Importing my textures into opensim from Second Life

Importing my textures into opensim from Second Life

Dr Ramesh Ramloll
Hello,
I am trying to find a way to import full perm textures on full perm objects that I own in Second Life into my opensim environment.
The objects were paid for and delivered to me full perm. Except that at the time, it was deemed not necessary to include the object textures in the object inventories as well, they are of course on the surface of prims.
So, the problem is that most of the textures are on the Second Life servers and I do not have them in my own inventory. Are these textures lost forever?
Thanks
Ramesh
Rameshsharma Ramloll PhD, CEO CTO DeepSemaphore LLC, Affiliate Research Associate Professor, Idaho State University, Pocatello, ID 83209 Tel: 208-240-0040

Re: Importing my textures into opensim from Second Life

GarminKawaguichi
From Linden Lab point of view you cannot export texture if you don't have it full perm in your inventory.

For a texture full perm in your inventory double click it an File => Save texture as...

Are they lost?
- Ask the creator to send you a png file of the texture
- Last if you are very very sure to have rights on this texture, display it on a box face, select it (Alt+Click), zoom in it and copy the screen

GCI

Re: Importing my textures into opensim from Second Life

Juliana Dutra
There was an inventory program that allowed you to save objects and textures you had full perm from Second Life then import it into Opensim. Open Inventory I think.

[6:40 PM] Processing Object: 229 ancient worlds textures
[6:40 PM] Downloading Object: 229 ancient worlds textures
[6:41 PM] Retrieving all primitives for: 229 ancient worlds textures
[6:41 PM] Inspecting Task Content for: 229 ancient worlds textures
[6:41 PM] Downloading Task Assets for: 229 ancient worlds textures
[7:13 PM] Downloading Textures present in: 229 ancient worlds textures
[7:13 PM] Object: 229 ancient worlds textures was successfully saved in:C:\xxxxx\10000++TEXTURES BOXED FULL MOD\229 ancient worlds textures [ID-xxx].slbck
[7:13 PM] Successfully Backed up Item: 229 ancient worlds textures

Re: Importing my textures into opensim from Second Life

Vanish-2

do the objects in question show you as the creator or someone else?

--
The Twilight’s Green Illuminate Beam,
This Great ImBalance, that I’ve seen,

http://tgib.co.uk/

Re: Importing my textures into opensim from Second Life

Ovi Chris Rouly
Ramesh,

If you're also the creator then perhaps SecondInventory might help?
http://www.secondinventory.com/

Chris

Re: Importing my textures into opensim from Second Life

Juliana Dutra
That's the program I was talking about

If you're also the creator then perhaps SecondInventory might help?
http://www.secondinventory.com/

Chris

Re: Importing my textures into opensim from Second Life

Dr Ramesh Ramloll
Thanks all, I studied all the answers. Since I am not the creator but only paid free lancers for the work and the IP , I will have to try to track them down and ask for the files. Hopefully this would not cost extra (it should). Otherwise, I will just print screen textures one by one where possible.

On Thu, Feb 23, 2012 at 4:46 PM, Juliana Dutra <[hidden email]> wrote:
That's the program I was talking about

If you're also the creator then perhaps SecondInventory might help?
http://www.secondinventory.com/

Chris
I am trying to find a way to import full perm textures on full perm objects that I own in Second Life into my opensim environment.
The objects were paid for and delivered to me full perm. Except that at the time, it was deemed not necessary to include the object textures in the object inventories as well, they are of course on the surface of prims.
So, the problem is that most of the textures are on the Second Life servers and I do not have them in my own inventory. Are these textures lost forever?
Thanks
Ramesh
Rameshsharma Ramloll PhD, CEO CTO DeepSemaphore LLC, Affiliate Research Associate Professor, Idaho State University, Pocatello, ID 83209 Tel: <a href="tel:208-240-0040" value="+12082400040" target="_blank">208-240-0040

Rameshsharma Ramloll PhD, CEO CTO DeepSemaphore LLC, Affiliate Research Associate Professor, Idaho State University, Pocatello, ID 83209 Tel: 208-240-0040

On building in Google SketchUp for OpenSim, Second Life, Unity, etc.

Wade Schuette
Comment:   I'm trying to get better at building everything with the
source code and parts and textures outside any virtual world, in the
"real world",  and then importing them into Second Life, OpenSim,
Kitely, whatever after that.   It loses the benefits of a huge SL
marketplace,  but gets the benefits that what's mine is mine.

Basic (not Pro) Google SketchUp is free, and even without the many fancy
plugins,  creates mesh objects that can be exported as Collada .dae
files and imported (with some practice) into Second Life, Open Sim,
Unity3d, Blender, etc.    It's particularly good at making buildings,
because that's what it was designed for.

Took me a while to figure out that I had to set physics to "high" on
import or my avatar couldn't go inside the building because it stopped
at the "bounding box".   And the textures have to be in a file that's in
the same directory as the .dae file during import, and maybe have other
constraints as well.

Still, I just redid a floor of a complex building I'd done in Second
Life, and admittedly I have way more experience now, but I rebuilt in
two hours a building that took me more like 2 weeks to build in SL
originally, and successfully imported it into OSgrid where it's usable.

It takes a while to get the hang of the right order to build things in,
but the documentation is excellent, it has an active usergroup and many
nice plug-ins,   and most of all it's way easier to learn for casual
end-users than building inside Second Life with prims.

I'm thinking that the right package to ask for when contracting for a
building in Second Life, say, is that the work be done in SketchUp, or
something that talks to SketchUp,  where it's easy to share and compare
and save versions ( !!! ) and backups,  and the delivery consists of
BOTH the instanced object in Second Life AND the SketchUp source file,
along with all the textures used for the building.

THEN, you actually own it.

Re: On building in Google SketchUp for OpenSim, Second Life, Unity, etc.

Dr Ramesh Ramloll
Hey Wade,
Regarding.
"Took me a while to figure out that I had to set physics to "high" on import or my avatar couldn't go inside the building because it stopped at the "bounding box". "
I faced a similar issue but it did not get resolved even if I had physics to high... now that it has worked for you, I will try again.
Ramesh