Is "save iar" broken?

John Hopkin
I'd really like to back up my inv in OSGrid, and the "save iar" and
"load iar" facility was working about six months or so ago, but I've
been trying again and it seems to hang after starting. I get:

Region (<Region name>) # save iar <1st> <2nd> / <passwd> inv.iar
05:30:11 - [INVENTORY ARCHIVER]: PLEASE NOTE THAT THIS FACILITY IS
EXPERIMENTAL.  BUG REPORTS WELCOME.
05:30:11 - [INVENTORY ARCHIVER]: Saving archive inv.iar using
inventory path / for <user name>
05:30:12 - [INVENTORY ARCHIVER]: Creating version 0.1 IAR
05:30:12 - [INVENTORY ARCHIVER]: Added control file to archive.
05:30:12 - [INVENTORY ARCHIVER]: Found folder My Inventory <uuid> at /

And that's all on the console - the sim continues to work as normal,
but input on the console isn't available. 409600 bytes are written
immediately to the archive, but no more. The CPU continues to be
fairly heavily loaded, giving the impression that something is
happening.

The avatar is logged in to the region during all this. I've left it
running overnight, and there was no progress seven hours later. This
is on OpenSim 0.7.1 80f9022, running on Ubuntu, Mono 2.6.7, using
OSGrid asset server.

I know that iar is an experimental feature, but it's extremely handy.
Is there anything I can do to get it working again? Thanks.
--
John Hopkin

Re: Is "save iar" broken?

drwhiet@spacefriends.de
Hi John,

this all depends on several factors ..
The size of your inventory, the speed of the inventorys asset server
and your connection to it AND the lenghth of your 'overnight' of course :-=)

When i did a backup of my inventory when OSGRID was migrationg to .7
it took me 4,5 hours.

The process is like this..

First the save.iar command looks at your inventory and
creates the final .xml structure file of the .iar
Next it starts downloading  all your inventory to a temporary cache folder
After download is complete it writes everything into that .iar file

That the console window is frozen is OK. It is only frozen while creating
the .xml structure file. After that while it downloads everything the
console window is unfrozen.

I think the save.iar writes out this .xml file with every single item. So
if a house has 200 prims and 200 textures and 200 scripts it will write
600 entries for the item into that .xml file.

Also, after that first waiting the second attempt was muuuch faster as
everything was already cached ..

hope this helps ..

best regards
Wordfromthe Wise

> I'd really like to back up my inv in OSGrid, and the "save iar" and
> "load iar" facility was working about six months or so ago, but I've
> been trying again and it seems to hang after starting. I get:
>
> Region (<Region name>) # save iar <1st> <2nd> / <passwd> inv.iar
> 05:30:11 - [INVENTORY ARCHIVER]: PLEASE NOTE THAT THIS FACILITY IS
> EXPERIMENTAL.  BUG REPORTS WELCOME.
> 05:30:11 - [INVENTORY ARCHIVER]: Saving archive inv.iar using
> inventory path / for <user name>
> 05:30:12 - [INVENTORY ARCHIVER]: Creating version 0.1 IAR
> 05:30:12 - [INVENTORY ARCHIVER]: Added control file to archive.
> 05:30:12 - [INVENTORY ARCHIVER]: Found folder My Inventory <uuid> at /
>
> And that's all on the console - the sim continues to work as normal,
> but input on the console isn't available. 409600 bytes are written
> immediately to the archive, but no more. The CPU continues to be
> fairly heavily loaded, giving the impression that something is
> happening.
>
> The avatar is logged in to the region during all this. I've left it
> running overnight, and there was no progress seven hours later. This
> is on OpenSim 0.7.1 80f9022, running on Ubuntu, Mono 2.6.7, using
> OSGrid asset server.
>
> I know that iar is an experimental feature, but it's extremely handy.
> Is there anything I can do to get it working again? Thanks.
> --
> John Hopkin

Re: Is "save iar" broken?

M.E. Verhagen
An inventory archive taking 4,5 hours sounds like a bug to me.

It could take a few minutes to make an inventory backup, not hours.

Re: Is "save iar" broken?

John Hopkin
Thanks, WW.

It's a big inventory, no doubt about that, over 29,000 items, but I
did leave it running for about seven hours with no activity beyond the
pasted lines.

John

[hidden email] wrote:

> Hi John,
>
> this all depends on several factors ..
> The size of your inventory, the speed of the inventorys asset server
> and your connection to it AND the lenghth of your 'overnight' of course :-=)
>
> When i did a backup of my inventory when OSGRID was migrationg to .7
> it took me 4,5 hours.
>
> The process is like this..
>
> First the save.iar command looks at your inventory and
> creates the final .xml structure file of the .iar
> Next it starts downloading  all your inventory to a temporary cache folder
> After download is complete it writes everything into that .iar file
>
> That the console window is frozen is OK. It is only frozen while creating
> the .xml structure file. After that while it downloads everything the
> console window is unfrozen.
>
> I think the save.iar writes out this .xml file with every single item. So
> if a house has 200 prims and 200 textures and 200 scripts it will write
> 600 entries for the item into that .xml file.
>
> Also, after that first waiting the second attempt was muuuch faster as
> everything was already cached ..
>
> hope this helps ..
>
> best regards
> Wordfromthe Wise
>

> > I'd really like to back up my inv in OSGrid, and the "save iar" and
> > "load iar" facility was working about six months or so ago, but I've
> > been trying again and it seems to hang after starting. I get:
> >
> > Region (<Region name>) # save iar <1st> <2nd> / <passwd> inv.iar
> > 05:30:11 - [INVENTORY ARCHIVER]: PLEASE NOTE THAT THIS FACILITY IS
> > EXPERIMENTAL.  BUG REPORTS WELCOME.
> > 05:30:11 - [INVENTORY ARCHIVER]: Saving archive inv.iar using
> > inventory path / for <user name>
> > 05:30:12 - [INVENTORY ARCHIVER]: Creating version 0.1 IAR
> > 05:30:12 - [INVENTORY ARCHIVER]: Added control file to archive.
> > 05:30:12 - [INVENTORY ARCHIVER]: Found folder My Inventory <uuid> at /
> >
> > And that's all on the console - the sim continues to work as normal,
> > but input on the console isn't available. 409600 bytes are written
> > immediately to the archive, but no more. The CPU continues to be
> > fairly heavily loaded, giving the impression that something is
> > happening.
> >
> > The avatar is logged in to the region during all this. I've left it
> > running overnight, and there was no progress seven hours later. This
> > is on OpenSim 0.7.1 80f9022, running on Ubuntu, Mono 2.6.7, using
> > OSGrid asset server.
> >
> > I know that iar is an experimental feature, but it's extremely handy.
> > Is there anything I can do to get it working again? Thanks.
> > --
> > John Hopkin

John Hopkin

Re: Is "save iar" broken?

drwhiet@spacefriends.de
Like i wrote that depends all on different Things. And the gridGods told me this is ok .. Mayby you should ask about "Bug or Not" on opensim-dev. E.g secondinventory is also mit that fast ..

Best regards

Am 29.10.2010 um 14:03 schrieb "M.E. Verhagen" <[hidden email]>:

> An inventory archive taking 4,5 hours sounds like a bug to me.
>
> It could take a few minutes to make an inventory backup, not hours.

Re: Is "save iar" broken?

M.E. Verhagen
An inventoy with about 7027 items takes a 2-3 min to backup giving a 192 mb iar backup file.

Re: Is "save iar" broken?

Marck-2
As Wordfromthe Wise said, it depends on several factors. The backup of my OSgrid inventory with about 5000 items took more than one hour and resulted in a 285 MB iar file.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if John's 29,000 items took a lot longer than 7 hours to backup.

M.E. Verhagen wrote:
> An inventoy with about 7027 items takes a 2-3 min to backup giving a 192
> mb iar backup file.

Re: Is "save iar" broken?

GarminKawaguichi
Think about 2 important things :
- The number of items is not the number found in the inventory window; don't
forget the number of the items included in the content of the objects :) and
if you have containers ... (all-my-vehicles or my-collection-of-textures for
example)

- The other is the large part of big textures in the conversion time.

GCI

> As Wordfromthe Wise said, it depends on several factors. The backup of my
> OSgrid inventory with about 5000 items took more than one hour and
> resulted in a 285 MB iar file.
>
> I wouldn't be surprised at all if John's 29,000 items took a lot longer
> than 7 hours to backup.
>
> M.E. Verhagen wrote:
>> An inventoy with about 7027 items takes a 2-3 min to backup giving a 192
>> mb iar backup file.

Re: Is "save iar" broken?

John Hopkin
Thanks everyone for your responses.

Based on what WftW is saying here, it sounds like it could well still
be processing normally, even though the IAR file doesn't grow and
there's nothing on the console. I'll try it for much longer the next
time I don't need my avatar for a few days. ;)

John

[hidden email] wrote:

> Hi John,
>
> this all depends on several factors ..
> The size of your inventory, the speed of the inventorys asset server
> and your connection to it AND the lenghth of your 'overnight' of course :-=)
>
> When i did a backup of my inventory when OSGRID was migrationg to .7
> it took me 4,5 hours.
>
> The process is like this..
>
> First the save.iar command looks at your inventory and
> creates the final .xml structure file of the .iar
> Next it starts downloading  all your inventory to a temporary cache folder
> After download is complete it writes everything into that .iar file
>
> That the console window is frozen is OK. It is only frozen while creating
> the .xml structure file. After that while it downloads everything the
> console window is unfrozen.
>
> I think the save.iar writes out this .xml file with every single item. So
> if a house has 200 prims and 200 textures and 200 scripts it will write
> 600 entries for the item into that .xml file.
>
> Also, after that first waiting the second attempt was muuuch faster as
> everything was already cached ..
>
> hope this helps ..
>
> best regards
> Wordfromthe Wise
>

> > I'd really like to back up my inv in OSGrid, and the "save iar" and
> > "load iar" facility was working about six months or so ago, but I've
> > been trying again and it seems to hang after starting. I get:
> >
> > Region (<Region name>) # save iar <1st> <2nd> / <passwd> inv.iar
> > 05:30:11 - [INVENTORY ARCHIVER]: PLEASE NOTE THAT THIS FACILITY IS
> > EXPERIMENTAL.  BUG REPORTS WELCOME.
> > 05:30:11 - [INVENTORY ARCHIVER]: Saving archive inv.iar using
> > inventory path / for <user name>
> > 05:30:12 - [INVENTORY ARCHIVER]: Creating version 0.1 IAR
> > 05:30:12 - [INVENTORY ARCHIVER]: Added control file to archive.
> > 05:30:12 - [INVENTORY ARCHIVER]: Found folder My Inventory <uuid> at /
> >
> > And that's all on the console - the sim continues to work as normal,
> > but input on the console isn't available. 409600 bytes are written
> > immediately to the archive, but no more. The CPU continues to be
> > fairly heavily loaded, giving the impression that something is
> > happening.
> >
> > The avatar is logged in to the region during all this. I've left it
> > running overnight, and there was no progress seven hours later. This
> > is on OpenSim 0.7.1 80f9022, running on Ubuntu, Mono 2.6.7, using
> > OSGrid asset server.
> >
> > I know that iar is an experimental feature, but it's extremely handy.
> > Is there anything I can do to get it working again? Thanks.
> > --
> > John Hopkin

John Hopkin

Re: Is "save iar" broken?

Robert L martin
On Fri, Oct 29, 2010 at 5:52 PM, John Hopkin
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thanks everyone for your responses.
>
> Based on what WftW is saying here, it sounds like it could well still
> be processing normally, even though the IAR file doesn't grow and
> there's nothing on the console. I'll try it for much longer the next
> time I don't need my avatar for a few days. ;)
>
> John
>
> [hidden email] wrote:
maybe it could process it in chunks of say 3 megs or so?? or keep a
running total of what is has processed??

--
Robert L Martin

Re: Is "save iar" broken?

John Hopkin
Robert Martin wrote:

> On Fri, Oct 29, 2010 at 5:52 PM, John Hopkin
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Thanks everyone for your responses.
> >
> > Based on what WftW is saying here, it sounds like it could well still
> > be processing normally, even though the IAR file doesn't grow and
> > there's nothing on the console. I'll try it for much longer the next
> > time I don't need my avatar for a few days. ;)
> >
> > John
> >
> > [hidden email] wrote:
> maybe it could process it in chunks of say 3 megs or so?? or keep a
> running total of what is has processed??

Some kind of output would be nice. But I don't see much point in
actually processing it in chunks - unless, that is, half an inventory
backup is better than none (ie an incomplete iar file is still valid).
--
John Hopkin

Re: Is "save iar" broken?

Immediately after the

[INVENTORY ARCHIVER]: Found folder My Inventory <uuid>  at /

OpenSim should start saying things like

[XINVENTORY SERVICE]: Fetch contents for folder 8cb6b32a-2103-4a75-a8cb-c065c0063bf9

The fact that it isn't suggests a failure with the inventory service (I'm assuming you're using the default inventory
service rather than, say, the SimianGrid one).  In this situation, no amount of waiting will move things forward.

What should really happen is that the IAR save should time out, though that wouldn't really help much except to tell you
that it's failed.

Is your inventory service definitely working for all the items in your inventory?

On 29/10/10 22:52, John Hopkin wrote:

> [...]
>>> 05:30:12 - [INVENTORY ARCHIVER]: Creating version 0.1 IAR
>>> 05:30:12 - [INVENTORY ARCHIVER]: Added control file to archive.
>>> 05:30:12 - [INVENTORY ARCHIVER]: Found folder My Inventory<uuid>  at /
>>>
>>> And that's all on the console - the sim continues to work as normal,
>>> but input on the console isn't available. 409600 bytes are written
>>> immediately to the archive, but no more. The CPU continues to be
>>> fairly heavily loaded, giving the impression that something is
>>> happening.
>>>
>>> The avatar is logged in to the region during all this. I've left it
>>> running overnight, and there was no progress seven hours later. This
>>> is on OpenSim 0.7.1 80f9022, running on Ubuntu, Mono 2.6.7, using
>>> OSGrid asset server.
>>>
>>> I know that iar is an experimental feature, but it's extremely handy.
>>> Is there anything I can do to get it working again? Thanks.

Re: Is "save iar" broken?

John Hopkin
Hi Justin

As far as I know, the inventory service - using OSGrid's servers - is
working fine normally. I've had no problems with it in-world, put it
that way.

I've since conducted tests of "save iar" on a couple of other avatars
on OSGrid with much smaller inventories, and that's worked fine as far
as I can tell. So perhaps it's the size of my inventory that's the
problem.

Justin Clark-Casey wrote:

> Immediately after the
>
> [INVENTORY ARCHIVER]: Found folder My Inventory <uuid>  at /
>
> OpenSim should start saying things like
>
> [XINVENTORY SERVICE]: Fetch contents for folder 8cb6b32a-2103-4a75-a8cb-c065c0063bf9
>
> The fact that it isn't suggests a failure with the inventory service (I'm assuming you're using the default inventory
> service rather than, say, the SimianGrid one).  In this situation, no amount of waiting will move things forward.
>
> What should really happen is that the IAR save should time out, though that wouldn't really help much except to tell you
> that it's failed.
>
> Is your inventory service definitely working for all the items in your inventory?
>

> On 29/10/10 22:52, John Hopkin wrote:
> > Thanks everyone for your responses.
> >
> > Based on what WftW is saying here, it sounds like it could well still
> > be processing normally, even though the IAR file doesn't grow and
> > there's nothing on the console. I'll try it for much longer the next
> > time I don't need my avatar for a few days. ;)
> >
> > John
> >
> > [hidden email] wrote:
> >
> >> Hi John,
> >>
> >> this all depends on several factors ..
> >> The size of your inventory, the speed of the inventorys asset server
> >> and your connection to it AND the lenghth of your 'overnight' of course :-=)
> >>
> >> When i did a backup of my inventory when OSGRID was migrationg to .7
> >> it took me 4,5 hours.
> >>
> >> The process is like this..
> >>
> >> First the save.iar command looks at your inventory and
> >> creates the final .xml structure file of the .iar
> >> Next it starts downloading  all your inventory to a temporary cache folder
> >> After download is complete it writes everything into that .iar file
> >>
> >> That the console window is frozen is OK. It is only frozen while creating
> >> the .xml structure file. After that while it downloads everything the
> >> console window is unfrozen.
> >>
> >> I think the save.iar writes out this .xml file with every single item. So
> >> if a house has 200 prims and 200 textures and 200 scripts it will write
> >> 600 entries for the item into that .xml file.
> >>
> >> Also, after that first waiting the second attempt was muuuch faster as
> >> everything was already cached ..
> >>
> >> hope this helps ..
> >>
> >> best regards
> >> Wordfromthe Wise

John Hopkin

Re: Is "save iar" broken?

Serendipity Seraph

On Oct 29, 2010, at 10:12 AM, Marck wrote:

> As Wordfromthe Wise said, it depends on several factors. The backup of my OSgrid inventory with about 5000 items took more than one hour and resulted in a 285 MB iar file.
>
> I wouldn't be surprised at all if John's 29,000 items took a lot longer than 7 hours to backup.

This is a strictly local disk backup, right?  Why would it take anywhere near that long?  Is it the time to pull all the items from the server which I presume is not local?  If so would it be faster for step 1 to simply make a mapping between inventory names and server side ids and send it to the server to complete?   Just thinking out loud and probably with erroneous assumptions to boot.  :)

> M.E. Verhagen wrote:
>> An inventoy with about 7027 items takes a 2-3 min to backup giving a 192
>> mb iar backup file.

Re: Is "save iar" broken?

justincc
On 01/11/10 23:31, Serendipity Seraph wrote:

> On Oct 29, 2010, at 10:12 AM, Marck wrote:
>
>> As Wordfromthe Wise said, it depends on several factors. The backup of my OSgrid inventory with about 5000 items took more than one hour and resulted in a 285 MB iar file.
>>
>> I wouldn't be surprised at all if John's 29,000 items took a lot longer than 7 hours to backup.
>
> This is a strictly local disk backup, right?  Why would it take anywhere near that long?  Is it the time to pull all the items from the server which I presume is not local?  If so would it be faster for step 1 to simply make a mapping between inventory names and server side ids and send it to the server to complete?   Just thinking out loud and probably with erroneous assumptions to boot.  :)

The biggest problem is probably pulling all the asset data down from the server for all those items.  That said, it
could probably be done more efficiently than it is now.

Re: Is "save iar" broken?

On 30/10/10 13:30, John Hopkin wrote:

> Hi Justin
>
> As far as I know, the inventory service - using OSGrid's servers - is
> working fine normally. I've had no problems with it in-world, put it
> that way.
>
> I've since conducted tests of "save iar" on a couple of other avatars
> on OSGrid with much smaller inventories, and that's worked fine as far
> as I can tell. So perhaps it's the size of my inventory that's the
> problem.

Yes, I'm guessing it's not impossible that very large inventories are choking the inventory service response in some way.

You might want to try saving small sections of your inventory and see if that works.