Is there a way to reset region or clear all the prims?

Is there a way to reset region or clear all the prims?

Han Xu
hi all,

after playing the region for some time, there are a lot of experimental stuff in the region. is there a way to clear all those prims? or just reset the region to its initial status?

thanks!
han

Re: Is there a way to reset region or clear all the prims?

Vanish-2
For those purposes I usually load an empty oar. Feel free to use it here:
http://tgib.co.uk/default.oar

--
The Twilight’s Green Illuminate Beam,
This Great ImBalance, that I’ve seen,

http://tgib.co.uk/

Re: Is there a way to reset region or clear all the prims?

Han Xu
Thanks Wade!

It sounds wonderful! But do you mean using Imprudence client? I am using SL Viewer and I see only Show/Return (no Discard). I use SL Viewer because it's the only client that gives better support in importing Google SketchUp Objects.

Best,
Han

On 2/26/12 8:52 AM, Han Xu wrote:
hi all,

after playing the region for some time, there are a lot of experimental stuff in the region. is there a way to clear all those prims? or just reset the region to its initial status?

thanks!
han

Re: Is there a way to reset region or clear all the prims?

Wade Schuette
Oh, you're correct about no discard.
I'm using Firestorm v3 to import my sketchup (.dae) files into OSgrid, and it seems to work fine, by the way.

Wade

On 2/26/12 8:52 AM, Han Xu wrote:
hi all,

after playing the region for some time, there are a lot of experimental stuff in the region. is there a way to clear all those prims? or just reset the region to its initial status?

thanks!
han

Re: Is there a way to reset region or clear all the prims?

Karen Palen
Han,

Do you mean that you want to clear the objects, etc. from the database or just from the region instance?

Others have described various methods to remove items from a region in this thread, but the removing objects from the database has more subtle issues.

One of the "todo's" for Opensim is a way to clean/prune "orphans" (unused items) from the database - there is simply no mechanism to do that directly yet. I would happily write an SQL macro to do this pruning, but it is far beyond my SQL skill level!

The way the database is designed is to store the largest part of an object's description once then refer to that via GUID indexes. As a result 10 (or 10,000) copies of an object takes only minimal extra space in the database. A few minutes exploring your database with SQL admin tools should show you how this all works.

About the only way to "clean" the database at present is to save every region and every avatar's inventory to IAR/OAR files, delete the database and restore the information from the IAR/OR files.

This is not a huge problem for most OpenSim grids as yet since most grids are fairly small and in addition the database contents must be reloaded whenever there is a major upgrade to the software (e.g. 0.6.9->0.7.0)

The only time this duplication of objects does become an issue is if you frequently use a viewer based restore (Imprudence save/restore or the like). The viewers do NOT check to see if the object/inventory already exists, but simply creates a entirely new entry in the database for each item. Restoring a large region or inventory several times is often necessary due to errors, but all of the earlier bad and partial restores are permanently saved in the database. With an experimental region this can cause the database to get huge even with only a dozen or so objects actually being used!

Second Inventory does check for objects which already exist in the database and this has been about 80-90% effective in my experience.

The only truly "foolproof" method to save and restore items in the database is the IAR/OAR files which use a completely different method to save/restore the database items.

Conclusion: When possible always use the IAR/OAR files and plan to reload your database periodically.

I hope this helps

Karen

_______________________________________________ Opensim-users mailing list [hidden email] https://lists.berlios.de/mailman/listinfo/opensim-users

Re: Is there a way to reset region or clear all the prims?

Han Xu
Thanks everyone!

I find out save/load oar is a good solution. Now I use it for backup too. Life becomes easier now! Thanks for all your helps!

Best,
Han