Is hyperthreading useful in an OpenSim server?

Is hyperthreading useful in an OpenSim server?

Erik Bainbridge (Apollo Manga)
Is hyperthreading useful in an OpenSim server? I'm planning to build a new server for my grid and am wondering whether the virtual cores provided by hyperthreading (i7, some Xeons) are an advantage in an OpenSim server over a non-hyperthreaded CPU (i5, most Xeons)?

My current server's i7 CPU has hyperthreading. I would like to test its effect on performance by disabling and enabling hyperthreading in the BIOS. Is there a more accurate way to test than using viewer fps and statistics?  I'm currently running OpenSim 0.7.6 on OpenSUSE Linux (I will upgrade soon to the latest OpenSim).

I've considered dual Xeons, but power consumption is a problem. If a non-hyperthreaded CPU performs as well or close to one that's hyperthreaded, then I might get a dual socket motherboard but wait to buy the second Xeon until my grid expands (it's possible to use a single CPU on at least some dual socket Supermicro boards).

Thanks!  I appreciate any advice.

www.VirtualMarin.com
www.ErikBainbridge.com
www.linkedin.com/in/egbainbridge
www.WarriorBrothers.com
www.MountainBikeRoots.com

Re: Is hyperthreading useful in an OpenSim server? (UNCLASSIFIED)

Maxwell, Douglas CIV (US)
Classification: UNCLASSIFIED
Caveats: NONE

No.

v/r -doug

Douglas Maxwell, Ph.D.
Science and Technology Manager
Virtual World Strategic Applications
U.S. Army Research Lab
Simulation & Training Technology Center (STTC)
(c) (407) 242-0209

This email was sent from a non-Department of Defense email account, and
contained active links. All links are disabled, and require you to copy and
paste the address to a Web browser. Please verify the identity of the
sender, and confirm authenticity of all links contained within the message.

[...]

Caution-www.VirtualMarin.com<Caution-www.VirtualMarin.com>
Caution-www.ErikBainbridge.com<Caution-www.ErikBainbridge.com>
Caution-www.linkedin.com/in/egbainbridge<Caution-www.linkedin.com/in/egbainb
ridge>