IAR files - question about uploading

Lindy (McKeown) Orwin
Hi all
Is the only way to upload IAR files to do it via the console? Is there a way via the viewer?

Lindy

--

Lindy (McKeown) Orwin
Second Life and OpenSim Grids  - Decka Mah

"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." Albert Einstein

Re: IAR files - question about uploading

Mic Bowman
yes... via the console.

and i have the oar files loaded. not sure what will happen when we restart. with the conversion to non-megaregions, the objects all have to get "moved" to the correct regions. we should let it sit for awhile and then restart.

--mic

On Mon, Nov 28, 2011 at 10:00 AM, Lindy Orwin <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi all
Is the only way to upload IAR files to do it via the console? Is there a way via the viewer?

Lindy

--

Lindy (McKeown) Orwin
Second Life and OpenSim Grids  - Decka Mah
Virtual World Project Manager:
Hypatia - A STEM Virtual World for Girls (USA)
and
SPICE Virtual Worlds for Counselling and Social Work (Australia)

"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." Albert Einstein

Re: IAR files - question about uploading

There's currently no way to do this via the viewer.  I'd love to implement a capability for this but I'm reluctant to do
it before looking at improving the default asset service with file system storage, de-duping and compression since I
would expect that implement IAR viewer upload (as an option) would put more strain on this system.

On 28/11/11 18:00, Lindy Orwin wrote:

> Hi all
> Is the only way to upload IAR files to do it via the console? Is there a way via the viewer?
>
> Lindy
>

> --
>
> Lindy (McKeown) Orwin
> Second Life and OpenSim Grids  - Decka Mah
> Virtual World Project Manager:
> Hypatia - A STEM Virtual World for Girls (USA)
> <http://www.edlabgroup.org/projects/hypatia.html>and
> SPICE Virtual Worlds for Counselling and Social Work
> <http://wikiresearcher.org/DEHub_Research_Projects/University_of_New_England> (Australia)
>

> "/Reality/ is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." Albert Einstein

http://justincc.org/blog

Re: IAR files - question about uploading

Robert L martin
On Mon, Nov 28, 2011 at 4:26 PM, Justin Clark-Casey
<[hidden email]> wrote:
>  I'd love to implement a capability for this but I'm reluctant to do it
> before looking at improving the default asset service with file system
> storage, de-duping and compression since I would expect that implement IAR
> viewer upload (as an option) would put more strain on this system.
 not to mention that it would be obserdly complex to do this in a
reliable fashion since you would have to
1 unpack the archive
2 enumerate and dedupe all of the assets
3 rez the prim assets and upload the texture text assets
4 actually build each asset (and i don't think any viewer has CURRENT
clothing asset import)
5 rebuild the inventory folders

and im not sure if i have the correct steps and stages (but i think im close)

--
Robert L Martin

Re: IAR files - question about uploading

James Hughes
On 11/28/2011 04:26 PM, Justin Clark-Casey wrote:
> There's currently no way to do this via the viewer. I'd love to
> implement a capability for this but I'm reluctant to do it before
> looking at improving the default asset service with file system storage,
> de-duping and compression since I would expect that implement IAR viewer
> upload (as an option) would put more strain on this system.

check this out...
https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Second_Life_Marketplace_Direct_Delivery_FAQ

-BlueWall

Re: IAR files - question about uploading

M.E. Verhagen
could it be implemented in the remote admin ?

the remote admin already has a functionality for uploading oar files. So it is possible to upload oar files through a web interface.
It would be nice if that could also be done with iar files.

2011/11/29 BlueWall <[hidden email]>
On 11/28/2011 04:26 PM, Justin Clark-Casey wrote:
There's currently no way to do this via the viewer. I'd love to
implement a capability for this but I'm reluctant to do it before
looking at improving the default asset service with file system storage,
de-duping and compression since I would expect that implement IAR viewer
upload (as an option) would put more strain on this system.

check this out...
https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Second_Life_Marketplace_Direct_Delivery_FAQ

-BlueWall

Re: IAR files - question about uploading

justincc
It should be entirely possible to implement this in RemoteAdmin but I don't have the immediate need (or the time) to do
it this way.  Patches are welcome.

On 29/11/11 08:27, M.E. Verhagen wrote:

> could it be implemented in the remote admin ?
>
> the remote admin already has a functionality for uploading oar files. So it is possible to upload oar files through a
> web interface.
> It would be nice if that could also be done with iar files.
>
> 2011/11/29 BlueWall <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>>
>
>     On 11/28/2011 04:26 PM, Justin Clark-Casey wrote:
>
>         There's currently no way to do this via the viewer. I'd love to
>         implement a capability for this but I'm reluctant to do it before
>         looking at improving the default asset service with file system storage,
>         de-duping and compression since I would expect that implement IAR viewer
>         upload (as an option) would put more strain on this system.
>

>     check this out...
>     https://wiki.secondlife.com/__wiki/Second_Life_Marketplace___Direct_Delivery_FAQ
>     <https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Second_Life_Marketplace_Direct_Delivery_FAQ>
>

>     -BlueWall

http://justincc.org/blog

Re: IAR files - question about uploading

I'm not sure what you're talking about.  1, 3, 4, 5 are already taken care of by iar upload.  This would be an entirely
different mechanism from the inventory item upload currently implemented in some viewers (e.g. imprudence).

The harder part is deduping in 2.

On 29/11/11 00:18, Robert Martin wrote:

> On Mon, Nov 28, 2011 at 4:26 PM, Justin Clark-Casey
> <[hidden email]>  wrote:
>>   I'd love to implement a capability for this but I'm reluctant to do it
>> before looking at improving the default asset service with file system
>> storage, de-duping and compression since I would expect that implement IAR
>> viewer upload (as an option) would put more strain on this system.
>   not to mention that it would be obserdly complex to do this in a
> reliable fashion since you would have to
> 1 unpack the archive
> 2 enumerate and dedupe all of the assets
> 3 rez the prim assets and upload the texture text assets
> 4 actually build each asset (and i don't think any viewer has CURRENT
> clothing asset import)
> 5 rebuild the inventory folders
>
> and im not sure if i have the correct steps and stages (but i think im close)

http://justincc.org/blog

Re: IAR files - question about uploading

Robert L martin
On Tue, Nov 29, 2011 at 5:22 PM, Justin Clark-Casey
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> I'm not sure what you're talking about.  1, 3, 4, 5 are already taken care
> of by iar upload.  This would be an entirely different mechanism from the
> inventory item upload currently implemented in some viewers (e.g.
> imprudence).

but how could you be recognized by the inventory server as being able
to access the filesystem when you are using a viewer (not the
console)??

Unless this is some sort of asset delivery service type thing. On the
SL grid this would be a NIGHTMARE (counting up the upload cost would
be fiddly)

------
Robert L Martin

Re: IAR files - question about uploading

justincc
The IAR would be uploaded directly from the viewer.

This has nothing to do with an in-grid content delivery service.

But yes, this is probably really more for situations where upload cost can be absorbed, or where one is willing to take
other steps to deal with it (e.g. in principle one could examine an IAR and generate an upload cost for assets that
aren't already stored in the target asset service).

http://justincc.org/blog

Re: IAR files - question about uploading

Robert L martin
On Tue, Nov 29, 2011 at 6:00 PM, Justin Clark-Casey
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> The IAR would be uploaded directly from the viewer.

so it would work like a super sized "bulk" upload type thing that could be nifty

--
Robert L Martin

On 29/11/11 23:18, Robert Martin wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 29, 2011 at 6:00 PM, Justin Clark-Casey
> <[hidden email]>  wrote:
>> The IAR would be uploaded directly from the viewer.
>
> so it would work like a super sized "bulk" upload type thing that could be nifty

Yes.

http://justincc.org/blog