Hypergrid 0.7.0.1+

12

Hypergrid 0.7.0.1+

Kesick, Nicholas Charles

Hello all,

I waited until the ROBUST conversion was completed before wanting to try setting up my own hypergrid.

Unfortunately the Wiki hasn’t been updated yet for 0.7 (http://opensimulator.org/wiki/ROBUST).  Would anyone be able to contribute (either on the wiki or by email) a basic guide for a fresh install to running a hypergrid?

I have ROBUST running, but I can’t figure out what to do next.  I try to start OpenSim (mono OpenSim.exe) and it fails when initializing the friends module. I did make sure to copy the GridCommon.ini, and make the appropriate changes in OpenSim.ini (under Architecture, added ; before Standalone, removed from StandaloneHypergrid)… but the directions aren’t clear on the steps to get a grid running.

Thanks in advance,

- Nicholas Kesick

Now at [hidden email]!

Real life heightmaps in opensim.

InuYasha Meiji
Not quite on current topic, but hoping for a nudge in the right
direction.  I have looked on the search engines and found a few blogs
and entries about how to accomplish using real life data to make
correctly scaled hight maps for opensim regions.  The problem is two
fold.  One nothing I have found can help me find the region data
covering the Ryukyu Island including Okinawa, and two nothing about
doing this is easy, or newer info then 2008.

Is there an easier way that might be available since 2009 or this year?
Can I get the data I need from the region I want?  Or even better,
anyone already have the RAW images to upload to opensim's for that
region I can get from you?  I have 25 regions going on my standalone.  I
want to build Shuri Castle and surrounding landscape.  I am using
Windows 7 - 64 bit, mysql, and opensim .7.0.1.

Thanks, I appreciate any reply that will help.

InuYasha Meiji

Re: Real life heightmaps in opensim.

Jeroen van Veen
Hey,

Maybe not what you're directly looking for, but here is an elevation map of
planet earth: http://mapbox.com/release/version-4.

kind regards,

Jeroen

On Tuesday 10 August 2010 07:56:45 InuYasha Meiji wrote:

> Not quite on current topic, but hoping for a nudge in the right
> direction.  I have looked on the search engines and found a few blogs
> and entries about how to accomplish using real life data to make
> correctly scaled hight maps for opensim regions.  The problem is two
> fold.  One nothing I have found can help me find the region data
> covering the Ryukyu Island including Okinawa, and two nothing about
> doing this is easy, or newer info then 2008.
>
> Is there an easier way that might be available since 2009 or this year?
> Can I get the data I need from the region I want?  Or even better,
> anyone already have the RAW images to upload to opensim's for that
> region I can get from you?  I have 25 regions going on my standalone.  I
> want to build Shuri Castle and surrounding landscape.  I am using
> Windows 7 - 64 bit, mysql, and opensim .7.0.1.
>
> Thanks, I appreciate any reply that will help.
>
> InuYasha Meiji

Re: Hypergrid 0.7.0.1+

Marck-2
Kesick, Nicholas Charles wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I waited until the ROBUST conversion was completed before wanting to try
> setting up my own hypergrid.
>
> Unfortunately the Wiki hasn’t been updated yet for 0.7
> (http://opensimulator.org/wiki/ROBUST). Would anyone be able to
> contribute (either on the wiki or by email) a basic guide for a fresh
> install to running a hypergrid?
>
> I have ROBUST running, but I can’t figure out what to do next. I try to
> start OpenSim (mono OpenSim.exe) and it fails when initializing the
> friends module. I did make sure to copy the GridCommon.ini, and make the
> appropriate changes in OpenSim.ini (under Architecture, added ; before
> Standalone, removed from StandaloneHypergrid)… but the directions aren’t
> clear on the steps to get a grid running.
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> - Nicholas Kesick
>
> Now at [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>!

Hello Nicholas,

To enable hypergrid with Robust, you'll need to use Robust.HG.ini:
mono Robust.exe -inifile=Robust.HG.ini

For the simulators that you want to run with Robust, use an OpenSim.ini which includes GridHypergrid.ini in section [Architecture], not StandaloneHypergrid.ini.

Also, http://opensimulator.org/wiki/ROBUST#An_Example_Conversion_From_URM_To_R has some interesting tidbits on hypergrid with Robust and how Robust 0.7 generally works. I guess you already have read http://opensimulator.org/wiki/0.7_Release

Re: Real life heightmaps in opensim.

Marcus Llewellyn
I've created terrain from real-life elevation data. It's something that really deserves a proper how-to, but I'll try to sketch the main points out here.

First thing you need is the real life data. For 90 meter resolution data for much of the planet, you can go to http://srtm.csi.cgiar.org/. For future reference, it's also possible to find data at a 30m resolution, but so far as I know it's only available for select parts of the United States at http://seamless.usgs.gov . Both sites offer the data in the form of a GeoTIFF file, and that's what you'll need. Neither site is particularly user friendly, so be prepared to poke at it for a while.

Once you have that, you'll want to go and download a program called L3DT from http://www.bundysoft.com/L3DT/ . There is a free version of this program available there, and it can import a GeoTIFF and convert it into a greyscale heightmap suitable for OpenSim. It supports saving as a r32 file, which you can load into an OpenSim region from the console.

Obviously, there's lots of little steps I haven't described. Happily, Bundysoft has a tutorial on turning a GeoTiff into terrain. It even shows you how to get the data you'll need. You can find it here: http://www.bundysoft.com/wiki/doku.php?id=tutorials:l3dt:srtm

If you follow that tutorial, you should get pretty close. All you'll need to do is export the L3DT heightmap to r32 files sliced to 256x256 pixels in size, and then load each one into the appropriate OpenSim region with the console.

Re: Real life heightmaps in opensim.

J. Wayde Allen
On Tue, 2010-08-10 at 08:56 -0600, Marcus Llewellyn wrote:

> If you follow that tutorial, you should get pretty close. All you'll
> need to do is export the L3DT heightmap to r32 files sliced to 256x256
> pixels in size, and then load each one into the appropriate OpenSim
> region with the console.

The question I've always had here is how to scale the image?  The region
is 256x256 pixels, but does a real world landscape need to be scaled to
1 inch per pixel, 1 foot per pixel, 1 meter per pixel, one mile per
pixel, one kilometer per pixel, ....?

I would like to create a virtual representation of a real property about
2 miles square.  What would be a reasonable scaling for this?  How many
regions would I need to make this work?

- Wayde

Re: Hypergrid 0.7.0.1+

Kesick, Nicholas Charles
> I waited until the ROBUST conversion was completed before wanting to try
> setting up my own hypergrid.
>
> Unfortunately the Wiki hasn't been updated yet for 0.7
> (http://opensimulator.org/wiki/ROBUST). Would anyone be able to
> contribute (either on the wiki or by email) a basic guide for a fresh
> install to running a hypergrid?
>
> I have ROBUST running, but I can't figure out what to do next. I try to
> start OpenSim (mono OpenSim.exe) and it fails when initializing the
> friends module. I did make sure to copy the GridCommon.ini, and make the
> appropriate changes in OpenSim.ini (under Architecture, added ; before
> Standalone, removed from StandaloneHypergrid)... but the directions aren't
> clear on the steps to get a grid running.
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> - Nicholas Kesick
>
> Now at [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>!

Hello Nicholas,

To enable hypergrid with Robust, you'll need to use Robust.HG.ini:
mono Robust.exe -inifile=Robust.HG.ini

For the simulators that you want to run with Robust, use an OpenSim.ini which includes GridHypergrid.ini in section [Architecture], not StandaloneHypergrid.ini.

Also, http://opensimulator.org/wiki/ROBUST#An_Example_Conversion_From_URM_To_R has some interesting tidbits on hypergrid with Robust and how Robust 0.7 generally works. I guess you already have read http://opensimulator.org/wiki/0.7_Release

I did read them earlier, and reviewed them while making another attempt.  I've gotten closer (after 3 takes today)... ROBUST now shows when my region starts up ( :D ).  ROBUST says the region was successfully registered, and OpenSim says that logins are enabled.  Unfortunately, I can't log in.  Hippo viewer immediately (and I mean immediately) says "Login Failed", but no reason why. Neither ROBUST nor OpenSim show even an attempted login.  I've checked username and password (even created a second account), and checked the address and gridname.

- Nicholas Kesick

Re: Hypergrid 0.7.0.1+

Marck-2
Kesick, Nicholas Charles wrote:

In the viewer, are you using as LoginURI the same address that you have set for parameter ExternalName in section [GatekeeperService] in Robust.HG.ini?

Re: Hypergrid 0.7.0.1+

Kesick, Nicholas Charles

- Nicholas Kesick
Now at [hidden email]!

>> I waited until the ROBUST conversion was completed before wanting to try
>> setting up my own hypergrid.
>>
>> Unfortunately the Wiki hasn't been updated yet for 0.7
>> (http://opensimulator.org/wiki/ROBUST). Would anyone be able to
>> contribute (either on the wiki or by email) a basic guide for a fresh
>> install to running a hypergrid?
>>
>> I have ROBUST running, but I can't figure out what to do next. I try to
>> start OpenSim (mono OpenSim.exe) and it fails when initializing the
>> friends module. I did make sure to copy the GridCommon.ini, and make the
>> appropriate changes in OpenSim.ini (under Architecture, added ; before
>> Standalone, removed from StandaloneHypergrid)... but the directions aren't
>> clear on the steps to get a grid running.
>>
>> Thanks in advance,
>>
>> - Nicholas Kesick
>>
>> Now at [hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>!
>>

> Hello Nicholas,
>
> To enable hypergrid with Robust, you'll need to use Robust.HG.ini:
> mono Robust.exe -inifile=Robust.HG.ini
>
> For the simulators that you want to run with Robust, use an OpenSim.ini which includes GridHypergrid.ini in section [Architecture], not StandaloneHypergrid.ini.
>
> Also, http://opensimulator.org/wiki/ROBUST#An_Example_Conversion_From_URM_To_R has some interesting tidbits on hypergrid with Robust and how Robust 0.7 generally works. I guess you already have read http://opensimulator.org/wiki/0.7_Release
>
> I did read them earlier, and reviewed them while making another attempt.  I've gotten closer (after 3 takes today)... ROBUST now shows when my region starts up ( :D ).  ROBUST says the region was successfully registered, and OpenSim says that logins are enabled.  Unfortunately, I can't log in.  Hippo viewer immediately (and I mean immediately) says "Login Failed", but no reason why. Neither ROBUST nor OpenSim show even an attempted login.  I've checked username and password (even created a second account), and checked the address and gridname.
>
> - Nicholas Kesick

In the viewer, are you using as LoginURI the same address that you have set for parameter ExternalName in section [GatekeeperService] in Robust.HG.ini?

Ok that got me a little closer :D.  Login starts, and then fails with the error (from ROBUST):
Unable to login user nick kesick to grid 127.0.0.1:8002, reason: Unable to verify identity

Hippo says: Login Failed. Error connecting to grid. Unable to authorize your session into the region.

Getting there... getting there...

Re: Hypergrid 0.7.0.1+

Kesick, Nicholas Charles
Kesick, Nicholas Charles wrote:

Ok, looked over the settings again, and found that I missed changing the information under LoginService.  Login now processes and is accepted, and ROBUST says "sending login response to client", and then Hippo fails D:  I know I'm right on the edge of this.  *continues digging* If anyone has a tip, please let me know :)

ROBUST OUTPUT:
[LLOGIN SERVICE]: Retrieved 0 friends
[LLOGIN]: Library has 19 folders
[LLOGIN SERVICE]: All clear. Sending login response to client.
[USER AGENT SERVICE]: Verifying Client session abd51dc0-e4b5-4b98-b5c5-e629f2cfc1d4 with token 192.168.2.3
[USER AGENT SERVICE]: Verifying Client session abd51dc0-e4b5-4b98-b5c5-e629f2cfc1d4 with token 192.168.2.3

OPENSIM OUTPUT:
[LLUDPSERVER]: Ignoring a repeated UseCircuitCode from d8523d36-87c8-4a5a-919a-6100ca44d7d8 at 192.168.2.3:58775 for circuit 1405232420

[LLUDPSERVER]: Handling UseCircuitCode packet from 192.168.2.3:58775
[LLUDPSERVER]: Ignoring a repeated UseCircuitCode from d8523d36-87c8-4a5a-919a-6100ca44d7d8 at 192.168.2.3:58775 for circuit 1405232420
[LLUDPSERVER]: Received a resend of already processed packet #1, type: AgentFOV

Re: Real life heightmaps in opensim.

InuYasha Meiji
WQow two miles...  Lets see.  Like I told the list in my last post
haven't had much sleep lately.  But 2 miles in  meters is 3218.688.
Divided by 256m regions is 12.573.  You can't run a part of a region, so
you have to round up to 13.  Since you said two miles square it mean you
want a two mile by two mile, so that is 13 regions by 13 regions.  So,
169 regions?  Yikes..

OR did my lack of sleep go way off someplace?

wallen wrote:

> On Tue, 2010-08-10 at 08:56 -0600, Marcus Llewellyn wrote:
>

>> If you follow that tutorial, you should get pretty close. All you'll
>> need to do is export the L3DT heightmap to r32 files sliced to 256x256
>> pixels in size, and then load each one into the appropriate OpenSim
>> region with the console.
>>

> The question I've always had here is how to scale the image?  The region
> is 256x256 pixels, but does a real world landscape need to be scaled to
> 1 inch per pixel, 1 foot per pixel, 1 meter per pixel, one mile per
> pixel, one kilometer per pixel, ....?
>
> I would like to create a virtual representation of a real property about
> 2 miles square.  What would be a reasonable scaling for this?  How many
> regions would I need to make this work?
>
> - Wayde

transfering inventory via php and either remote admin or some other way

Chris Bloomfield
Hi can anyone tell me if there is a way of transfering inventory using php either using the remote admin system or rest or some such.

i am aware i can do it by directly manipulating the db itself but just wondered if there was an easyer way

many thanks in advance

chris

Re: Hypergrid 0.7.0.1+

Diva Canto
1 - Follow the configuration instructions on the comments in the
.ini.example's. Don't miss any.

2 - Deal with NAT and DNS issues appropriately. Here's something that
may help: http://wiki.github.com/diva/d2/dns

Kesick, Nicholas Charles wrote:

Opensimfan
when i tried to import GeoTiff files with L3dT it was to big... but her is a possible program to split a GeoTiff file in to smaller tiles....

http://lists.maptools.org/pipermail/geotiff/2006-November/000322.html
OpenSimFan

My Opensim/Second Life Blog
http://verwijs.wordpress.com

(Dutch, basic hardware/software help windows, Mac, Linux)
http://verwijs-pc.nl

My Twitter Page:
http://twitter.com/OpenSimFan

My Facebook page (be my friend, please )
http://www.facebook.com/andre.verwijs

My Google+ page (follow me please )
André Verwijs - Google+

Re: transfering inventory via php and either remote admin or some other way

John Sheridan
Maybe take a look at how the sim talks to the inventory server?  If I'm not mistaken the stock robust variation is using straight http / xmlrpc.

On 08/10/2010 06:56 PM, Chris Bloomfield wrote:
Hi can anyone tell me if there is a way of transfering inventory using php either using the remote admin system or rest or some such.

i am aware i can do it by directly manipulating the db itself but just wondered if there was an easyer way

many thanks in advance

chris
_______________________________________________ Opensim-users mailing list [hidden email] https://lists.berlios.de/mailman/listinfo/opensim-users

Re: transfering inventory via php and either remote admin or some other way

Dickson, Mike (ISS Software)

Simian Grid is supposed to support a WEBDAV interface for inventory.  I'd wanted to have a look for that feature alone but haven't had a chance yet.  If anyone has tried SimianGrid with OpenSim and tried that feature perhaps they can comment.

Mike

Re: transfering inventory via php and either remote admin or some other way

Jor3l Boa
PHP will work if you touch the DB, and RemoteAdmin does not work for Grid mode (at least for creating avatars wich works robust side), you should set up a test build and play with PHP/MySQL until your code is secure enough to use it in production, is the easiest way for me (you can release the code too so we can build a library for OS commands in php :D)

On Tuesday 10 August 2010 16:56:11 Marcus Llewellyn wrote:

> I've created terrain from real-life elevation data. It's something that
> really deserves a proper how-to, but I'll try to sketch the main points out
> here.
>
> First thing you need is the real life data. For 90 meter resolution data
> for much of the planet, you can go to http://srtm.csi.cgiar.org/. For
> future reference, it's also possible to find data at a 30m resolution, but
> so far as I know it's only available for select parts of the United States
> at http://seamless.usgs.gov . Both sites offer the data in the form of a
> GeoTIFF file, and that's what you'll need. Neither site is particularly
> user friendly, so be prepared to poke at it for a while.
>
> Once you have that, you'll want to go and download a program called L3DT
> from http://www.bundysoft.com/L3DT/ . There is a free version of this
> program available there, and it can import a GeoTIFF and convert it into a
> greyscale heightmap suitable for OpenSim. It supports saving as a r32 file,
> which you can load into an OpenSim region from the console.
>
> Obviously, there's lots of little steps I haven't described. Happily,
> Bundysoft has a tutorial on turning a GeoTiff into terrain. It even shows
> you how to get the data you'll need. You can find it here:
> http://www.bundysoft.com/wiki/doku.php?id=tutorials:l3dt:srtm
>
> If you follow that tutorial, you should get pretty close. All you'll need
> to do is export the L3DT heightmap to r32 files sliced to 256x256 pixels
> in size, and then load each one into the appropriate OpenSim region with
> the console.
I wonder whether it's possible to automate heightmap processing for a certain
region inworld. I'm using a mapping tool for
opensim(http://hwios.org/wiki/OSMaps) which adds an opensim maplayer on top of
openstreetmap. I don't see any geographical reference system in the heightmap
files that are available on http://dds.cr.usgs.gov/srtm/ , so i suspect it
won't be possible to process a piece of heightmap between two coordinates?

kind regards,

Jeroen

Re: transfering inventory via php and either remote admin or some other way

Jeroen van Veen
Maybe we should start thinking about creating a grid-webapi, and use the wifi
code as example for that? A websocket server for opensim with a jsonrpc api
would be cool, so you can get live presence-information without the polling
nightmare.

kind regards,

Jeroen

On Wednesday 11 August 2010 06:29:41 Jor3l Boa wrote:

> PHP will work if you touch the DB, and RemoteAdmin does not work for Grid
> mode (at least for creating avatars wich works robust side), you should set
> up a test build and play with PHP/MySQL until your code is secure enough to
> use it in production, is the easiest way for me (you can release the code
> too so we can build a library for OS commands in php :D)
>
> 2010/8/10 Dickson, Mike (ISS Software) <[hidden email]>
>
> >  Simian Grid is supposed to support a WEBDAV interface for inventory.
> >  I'd
> >
> > wanted to have a look for that feature alone but haven't had a chance
> > yet.
> >
> >  If anyone has tried SimianGrid with OpenSim and tried that feature
> >  perhaps
> >
> > they can comment.
> >

> > Mike

I would love to see it simplified and I am sure so many others would too.

Jeroen van Veen wrote:

> On Tuesday 10 August 2010 16:56:11 Marcus Llewellyn wrote:
>
>> I've created terrain from real-life elevation data. It's something that
>> really deserves a proper how-to, but I'll try to sketch the main points out
>> here.
>>
>> First thing you need is the real life data. For 90 meter resolution data
>> for much of the planet, you can go to http://srtm.csi.cgiar.org/. For
>> future reference, it's also possible to find data at a 30m resolution, but
>> so far as I know it's only available for select parts of the United States
>> at http://seamless.usgs.gov . Both sites offer the data in the form of a
>> GeoTIFF file, and that's what you'll need. Neither site is particularly
>> user friendly, so be prepared to poke at it for a while.
>>
>> Once you have that, you'll want to go and download a program called L3DT
>> from http://www.bundysoft.com/L3DT/ . There is a free version of this
>> program available there, and it can import a GeoTIFF and convert it into a
>> greyscale heightmap suitable for OpenSim. It supports saving as a r32 file,
>> which you can load into an OpenSim region from the console.
>>
>> Obviously, there's lots of little steps I haven't described. Happily,
>> Bundysoft has a tutorial on turning a GeoTiff into terrain. It even shows
>> you how to get the data you'll need. You can find it here:
>> http://www.bundysoft.com/wiki/doku.php?id=tutorials:l3dt:srtm
>>
>> If you follow that tutorial, you should get pretty close. All you'll need
>> to do is export the L3DT heightmap to r32 files sliced to 256x256 pixels
>> in size, and then load each one into the appropriate OpenSim region with
>> the console.
>>
> I wonder whether it's possible to automate heightmap processing for a certain
> region inworld. I'm using a mapping tool for
> opensim(http://hwios.org/wiki/OSMaps) which adds an opensim maplayer on top of
> openstreetmap. I don't see any geographical reference system in the heightmap
> files that are available on http://dds.cr.usgs.gov/srtm/ , so i suspect it
> won't be possible to process a piece of heightmap between two coordinates?
>
> kind regards,
>
> Jeroen
12