Is there a way to force 'release controls' on an avatar

Is there a way to force 'release controls' on an avatar

Dr Ramesh Ramloll
Hello,
I made a vehicle, am able to drive it around, and pick an NPC ...make it sit next to me, and carry it somewhere else. However, when I am standing up to leave the vehicle, and/or after 'standing up' the NPC,
I find that release controls is not triggering appropriately because I lose the ability to turn my avatar left or right. I was hoping to find a work around that would force me to gain full control of my avatar just to work around this bug I can't find in code right now.
Thanks

Rameshsharma Ramloll PhD, CEO CTO DeepSemaphore LLC, Affiliate Research Associate Professor, Idaho State University, Pocatello, ID 83209 Tel: 208-240-0040

Re: Is there a way to force 'release controls' on an avatar

justincc
On 03/05/13 23:29, Dr Ramesh Ramloll wrote:
> Hello,
> I made a vehicle, am able to drive it around, and pick an NPC ...make it sit next to me, and carry it somewhere else.
> However, when I am standing up to leave the vehicle, and/or after 'standing up' the NPC,
> I find that release controls is not triggering appropriately because I lose the ability to turn my avatar left or right.
> I was hoping to find a work around that would force me to gain full control of my avatar just to work around this bug I
> can't find in code right now.

On what version of OpenSimulator are you experiencing this bug?  I presume you also lose the ability to move backwards
and forwards?

I'm quite surprised that you lose turning as it happens, since even if the network goes entirely dead, the viewer will
still let you locally turn your avatar around even though you can't move anywhere (and those turns never make it to the
server).

OSVW Consulting

Re: Is there a way to force 'release controls' on an avatar

Dr Ramesh Ramloll
Hi Justin,
I retain the ability to move forward and back as well.
I am using opensim 0.7.4 Post_fixes on kitely.
After explicitly naming the seats of the vehicle differently, I now get the following behavior. If NPC sits first, then avatar retains does not lose left right control. If avatar sits first, and then the NPC sits ... then avatar loses left right control when standing up.
Ramesh

On Mon, May 6, 2013 at 3:26 PM, Justin Clark-Casey <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Feature request. OSStandtarget?

InuYasha Meiji
Dear Justin and the Team;

I am not even sure how possible this would be,  because, I don't know if
the client is to blame, or basic old SL disfunction.

I have been bulding many things on my grid, including a boat where the
mopst aanoying thing happens.  I also build a bridge that does the same
thing because I added animated poses to the rails.  Many sitable items
have this issue, but those are the most annoying by far.  When I use the
usual lllsittarget commands if I then use the onscreen button to unsit
the object flings you high into the sky. Only on boats and bridges does
this result in an even more annoying thing,.  This will toss you right
out of an emmersive environment, You can imagine how had it is to get
back into the scene or character after unsit throws your Avatar high
into the sky and into the water.  We have all seen this before I know.
What I am not sure of is, what am I fighting here?  Bad functionality of
sit target, or how the client unsits a person?  Could the addition of a
new form of sittarget be replaced or augmented by a sort of OSSittaarget
be used to cure this?  Maybe this is our chance to cure this mess in
opensim.  Might I even venture to add a  OSStandtarget that will let a
user unsit and turn to face a direction and place the sitter near the
ground next to, or where ever a scripter chooses, without the initial fling?

I have a Japanese kneeling animation I made from scratch.  Used it as a
gesture.  It don't use sit target.  As a gesture I set it to start if I
want to sit in a home or outside and look good doing it. Unlike most
animations that you see it moves the legs and body in a slow movement to
get down on the floor or ground.  Most poses just stick you down, like a
bean bag being dropped with what I can imagine would be a loud smack as
you hit the floor, and sticks a user in a kneeling position.  This
animation is animated on a loop, then eventually ends in another slowly
getting back up.  I wasn't lazy about this animation.  I have some more
adjusting before it is perfect, but slowly gets a person back into a
standing pose by adjusting fet and legs to move you up.  It don't just
spring a person off the ground.   I uploaded this with a small loop
within. I made the loop start once the avatar is sitting down then loops
back to that point before the avatar starts to stand.  So, now I have an
endless loop of movements and hand gestures and rocking a big until you
hit the button combo to stand back up.  That gesture simply ends the
animation.  Using that method produces a complete and last loop and
stands the avatar back into position to walk away.

In my case CTRL-F12 knels and SHIFT-F12 stands.  It is easy to remember
and works smooth.  I was hoping to use that same animation for a tea
room with zabuton.  A zabuton is generally a pad used by the Japanese
and other Asian cultures to sit more comfortably on the floor.  I added
a simple sit script to the zabuton with my animation.  The animation
starts just fine.  Other then the flaw also I blame SL for.  Some reason
the animation are thrown way off by different hights.  I will get to
that in a moment.  As I was saying it starts out fine.  My avatar is all
down mice and slow. Once down it does its loop as expected.  Another
friend can come sit acros the table on the other side.  Later when we
are done talking, I hit the button to get up slowly as expected and I am
flung into the rafters.  Then I ended up standing, and facing the
direction of the camera, on top of the zabuton, back in the kneeling
position. At that point then it continued getting up slowly.  It would
have been perfect if I didn't make that giant leap and turn before I
finished the animation.

I have had the opportunity to be told the hows and whys on some reasons
it does this. Someone told me once it was to prevent avatars from
getting stuck within items once they stand.  MY responce to them is not
if you're a decent enough scripter and also choose to stand in a
targeted posiion  that is not inside the object you just stood up on.
We should have that chance.

I think if possible this might be a chance to fix all that in Opensim
code.  That is if it isn't all the fault of the client side unsit command.

As for height effecting sit position: It would be nice if SL and Opensim
allowed scripters to add some code to not only check for permissions
before sitting, but allow a bit more coding like the ability to do a
avatar height check before setting a sit target position.  In this way
giants who try to sit on objects that would, otherwise, poke the heads
of "Too Tall" a mesage about being to tall to sit here.  This could be
used to lower shorter avatar to have the sit target moved down before
sitting on the object to prevent massive hovering.

I am sorry if this sounds like a rant about a long time messed up sit
problem.  WelI, it could be taken that way as I type this at after 1am
my local time..  ;)
I  was thinking this would be a great improvement over how SL does
things, if this was delt with.  I always assumed the Opensim project
would be an improvment on SL, this would be a huge step in that direction.

Always your friend,  I always am amazed at what the team has
accomplished so far.
I appreciate it to no end.  Believe me this project has given me
something to do with my life.
It gives me something to do when I am not to sick and useless.

nuYasha

Re: Feature request. OSStandtarget?

justincc
This could probably really be relieved by stopping standing from flinging the avatar.  However, I suspect this is
entangled a little with other changes (e.g. offsetting all sits from a root prim rather than child prims) which are
better made first.

On 07/05/13 06:14, InuYasha Meiji wrote:

> [...]
> "Too Tall" a mesage about being to tall to sit here.  This could be used to lower shorter avatar to have the sit target
> moved down before sitting on the object to prevent massive hovering.
>
> I am sorry if this sounds like a rant about a long time messed up sit problem.  WelI, it could be taken that way as I
> type this at after 1am my local time..  ;)
> I  was thinking this would be a great improvement over how SL does things, if this was delt with.  I always assumed the
> Opensim project would be an improvment on SL, this would be a huge step in that direction.
>
> Always your friend,  I always am amazed at what the team has accomplished so far.
> I appreciate it to no end.  Believe me this project has given me something to do with my life.
> It gives me something to do when I am not to sick and useless.

OSVW Consulting

Re: Is there a way to force 'release controls' on an avatar

If you could test on 0.7.5 or later then that would be helpful.  If it still occurs, please open a Mantis with a script
or scripts that exactly reproduce the issue.

On 06/05/13 21:40, Dr Ramesh Ramloll wrote:

> Hi Justin,
> I retain the ability to move forward and back as well.
> I am using opensim 0.7.4 Post_fixes on kitely.
> After explicitly naming the seats of the vehicle differently, I now get the following behavior. If NPC sits first, then
> avatar retains does not lose left right control. If avatar sits first, and then the NPC sits ... then avatar loses left
> right control when standing up.
> Ramesh
>

> On Mon, May 6, 2013 at 3:26 PM, Justin Clark-Casey <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>     On 03/05/13 23:29, Dr Ramesh Ramloll wrote:
>
>         Hello,
>         I made a vehicle, am able to drive it around, and pick an NPC ...make it sit next to me, and carry it somewhere
>         else.
>         However, when I am standing up to leave the vehicle, and/or after 'standing up' the NPC,
>         I find that release controls is not triggering appropriately because I lose the ability to turn my avatar left
>         or right.
>         I was hoping to find a work around that would force me to gain full control of my avatar just to work around
>         this bug I
>         can't find in code right now.
>

>     On what version of OpenSimulator are you experiencing this bug?  I presume you also lose the ability to move
>     backwards and forwards?
>
>     I'm quite surprised that you lose turning as it happens, since even if the network goes entirely dead, the viewer
>     will still let you locally turn your avatar around even though you can't move anywhere (and those turns never make
>     it to the server).
>
>     --
>     Justin Clark-Casey (justincc)
>     OSVW Consulting
>     http://justincc.org
>     http://twitter.com/justincc
>
> --
> 'Consider how the lilies grow. They do not labor or spin.'
> *Rameshsharma Ramloll* PhD, CEO CTO DeepSemaphore LLC, Affiliate /Research Associate Professor/, Idaho State University,
> Pocatello, ID 83209 Tel: 208-240-0040
> Blog <http://deepsemaphore.posterous.com/>, LinkedIn <http://www.linkedin.com/in/rameshramloll>, DeepSemaphore LLC
> <http://www.deepsemaphore.com>, Google+ profile <https://plus.google.com/103652369558830540272/about>

OSVW Consulting

Re: Feature request. OSStandtarget?

Melanie
The flinging is because of bad ODE interpenetration management.
Maybe Bullet can improve it.

Melanie

On 09/05/2013 23:09, Justin Clark-Casey wrote:

> [...]
>> "Too Tall" a mesage about being to tall to sit here.  This could be used to lower shorter avatar to have the sit target
>> moved down before sitting on the object to prevent massive hovering.
>>
>> I am sorry if this sounds like a rant about a long time messed up sit problem.  WelI, it could be taken that way as I
>> type this at after 1am my local time..  ;)
>> I  was thinking this would be a great improvement over how SL does things, if this was delt with.  I always assumed the
>> Opensim project would be an improvment on SL, this would be a huge step in that direction.
>>
>> Always your friend,  I always am amazed at what the team has accomplished so far.
>> I appreciate it to no end.  Believe me this project has given me something to do with my life.
>> It gives me something to do when I am not to sick and useless.

Thanks, Melanie,

I will check into that.  I have in deed ben using ODE.  I was a bit
worried it was Client side and theere would never be a fix.  I will see
how bullet works when I get a chance.  Tonight, I am only reading
email.  My eyes only last so long per day.
Take care.

Your Friend,

InuYasha

On 5/9/2013 5:45 PM, Melanie wrote:

> [...]
>>> "Too Tall" a mesage about being to tall to sit here.  This could be used to lower shorter avatar to have the sit target
>>> moved down before sitting on the object to prevent massive hovering.
>>>
>>> I am sorry if this sounds like a rant about a long time messed up sit problem.  WelI, it could be taken that way as I
>>> type this at after 1am my local time..  ;)
>>> I  was thinking this would be a great improvement over how SL does things, if this was delt with.  I always assumed the
>>> Opensim project would be an improvment on SL, this would be a huge step in that direction.
>>>
>>> Always your friend,  I always am amazed at what the team has accomplished so far.
>>> I appreciate it to no end.  Believe me this project has given me something to do with my life.
>>> It gives me something to do when I am not to sick and useless.

Opensim User: In Gridmode  on Version 0.7.4. Nine Instances with 56 Regions. on Windows 7, 64-bit. Phenom 9500 2.2 GHz Quad Core, Terabyte Hard Drive, 8gig DDR2 RAM.  Used XAMPP to load PHP Version 5.3.0, Apache
and MySQL 5.1.41-community edition.  Groups, Profiles, Vivox Voice and
Offline Messages all working. (Not yet Public, 10 user accounts so far).