Is Second Inventory Worth Having?

Robert Klein
Is anyone using Second Inventory? Is it worth the price and effort for moving assets from SL to OS? Any frustrations we should be aware of? Is there anything similiar or better? Thanks!

-Robert

Re: Is Second Inventory Worth Having?

Mo Hax
Let me be the first very vocal anti-SI person to say yes, it is very worth it. ;)

In fact, I have a draft of me eating many of my words about how bad SI is. Fact is, it is a love hate thing, but properly used it saved me hours of recreating my own content from Second Life in desktop OS sims and eventually in other internal grids. There simply is no alternative currently and any attempt would be way behind SI.

Be warned. It has tons of bugs and quirks and if used incorrectly can bring a grid to its knees. So use caution if you decide to get it.

--
Mo Hax
http://imohax.com/about

Re: Is Second Inventory Worth Having?

Massimo-3
Hi, I buy SecondInventory and Import from SL to OS work with some bugs, and each items is necessary to copy on OS single upedate.. (i try some clothes and texture) but only for items that have copy and transfer authorized.
If I upload from SL and after copy assets on OS inventory and i open (on Os)  for example with SL viewer all ok.
The same if i open my avatar with Hippo viewer.
But if after I utilize other viewer nothing work well
copy assets on Os -->> open with SL viewer all OK - closed
Re-open same avatar on OS with Hyppo viewer not all items work well
Some crash of SI on my pc is normal...
is not the best but at moment i don't see other solution
Bye
Massimo

2009/2/4 Robert Klein <[hidden email]>

Is anyone using Second Inventory? Is it worth the price and effort for moving
assets from SL to OS? Any frustrations we should be aware of? Is there
anything similiar or better? Thanks!

-Robert

Re: Is Second Inventory Worth Having?

Ai Austin

>Is anyone using Second Inventory? Is it worth the price and effort for moving
>assets from SL to OS? Any frustrations we should be aware of? Is there
>anything similiar or better? Thanks!

Yes.. Definitely... I moves most of Virtual University of Edinburgh
from 9 regions in SL to similar regions in Opensim in a period of
about a week... it would have taken MUCH longer to rebuild.  It works
fine with some limitations on use

a) only bother to try to move items where you have full permissions
on everything.. script, textures and all items.

b) No prims inside other prims ... take the prims out, move the rest
and then put them back in

c) no multi-rat objects

d) split builds up into parts less than 30m across and less than 255
total prims in each part. Keep the root pri mof each simple and write
down its location retaliative to some anchor part and make the
building back up in the new situation.

Some problems...

1. Hangs if you try to copy items with an avatar name (e.g.creator)
not on grid you save from., a pain if you get items full perm in
"take copy" on Hypergrid.  I reported that to SE folks.

2. Try to do all this on one copy of SI on one machine. if you run it
on several systems, te textures will be uploaded twice with different UUIDs.

Re: Is Second Inventory Worth Having?

John Sheridan
I love the thing but my biggest complaint - While you can backup a
folder and all thats in it (minus prims that are inside of prims), you
cannot bulk restore that folder.  While I've been hearing that this is
something they are working on, currently the only way to restore in bulk
is to go through the rather tedious process of right clicking ->
restoring each individual item one by one.  But for small items items
such as link sets and boxes of items like animations, sounds, etc.
(provided there are no prims inside the box) it works great! :)
Robert Klein wrote:
> Is anyone using Second Inventory? Is it worth the price and effort for moving
> assets from SL to OS? Any frustrations we should be aware of? Is there
> anything similiar or better? Thanks!
>
> -Robert

Re: Is Second Inventory Worth Having?

Jürgen Hamel
On Wed, 4 Feb 2009 17:07:27 -0500
Mo Hax <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Agreed. And I still struggle with uploaded items not appearing in inventory
> when I log in and then have them suddenly appear later. I have heard others
Hi, I use it also and I must clear cache before I login, then all
things avaible. Perhaps it helps.

Jürgen Hamel

--
Cyrus-Computer GmbH Linux Server Support Jürgen Hamel
Cuon - Warenwirtschaft mit Linux  http://www.cuon.org