LSL Second Life/Opensim incomptability list

LSL Second Life/Opensim incomptability list

Dr Ramesh Ramloll
Hello there,
As I am transferring my content from Second Life to Opensim, I am
wondering if there is some online document that collects a list of
known compatibility issues between Second Life LSL and Opensim LSL.
Let me know if there is one.
Thanks
Ramesh

Rameshsharma Ramloll PhD, CEO CTO DeepSemaphore LLC, Affiliate
Research Associate Professor, Idaho State University, Pocatello, ID
83209 Tel: 208-240-0040
Blog, LinkedIn, DeepSemaphore LLC, Google+ profile

Re: LSL Second Life/Opensim incomptability list

Chris Kennedy-2
There is a list of LSL functions and what their current status and
compatibility is

http://opensimulator.org/wiki/LSL_Status/Functions

Not sure how current they are though =)

--
OpenSim: 9 Region Standalone on 0.7.3 Dev
Physics: Open Dynamics Engine

Re: LSL Second Life/Opensim incomptability list

Dr Ramesh Ramloll
:( I looked at the list and I feel somewhat worried that geometric
functions such as llDetectedTouchPos ... just one of them, is not on
this list.
And here I was dreaming of how the latest things I implemented would work.
Cannot complain because opensim is free, but u can understand my :(

On Wed, Feb 29, 2012 at 6:02 PM, Chris <[hidden email]> wrote:

> There is a list of LSL functions and what their current status and
> compatibility is
>
> http://opensimulator.org/wiki/LSL_Status/Functions
>
> Not sure how current they are though =)
>

> On 2/29/2012 6:39 PM, Dr Ramesh Ramloll wrote:
>>
>> Hello there,
>> As I am transferring my content from Second Life to Opensim, I am
>> wondering if there is some online document that collects a list of
>> known compatibility issues between Second Life LSL and Opensim LSL.
>> Let me know if there is one.
>> Thanks
>> Ramesh
>>

> --
> OpenSim: 9 Region Standalone on 0.7.3 Dev
> Physics: Open Dynamics Engine
> OS: Windows 7 (x64)
> CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 840 3.2 GHz
> Memory: 11 GB DDR3
> Database: MySQL 5.1.11

Rameshsharma Ramloll PhD, CEO CTO DeepSemaphore LLC, Affiliate
Research Associate Professor, Idaho State University, Pocatello, ID
83209 Tel: 208-240-0040
Blog, LinkedIn, DeepSemaphore LLC, Google+ profile

Re: LSL Second Life/Opensim incomptability list

Dr Ramesh Ramloll
:) back on temporarily, just tested and that function works. May be
the documentation needs to be updated or perhaps removed ... because
it might drive people away, especially those trying to escape from the
claws of Linden Lab.

On Wed, Feb 29, 2012 at 6:11 PM, Dr Ramesh Ramloll <[hidden email]> wrote:

> :( I looked at the list and I feel somewhat worried that geometric
> functions such as llDetectedTouchPos ... just one of them, is not on
> this list.
> And here I was dreaming of how the latest things I implemented would work.
> Cannot complain because opensim is free, but u can understand my :(
>

> On Wed, Feb 29, 2012 at 6:02 PM, Chris <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> There is a list of LSL functions and what their current status and
>> compatibility is
>>
>> http://opensimulator.org/wiki/LSL_Status/Functions
>>
>> Not sure how current they are though =)
>>

>> On 2/29/2012 6:39 PM, Dr Ramesh Ramloll wrote:
>>>
>>> Hello there,
>>> As I am transferring my content from Second Life to Opensim, I am
>>> wondering if there is some online document that collects a list of
>>> known compatibility issues between Second Life LSL and Opensim LSL.
>>> Let me know if there is one.
>>> Thanks
>>> Ramesh
>>>

>> --
>> OpenSim: 9 Region Standalone on 0.7.3 Dev
>> Physics: Open Dynamics Engine
>> OS: Windows 7 (x64)
>> CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 840 3.2 GHz
>> Memory: 11 GB DDR3
>> Database: MySQL 5.1.11

> 'Consider how the lilies grow. They do not labor or spin.'
> Rameshsharma Ramloll PhD, CEO CTO DeepSemaphore LLC, Affiliate
> Research Associate Professor, Idaho State University, Pocatello, ID
> 83209 Tel: 208-240-0040
> Blog, LinkedIn, DeepSemaphore LLC, Google+ profile

Rameshsharma Ramloll PhD, CEO CTO DeepSemaphore LLC, Affiliate
Research Associate Professor, Idaho State University, Pocatello, ID
83209 Tel: 208-240-0040
Blog, LinkedIn, DeepSemaphore LLC, Google+ profile

Re: LSL Second Life/Opensim incomptability list

justincc
Yes, it doesn't surprise me if the doc needs updating.

It would be really great if you could change the wiki to say that this function now works as you just tested it :)

More generally, it would also be great to have a wiki page on opensim/sl compatibility but that's a bigger task.

On 01/03/12 01:18, Dr Ramesh Ramloll wrote:

> :) back on temporarily, just tested and that function works. May be
> the documentation needs to be updated or perhaps removed ... because
> it might drive people away, especially those trying to escape from the
> claws of Linden Lab.
>
> On Wed, Feb 29, 2012 at 6:11 PM, Dr Ramesh Ramloll<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>> :( I looked at the list and I feel somewhat worried that geometric
>> functions such as llDetectedTouchPos ... just one of them, is not on
>> this list.
>> And here I was dreaming of how the latest things I implemented would work.
>> Cannot complain because opensim is free, but u can understand my :(
>>

>> On Wed, Feb 29, 2012 at 6:02 PM, Chris<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>>> There is a list of LSL functions and what their current status and
>>> compatibility is
>>>
>>> http://opensimulator.org/wiki/LSL_Status/Functions
>>>
>>> Not sure how current they are though =)

>>> --
>>> OpenSim: 9 Region Standalone on 0.7.3 Dev
>>> Physics: Open Dynamics Engine
>>> OS: Windows 7 (x64)
>>> CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 840 3.2 GHz
>>> Memory: 11 GB DDR3
>>> Database: MySQL 5.1.11

>> --
>> 'Consider how the lilies grow. They do not labor or spin.'
>> Rameshsharma Ramloll PhD, CEO CTO DeepSemaphore LLC, Affiliate
>> Research Associate Professor, Idaho State University, Pocatello, ID
>> 83209 Tel: 208-240-0040
>> Blog, LinkedIn, DeepSemaphore LLC, Google+ profile

http://justincc.org/blog

Re: LSL Second Life/Opensim incomptability list

R.Gunther
The simpel solution for now would be to but a warning at the top of the
page.
That the information on the page can be outdated and need updateing etc.
something like that.

On 2012-03-01 02:11, Dr Ramesh Ramloll wrote:

> :( I looked at the list and I feel somewhat worried that geometric
> functions such as llDetectedTouchPos ... just one of them, is not on
> this list.
> And here I was dreaming of how the latest things I implemented would work.
> Cannot complain because opensim is free, but u can understand my :(
>

> On Wed, Feb 29, 2012 at 6:02 PM, Chris<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>> There is a list of LSL functions and what their current status and
>> compatibility is
>>
>> http://opensimulator.org/wiki/LSL_Status/Functions
>>
>> Not sure how current they are though =)
>>

>> On 2/29/2012 6:39 PM, Dr Ramesh Ramloll wrote:
>>> Hello there,
>>> As I am transferring my content from Second Life to Opensim, I am
>>> wondering if there is some online document that collects a list of
>>> known compatibility issues between Second Life LSL and Opensim LSL.
>>> Let me know if there is one.
>>> Thanks
>>> Ramesh
>>>

>> --
>> OpenSim: 9 Region Standalone on 0.7.3 Dev
>> Physics: Open Dynamics Engine
>> OS: Windows 7 (x64)
>> CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 840 3.2 GHz
>> Memory: 11 GB DDR3
>> Database: MySQL 5.1.11

Re: LSL Second Life/Opensim incomptability list

Wade Schuette
Certainly, start here:     Gory details of which LSL script functions
work and which don't are there.

http://opensimulator.org/wiki/Main_Page

Note -- various grids run different versions of OpenSim,  eg, 0.7.3 was
just released, and not all "OpenSim" worlds work the same way.  Best to
try things and find the forum for the one you plan to use.

Basically,  (correct me everyone else where I'm wrong),  if you CAN
export an object from Second Life,
you can reassemble and reimport it into the OpenSim worlds.  Of course,
it will lose all the textures on the way, retaining only shape and
color.    Unless you created the texture you cannot export it from
Second Life, and even then I'm not sure.

BUT, of course, ALL SCRIPTING GOES AWAY too.
Meaning, you have to go into each and every prim of every scripted
object, find out which scripts are in which prims, copy them out into
some text editor, recreate the object, go back to that particular prim
of that particular object,  create a new script, name it correctly, and
then paste the copied script from Second Life into the place, and save
it.    Objects with multiple prims can have scripts in each and every
one of them, different scripts, some running, some not.   To my
knowledge, there is no shortcut, no way to export and reimport all
scripts to the right place and right states .

Even then, some scripts will not function correctly.  Usually the
repairs, unless it involves physics, are just to do things like add
curly braces where OpenSim expects them and Second Life lets you get by
without them
Such as, paraphrasing one with a cryptic error message:

                    If (condition)  do x;   works in Second life, but
                    If (condition)  {  do x; }  is required in OpenSim,
even for a single line "do x" on the same line.

GTG.

Wade

On 2/29/12 4:39 PM, Dr Ramesh Ramloll wrote:
> Hello there,
> As I am transferring my content from Second Life to Opensim, I am
> wondering if there is some online document that collects a list of
> known compatibility issues between Second Life LSL and Opensim LSL.
> Let me know if there is one.
> Thanks
> Ramesh

Re: LSL Second Life/Opensim incomptability list

Marcus Llewellyn
On 2/29/2012 7:11 PM, Dr Ramesh Ramloll wrote:
> :( I looked at the list and I feel somewhat worried that geometric
> functions such as llDetectedTouchPos ... just one of them, is not on
> this list.
> And here I was dreaming of how the latest things I implemented would work.
> Cannot complain because opensim is free, but u can understand my :(

I can help a bit here my assuring you that there are implementations for
various llDetectedTouch functions in OpenSim. I haven't made use of
llDetectedTouchPos myself, but I have used llDetectedTouchFace and
llDetectedTouchST in the Speedbuild Board on OSGrid which sees regular
use, and has had no issues. Taking a quick look at OpenSim's code, I can
see that there are also implementations for llDetectedTouchBinormal,
llDetectedtTouchNormal, llDetectedTouchPos, and llDetectedTouchUV.

In my experience, the default script engine in OpenSim does have its own
quirks. There are slight differences in variable scope and error
handling. OpenSim's XEngine tends not to be as tolerant of many of the
little tricks and shortcuts that are permissible over at SL. I find it
is generally best, when possible, to write script specifically for
OpenSim. You certainly can port a script to or from SL and OpenSim, but
one needs to be prepared to chase down errors and rewrite lines that the
script engine doesn't like. The larger and more complex the script, the
worse this chore can be.

I think the largest differences will be seen in any script that deals
with server-side physics. This isn't so much the script engine's fault
so much as that OpenSim's ODE physics engine and many of it's settings
are simply different than the Havok physics engine that SL uses, and ODE
often handles physical objects with much less finesse.

Marcus

Re: LSL Second Life/Opensim incomptability list

InuYasha Meiji
Well you told me to correct you if wrong.  I only have to say one
thing.  Old Hippo viewer worked great for exporting and importing, and
so far I can still log into SL with it.  It won't rez some textures, at
least right off, and your av might not show all the way.  My skin
usually ends up white, and some other small problems.

But I only use it temporarily and long enough to export one of my
builds.  When you spend a long time, sometimes days, getting that partly
sculpted, personally textured build all perfect, you don't want to do it
all over.  This won't take scripts, but with old hippo it seems to
gather all your home made textures and sculpty textures with the hippo
XML file.  Then come to opensim and import choosing the import with
textures options.  Now and then a SL corrupted texture might not make
it, but most do make it.

I found it very useful to grab all my personally textured and sculpted
trees.
BTW, when I say old Hippo, I mean Hippo OpenSim Viewer 0.6.3 (LL 1.23.5)
Apr 30 2010 22:08:16 (Hippo Release).

Good luck and hoping this helps you.
InuYasha

On 2/29/2012 8:55 PM, Wade Schuette wrote:

> Certainly, start here:     Gory details of which LSL script functions
> work and which don't are there.
>
> http://opensimulator.org/wiki/Main_Page
>
> Note -- various grids run different versions of OpenSim,  eg, 0.7.3
> was just released, and not all "OpenSim" worlds work the same way.
> Best to try things and find the forum for the one you plan to use.
>
> Basically,  (correct me everyone else where I'm wrong),  if you CAN
> export an object from Second Life,
> you can reassemble and reimport it into the OpenSim worlds.  Of
> course, it will lose all the textures on the way, retaining only shape
> and color.    Unless you created the texture you cannot export it from
> Second Life, and even then I'm not sure.
>
> BUT, of course, ALL SCRIPTING GOES AWAY too.
> Meaning, you have to go into each and every prim of every scripted
> object, find out which scripts are in which prims, copy them out into
> some text editor, recreate the object, go back to that particular prim
> of that particular object,  create a new script, name it correctly,
> and then paste the copied script from Second Life into the place, and
> save it.    Objects with multiple prims can have scripts in each and
> every one of them, different scripts, some running, some not.   To my
> knowledge, there is no shortcut, no way to export and reimport all
> scripts to the right place and right states .
>
> Even then, some scripts will not function correctly.  Usually the
> repairs, unless it involves physics, are just to do things like add
> curly braces where OpenSim expects them and Second Life lets you get
> by without them
> Such as, paraphrasing one with a cryptic error message:
>
>                    If (condition)  do x;   works in Second life, but
>                    If (condition)  {  do x; }  is required in OpenSim,
> even for a single line "do x" on the same line.
>

> GTG.
>
> Wade
>

> On 2/29/12 4:39 PM, Dr Ramesh Ramloll wrote:
>> Hello there,
>> As I am transferring my content from Second Life to Opensim, I am
>> wondering if there is some online document that collects a list of
>> known compatibility issues between Second Life LSL and Opensim LSL.
>> Let me know if there is one.
>> Thanks
>> Ramesh

Opensim User: Standalone Grid on Version 0.7.2 with 56 Regions
on Windows 7, 64-bit. Phenom 9500 2.2 ghz Quad Core, Terabyte Hard
Drive, 8gig DDR2 RAM.  Used XAMPP to load PHP Version 5.3.0, Apache
and MySQL 5.1.41-community edition.  Groups, Profiles, Voice and
Offline Mesages all working.

Re: LSL Second Life/Opensim incomptability list

ssm2017
hello
maybe we can have 2 solutions :
- add opensim status on every page in lslwiki.net (if the owner allows
it for sure)
- clone the same presentation as the one in
http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/LSL_Portal ans also make an OSL_Portal