Hit Rate: 81.33% for 900 requests
01:55:20 - [FLOTSAM ASSET CACHE]: Unnecessary requests due to requests
for assets that are currently downloading: 0
01:55:20 - [ARCHIVER]: Added 50 assets to archive
01:55:20 - [ARCHIVER]: Added 100 assets to archive
01:55:21 - [ARCHIVER]: Successfully added 125 assets (0 assets not found
but these may be expected invalid references)
01:55:21 - [ARCHIVER]: Finished writing out OAR for Standalone OpenSUSE
Test Region

so AutoBackup is not using "AutoBackup.txt" but saves oar with region
name, not sure why.  Autobackup should run "AutoBackup.txt" every xx set
by "AutoBackupInterval"

I've made a AutoBackup manual, here are links:
https://copy.com/ifzvn64NJkWUMJKE - "Auto Backup Module.docx"
https://copy.com/Q7gpvBKDz3hmZsLS - "Auto Backup Module.rtf"

André

My Twitter Page:
http://twitter.com/OpenSimFan

My Facebook page (be my friend, please )
http://www.facebook.com/andre.verwijs

My Google+ page (follow me please )
André Verwijs - Google+ https://plus.google.com/111310545842863442992

OpenSimFan

My Opensim/Second Life Blog
http://verwijs.wordpress.com

(Dutch, basic hardware/software help windows, Mac, Linux)
http://verwijs-pc.nl

My Twitter Page:
http://twitter.com/OpenSimFan

My Facebook page (be my friend, please )
http://www.facebook.com/andre.verwijs

My Google+ page (follow me please )
André Verwijs - Google+

Re: How to set up autobackup

Unadecal Arado
Hello Andre,

I had a look at the relevant wiki page (opensimulator.org/wiki/Feature_Proposals/AutoBackup), which states:

  • "Overwrite": Always save to file named "RegionName.oar", even if we have to overwrite an existing file.
and:
  • AutoBackupScript: String. Default: not specified (disabled). File path to an executable script or binary to run when an automatic backup is taken. argv[1] of the executed file/script will be the file name of the generated OAR. If the process can't be spawned for some reason (file not found, no execute permission, etc), write a warning to the console.

Note the part where it says "File path to an executable script or binary to run...". To me, that means a batch file (*.BAT, *CMD), .EXE, .VBS, shell script or any other file executable by the Operating System, not a command-script text file to parse and run within the Opensim console. Note also references to "spawning" and "execute permission"; this is clearly an OS executable the documentation refers to. Note also that the name of the OAR file generated by the AutoBackupNaming string is passed as the first argument (parameter) to the AutobackupScript. Why? I suspect the purpose of this is to enable further data processing on the OAR file AFTER it has been created (such as perhaps, copying it to other locations, such as removable storage, network shares or cloud directories, perhaps comparing it to previous OAR files to check whether changes have taken place and decide whether to keep or discard the newly created file). The possibilities are endless and depend on the individual needs.

So when you state: "so AutoBackup is not using "AutoBackup.txt" but saves oar with region name, not sure why.  Autobackup should run "AutoBackup.txt" every xx set by "AutoBackupInterval"", I don't think you are fully understanding the purpose and functionality of the AutoBackupScript parameter.

I hope this helps,

Unadecal

On 23 February 2015 at 20:02, André Verwijs <[hidden email]> wrote:

I have this in OpenSim.ini:

[AutoBackupModule]
   ;; default is module is disabled at the top level
   AutoBackupModuleEnabled = true
   AutoBackup = true
   AutoBackupInterval = 10
   AutoBackupBusyCheck = true
   AutoBackupScript = "AutoBackup.txt"
   AutoBackupNaming = "Overwrite"
   AutoBackupDir = "C:\Users\Verwijs\Documents\Opensim-MySQL\Backups"
   AutoBackupDilationThreshold = 0.5
   AutoBackupAgentThreshold = 10

"AutoBackup.txt" has this line:

save oar --perm=MCT -all "C:\Users\Verwijs\Documents\Opensim-MySQL\Backups\OPENSUSE-REGION-PC.oar"

but on startup & run i'll get this:

on startup:

00:44:46 - [AUTO BACKUP]: Region Standalone OpenSUSE Test Region is AutoBackup ENABLED.
00:44:46 - [AUTO BACKUP]: Reusing timer for 600000 msec for region Standalone OpenSUSE Test Region
[...]

David P. Giffen-2

I would also do a manual OAR backup then load the oars created by the autobackup to test make sure it creating a good OAR. Who knows the last time that module was tested.

Re: How to set up autobackup

tringate
I do not believe the script.txt file is a console script file but a system
level command file.  My impression is that it is a "post" process file that
is executed by autobackup after the backup has been made.

You have pointed it to a file that has a opensim console command in it.
That would be meaningless to the operating system be it linux or windows.

Read carefully what this says:
AutoBackupScript: String. Default: not specified (disabled). File path to an
executable script or binary to run when an automatic backup is taken.
argv[1] of the executed file/script will be the file name of the generated
OAR. If the process can't be spawned for some reason (file not found, no
execute permission, etc), write a warning to the console.

executable script or binary = a system level program or command file, not a
string for the opensim console.

I could be wrong but that is how I read that parameter to work.  Did you see
anything on the console like it says you should see?  In you case it would
be an error message saying the command you gave could not be found I would
think.

It passes the file name of the file autobackup made in argv(1) for the
receiving program to use should you be trying to do something with that
specific file.  If you really want to cause opensim to do another backup of
the same OAR, you would need to point to a file with system commands that
would send your commands to opensim's console.  autobackup IS the backup
program, not a timer to call some external backup program.

Tom

I found a mantis entry which looks like the original submission of the AutoBackupModule. There's a note where the author has described some configuration examples here: http://opensimulator.org/mantis/view.php?id=5440#c18342

On Mon, Feb 23, 2015 at 3:19 PM, David P. Giffen <[hidden email]> wrote:

I would also do a manual OAR backup then load the oars created by the autobackup to test make sure it creating a good OAR. Who knows the last time that module was tested.

Re: How to set up autobackup

tringate
I have successfully recreated my entire 8 by 8 set of regions from OSGrid in a standalone first making the OAR’s from another identical standalone running in another server using the autobackup functions.

I have been looking around on the second standalone inworld for about an hour and do not see any differences what ever.

I do have one comment about autobackup.  It was significantly faster at making the OAR’s than my old way of a cron job firing off a bash script that feed commands to the opensim console to generate the OAR’s.  The only short come I can see is the inability to give it a specific time to do the backup rather than an interval.  Using an interval makes the function totally dependent on when the instance was last started.  If a specific time could be used then only if the instance was not running at that time would an OAR not be made.

Another future addition might be the ability to pass parameters to the save oar function such as –publish.

Typically I do an OAR at 4 am every day and use a trim job to maintain the last 30 days of backups.  Now opensim is doing it all for me and I do not have to worry about all the interesting stuff that happens every 6 months or so when a new release of Fedora comes out and changes some of the basics like programmers love to do.

I wish I had discovered this feature of opensim years ago.  This is so much cleaner for us non “geek” folks.  Having 64 regions is a chore, trying to make sure you have backups for them where even the slightest change of name or instance loading means changing dozens of bash scripts is totally eliminated by placing the regions backup parameters in the region.ini.

Great job even if it is 4 years late in being said.

Tom

Sent: Monday, February 23, 2015 6:19 PM

I would also do a manual OAR backup then load the oars created by the autobackup to test make sure it creating a good OAR. Who knows the last time that module was tested.

Re: How to set up autobackup

Unadecal Arado
Sure, more testing won't hurt. On the other hand, I have observed that AutoBackup generates the same console output when it runs as the Save Oar console command, which leads me to believe that the module which parses the AutoBackup configuration section is basically a function that creates a timer loop around a function call in the same format as the console command parser for the save oar command, so it should be fine and the OARs created by Autobackup should be exactly the same as those created manually.

But you never know until you try.

On 23 February 2015 at 23:19, David P. Giffen <[hidden email]> wrote:

I would also do a manual OAR backup then load the oars created by the autobackup to test make sure it creating a good OAR. Who knows the last time that module was tested.

Re: How to set up autobackup

Opensimfan

to Unadecal Arado:

well trusting binaries is a BAD IDEA.!! like OpenSim.ini says

     ;# {TrustBinaries} {AllowScriptCrossing:true} {Accept compiled
binary script code? (DANGEROUS!)} {true false} false
     ;; Allow compiled script binary code to cross region boundaries.
     ;; If you set this to "true", any region that can teleport to you can
     ;; inject ARBITRARY BINARY CODE into your system. Use at your own risk.
     ;; YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!
     ; TrustBinaries = false

witch you have to set true (i think) if you want to use a script with
Autobackup...

its better to use this:  (OpenSimDefault.ini)

     ; Console commands run (default 20 min)
     timer_Script = "backup"

     ; timer_Script time interval (default 20 min)
     ; The time is 60 per minute
     timer_Interval = 7200

My Twitter Page:
http://twitter.com/OpenSimFan

My Facebook page (be my friend, please )
http://www.facebook.com/andre.verwijs

My Google+ page (follow me please )
André Verwijs - Google+ https://plus.google.com/111310545842863442992

OpenSimFan

My Opensim/Second Life Blog
http://verwijs.wordpress.com

(Dutch, basic hardware/software help windows, Mac, Linux)
http://verwijs-pc.nl

My Twitter Page:
http://twitter.com/OpenSimFan

My Facebook page (be my friend, please )
http://www.facebook.com/andre.verwijs

My Google+ page (follow me please )
André Verwijs - Google+

Re: How to set up autobackup

Unadecal Arado
I'm not sure which of my previous comments you are replying to here, but I do believe you are mistaking the meaning of "compiled binary script code" with "executable, Operating System level code/scripts".

The former ("compiled binary script code"), refers to precompiled LSL scripts. The clue is in " ;; Allow compiled script binary code to cross region boundaries. - ;; If you set this to "true", any region that can teleport to you can[...]". Yes, there is a risk associated with enabling this feature, but it has NOTHING to do with what we were discussing earlier. This refers to scripts which are run from within rezzed/worn objects in-world, and whose origin and intent you might not have any control over if they are brought in by griefers. These could indeed harm your server, but they are not related to the  "AutoBackupScript" feature of AutoBackup. This is indeed an executable (script or binary) which only you, as the simulator admin, have control over and which you should test and debug before you roll it out into production. Common sense would dictate that everyone exercises discretion when introducing foreign binaries into any kind of server indeed, but the more adventurous among us might want to use shell scripts which are easy to audit for malicious behaviour, or if a compiled solution is needed/chosen, best practice would be to compile the source code locally, both for auditing and to allow for customisation of the code to your specific needs.

The fact remains, after all this, that you are in error trying to force Autobackup to accept a command-script style text file as an AutoBackupScript, since that is not the intended purpose of the parameter.

I hope this helps,

Unadecal