Idea for new project "Personal OpenSim Webshop"..

Idea for new project "Personal OpenSim Webshop"..

Opensimfan
Hi, i have an idea for a (possible) big project a "Personal OpenSim Webshop"   i'm thinking about a "in-world"
vendor that communicates with a website or web server.  the whole webshop has to be Opensim based,
this way everyone who uses Opensim is able to use it...  server addresses from/to website/vendor have to
be changeable, this way the webshop system can be used for other grid servers and webservers.
(a little like X-Street-SL, but less heavy) other idea's are welcome....

with this, you can offer all you in-world stuff on your own website (free and non-free)

for non-free you can use "paypal"  see "make paypal buttons for website" on the Paypal website.
Or use PayPal eCommerce Toolkit extension for Dreamweaver
Opensim doesn't have a working money module yet, so thats not an option...

unfortunately I have only basic knowledge about creating a website,  so php coding (web-server) should be done by an expert.

everyone who's willing to make this project come true, let me know....

Dutch..

OpenSimFan

My Opensim/Second Life Blog
http://verwijs.wordpress.com

(Dutch, basic hardware/software help windows, Mac, Linux)
http://verwijs-pc.nl

My Twitter Page:
http://twitter.com/OpenSimFan

My Facebook page (be my friend, please )
http://www.facebook.com/andre.verwijs

My Google+ page (follow me please )
André Verwijs - Google+

Re: Idea for new project "Personal OpenSim Webshop"..

Karen Palen
Hi,

I think your idea is GREAT!

However (surprise!) there are soem nasty problems to be solved firts:

1) We need to uniquely identify the avatar over several grids/worlds

2) We need to uniquely identify the product (object, wearable, animation or whatever) in th esame way.

3) The whole system needs to be robust enough to withstand at least the obvious "spoofing" (pirate) attacks!

These are all "do-able" goals, however they do NOT exist today and need some very careful thought about the basic data structures and the resultant implementations.

I feel strongly enough about this issue that I will commit to spending time with you in developing such a scheme, but be aware that it is a very subtle problem with many traps!

Karen

On Wed, Jun 23, 2010 at 2:10 PM, DutchGlory <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi, i have an idea for a (possible) big project a "Personal OpenSim Webshop"
i'm thinking about a "in-world"
vendor that communicates with a website or web server.  the whole webshop
has to be Opensim based,
this way everyone who uses Opensim is able to use it...  server addresses
from/to website/vendor have to
be changeable, this way the webshop system can be used for other grid
servers and webservers.
(a little like XStreet SL, but less heavy) other idea's are welcome....

with this, you can offer all you in-world stuff on you own website (free and
non-free)

for non-free you can use "paypal"  see "
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_singleitem-intro-outside make
paypal buttons for website " on the paypal website.
Or use  http://www.adobe.com/devnet/dreamweaver/articles/paypal_ext.html
PayPal eCommerce Toolkit extension for Dreamweaver
Opensim doesn't have a working money module yet, so thats not an option...

unfortunately I have only basic knowledge about crating a website,  so php
coding (webserver) should be done by an expert.

everyone who's willing to make this project come true, let me know....

Dutch..

Re: Idea for new project "Personal OpenSim Webshop"..

Opensimfan
Thank you Karen and Jor3l for replying

I know, this will be a complex project (if it comes true)  first we need a place to store the project (files and code)
with access for developers only to build up the project as a team. And before we even start writing code we have to make
a solid plan first on how to set everything up (communication: http or xmlrpc, Strorage: MySQL or other way.
And most important, security) and final, implement a GNU license (free i think)

the idea is for anyone to be able to run it on his/her own PC/Mac (like Opensim) this way everybody is able to use it....
to use it you will need to set up a webserver for your self, but with "Apache" (Funny, fast Youtube video here)
or Abyss Web Server 2.6 (multi OS versions) this should be easy to do.

well i hope this project will be a success, there aren't much "virtual world" webshops avavaiable, so lets make our own.