Is management of OS regions/estates the same as in Second Life?

Is management of OS regions/estates the same as in Second Life?

Josain Zsun

I'm assuming they originated with the same source code, but have they diverged enough that management is noticeably different?

--
Thomas Levenson
Interesting moment w. the 11 y,o. today: "I used to hate losing. Computer games taught me how to lose and keep playing."

Re: Is management of OS regions/estates the same as in Second Life?

justincc
Josain, your assumption is wrong - OpenSimulator was developed entirely separately from Linden Lab's unreleased codebase.

However, management should be broadly similar since it's performed via the common viewer.  However, there are still
missing features that aren't implemented yet.

On 27/03/12 05:30, Josain Zsun wrote:

> I'm assuming they originated with the same source code, but have they diverged enough that management is noticeably
> different?
>

> --
> Thomas Levenson
> Interesting moment w. the 11 y,o. today: "I used to hate losing. Computer games taught me how to lose and keep playing."

http://justincc.org/blog

rendering meshies

Ovi Chris Rouly
Hi Justin,

We've been totally unable to use meshies in our Sims so far this semester.
Well, with the exception of one, "plain vanilla," 0.7.2 MAC laptop install.
The MAC is the only machine (and a laptop at that) that we have that can
demonstrate meshies.  None of our other three machines can even come close.

After the folks praised "plain vanilla" installs recently, I tried a 0.7.3
"plain vanilla" with SQLite install on our main classroom PC.  Still no joy.

Depending on viewer (SL 1/2/3), we can see everything else but meshies.
Meshies, on the other hand, are rendered along a continuum ranging from
absolutely nothing (yet physics tells us something is there) to "shards of
floating glass interconnected by random lines."  I know it sounds strange
but that's how one student has described their meshy rendering.

Do you, or any of the folks reading this have any ideas, Config settings, or
tips on where I may have gone wrong?  ODE is turned on.  Does Bullet play
any role in this?  The meshie lines are all otherwise set true.  I'm
stumped!

I'd be grateful for some advice.

Chris

> Josain, your assumption is wrong - OpenSimulator was developed entirely
separately from Linden Lab's unreleased codebase.

> However, management should be broadly similar since it's performed via the
common viewer.  However, there are still
> missing features that aren't implemented yet.
>
> On 27/03/12 05:30, Josain Zsun wrote:
> >
> > I'm assuming they originated with the same source code, but have they
diverged enough that management is noticeably
> > different?
> >

> > --
> > Thomas Levenson
> > Interesting moment w. the 11 y,o. today: "I used to hate losing.
Computer games taught me how to lose and keep playing."

> Justin Clark-Casey (justincc)
> http://justincc.org/blog
> http://twitter.com/justincc

what chat is/is-not echoed into the Sim

Ovi Chris Rouly
Can anyone explain to me why a typed "say" (chat) line like "hello world" is
echoed into the Sim for all to read yet a typed "say" (chat) line like "/11
model 1234:1234:1234" is not?

Thanks,

Chris

> Josain, your assumption is wrong - OpenSimulator was developed entirely
separately from Linden Lab's unreleased codebase.

> However, management should be broadly similar since it's performed via the
common viewer.  However, there are still
> missing features that aren't implemented yet.
>
> On 27/03/12 05:30, Josain Zsun wrote:
> >
> > I'm assuming they originated with the same source code, but have they
diverged enough that management is noticeably
> > different?
> >

> > --
> > Thomas Levenson
> > Interesting moment w. the 11 y,o. today: "I used to hate losing.
Computer games taught me how to lose and keep playing."

> Justin Clark-Casey (justincc)
> http://justincc.org/blog
> http://twitter.com/justincc

Re: what chat is/is-not echoed into the Sim

Bulli
This is caused by the concept of 'channels'.

All 'readable' in-world chat goes out to channel 0 (zero). When you use the '/xxx' prefix, you specifiy that you want your chat to be sent to another channel (namely 'xxx'). I think that any messages sent to a non-zero chat-channel are only available to scripts running in the simulator. So this would mean that no viewer would receive any messages on a channel other than 0.

Please correct me if I'm wrong!

Ard

Re: what chat is/is-not echoed into the Sim

Wade Schuette
But it IS echoed ... just echoed on channel 11 as you requested, not on
channel zero.
If you put a listener in an object and listen on channel 11, you'll hear
"model 1234:1234:1234".

Wade

On 3/28/12 3:44 AM, Ovi Chris Rouly wrote:

> Can anyone explain to me why a typed "say" (chat) line like "hello world" is
> echoed into the Sim for all to read yet a typed "say" (chat) line like "/11
> model 1234:1234:1234" is not?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Chris

Thanks, Wade!

> But it IS echoed ... just echoed on channel 11 as you requested, not on
> channel zero.
> If you put a listener in an object and listen on channel 11, you'll hear
> "model 1234:1234:1234".
>
> Wade
>
> On 3/28/12 3:44 AM, Ovi Chris Rouly wrote:
> > Can anyone explain to me why a typed "say" (chat) line like "hello
world" is
> > echoed into the Sim for all to read yet a typed "say" (chat) line like
"/11

> > model 1234:1234:1234" is not?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Chris

Re: rendering meshies

Vanilla SL1 will not show mesh content, you will see exactly the "shards of
floating glass interconnected by random lines." that a student described.

Later versions of SL2 will show some beta mesh.  This is an older version of mesh that was never fully released.  They
will not show the newest mesh.

SL3, I believe, should show both current mesh (definitely) and I think the beta mesh.

0.7.3 should behave similarly to 0.7.2 as regards mesh, though 0.7.3 now has collisions for mesh turned on by default.
One thing to always try is to clear your viewer cache.  Different versions of viewers have also been known to corrupt
each other's caches.

http://justincc.org/blog