Intermittently unable to teleport into my grid

12

Intermittently unable to teleport into my grid

EGBainbridge/Apollo Manga
This post was updated on .
I've had the hypergrid working for over two years, initially on a Diva standalone and currently on a grid, but recently I have been having a strange problem: intermittently it becomes impossible to teleport into my grid. We can teleport out and return using Teleport Home, but sometimes it's impossible to use a landmark or teleporter to teleport in.

Yesterday for example, one of my users reported being unable to use a teleporter in another grid to teleport to my grid.  I confirmed that it was a problem, but a few hours later, teleports were normal again.  I had not restarted my grid or made any changes.  This morning, after a restart but no changes, the teleport in problem was back when I tried teleporting in several times between 6:30 and 7:00am, but teleports were working normally again at 7:30am, with no restarts or changes. At 8:30am they had stopped working again.

Here is my configuration info (I built the server myself):
OpenSim 0.7.5
18 regions (mostly openspace)
five OpenSim instances
one MySQL database
one Robust instance
OpenSUSE 11.4 Linux server with 16GB RAM and Intel Core i7-2600 Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz 4 core
Mono 2.10.2-36.1
DSL (sonic.net)
Hypergrid address:  http://marin.us.com:8002

My OpenSim.ini's are all identical except for the http_listener_port.

I realize that the DSL can be a problem.  So far I have only a few users.  Sonic.net is such an excellent provider that I'm waiting until I have more users to switch to a faster provider (I can't get Sonic's much faster Fusion service where I live).

If anyone has suggestions, I'll greatly appreciate hearing them.  This one is driving me nuts.

Apollo Manga (Erik Gordon Bainbridge)
Writer, instructor, former software engineer
Northern California
ErikBainbridge.com
VirtualMarin.com
hypergrid: marin.us.com:8002

Re: Intermittently unable to teleport into my grid

John "Pathfinder" Lester
Hi Erik,

For what it's worth, I was able to hypergrid jump into your grid a few times just now and everything was fine.  I jumped from Pathlandia.

pathlandia.dlinkddns.com:9000:Pathlandia (global coordinates: 7777,7777)

I also found your nice collection of hypergrid gates on Angel Island and left you a copy of an updated Blamgate with some neat new features (like "touch to verify remote grid is accessible").

Your Marin Grid look beautiful.  I'll be coming back to explore more. :)

Take care,
-Pathfinder

http://about.me/pathfinder

“If you want to build a ship, don’t drum up the men to gather wood, divide the work and give orders. Instead, teach them to yearn for the vast and endless sea.”  -Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

On Fri, Sep 13, 2013 at 10:13 AM, erikb <[hidden email]> wrote:
I've had the hypergrid working for over two years, initially on a Diva
standalone and currently on a grid.  Recently have been having a strange
problem: intermittently it becomes impossible to teleport into my grid. We
can teleport out and return using Teleport Home, but sometimes it's
impossible to use a landmark or teleporter to teleport in.

Yesterday for example, one of my users reported being unable to use a
teleporter in another grid to teleport to my grid.  I confirmed that it was
a problem, but a few hours later, teleports were normal again.  I had not
restarted my grid or made any changes.  This morning, after a restart but no
changes, the teleport in problem has returned.  I can teleport out but not

-----
 Apollo Manga (
   Erik Gordon Bainbridge)
 Writer, instructor, former software engineer
 Northern California
 ErikBainbridge.com
 VirtualMarin.com

Re: Intermittently unable to teleport into my grid

EGBainbridge/Apollo Manga
This post was updated on .
Pathfinder, thanks for your generous comments, and for the new Blamgate.

My teleport problem is intermittent.  Several times today, I've been unable to teleport in, but at other times I've had no problem.  I tested it a few minutes ago and it was OK.  I haven't restarted or changed anything.

It's embarrassing that I can't solve this teleport problem.  I'm assuming it's either an uninitialized variable in one of my config files, or a problem developing in my modem or router, or an internet connection issue.  I rent an old house with questionable wiring (my computers are on the only grounded outlets in the house), so I can't rule out house wiring as a possible cause of the problem. I've tested the outlets to confirm they are grounded.

Regarding Virtual Marin: I've removed five regions from Virtual Marin to make room for a development project I'm doing for a company. It's my first paid job doing OpenSim development (most of the company's regions are off limits to hypergrid visitors).  If you come back to explore, you might want to check out Mount Tamalpais, a replica of the SF Bay Area's Mount Tamalpais, which I generated from USGS topographic data.

Erik

Apollo Manga (Erik Gordon Bainbridge)
Writer, instructor, former software engineer
Northern California
ErikBainbridge.com
VirtualMarin.com
hypergrid: marin.us.com:8002

Re: Intermittently unable to teleport into my grid

Shaun T. Erickson
On 9/13/13 7:06 PM, EGBainbridge/Apollo Manga wrote:
> Pathfinder, thanks for your generous comments, and for the new Blamgate.
>
> My teleport problem is intermittent.  Several times today, I've been unable
> to teleport in, but at other times I've had no problem.  I tested it a few
> minutes ago and it was OK.  I haven't restarted or changed anything.
Is is possibly a DNS or routing issue, external to your network?

On the other hand, I just tried to search for marin.us.com:8002 in my
viewer map and it doesn't find it. When I look on my region console, I see:

[HYPERGRID LINKER]: Link to marin.us.com:8002 , in 26600-0
[GATEKEEPER SERVICE CONNECTOR]: Linking to http://marin.us.com:8002/
[GATEKEEPER SERVICE CONNECTOR]: Exception Error: ConnectFailure
(Connection refused)
[MAPSEARCHMODULE]: search marin.us.com:8002 returned 0 regions. Flags=2

-ste

P.S.: I hope you enjoy the new Blamgate. I took the best parts of
Pathfinder's original, and a teleporter Diva made, to come up with the
current version. :-)

On 9/14/13 11:03 AM, Shaun T. Erickson wrote:

> On 9/13/13 7:06 PM, EGBainbridge/Apollo Manga wrote:
>> Pathfinder, thanks for your generous comments, and for the new Blamgate.
>>
>> My teleport problem is intermittent.  Several times today, I've been
>> unable
>> to teleport in, but at other times I've had no problem.  I tested it
>> a few
>> minutes ago and it was OK.  I haven't restarted or changed anything.
> Is is possibly a DNS or routing issue, external to your network?
>
> On the other hand, I just tried to search for marin.us.com:8002 in my
> viewer map and it doesn't find it. When I look on my region console, I
> see:
>
> [HYPERGRID LINKER]: Link to marin.us.com:8002 , in 26600-0
> [GATEKEEPER SERVICE CONNECTOR]: Linking to http://marin.us.com:8002/
> [GATEKEEPER SERVICE CONNECTOR]: Exception Error: ConnectFailure
> (Connection refused)
> [MAPSEARCHMODULE]: search marin.us.com:8002 returned 0 regions. Flags=2
I just tried again, an hour later, and this time your region was found
and I arrived there just fine.

-ste

(AKA: Shaun Emerald (in-world), Smxy (IRC))

Re: Intermittently unable to teleport into my grid

John "Pathfinder" Lester
Hi Shaun!  Thank you again for sharing your updated Blamgates.  I love them, and as you can see I'm doing my best to spread them all over the place. ;)

And for those of you who haven't been there, be sure to visit Shaun's Sanctuary Grid (sanctuary.homelinux.org:8012:Eld).  He's got an amazing collection of Hypergates there that will teleport you all over the place.

On Sat, Sep 14, 2013 at 11:03 AM, Shaun T. Erickson <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Shaun, thanks for checking, and thanks for creating the new Blamgate.

You posted the message at about the time I was working on my grid, so it was probably down when you tried it.  I'm still building the grid, so I ask my users not to log on in the morning (5am-8am weekdays, 5am-noon weekends, Pacific Time) so I can bring it down for development and testing.

The problem began occurring at about the time I switched from single instance to multiple instances, so this morning I created a single instance version to test, but I still had the same teleport in problem.

Next I'll try restoring one of my earlier single instance versions as a test, but I'll be spending today doing volunteer work in RL, so I won't be able to work on it again until tomorrow or Monday.

The one important clue I have so far is that it always happens when the grid has just been restarted, but later becomes intermittent, with teleports into the grid sometimes being possible and other times not being possible.  This is making me suspect the cause is a variable not being initialized properly and/or sometimes being reset to an improper value.

Teleports from the grid and Teleport Home always work.  It's only teleports into the grid that intermittently don't work.

hypergrid: marin.us.com:8002

Re: Intermittently unable to teleport into my grid

EGBainbridge/Apollo Manga
This post was updated on .
Here are some more clues:

1) When I first restart my grid, I can teleport out but it's impossible to teleport in.  This is true both for avatars teleporting back to my grid and for avatars from other grids teleporting in.  After a few hours, it becomes intermittent, then finally after a few more hours teleporting seems OK.

2) Teleporting out:  I never have a problem teleporting out, but I do get an error message:

[HOME AGENT HANDLER]: Unauthorized machine 76.191.192.250 tried to set client ip to 76.191.192.250

3) Teleporting in: I sometimes get the Unauthorized machine message when teleporting in, but not every time.  When teleporting in fails, I sometimes I only get a single line in the log file, for example:

[GATEKEEPER SERVICE]: Request to get hyperlink region 14d0171f-a28d-48be-830a-77dcf3baa6a6

When the teleport in fails, the viewer gives me the message "Could not teleport: The teleport destination could not be found"

I'm sure the problem is something in my config files not being set correctly or not being set at all.  I've verified that I only use the FQDN in my config files, never the IP address, and I've verified that all my FQDN's are the same case.

Does anyone have any suggestions for what I should check next?

Apollo Manga (Erik Gordon Bainbridge)
Writer, instructor, former software engineer
Northern California
ErikBainbridge.com
VirtualMarin.com
hypergrid: marin.us.com:8002

Re: Intermittently unable to teleport into my grid

justincc
As the problem is intermittent, I would strongly suspect a network issue of some kind.  Afaik, there's no OpenSimulator
config setting that could trigger this kind of behaviour.  I'm not a complete expert on the inner workings of inbound
Hypergrid connections but I would be very surprised if there's anything that could trigger this kind of thing.

On 15/09/13 17:48, EGBainbridge/Apollo Manga wrote:

> Here are some more clues:
>
> 1) When I first restart my grid, I can teleport out but it's impossible to
> teleport in.  This is true both for avatars teleporting back to my grid and
> for avatars from other grids teleporting in.  After a few hours, it becomes
> intermittent, then finally after a few more hours teleporting seems OK.
>
> 2) Teleporting out:  I never have a problem teleporting out, but I do get an
> error message:
>
> [HOME AGENT HANDLER]: Unauthorized machine 76.191.192.250 tried to set
> client ip to 76.191.192.250
>
> 3) Teleporting in: I sometimes get the Unauthorized machine message when
> teleporting in, but not every time.  When teleporting in fails, I sometimes
> I only get a single line in the log file:
>
> [HOME AGENT HANDLER]: Unauthorized machine 76.191.192.250 tried to set
> client ip to 76.191.192.250
>

> I'm sure the problem is something in my config files not being set correctly
> or not being set at all.  I've verified that I only use the FQDN in my
> config files, never the IP address, and I've verified that all my FQDN's are
> the same case.
>
> Does anyone have any suggestions for what I should check next?
>

> -----
>   Apollo Manga (Erik Gordon Bainbridge)
>   Writer, instructor, former software engineer
>   Northern California
>   ErikBainbridge.com
>   VirtualMarin.com

OSVW Consulting

Re: Intermittently unable to teleport into my grid

EGBainbridge/Apollo Manga
This post was updated on .
Thanks Justin.  That gives me some indication of where I should look.  It's still perplexing, and difficult to solve because I now have people doing real work on my grid, so I can't take any chances on interrupting their access.

hypergrid: marin.us.com:8002

Re: Intermittently unable to teleport into my grid

justincc
Actually, if you're using Git master code not older than a couple of months, you might want to take a look at [1] and
see if this describes your issues.  This mantis is concerned with issues that some people have been having since the
recent teleport changes were introduced.

If you're using much older code or OpenSimulator 0.7.5 then this won't apply.

[1] http://opensimulator.org/mantis/view.php?id=6755
On 19/09/13 17:30, EGBainbridge/Apollo Manga wrote:

> Thanks Justin.  That gives me some indication of where I should look.  It's
> still perplexing, and difficult to solve because I now have people doing
> real work on my grid, so I can't take any changes on interrupting their
> access.
>

> -----
>   Apollo Manga (Erik Gordon Bainbridge)
>   Writer, instructor, former software engineer
>   Northern California
>   ErikBainbridge.com
>   VirtualMarin.com

OSVW Consulting

Re: Intermittently unable to teleport into my grid

EGBainbridge/Apollo Manga
I'm using vanilla 0.7.5, so it doesn't apply to me, but thanks for bringing it to my attention.

As a former software developer, I do want to start trying some Git master code and looking into OpenSim's innards. I was waiting until I know OpenSim better, but now I'm not trying any unofficial releases while I have users doing real world work in my grid, which I didn't anticipate happening so soon.

Apollo Manga (Erik Gordon Bainbridge)
Writer, instructor, former software engineer
Northern California
ErikBainbridge.com
VirtualMarin.com
hypergrid: marin.us.com:8002

Re: Intermittently unable to teleport into my grid

Teravus Ovares
Two questions that can rule out one possible reason for the issues
you're encountering:

What viewer are you using?

How many regions do you generally have on the same instance near each
other? In non-technical speak that roughly means, When you start your
OpenSim.exe on your server, how many regions pop up on the map?

Thanks

Best Regards

Teravus

On Thu, Sep 19, 2013 at 6:21 PM, EGBainbridge/Apollo Manga
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> I'm using vanilla 0.7.5, so it doesn't apply to me, but thanks for bringing
> it to my attention.
>
> As a former software developer, I do want to start trying some Git master
> code and looking into OpenSim's innards. I was waiting until I know OpenSim
> better, but now I'm not trying any unofficial releases while I have users
> doing real world work in my grid, which I didn't anticipate happening so
> soon.
>

> -----
>  Apollo Manga (Erik Gordon Bainbridge)
>  Writer, instructor, former software engineer
>  Northern California
>  ErikBainbridge.com
>  VirtualMarin.com

Re: Intermittently unable to teleport into my grid

EGBainbridge/Apollo Manga
This post was updated on .
Tevarus, I'm using primarily Singularity, but have also had the problem with Imprudence.

I never considered adjacent regions as a possible cause of the problem.  Should an instance not contain adjacent regions?  I've grouped four of my five instances geographically, with adjacent regions grouped together in an instance.

The instance I use for hypergrid teleporting has three adjacent regions.  I've tried hypergrid teleporting to regions in all instances, but I got the same error message with all of them, that it could not find my destination.

One of the instances is not hypergrid-enabled, so as a test I tried enabling it and restarted all my instances and Robust, but I still had the problem.

Also as a test, I tried starting my grid with only one instance running.  The teleport problem still happened.

A particularly puzzling aspect is that very often the problem clears up after my grid has been running for a few hours.  It doesn't always happen, however, and this morning after running for 24 hours, teleports back to my grid were still impossible.

Another oddity - and likely clue - is that I'm getting an Unauthorized machine error message, but only on successful teleports  For example, this morning I can't teleport back to my grid but I can return by doing a Teleport Home.  When I Teleport Home, I get the error following message:

Unauthorized machine 74.63.198.138 tried to set client ip to 76.191.192.250

The second IP is my server's.  (FYI: I'm consistently using FQDN's, not IP addresses, in my config files.)

I only get this unauthorized machine message on successful hypergrid teleports and Teleport Home's.  When a teleport back into my grid fails, I don't get any messages in the instance and only one message in Robust: "[GATEKEEPER SERVICE]: Request to get hyperlink region " followed by the UUID of the region I'm teleporting to.

Teravus Ovares wrote

hypergrid: marin.us.com:8002

Re: Intermittently unable to teleport into my grid

Teravus Ovares
 What you describe sounds like a configuration issue potentially and
doesn't seem like what I was trying to rule out.

If you want to 100% verify that it's not the case, try setting the
following debug setting in Singularity to 16;
CurlConcurrentConnectionsPerService

You can do this in the debug settings menu in Singularity.    This is
not a permanent settings change, this is just for testing.... and the
change will reset after you close the viewer.   To access the debug
menu, you enable the 'Advanced' menu in Singularity by hitting the
keyboard key combination Control + Alt + d.   Inside the Advanced menu
you will find a 'Debug Settings...' menu item.
When you have the Debug Settings panel open, start typing
CurlConcurrentConnectionsPerService, and it will show up.   At the
bottom of the box after selecting CurlConcurrentConnectionsPerService,
there's a value, change that to 16 and try your teleport again.

Best Regards
Teravus

On Sat, Sep 21, 2013 at 10:18 AM, EGBainbridge/Apollo Manga
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>>> code and looking into OpenSim's innards. I was waiting until I know
>>> OpenSim
>>> better, but now I'm not trying any unofficial releases while I have users
>>> doing real world work in my grid, which I didn't anticipate happening so
>>> soon.
>>>

>>> -----
>>>  Apollo Manga (Erik Gordon Bainbridge)
>>>  Writer, instructor, former software engineer
>>>  Northern California
>>>  ErikBainbridge.com
>>>  VirtualMarin.com
>>> --
>

> -----
>  Apollo Manga (Erik Gordon Bainbridge)
>  Writer, instructor, former software engineer
>  Northern California
>  ErikBainbridge.com
>  VirtualMarin.com

Re: Intermittently unable to teleport into my grid

Teravus, I tried your suggestion with 16 and with several other values, but it didn't change anything.  I was still unable to teleport back.

I appreciate the suggestion.

Apollo Manga (Erik Gordon Bainbridge)
Writer, instructor, former software engineer
Northern California
ErikBainbridge.com
VirtualMarin.com
hypergrid: marin.us.com:8002

Re: Intermittently unable to teleport into my grid

XenaW
I could see on my SIM, hg.osgrid.org:80:open,  someone came from your Grid.
When I tried to TP back to your Grid it was found, but I could not go.
But when I went to Sanctuary I could reach your Grid from there

Re: Intermittently unable to teleport into my grid

EGBainbridge/Apollo Manga
This post was updated on .
XenaW, that's really interesting about you being able to teleport from Sanctuary but not from your grid.  I've been testing teleporting back from several grids, but not yet Sanctuary.  I've now added it to my list of test grids.

The problem tends to be intermittent.  It probably just happened to clear up when you teleported from Sanctuary to my grid.   I tried it just now and was not able to teleport to my grid from either Wright Plaza or Sanctuary.

The interesting thing is that I get a different error message for the two grids.  When I try to teleport back from Wright Plaza, I get the message that the destination cannot be found, but teleporting back from Santuary I get the message that there's a problem at the destination.  I don't have time to look into it today, but will  look at it again this evening or tomorrow.

As I've said in previous posts, the problem tends to happen most during the hours after I first restart my grid.  Then it becomes intermittent, then it usually (but not always) clears up entirely.  This leads me to suspect something in my config files not being initialized correctly, but Justincc suspects it may be a network problem.   I'm looking into both my network and my config files as possible causes.

I restarted my grid at about noon Pacific Time today, so if things go as they usually (but not always!) go, teleporting to my grid will be impossible this afternoon, but will become intermittent this evening and will probably become consistently possible tonight or tomorrow.  For those who feel like testing it, the URI is http://marin.us.com:8002.

hypergrid: marin.us.com:8002

RE: Intermittently unable to teleport into my grid

XenaW
Hi Erik,

For me its not so strange Hypergrid doesnt work properly.
I tried for a few years several grids. Sometimes it works but not always.
I never understood why.
Because of TP I put always in opensim.ini  OSFunctionThreatLevel = VeryHigh

Date: Sun, 22 Sep 2013 12:18:07 -0700
From: [hidden email]
To: [hidden email]
Subject: Re: Intermittently unable to teleport into my grid

XenaW, that's really interesting about you being able to teleport from Sanctuary but not from your grid.  I've been testing teleporting back from several grids, but not yet Sanctuary.

The problem tends to be intermittent.  It probably just happened to clear up when you teleported from Sanctuary to my grid.   I tried it just now and was not able to teleport to my grid from either Wright Plaza or Sanctuary.

The interesting thing is that I get a different error message for the two grids.  When I try to teleport back from Wright Plaza, I get the message that the destination cannot be found, but teleporting back from Santuary I get the message that there's a problem at the destination.  I don't have time to look into it today, but will  look at it again this evening or tomorrow.

As I've said in previous posts, the problem tends to happen most during the hours after I first restart my grid.  Then it becomes intermittent, then it clears up entirely.  This leads me to suspect something in my config files not being initialized correctly, but Justincc suspects it may be a network problem.   I'm looking into both my network and my config files as possible causes.
Apollo Manga (Erik Gordon Bainbridge)
Writer, instructor, former software engineer
Northern California
ErikBainbridge.com
VirtualMarin.com

http://opensim-users.2152040.n2.nabble.com/Intermittently-unable-to-teleport-into-my-grid-tp7580374p7580423.html
To unsubscribe from Intermittently unable to teleport into my grid, click here.
NAML

Re: Intermittently unable to teleport into my grid

R.Gunther
Does HG bij map work fine. because in never use osteleport. but put the right adress in map seacrh. prefferable with region in the same line