Is the user name the only information used to lock content permissions in opensim?

Is the user name the only information used to lock content permissions in opensim?

Dr Ramesh Ramloll
Hello,

I have been wondering about the following situation. I should perhaps have tried a test case on my own (pardon my laziness), but I thought I would ask first.
Say I have an oar of content all created by 'John Doe' which 'have no mod, no copy ' permissions ie whoever gets this content, and who is not John Doe, will not be able to modify or copy the content.
I now import this content into a different opensim set up, and log in as 'Ann Mary'.
I would expect the content to be no mod, no copy,  from Ann Mary's perspective.
So far so good.
Now, if I log in as John Doe instead of Ann Mary, would the content be moddable and copiable as it now again from John Doe's perspective?

In short, am hoping that the user name is not the only information used to lock content permissions, hopefully the password is used as well.

Thanks.

Ramesh

Re: Is the user name the only information used to lock content permissions in opensim?

When an OAR is saved and loaded into a new sim all owner permissions are kept identical - the next permissions do not
come into play, these only apply when you transfer objects within a simulator.

On loading into a sim, if the owner UUID of those objects matches an existing sim user, they will become the owner and
have the same permissions as before.  If no such user exists, the ownership defaults to the estate owner who will then
effectively get the owner permissions.

On load, one can force prims that have an owner UUID that does not exist on the new system to a named user with the
--default-user option.

On 10/02/15 22:08, Dr Ramesh Ramloll wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have been wondering about the following situation. I should perhaps have tried a test case on my own (pardon my
> laziness), but I thought I would ask first.
> Say I have an oar of content all created by 'John Doe' which 'have no mod, no copy ' permissions ie whoever gets this
> content, and who is not John Doe, will not be able to modify or copy the content.
> I now import this content into a different opensim set up, and log in as 'Ann Mary'.
> I would expect the content to be no mod, no copy,  from Ann Mary's perspective.
> So far so good.
> Now, if I log in as John Doe instead of Ann Mary, would the content be moddable and copiable as it now again from John
> Doe's perspective?
>
> In short, am hoping that the user name is not the only information used to lock content permissions, hopefully the
> password is used as well.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Ramesh

OSVW Consulting

Re: Is the user name the only information used to lock content permissions in opensim?

Dr Ramesh Ramloll
Hi Justin,
Does this then mean that distributing oars with proprietary content not meant to be distributed freely is not possible?
Thanks
Ramesh

On Tue, Feb 10, 2015 at 7:50 PM, Justin Clark-Casey <[hidden email]> wrote:
When an OAR is saved and loaded into a new sim all owner permissions are kept identical - the next permissions do not come into play, these only apply when you transfer objects within a simulator.

On loading into a sim, if the owner UUID of those objects matches an existing sim user, they will become the owner and have the same permissions as before.  If no such user exists, the ownership defaults to the estate owner who will then effectively get the owner permissions.

Re: Is the user name the only information used to lock content permissions in opensim?

justincc
In the sense that there is no technical limitation to further copying that is correct.  One would have to rely on other
means to restrict copying (contracts, DMCA, perhaps watermarking, etc.)

On 11/02/15 01:08, Dr Ramesh Ramloll wrote:

> Hi Justin,
> Does this then mean that distributing oars with proprietary content not meant to be distributed freely is not possible?
> Thanks
> Ramesh
>
> On Tue, Feb 10, 2015 at 7:50 PM, Justin Clark-Casey <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>     When an OAR is saved and loaded into a new sim all owner permissions are kept identical - the next permissions do
>     not come into play, these only apply when you transfer objects within a simulator.
>
>     On loading into a sim, if the owner UUID of those objects matches an existing sim user, they will become the owner
>     and have the same permissions as before.  If no such user exists, the ownership defaults to the estate owner who
>     will then effectively get the owner permissions.

OSVW Consulting

Re: Is the user name the only information used to lock content permissions in opensim?

justincc
There is a save oar option, --home=<url> where one can insert Hypergrid still creator information that will get
preserved when loaded to another grid even if the user does not exist there.

However, I've practically never used this option so I can't say for sure that it still works.

One can do this with creator since the field is relatively free form and not used programatically in any significant
way.  The owner field is a completely different matter (it's used in permissions, for instance) and one can't insert
arbitrary data here without a lot of internal and SL protocol changes.

[1] http://opensimulator.org/wiki/OpenSim_Archives

On 11/02/15 07:22, Unadecal Arado wrote:

> Content saved to an OAR maintains its its creator information and permissions only if it is restored to the same grid
> where the creator information exists. If the OAR is restored to a different grid, where the creator does not exist (as
> in the uuid, not the name), the sim owner would automatically become "creator" and "owner" of all the content in the OAR
> and all previous permission restrictions would be lost. Since everything is referenced by uuid, having multiple accounts
> in different grids with the same name would not solve this issue. Restoring the OAR onto a standalone, local simulator
> would have the same effect of stripping all previous owner and permissions information.
>
> On 11 February 2015 at 01:12, Justin Clark-Casey <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>     In the sense that there is no technical limitation to further copying that is correct.  One would have to rely on
>     other means to restrict copying (contracts, DMCA, perhaps watermarking, etc.)
>
>     On 11/02/15 01:08, Dr Ramesh Ramloll wrote:
>
>         Hi Justin,
>         Does this then mean that distributing oars with proprietary content not meant to be distributed freely is not
>         possible?
>         Thanks
>         Ramesh
>
>         On Tue, Feb 10, 2015 at 7:50 PM, Justin Clark-Casey <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>
>         <mailto:jjustincc@googlemail.__com <mailto:[hidden email]>>> wrote:
>
>              When an OAR is saved and loaded into a new sim all owner permissions are kept identical - the next
>         permissions do
>              not come into play, these only apply when you transfer objects within a simulator.
>
>              On loading into a sim, if the owner UUID of those objects matches an existing sim user, they will become
>         the owner
>              and have the same permissions as before.  If no such user exists, the ownership defaults to the estate
>         owner who
>              will then effectively get the owner permissions.

>     --
>     Justin Clark-Casey (justincc)
>     OSVW Consulting
>     http://justincc.org