IAR Files

TaraDesoto
Hello

  I just want to send out a word of caution to the users or potential users of the dodgy types of viewers that you have mentioned .  There is currently an SQL database being assembled with the names of users who are using these clients and apparently many of them have been banned .   Here is a link to the name list , just to show that its out there .

http://209.85.229.132/search?q=cache:2tOCP9mcwU4J:pastebin.com/pastebin.php%3Fdl%3Dd4ac68943+insilico+copybot&cd=8&hl+en&ct=clnk&gl=uk&client=firefox-a]

  Please use caution with these viewers at the moment ,  unless you don't mind your name being gathered in a database .  Also please note that using a secondary avie  instead of your main avie  doesn't neccessarily protect your main avatar or any other avie that is being used by your IP .   General  IP bans are known to happen and you are lucky if your secondary avie is the only one that has been taken .   At the present time , it is probably best to steer away from these viewers unless you really know what you are doing and know or speak to the developer of the viewer .

Kind Regards
Tara

Re: IAR Files

Karen_Palen
Like so many "instant" solutions this one is pure snake oil!

It seems that many Emerald and Mac LL viewer users are being banned as well.

As near as I can find out this is actually a "turf war" between two content thieves!

Be very careful what you believe from all of this fuss.

Karen

>   I just want to send out a word of caution to the users
> or potential users of the dodgy types of viewers that you
> have mentioned .  There is currently an SQL database being
> assembled with the names of users who are using these
> clients and apparently many of them have been banned .
> Here is a link to the name list , just to show that its out
> there .
>

> http://209.85.229.132/search?q=cache:2tOCP9mcwU4J:pastebin.com/pastebin.php%3Fdl%3Dd4ac68943+insilico+copybot&cd=8&hl+en&ct=clnk&gl=uk&client=firefox-a]
>

>   Please use caution with these viewers at the moment ,
> unless you don't mind your name being gathered in a
> database .  Also please note that using a secondary avie
> instead of your main avie  doesn't neccessarily protect
> your main avatar or any other avie that is being used by
> your IP .   General  IP bans are known to happen and you
> are lucky if your secondary avie is the only one that has
> been taken .   At the present time , it is probably best
> to steer away from these viewers unless you really know what
> you are doing and know or speak to the developer of the
> viewer .
>

> Kind Regards
> Tara
>

> -----Inline Attachment Follows-----

Re: IAR Files

Len W. Brown
On Tue, Feb 23, 2010 at 11:31 AM, Tara Desoto <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

As with everything else, IP bans and avie bans can easily be circumvented.  Creating free Second Life accounts and using false "real names" as well as using IP spoofers and even hardware MAC address spoofers is as easily found online as the hacked viewers themselves.

When "backing up" my items in Second Life, my free account appeared to originate in a completely different country and the IP address was likewise some random data, like 123.45.67.890.

It's been proven since the dawn of Pirate Radio Stations that nothing will stop those who desire doing something they want to do, no matter what it is.  As usual, it's those of us wanting a proper tool to use for our own legitimate means who wind up getting shafted in the end.  Pun intended.  :)

- Len

Re: IAR Files

Karen_Palen
Well said Len, that is exactly my problem with the panic and the witch hunts!

Karen

On Tue, Feb 23, 2010 at 5:04 PM, Karen Palen <[hidden email]> wrote:
Well said Len, that is exactly my problem with the panic and the witch hunts!

Karen

Karen,

     Something just came to mind and I checked it out and had to laugh - hard...

     I have a Linksys Wireless Router.  No biggie.  Typical cheap-o Wal-Mart Special.  But I lgged into it like I did when I set up my wifi and encryption.

     There in black and white it shone out at me - "MAC Address Replicator" which allows me to plug in my desktop pc, 'replicate its MAC Address' and then the router will tell my ISP that my router is, in fact, my desktop computer.

     This has been standard in all routers I can remember, even before wireless was even a commodity on home computers.  That's because (used to) many ISPs would grant access to a single desktop computer by its MAC address.  If you changed to a different computer you had to call your ISP and have them manually accept the new MAC of the new computer.  Of course, that is now pretty much history.  With most cable Internet accounts you do have to restart your cable modem before another computer will be able to access the Internet.

     Thing is, back in the day the idea was 1 Internet Connection = 1 Computer System.  When routers appeared, to the dismay of ISP's they immediately included the MAC Address replication feature so the ISP would think the router was a pc.  Then of course, all pcs connected to it appears to come from a single computer.

     And with port-forwarding, etc, well the rest is history in the making.

Anyway, just found it amusing to remember the MAC Addy replication thing.  Though if it comes from your house, your ISP still knows it was YOU.

     Unless you learn from the Chinese who learned how to bypass their firewalls and access the net unrestricted.  Virtual Private Networking is just the tip of that iceberg.  :)

--
- Len W. Brown

Re: IAR Files

Karen_Palen
Actually if you look closely the Cable modem MAC address is the only way your ISP can identify you!

I actually had to change my MAC address when I got a new modem a few years ago because the repair guy didn't have the password to change it at their end! Well so he said anyway.

He admitted that this was the only way they could identify a user.

I am sure there are many exploits based on this too :-(

Karen